Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who do you want at QB for the 2014 - 15 season?

Which QB do you want starting this 2014 season?

• Fitzpatrick

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Savage

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Keenum

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • Yates

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Look, I still don't understand this Keenum thing. So, I guess I'll just take for granted that I'm slow on the uptake, and just plead with somebody . . please . . . will someone please . . explain to me . . why they think that last year (a partial season) was plenty enough time for Keenum to prove himself?

Originally Posted by CorpusTexan
Ya, I guess Peyton Manning and his 3-13 first season and Troy Aikmans 0-11 season meant they weren't the guys for the job too. Or Drew brees 2-9 his second year or Eli Manning 1-6 his first year. Hell, even Joe Montana was 2-6 in his first two year! Geez

Orignally posted by Dream_Team
Are you really comparing 1st round draft picks vs a UDFA?

Now, if that isn't a straw-man argument, I don't know what is. How does draft position determine how much time you're given to learn the position??? You're telling me that a David Carr can be given 5 years to learn, just because he's a 1st rounder, while Keenum, just because he's a UDFA, is given less than a year? Yeah, that makes perfect sense to me. :rolleyes:

I hate to tell y'all this, but Lord Bills is spot on about this one.

Originally post by humblegeo
Fitzpatrick, and Savage...Keenum got his shot last year and couldn't produce a win in 8 games. A big part of why we went 2-14. Undafted free agent Quarterback that might get another shot somewhere else but not here, I've seen enough of him and Yates too! Time for a fresh start with all new players at the quarterback position. Between the three of them last year they couldn't produce but 2 wins. Enough said.

At least this guy has a set big enough to reveal his true colors. Wanting change just for the sake of making change. :gun:

I don't get the love affair with Keenum. The guy is a bum.

You take out his Matt Flynn game against Indi and he was pretty much all bad all the time, averaging just 6.4 yards per pass attempt.

Keenum had his shot. He stunk up the place.

Of the QBs on the roster, I'd like to see Yates get another shot. He's at least shown me some potential. Savage is a project who needs to sit.

Are you really comparing 1st round draft picks vs a UDFA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does this even mean? Of course I am! Compare CK's stats to their first years and let me know what you come up with. You're the type that blows off someone because of their starting year with a **** team, yet all of the QB's shown have overcome adversity after their first year or two. You don't see potential then fine. But don't sit here and act like he was given a fair chance. You're on some good stuff if you do.

Many people believe in 1st round picks, either because they have all the tools or they have shown something in college, maybe all of the above. That is why they are a first rounder, because several teams were trying to get them.

Few people believe in UFA. They probably don`t have all the tools and are lacking in at least one area. There are many questionmarks around them, that`s why no team didn`t even take a 7th round flyer on them.

First round picks get millions of guaranteed money. UFA get peanuts. Of course you evaluate them differently. I am not saying Keenum doesn`t deserve another shot. I think he looked pretty good, but the pressure killed him. And midway through the season, everything went to hell anyways.

But Keenum had a chance for 8 games. That is more than basically any other UFA gets. He should get another chance to prove himself in camp and preseason, but he hasn`t earned anything so far. If he earns the spot, I´d be happy for him. If he doesn`t I don`t feel sorry for him. Right now Savage is the more intriguing prospect.

Don't really want any of them but Fitzpatrick is the least of evils among these 4. Keenum and Yates have already disproved themselves. Savage might develop into a starter but isn't ready yet.

I have watched 3 of the 4 QBs play in the NFL. And of those 3, I only really enjoyed watching one of them.

I voted for Keenum, even his "bad" games were more exciting than what I've seen from Fitzpatrick (sans Bengals late game comeback vs. us) and Yates.

people are actually clamoring for ryan fitzpatrick to start??????

S

M

D

H

:kubepalm::wadepalm::vincepalm::toropalm:

& people wonder why dre doesnt want to be here?

this is why we will never win a superbowl. instead of rooting to see if keenum can actually do it under the evaluation and tutelage of obrien or going with a rookie who could be something, the fanbase wants a retread failure to play the most important position in the nfl.

I seriously hope you guys think about why you are a fan of the texans and football in general.

I want Keenum to start. I want the Texans to win a Super Bowl. I want $100B.

I think Keenum is going to start. I think McNair believes in him, I think Rick Smith believes in him. I think it would be good for the city of Houston, the fans, & of course ticket sales.

I think OB agreed to give him a fair shot, not that it was conditional of getting the job or anything. But I think anyone can watch last year's games & know we'd have won a lot more if we had Su'a-filo playing in place of Wade Smith.

