Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wild Card Hopefuls??

El_DudeArino

Waterboy
Does anyone think the Texans will make a wild card this year and if so why? Personally I feel like David has really matured and he is playing great. I'm predicting a wild card spot this season and playoffs next... :twocents: Texans Will Make Wildcard

We possibly could if we win most of the remaning games,,,hmm isnt the average wild card spot records usually 10-6 ?? If David, A.J and our defense keep playing the way the have the last 3 weeks we can make a run for it !!! All depends on how we and other AFC teams perform !

Ok, would someone like to explain the difference between the wildcard and the playoffs? :um:

SteveMcK4 said:
Does anyone think the Texans will make a wild card this year and if so why? Personally I feel like David has really matured and he is playing great. I'm predicting a wild card spot this season and playoffs next... :twocents: Texans Will Make Wildcard
How about wildcard spot this year and division champs next year. Both get you into the playoffs. Although, I think we could be division champs this year.

Could you guys please jumped back off the playoff bandwagon like you did when we were 0-2.

Lets play the we won't win 4 games, fire the offensive coordinator, the mighty Jaguars coming off beating Indy at home will beat us up and down the field roll. Yep I like this one.... here Kitty kitty...

Wild Card :confused: After we win the next 3 games we will be FIRST in the AFC South Division. And we won't need no stinking Wild Card after that cause we are going to HOST the first round of games IN Reliant. :headbang:

Houston, we have a tough schedule

One team to keep an eye on for the AFC wild-card race is the Houston Texans. It will be an easy job. We’ll know after the next two weeks whether it will be a worthy endeavor or not.

The Texans (3-3) are coming off their bye week. They’re a team that is growing and maturing before our eyes.

Dom Capers’ team is also entering the teeth of its schedule. Houston plays host to Jacksonville this week before venturing on treacherous trips to Denver and Indianapolis on back-to-back weeks.

Houston is not an easy out these days. The offense is becoming solid as the pass-catch combination of David Carr and Andre Johnson is growing into a legitimate threat.

This team is no longer an expansion team. It’s a future stalwart.

Jacksonville (5-2) is a team that has learned how to win and will be difficult to beat Sunday. Either the Texans or Jaguars probably will join division mate Indianapolis in the playoffs, but there’s not room for both. Houston has to make its case this week.

Then the Texans must steal a game on the road against the Broncos or the Colts. Of course, neither test will be easy. But playoff teams overcome tough tasks.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6329784/

I think the normal wild card team has a 9-7 record. I might have agreed with the wild card team had we won the first 2 games like we should have. A 5-1 team would look alot better going into the remaining schedule, than this 3-3 team.

W vs. Jacksonville (Great defensive team. We will be lucky to split the series with them.)
L vs. @Denver (denver is a good team again this year, and at home even better.)
L vs. @Indianapolis (indy seems to always pull a win out on us. even if we are ahead.)
W vs. Green Bay (good team, when brett is playing good ball. depends on which brett shows up.)
W vs. Tennessee (worst titans team in history)
L vs. @N.Y. Jets (at 5-1 they look strong with a rejuvenated Curtis Martin. another tough road game for the texans)
L vs. Indianapolis (payton manning)
W vs. @Chicago (some say is the worst team in football. I agree.)
L vs. @Jacksonville (jacks back)
W vs. Cleveland (The browns are a scrappy team who love to play the spoiler. But at home the texans can take them)

Bottom line is, I think they will go 8-8 or 7-9 depending on the jax game next week. You dont deserve to be in the playoffs with a 8-8 record.

thegr8fan said:
Wild Card :confused: After we win the next 3 games we will be FIRST in the AFC South Division. And we won't need no stinking Wild Card after that cause we are going to HOST the first round of games IN Reliant. :headbang:
The peyote must be in bloom in San Marcos.

I believe the texans are a possible wild card team. be sure you at worst split the series with thte DOlts, however, because at least one wild card will come from the AFC SOUTh and that team will be Indy or Houston. Jags win the south, i believe Byron may just have what it takes to be the first QB playing in his own stadium lastr week in January or first of february.

