Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Where are we @ with Seth Payne ?

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
He had a good game Sunday and looks like he's recovering nicely from his knee injury/surgery. I think this is his contract year - wonder if the Texans are real anxious to keep him, or perhaps they'd rather retain scarce resources
to use elsewhere for D lineman ?

Payne at full strength is one of the major parts of making our defense work. Without him at 100% we are down to 3 guys being blocked by 3 guys with two left to pick up the linebackers instead of 3 guys keeping 4 offensive linemen occupied.

With Walker at the top of his game it was often 3 defensive linemen requiring all 5 OL blockers to keep in check but that was 2002 and we didn't even really have the linebackers on the outside to fully exploit what we had. Now in 2004 with Walker not scaring too many people, Payne still recovering, and Robaire Smith still getting used to the 3-4 we're not getting the results even with what I think are better linebackers even with Babin in transition. Peek's pass rushing skills are impressive and in Posey's place two years ago he'd have been a beast. Wong is also improved over his first year on the outside but, like I said we don't have that DL anymore.

Payne next year is vital to this teams success. You don't find guys like him just hanging around waiting for someone to sign them. I think he's made good progress but how he plays next season will tell us a lot more than what we're seeing now. He's looked good recently though and I think we're seeing him on the comeback trail.

honestly with payne i would re-sign him but to a two year deal or maybe even a one...he has shown improvement over the past two games but how long is that gonna last...plus he's nearing the wrong side of 30 and we don't know if he's gonna be like walker and start slopping off on productivity

payne is the only highlight of our defensive line. smith is progressing well but except for the few batted balls, he's not getting much pressure and the tackles arent happening. walker has basically disappeared so we've got payne taking on 2 blockers, getting his push, and also leading the line in tackles & sacks despite limited playing time. if he's recovered, he's exactly what a 3-4 defense needs. it's a shame we tied up so much in walker (hindsight's fun) that it'll be tough to find another player of that caliber.

Back