Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

who will be the texans #1 and 2 reciever this year

Yea. #1 is a lock with AJ. I like fast guys in the slot, and Bradford is faster than Gaff. So I would put Gaff #2, but you could switch 'em out and be ok.

AJ is clearly a lock at #1. Unless someone really steps up in training camp, IMO the Texans will probably do as they did last year and use both Bradford and Gaffney as the 2nd WR at times depending on the situation.

By position, Andre (of course), and Bradford. But statistically if we keep the same philosophy, it will be Andre and Davis at RB. DD got plenty balls thrown to him last year, besides his carries.

Dilbert R. said:
By position, Andre (of course), and Bradford. But statistically if we keep the same philosophy, it will be Andre and Davis at RB. DD got plenty balls thrown to him last year, besides his carries.

And how many carries did Andre get at RB?... :um:

Good question. I can't remember any reverses. I'd have to look it up and see "if any" - but I can't right now. Don't get me wrong - I am all for DD getting the ball, as much as possible.

I think Johnson had two carries for -10. If DD is our second leading receiver then we are going to have another high draft pick next year.

I think that keeping Gaff at #3 for now is the best bet. Bradford has the speed and the ability to be a great #2. But how many nicklebacks out there can keep up with, and actually keep Gaff from getting the ball. Once Gaff has it, he is going to be gone. With everybody watching AJ and Corey, Gaff will be left in the perfect position.

wags said:
I think Johnson had two carries for -10. If DD is our second leading receiver then we are going to have another high draft pick next year.

Don't forget that Johnson gave up a lot of yards to take the safety on the last play of the Bills game. He took one for the team.

wags said:

AJ had a couple of carries for positive yards and then had that run out of the back of the end-zone safety for minus 34 to end up at -10.

Oops--answered the 1st page without looking at the second page.

We currently have a couple of WR's from NFLE coming to camp I think. We also have the rookie WR's and a FA. I would say AJ, Gaf, Bradford, and then whoever impresses the most during camp.
from the roster:

No-------Name-------Height Weight Birthdate Exp
87 Armstrong, Derick--6-2 ---196 1979-04-02 2
85 Bradford, Corey ----6-1 ---197 1975-12-08 7
9 Charles, Terry -------6-3 ---207 1979-07-18 2
16 Dugans, Ron -------6-2 ---206 1977-04-27 4
86 Gaffney, Jabar -----6-1 ---193 1980-12-01 3
17 Johnson, Albert ----5-9 ---190 1977-11-11 1
80 Johnson, Andre ----6-2 ---221 1981-07-11 2
14 Lewis, Jermaine ----6-4 ---209 1979-11-01 1
84 Moses, J.J. ---------5-6 ----178 1979-09-12 2
17 Starling, Kendrick --6-0 ---193 1979-12-27 R
18 Taylor, Chris -------5-10 ---183 1979-04-25 1
19 Thomas, Sloan ------6-1 ---203 1981-12-22 R

Jermaine Lewis is not having a bad time in NFLE. That is 12 recievers. How many will the Texans be able to keep? Quite a few over 6' 0" I wonder is JJ is gone after this camp? This training camp should be most interesting. :confused:

I think this is going to be one of the more interesting positions to watch when camp starts. I think Gaff and Bradford are going to be pushed by some of the new young draftees. Don't be surprised if one of them is dropped by the team. Shocking thought isn't it. But it just might happen.

DC_ROCK said:
I agree. The only WR position that will be fought for is 4th position WR.

We actually carried 5 players as WR's last year--AJ, Bradford, Gaffney, Armstrong & JJ. The fifth spot is where the real fight will be. Armstrong looked good in his limited exposure last year, showed very well evidently in Canada and reports have been the Texans like him. Not saying he is untouchable, but look for JJ's spot to be the big fight.

infantrycak said:
We actually carried 5 players as WR's last year--AJ, Bradford, Gaffney, Armstrong & JJ. The fifth spot is where the real fight will be. Armstrong looked good in his limited exposure last year, showed very well evidently in Canada and reports have been the Texans like him. Not saying he is untouchable, but look for JJ's spot to be the big fight.

The fight will be for the number four and five receiver. But you could see one or two of the young prospects on the practice squad or IR.

Who would yall put on the practice squad? As far as receivers go. Armstrong impressed me against the Titans.

Fiddy said:
Gaff has to be #2 for this to be a successful season for him
The definition of success for Gaffney and Bradford will not be what # they have on the depth chart, but how productive they are--I would like to see the two of them average 7-800 yds a piece.