Yeah, Newton playing ole' style pass pro didn't help, but not being able to convert 3&short, 4th&short, or score TDs in the red zone is what really killed us.

I want Keenum to start. I want the Texans to win a Super Bowl. I want $100B.

I think Keenum is going to start. I think McNair believes in him, I think Rick Smith believes in him. I think it would be good for the city of Houston, the fans, & of course ticket sales.

I think OB agreed to give him a fair shot, not that it was conditional of getting the job or anything. But I think anyone can watch last year's games & know we'd have won a lot more if we had Su'a-filo playing in place of Wade Smith.

Yeah, Newton playing ole' style pass pro didn't help, but not being able to convert 3&short, 4th&short, or score TDs in the red zone is what really killed us.

that's on kubiak.

i seem to remember the great matt schaub also have trouble with blitzes.

that's on kubiak.

i seem to remember the great matt schaub also have trouble with blitzes.

The kid should carry his fair share of blame. If it's one guy, that's his guy, & he should be able to compensate. On a percentage basis, he was behind a "solid" offensive line for more snaps than he was behind a porous OL. He had a good pocket to throw from more, way more often than not.

He, like you, should understand the need to get better. Thankfully he's going to get an opportunity to show that he has indeed gotten better. Regardless what you, I, or anyone here thinks.

So it really makes no sense to belabor the point. You know it's going to happen, I know it's going to happen.... let them go on & on, keep giving them the rope they need. Then come week 9 when we're 6-3 and they're all, "I knew it. I never doubted Case. blah, blah, blah" you & I can sit back & laugh.

I'd offer to share a beer with you, but for some reason I think that's illegal.

TJ Yates. Managed the game as a 5th rd rookie with a good defense and running game. Made enough plays as a rookie to hold the division. We know what fitz is and its not good at all. If TJ struggles, bring in Savage and see if he's progressed. If he doesn't, draft a qb because the texans will be one of the 8 worse teams in nfl.

The kid should carry his fair share of blame. If it's one guy, that's his guy, & he should be able to compensate. On a percentage basis, he was behind a "solid" offensive line for more snaps than he was behind a porous OL. He had a good pocket to throw from more, way more often than not.

He, like you, should understand the need to get better. Thankfully he's going to get an opportunity to show that he has indeed gotten better. Regardless what you, I, or anyone here thinks.

So it really makes no sense to belabor the point. You know it's going to happen, I know it's going to happen.... let them go on & on, keep giving them the rope they need. Then come week 9 when we're 6-3 and they're all, "I knew it. I never doubted Case. blah, blah, blah" you & I can sit back & laugh.

I'd offer to share a beer with you, but for some reason I think that's illegal.

did you see kubiak call any anti blitz plays?

-change the call at the line of scrimmage?

nope. nobody is allowed that.

-slants? curl routes?

nope.

-draw plays?

only on 2nd and long. kubiak staple.

i didnt go to UofH. Just because you want to see keenum get a fair shake at starting doesnt mean you are some UofH homer.

KEENUM DID NOT GET A FAIR SHAKE LAST YEAR.

Not during training camp and not during the season which he was thrust into the starting role of what was one of the most dysfunctional seasons in franchise history. Injuries on both sides of the ball with absolutely no running game.

I find it hard to believe a guy who basically went no huddle spread offense at college not being able to read a blitz.

It was kubiak who couldnt read a blitz not keenum.

Keenum got a fair shot at winning the starting job and just couldn't make it happen. By the end of the season I think it became perfectly clear to the Texan fans that he is not our Quarterback of the future! Yates has also had several opportunities over the years to prove what he can do and it's clear to this Texan fan that he is no better than a second string backup QB. Not impressed with either one at this point.

Although i like Keenum a lot and want him to succeed i truly think Savage will start, and i believe he wont disappoint.

people are actually clamoring for ryan fitzpatrick to start??????

S

M

D

H

:kubepalm::wadepalm::vincepalm::toropalm:

& people wonder why dre doesnt want to be here?

this is why we will never win a superbowl. instead of rooting to see if keenum can actually do it under the evaluation and tutelage of obrien or going with a rookie who could be something, the fanbase wants a retread failure to play the most important position in the nfl.

I seriously hope you guys think about why you are a fan of the texans and football in general.

S M D H, is that your credo?

Sh!tting Monkeys Dig Herpes?

KEENUM DID NOT GET A FAIR SHAKE LAST YEAR.

DOES NOT MATTER!!

If you read the whole post, I'm saying Keenum will get his shot. He can prove whatever the heck he wants at that point.

Although i like Keenum a lot and want him to succeed i truly think Savage will start, and i believe he wont disappoint.

