Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What was Capers thinking?

MIGHTYTEX

Waterboy
I was at the jets game and I was stunned and amazed that on the Texans first two drives went for it on 4th downs when it would have been possible to have Brown kick field goals. I understand that we may have been trying to take the jets out early but why not try a 43 and 47 yard field goal and get points and kick off to the jets and give them worse field position. Can anyone tell me why we didn't do that.

they had an injury to chad stanley in the pregame according to the announcers. he came out later so maybe he was getting worked on. not quite sure but it was also in that range where you have to punt perfectly or kick a long field goal. i didnt think it was a huge factor in the game

MIGHTYTEX said:
I was at the jets game and I was stunned and amazed that on the Texans first two drives went for it on 4th downs when it would have been possible to have Brown kick field goals. I understand that we may have been trying to take the jets out early but why not try a 43 and 47 yard field goal and get points and kick off to the jets and give them worse field position. Can anyone tell me why we didn't do that.

Those field goals would have been 53 and 57 yards. The wind in giants stadium is unpredictable. I was actually surprised he did not attempt to punt them deep and play field position. That said, the Jets only got 6 points out those tries.

OK, question #2.

Why did we NOT call a timeout with 40 seconds in the first half and the Jets having to punt the ball. But then DID call a timout with a whopping 3 seconds left till halftime? :hairpull: :thud:

thegr8fan said:
OK, question #2.

Why did we NOT call a timeout with 40 seconds in the first half and the Jets having to punt the ball. But then DID call a timout with a whopping 3 seconds left till halftime? :hairpull: :thud:

that is where i am as clueless as you. i would have called the timeout immedialty following the end of the play. maybe capers didnt trust carr to go out there and run the offense effectively enough to put us in scoring position. he had just thrown a pick several plays earlier if im not mistaken.

So Capers doesn't trust his entire offense to move the ball 40 yards in 40 seconds but he is going to give the Jets the opportunity to punt the ball and hope that JJ Moses runs it back for a TD?

Sorry I don't buy that one.

If your going to let the clock run out and go into the lockerroom, then do so. If you don't trust your team not to 'shoot themselves in the foot' then why load the gun and give them 3 seconds to do so.

im not sure, that was just my thoughts of what happened. i didnt even know JJ was going to try to run with it. the clock starts with the snap and all he had to do was fair catch and that was the half.

Thats merly one aspect of a terrible game by everybody. Somehow we always seem to fall on our faces after big wins and games that teams should be able "build" off of. We should have had loads of confidence after coming back from 18 points down. I think that was harder than playing through a badly ref'ed game so Im not buying that excuse. This team puzzles me greatly.

It's not puzzling at all. Carr has little composure or confidence in hostile environments. Even when he has protection, he hears footsteps. That's unfortunate since the OL has stepped it up the last three games. Then there's a defense that gives up 220 or whatever it was rushing and gets zero pressure on the QB. The problems are obvious. Consistency seems to be evolving into a home-road thing which is bothersome. If this team doesn't have the home crowd behind them, they are developing a bad habit of giving up at the first sign of adversity.

Listen up folks. We're going to have to regroup from this one and continue to grow as a team. We saw some things to build on today and it wasn't as bad as it looked. We're going to have to address that and somehow we're going to have to find a way to respond better to those types of situations in the future. I'm sure that once I've had a chance to look over the film I'll be very proud of these guys and the way the battled through so much.

Ok, so I don't really believe any of that. I just thought I'd give you a little pre-Dom Capers cliche/excuse work. Expect to hear something that sounds like that tomorrow.

I'm glad they tried for the 4th down conversions twice.

I'm glad Carr threw the long ball.

There were some massive failures in the the 2nd half, but I was just so glad to see our team taking some chances.

I did not like not calling the time out before the 2nd half - that's more of what I usually expect from Capers.

We need to play to win. So I didn't mind many of today's decisions.

Seems we had a problem with halftime adjustments. Wade Phillips would get a good laugh.

Hervoyel said:
Listen up folks. We're going to have to regroup from this one and continue to grow as a team. We saw some things to build on today and it wasn't as bad as it looked. We're going to have to address that and somehow we're going to have to find a way to respond better to those types of situations in the future. I'm sure that once I've had a chance to look over the film I'll be very proud of these guys and the way the battled through so much...

:heh: Thanks for the laugh tonight! ..
I'll be listening to the Dom Capers show tomorrow.. :hairpull:

Folks its called game management and this coaching staff has no idea what that is. I have repeatidly made comments during games why certain moves were bad and why? It has fallen on deaf ears, but some of you are beginning to see the same thing. Capers is not a guy who thinks well on his feet and under fire. I have seen this often in the real world and its one of the reasons I don't believe he is head coaching material. Nice guy, wonderful human being, but he's not a good head coach. There is a reason he takes all of the copious notes. That's his security blanket. He over coaches detail to a fault. Remember, when some of the players commented in affect, just let us play. Casserly has to clean house as far as the coaching staff is concerned.

Ibar_Harry said:
It has fallen on deaf ears, but some of you are beginning to see the same thing.

It falls on deaf ears because you can't get past your tiresome 'we need to clean house' rants. It falls on deaf ears because you are never balanced in your critique.

You don't say anything at all about Carr not performing well on the field, even when he's been given good protection. You didn't say anything about the defense giving up over 200 yards rushing, and being last in the NFL on 3rd down conversion prevention.

But no, Harry, you just want to harp on "coaching management' and then wonder why your coaching bias falls on deaf ears. :sleep:

You got to love this. One week, Capers is being ripped by some fans for being conservative and the next week he is being ripped by other fans for being aggressive.

I guess you can't please everyone...If Brown would have kicked the field goal and missed, then we'd of been saying why didn't they go for it on 4th down like we were saying a few weeks ago against the packers.... :confused:

Marcus said:
It falls on deaf ears because you can't get past your tiresome 'we need to clean house' rants. It falls on deaf ears because you are never balanced in your critique.

You don't say anything at all about Carr not performing well on the field, even when he's been given good protection. You didn't say anything about the defense giving up over 200 yards rushing, and being last in the NFL on 3rd down conversion prevention.

But no, Harry, you just want to harp on "coaching management' and then wonder why your coaching bias falls on deaf ears. :sleep:

Did you ever think that perhaps under achievement by all the players on this ball club is due to coaching. I'm sorry, but I too can be critical of Carr, but I think much of what you are seeing in all phases of the Texan's game is due to coaching or lack there of. As has been documented by the Chronicle, Carr took a nasty hit and was never the same in this game after that point in time. He played injured and was hailed by Capers for that. That's fine, but was he hurt enough that he could no longer be efficient. I'm sorry, but there is a lot of evidence that this coaching staff has to go before you see any improvement in the Texans.

Back