With AJ at 1100, Gaff and Bradford at 700 each and DD and the TE's combining for 700 yds, you have a top half of the league passing game--obviously more would be better, but that seems like an achievable goal.

infantrycak said:
The definition of success for Gaffney and Bradford will not be what # they have on the depth chart, but how productive they are--I would like to see the two of them average 7-800 yds a piece.
I thought you guys meant you would be the most productive, I was misunderstood, I meant #2 in reciveing. He needs to have atleast 700 yards for this season to be successful. I think he can do it if Carr stays healthy.

PHAROAH said:
#1 Andre Johnson #2 Cory Bradford #3 Jabar Gaffney #4 Sloan Thomas #5 Terry Charles &
:um: :dontknowa Nah...I don't think so...If Terry Charles couldn't make the Chargers roster, I don't think he will make the Texans roster. The Chargers didn't have alot of talent at WR, so if Charles was worth it, they would have kept him. Just my :twocents:

El Tejano said:
Who would yall put on the practice squad? As far as receivers go. Armstrong impressed me against the Titans.

I see it like this

#1 AJ (of Course)
#2 or #3 Bradford or Gaffney (depends on Camp)
#4 Armstrong
#5 Sloan Thomas

on the Practice Squad
Jermaine Lewis
and
Kendrick Starling (I believe both have the most potential) :bag:

Don't be surprised if one of them is dropped by the team. Shocking thought isn't it. But it just might happen.

What's shocking is that someone would even think that would happen.

rittenhouserobz said:
We currently have a couple of WR's from NFLE coming to camp I think. We also have the rookie WR's and a FA. I would say AJ, Gaf, Bradford, and then whoever impresses the most during camp.
from the roster:

No-------Name-------Height Weight Birthdate Exp
87 Armstrong, Derick--6-2 ---196 1979-04-02 2
85 Bradford, Corey ----6-1 ---197 1975-12-08 7
9 Charles, Terry -------6-3 ---207 1979-07-18 2
16 Dugans, Ron -------6-2 ---206 1977-04-27 4
86 Gaffney, Jabar -----6-1 ---193 1980-12-01 3
17 Johnson, Albert ----5-9 ---190 1977-11-11 1
80 Johnson, Andre ----6-2 ---221 1981-07-11 2
14 Lewis, Jermaine ----6-4 ---209 1979-11-01 1
84 Moses, J.J. ---------5-6 ----178 1979-09-12 2
17 Starling, Kendrick --6-0 ---193 1979-12-27 R
18 Taylor, Chris -------5-10 ---183 1979-04-25 1
19 Thomas, Sloan ------6-1 ---203 1981-12-22 R

Jermaine Lewis is not having a bad time in NFLE. That is 12 recievers. How many will the Texans be able to keep? Quite a few over 6' 0" I wonder is JJ is gone after this camp? This training camp should be most interesting. :confused:
I keep hearing that J. Lewis is having a pretty good season in NFLEurope, but nobody even mentions C. Taylor, who is having the best year of any of the Texans in Europe. Here are his stats:

RECEPTIONS......................No.........Yds........ Avg.......Lg..........TD
C.Taylor, Ams (HOU)...........24..........299........12.5......28t.........3

RUSHING...........................No.........Yds........Avg........Lg.........TD
Taylor, C (HOU)..................2...........41.........20.5.......23.........0

PUNT RETURNS..........No......FC.........Yds.......Avg........Lg..........TD
Taylor, C (HOU).........12......4...........110.......9.2.........28..........0

KICKOFF RETURNS......No......FC.........Yds.......Avg........Lg..........TD
Taylor, C (HOU).........10......0...........211.......21.1........30..........0

Hope to see Armstrong climb the charts this season. He looks like a guy who can really make a difference for our team specially if Gaffney and Bradford dissapear for parts of the season.

1. Andre Johnson
2. Jabbar Gaffney
3. Corey Bradford
4. Derrick Armstrong
5. Chris Taylor (Playing well in Europe)
6. Kendrick Starling
7. Sloan Thomas (really excited by his prospects).

The WR position is one of the most competive positions on this ball club this year. Some of the new young receivers may be more talented than some of you think. Bradford has not really had a totally satisfying year with us. Gaffney has come along, but no one has lite up the board with their receptions. I don't think any receiver, other than AJ, has a lock on his position. But don't be surprised if one of the new young bloods steps up and really challenges the vets. Starling has great hands and could challenge. So could Christianson. I think the coaching staff is going to have some real challenges this year and attitude is going to play a big part in those choices. The vets better not take for granted their positions. I think Bradford and Gaffney are going to have to show that they can produce. The last couple of years there weren't really a lot of challengers, but this year is different. If BJ is healthy, then we may see a similar situation at the TE position. We also took an FA for that position. Changing the offensive blocking scheme might indicate they are unhappy with the offensive production. I just think the training camps and preseason games are going to result in some surprise showings. Actually, it would be very good for the ball club. It would indicate we are on the rise and not standing pat.

look for Gaffney to be gone. dude hasn't shined for the texasn like he did at Florida. Look for BJ to prove somethign and step into the lineup. He is the sleeper for the texans.