Texans were expected to comeout of the gate strong and dominate from the start after getting their injured players back. They may not have come out of the gate strong, but they are definitely playing strong now, so anything is possible. I never thought that the defense rather than the offense would have a question mark on it. The answer to this thread revolves around one question, do the Texans have a defense. :boxing:

Certainly not looking past the Jags here... but after seeing how the Texans 1st team performed against the Broncos 1st team in the preseason, and after watching the Broncos against the Bengals, I think the Texans will win handily in Denver. They are the most unimpressive 5-2 team ever. Go Texans!

The peyote must be in bloom in San Marcos.
:rofl:

The answer to this thread revolves around one question, do the Texans have a defense.
it is better than the Colts Defense and you only beat them by 3 pts.

The question really actually is, do your players work well with handsignals from the QB? Cause they can forget about hearing the snap count and change of plays.

The Jags just came from a win in a dome so I'm pretty sure they'll be ready for a loud environment, they were last week.

longhornjag said:
The Jags just came from a win in a dome so I'm pretty sure they'll be ready for a loud environment, they were last week.

I dont think you realize. There is loud, then there is the Texans' fan version of loud. The Texans keep a stat devoted to the crowd, and it is based on how many false starts the opposition has while in Reliant Stadium. Last I checked, Texans are #1 in this category. You'll see on Sunday.

The Texans will have 15,000 more voices in the house than soft Colts fan

AND our stadium is built for noise... AND its our first home game against a division rival.. AND its after a bye week.. AND they shut us down last season.. AND its battle red day.

oh.. AND ill probably be there :)

people in the know keep saying that Reliant is second only to Arrowhead in the noise department. That may be true.. but apparently we are doing something better cause all the teams that have played us at home this year have had a buttload of false start and delay of game penalties

And to add to Grid's thoughts--Leftwich has played vastly better from the shotgun than under center--not a great thing going into a loud stadium.

longhornjag said:

Was Indy loud? I didn't notice the crowd till 3rd downs or at the end of the game. idonno:

Reliant Stadium crowd will be pumped like it's never been! It's the first divisional game against the leader in the division who was 4th in the division last year! We haven't had football in two weeks! It's been 3 weeks since football was played here in Reliant! We can't let Jax get into the playoffs before we do! We aren't letting our team down! The Texans will be fired up and so will we!

Oh yeah.....visitors don't win here on BATTLE RED DAY!!!

It's going to be a pretty tall order for the Texans to make the playoffs this year. When you look at the quality of the teams in the AFC, the competion is just a bit ahead of us, but we're only one year away. I think one of the wildcard spots this year will go to the Jets. The competition for the other wildcard will be pretty fierce with potentially the Jags or Colts, Steelers or Ravens, and the Cheifs all vying for that spot. I like our team, especially the offense, but I don't see us being able to beat out the three of those five teams that aren't division winners. We're a couple of good defensive players away from being a playoff squad.

SteveMcK4 said:

And to those who were afraid of the KittyCats, shame on you!!!! Minnie rolls the Colts next week and the Jags have their bye, ahh yeah we're going roll denver without Elway. Hehehehe!!!!

:boxing:

Wild card is less likely than the division title... Indy is a must win... We have lost to Denver and San Diego- so we would lose a head-to-head tiebreaker. We have a difficult schedule which includes 4 AFC South games. The likelihood that we can get to 10+ wins with our schedule and not win the division is pretty slim.

SBTexans08 said:
Reliant Stadium crowd will be pumped like it's never been! It's the first divisional game against the leader in the division who was 4th in the division last year! We haven't had football in two weeks! It's been 3 weeks since football was played here in Reliant! We can't let Jax get into the playoffs before we do! We aren't letting our team down! The Texans will be fired up and so will we!

Oh yeah.....visitors don't win here on BATTLE RED DAY!!!

Jax has been to the playoffs several times before.

dalemurphy said:
Wild card is less likely than the division title... Indy is a must win... We have lost to Denver and San Diego- so we would lose a head-to-head tiebreaker. We have a difficult schedule which includes 4 AFC South games. The likelihood that we can get to 10+ wins with our schedule and not win the division is pretty slim.
I believe our division will be like the AFC East where the Patriots booted the Jets out of the playoffs or something like that. I think it was like 2 years ago.

dalemurphy said:

Common opponents is the third tiebreaker:

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

Back