I do too, but we know that's going to happen at some point this season, if
  1. Whoever they deem the starter isn't winning
  2. Savage proves himself ready.

So I don't really think Savage should be an option, we know at some point we're going to see him start, unless for whatever reason we make it to 7-2, with four of the seven games after the bye being home games.

Fitzpatrick, and Savage...Keenum got his shot last year and couldn't produce a win in 8 games. A big part of why we went 2-14. Undafted free agent Quarterback that might get another shot somewhere else but not here, I've seen enough of him and Yates too! Time for a fresh start with all new players at the quarterback position. Between the three of them last year they couldn't produce but 2 wins. Enough said.

I know it's a new concept, but there's NO QB who can do it on his own including the all time greats. They can overcome some problems, but not the magnitude of the problems toward the end of the year.

I want Yates to get a shot , but it will be fitz starting.
Keenum on practice squad since he is the only one with eligibility
Savage will be inactive on game days till needed

I want Yates to get a shot , but it will be fitz starting.
Keenum on practice squad since he is the only one with eligibility
Savage will be inactive on game days till needed

Keenum is not practice squad eligible and most likely would not make it through waivers anyway so they wouldn't try even if he was.

Yeah I guess he was on the active roster for a full year last year I was thinking more about the number of games he played

Keenum is not practice squad eligible and most likely would not make it through waivers anyway so they wouldn't try even if he was.

I herd on the radio the other day that Keenum is still eligible due to the amount of game he was inactive last season even though he started or played in what 8 games last year.

Sent from the future...

What does this even mean? Of course I am! Compare CK's stats to their first years and let me know what you come up with. You're the type that blows off someone because of their starting year with a **** team, yet all of the QB's shown have overcome adversity after their first year or two. You don't see potential then fine. But don't sit here and act like he was given a fair chance. You're on some good stuff if you do.

TBH, I think Case deserves a shot to start next season... just because our other options aren't much better. But if BOB names Fitz the game 1 starter, I'm not going to be angry and claim Case didn't get a fair chance. He got more of a shot than most QBs ever get. TJ got less of a chance, when does he get his?

I don't really care who starts this season.

As long as OB feels that guy gives us the best chance of winning.

Right now OB gets a pass on his decisions - at least till we see how the team performs with this coaching staff.

I don't really care who starts this season.

As long as OB feels that guy gives us the best chance of winning.

Right now OB gets a pass on his decisions - at least till we see how the team performs with this coaching staff.

That's my take on things as well. I want to see how the team is under new management.

Whomever plays QB the best (by the end of preseason, taking into account strength of opponents--ie, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd string).

Hopefully, that will be somebody that can actually win a game or two in the regular season...

:toropalm:

Whomever plays QB the best (by the end of preseason, taking into account strength of opponents--ie, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd string).

Hopefully, that will be somebody that can actually win a game or two in the regular season...

:toropalm:

In that case bring Schaub back. He won 2 games for us last year.

In that case bring Schaub back. He won 2 games for us last year.
You joke but if we could upload Schaub's experience in Savage's body, we might just have something...
Schaub's main problem was lack of arm strength; that shouldn't be an issue with Savage. Savage's problem is inexperience. Schaub has the experience but has a bad wheel and an average arm (some say not even that)

You joke but if we could upload Schaub's experience in Savage's body, we might just have something...
Schaub's main problem was lack of arm strength; that shouldn't be an issue with Savage. Savage's problem is inexperience. Schaub has the experience but has a bad wheel and an average arm (some say not even that)

After all the beating he took about that over the years I thought it was funny in the last game when he chucked one 63 yds in the air without using a mortar trajectory or hauling back to give it his all.

But on your main point, absolutely. You could say the same even more so if you could brain transplant from Schaub to Carr.

After all the beating he took about that over the years I thought it was funny in the last game when he chucked one 63 yds in the air without using a mortar trajectory or hauling back to give it his all.

But on your main point, absolutely. You could say the same even more so if you could brain transplant from Schaub to Carr.

And after he threw the pick six against Seattle, he came back on the field and started throwing bullets for a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Schaub is "not broken" in Oakland.

To me, the Texans have four clipboard holders on the roster right now until proven otherwise. Obviously, one of them has to start, so let's just hope whoever it is can at least not be a liability.

TJ Yates has the best memes of the four:

YatesAliens.jpg

But Fitz is a close second:

35170188.jpg

Although this Keenum one made me laugh:

43086907.jpg

And in the interest of fairness, one for Tom:

image.png

When you get your opportunity in the NFL you have to make the most of it especially when your an UDFA. Did Keenum with his 8 starts in the NFL? I think he did the best he could do. He got his shot. We all know the results. Couldnt make it happen. Sorry UH fans but it really is time to move on and give someone else their shot.