MoBlack said:
look for Gaffney to be gone. dude hasn't shined for the texasn like he did at Florida. Look for BJ to prove somethign and step into the lineup. He is the sleeper for the texans.
Gaff aint getting replaced by BJ saying that he is in Denver I think ;), Sloan Thomas wont replace him either. I remember reading, I think in PFW whispers, a while ago that although his numbers were down he really improved and the coaches were impressed. Gaff will be a solid number 2 guy.

If Billy Miller and Bennie Joppru are catching more balls this year than it should take some pressure off of the receivers this year. We were wildly inconsistent last year but that's to be expected of a young team. I think our receiving tightends will be the key to our passing game because teams know AJ is a stud so they'll double him up, so it's important for us that Billy Miller and Bennie Joppru catch some balls consistently through out the season for us to have a balanced attack. Don't forget DD coming out of the backfield, he's an excellent receiver, I think people will be mildly surprised when they realize we have all these options in the offense, it's just a matter of putting it together and being consistent.

I think its kind of interesting when you look at number of receptions that out of the receivers - Johnson, Bradford, Gaffney, Miller, and Davis - Bradford has the fewest by far at 24. Granted he has yardage and touchdowns, but he really hasn't been big in the receptions numbers. Again, if one of the young newbees shines, I think he's on the cusp. Gaffney has done better, but I don't think he's a certainty.

True Bradford did not have many receptions, BUT he only dropped one pass all season, he just didn't get thrown to very often, and when he did get the ball it was huge--rec. avg. 19.2 yards, long 78, 3 over 40 yards and 4 TD's. Maybe the key is getting him more looks because if he could keep anything close to those results up with more receptions he would take some heat off of AJ.

Blaming a WR for their production whether it be Gaff, Bradford or a WR on any other team, begs the questions did the ball come their way and if not was it because they weren't open? If the answers are yes and yes then blame the WR.

You could also say were the receivers getting open and not being passed to or did they simply not run their routes and get open? Are they effective in running their routes? Was the defense very effective against us? Again, there are obviously a lot of senarios. I just think we will have more competion this year and may be will have the same line up, but may be not. We may find there were some reasons our receivers weren't getting the ball as often as we would like particulary at critical times.

Andre will be the #1, Gaffney is #2, and Bradford #3. With already a full season together and they know each other, I think the season will be alot better.
J.J. Moses with settle himself into the leading kick and punt returner.

Again, if one of the young newbees shines, I think he's on the cusp. Gaffney has done better, but I don't think he's a certainty.

For him to be released, he would have to be knocked out by two of the "newbees". In other words if he is now the 2nd or 3rd receiver, it would have to look something like this without him:

AJ
Gaffney
Armstrong
Sloan Thomas
Jermaine Lewis

You take the bottom two off that list and replace them with any of the "newbees" if you like. My point is this; Armstrong and any of the two rookies of your choice will not force Bradford out of a job this year. I think he will still be the same Corey Bradford, but he will be here at least one more year. After that, I think we look to upgrade his position, possibly within.

You can bet that Gaff is a certainty. He's in his third year, (about the time it takes a receiver to get accustomed to the league) has excellent hands, runs good routes, and he was about the 4th option in a very limited offense. Look for increased production from him this year.

I posed the questions I have posed, because I would hope people would reflect back over time and think of all of the 3rd down situations when we simply could not complete a pass to keep a drive going. We are obviously not as effecient as we would like to be on 3rd down situations. Particularly those longer than 2-3 yards. Some would say its Carr, some would say its the line, and I'm suspicious of our receivers - both TE's and WR's. I think this year we will have a great deal more competion than ever. If some of the verterns do not make it and we have a good year, then we might find the problems were with the receivers. The Texans are certainly not giving us much to talk about, so we might as well start a conversation among ourselves. I think our ball club has to improve in a number of areas and offense is certainly one of the leading candidates. Because of Capers attention to defense, I simply think that side of the ball takes care of itself. However, offense is a different question and I would like to see it receive more attention.

Fair enough, and I see your point. I just think with DC in his third year, the improvement of our offensive line, the new found running game (which should be even more improved), and with the addition of Bruener and Joppru, you will see a more consistent offense. One that is allowed the time to check down to the third and fourth options. Gaffney will also benefit from the teams constantly doubling AJ. Or will it be Bradford burning them with the slant?

steve_rutledge said:
J.J. Moses with settle himself into the leading kick and punt returner.
If they keep Moses, Sloan Thomas will not make the team. Thomas is praying that Duff beats out Moses as the KR and PR.

Back