Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

When does age catch up to NFL players?

Hottoddie

Veteran
This article was written in 2013, but it brings to light the life expectancy of the average NFL player by position. Since the Texans are in a major rebuild, I thought this might have some relevance in regards to what position players should be targeted in this year's draft. In my opinion, we're at least two years away from being competitive & three to four years away from being a threat to go to the Superbowl, assuming we draft the right players, sign the right free agents & have a lot of luck fall our way.

As most of us know, offensive linemen take some time to jell together & based upon this article, tend to have the 2nd longest careers after QB's. Defensive backs & WR's come in third with the longest careers before their performances start to decline. Linebackers come in next, followed by defensive linemen in regards to longevity.

Running backs & tight ends tend to have the shortest careers of all the positions.

So, since we're really in our first year of rebuilding the team, it's my opinion that our 1st round picks should be targeting the offensive line & secondary first. I'd like to see us trade down from #3 to pick up some more draft picks (and I think that's a real possibility), but if not, then I believe we should target players that traditionally have longer careers in our first year of rebuilding. In any event, the article is a good read (albeit, a very long read). If anyone has a newer version of the subject, I'd like to read it.

Back