When you get your opportunity in the NFL you have to make the most of it especially when your an UDFA. Did Keenum with his 8 starts in the NFL? I think he did the best he could do. He got his shot. We all know the results. Couldnt make it happen. Sorry UH fans but it really is time to move on and give someone else their shot.

Did Troy Aikman with his 0-11 first season? Or Peyton Manning with his 3-13 first season? By the way I never watched one game of UH. Didn't even know who CK was until he was picked up by the Texans.

Were they undrafted free agent quarterbacks that no NFL team even wanted in the first place?? Texans took a chance with him last year and gave the local guy a shot at the NFL. 0-8 NFL record and one of the reasons we had a 2-14 record last year and new coaching staff this year. We could have given Yates those 8 games but everyone was screaming bloody murder for Keenum. By the time the season ended it was perfectly clear why Keenum was an UDFA. I think he can get better. I like him but not as a starter and I just don't think there is room for him on the roster anymore with Fitzpatrick, Savage and Yates. Get over it.

Ya, nothing you said logically makes sense. Just because he's a UDFA that was thrown into a ****ty situation. Wait, he blows cause he couldn't pick up the blitz packages? Yep, the line wasn't complete ****. So if he was coached up and learned to react to the blitz better he'd still be worthless? It's like you didn't even watch him play. You're an instant gratification kinda guy. You don't use reason or logic. So why is okay for those I mentioned to start horrendously yet it's not okay for an UDFA who obviously showed he's got the skill but needs the TEAM and experience / coaching to back it up. Also, to think that everyone that voted for CK is a UofH fan boy is ridiculous. He's got the most votes for a reason.

I see Fitz as our #2 and the veteran mentor role. Savage is #3 and clip board holder until he's ready, clearly he has potential, but needs time to adjust and grow. Case and TJ have the best shots at #1. TJ did well as a rookie, but has seemed to regress since then. Case played like a phenom for spurts, but poor play calling/management and OL play, as well as injuries basically sunk him.

The way I see it, there are two guys that can help us win from QB position this year--Fitz and Case. You know exactly what you get with Fitz, when he's in a groove he can be a pretty decent QB, problem is his groove usually only lasts 2-3 games. Case showed the play-making ability and arm talent to move the team. I have to believe with OB's coaching/system, Case has a real chance to be a decent QB. I mean he made Matt McGloin relevant, Case seems to have more talent than him, don't u think?

So I want to see Case at #1, Fitz at #2 and Savage at #3. I think this combo gives us the best chance for success next year and success in the future. If we try and throw Savage into the mix this year, I think it will be a mistake, unless it's towards the end of the year. Savage is a #4 for several reasons, but it's clear he needs some time to learn, grow and refine his game. Physically he has the gifts, but working with OB/Godsey for a year and watching from the sidelines will give him a chance to prepare for his opportunity when it comes. We're too impatient today, when you look at McNairs, Rodgers, etc. they had multiple years to learn and grow. They had an opportunity to develop.

Case had an 8 game audition and I imagine he learned a lot about the speed and complexity of the game. I expect him to come back and step up to the challenge and win the starting job. I may be wrong and TJ may be the guy that steps up and takes the job, but in either instance, I'd rather Fitz stay at #2 and Tom solidify #3 for now.

Yeah, I'm with Thorn.

This is a little too early to call for me. I want to see how quickly everyone picks up this offense. I want this to be a true competition and let the best man win and I don't care who that best man is.

If it's Fitzpatrick, I'll be OK with that. He's had issues in the past and he's a journeyman but if our defense is stout enough, we could win with him.

If it's Keenum, I'll be pretty psyched. I'm a UH grad and it would be awesome for the hometown boy to rise to the occasion.

If it's Yates, I'd be OK with that. I really liked the moxy and desire he showed when we limped into the playoffs with him.

If it's Savage, I'd be worried but also, I'd be OK. In the past, rookie QBs were always horrible no matter how well they developed and since that's what I grew up with, I always expect a rookie QB to be crap. So. I'd give up hope of a winning season and hope for the best. OTOH, rookie QBs have started to do remarkably well since Roethlisberger went 15-1. Maybe OB can work some magic with this kid, too. I'd be scared going into that first game, though.

I honestly don't think we've got too much to worry about there. I see him sitting and learning. As it should be.

Ya, nothing you said logically makes sense. Just because he's a UDFA that was thrown into a ****ty situation. Wait, he blows cause he couldn't pick up the blitz packages? Yep, the line wasn't complete ****. So if he was coached up and learned to react to the blitz better he'd still be worthless? It's like you didn't even watch him play. You're an instant gratification kinda guy. You don't use reason or logic. So why is okay for those I mentioned to start horrendously yet it's not okay for an UDFA who obviously showed he's got the skill but needs the TEAM and experience / coaching to back it up. Also, to think that everyone that voted for CK is a UofH fan boy is ridiculous. He's got the most votes for a reason.

The NFL isn`t fair. And there are a lot of guys that want to be QB in this league. CK got 8 starts as an UDFA - that is more than most other QBs get.

I am not saying he shouldn`t get another shot. I like watching him. But he hasn`t earned it yet. He has to earn it in camp. In the 8 games he looked good at times and horrible at times, and his play got worse as the season went on. He showed some promise, but nothing more. So let there be an open camp battle.

And of course you get guys that were first round picks more time - you`ve invested a lot more in them, not just the draft pick and a lot more money but also your own assessment. You have drafted him so early, because you`ve seen the promise of greatness in him. You believe in that guy - and it`s hard to accept that you were wrong.

There is practically no investment in UDFA. 32 team passed on him 7 times, because they don`t believe in him enough. We believed in him enough to get him a roster spot and let him start 8 games after our QB imploded. He should be grateful for that and work his butt so OB doesn`t have a chance but to start him. If he isn`t good enough or another QB shows more promise, he should sit.

That's a tough question because it asks who you "want" starting the 2014 season not who you think "will" start the 2014 season. I'll have to clarify my answer.

I "want" Keenum to start in 2014 because that will mean that OB thinks he's the best option (and that's really the only answer, "Whoever OB thinks gives us the best chance to win") and it will mean that he beat Fitz out of the job. It will also mean that the high points of his 2013 campaign might have been a sign of things to come and that we might get some exciting QB play this year. I want Keenum to start because I like the guy, think he's got some talent, and would like to believe that a lot of what went wrong last year during his tenure as starter wasn't entirely his fault.

Taking my Cougar Red Homer Glasses off now.....

I expect Fitz to start and I don't even know if Keenum will make it out of training camp but he's as likely to be our #2 as Yates, maybe more likely so fingers crossed for Case to hang on one more year. I expect the Texans to win games in 2014 with defense and a running game mostly. I expect Savage to sit most if not all of the year. I expect Yates to get beat out of the backup job by Case but I don't think it's a sure thing. He's closer to the size QB that OB likes.

None of this matters if Mallet gets traded for or we pick up another cast-off QB that OB likes better than either Case or Yates. The only two guys who are set right now are Fitz and Savage.

:goodpost:

One of the better I've read. Maybe because I agree totally. :)

Fitzpatrick, because a stable yet unspectacular QB with offensive weapons like Andre Johnson and Arian Foster and a strong defense can do pretty impressive things given any semblance of luck.

That's a tough question because it asks who you "want" starting the 2014 season not who you think "will" start the 2014 season. I'll have to clarify my answer.

I "want" Keenum to start in 2014 because that will mean that OB thinks he's the best option (and that's really the only answer, "Whoever OB thinks gives us the best chance to win") and it will mean that he beat Fitz out of the job. It will also mean that the high points of his 2013 campaign might have been a sign of things to come and that we might get some exciting QB play this year. I want Keenum to start because I like the guy, think he's got some talent, and would like to believe that a lot of what went wrong last year during his tenure as starter wasn't entirely his fault.

Taking my Cougar Red Homer Glasses off now.....

I expect Fitz to start and I don't even know if Keenum will make it out of training camp but he's as likely to be our #2 as Yates, maybe more likely so fingers crossed for Case to hang on one more year. I expect the Texans to win games in 2014 with defense and a running game mostly. I expect Savage to sit most if not all of the year. I expect Yates to get beat out of the backup job by Case but I don't think it's a sure thing. He's closer to the size QB that OB likes.

None of this matters if Mallet gets traded for or we pick up another cast-off QB that OB likes better than either Case or Yates. The only two guys who are set right now are Fitz and Savage.

I agree 100%! Great post!

Despite the perceived tone of my previous posts, I actually hope Case is our starting QB next season. That is assuming he obviously outplayed everyone else and totally deserves the chance. (Not that he "should" get a chance because he didn't fairly get one last season.) Call me a sucker, but I always root for the hometown guy. Same exact reason I was really hoping Kubiak would work out.

After saying that, I don't think Keenum "deserves" a chance to start. Nor do I think he will be the starter next season. If I had to guess, Fitz is starting game one, with Savage #2. There will be a good battle between Yates & Case for #3. If the Mallet trade ever goes through, so long Case & TJ.

Back