Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Laremy Tunsil's worth in a trade?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
A competent talent evaluator .... who is not paralyzed by fear, at the thought of not - being the smartest guy in the room. Prone to cause knee-jerk reactions .... often costly !
We dont know what kind of talent evaluator BOB is. From the trades he made before last season, I would say he knows talent when he sees it. Although the Mercilus/Martin extensions were somewhat disheartening.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
apparently you're not following the information on T will as he is not returning to the Redskins. They have no starting left tackle. They would be trading a 32 year-old left tackle who (again) does not want to play for them for a 26 year old just starting his prime. There is not one other player available in free agency or in the draft who compares to Tunsil. Yeah, that's worth 1.2.
Not going to comment on much of that. We are all following the Williams saga. It doesn't matter that he wants out. No team is going to give up a pro-bowl trade piece + the #2 pick for a guy that they will have to immediately turn around and make the highest paid OL in league history. It's asinine.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think if teams know there is an issue, like us not willing to pay $20M & afraid of a hold out, it will be difficult to get even a 1st round pick.

but he’s worth a top 10 pick. Whether that works out to two low 1sts or a teams whole draft, he’s worth a top 10 pick.

but Clooney was worth a high2nd,low 1st & we basically a mid 3rd so....
Tunsil should fetch a 2020 top ten pick along with a veteran starter, not saying necessarily all-pro caliber, but a proven starting NFL football player.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
We dont know what kind of talent evaluator BOB is. From the trades he made before last season, I would say he knows talent when he sees it. Although the Mercilus/Martin extensions were somewhat disheartening.

He - himself, has admitted that he's not good at .... but then, if he is right about that, how could evaluate himself ?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
McNair(s) are prone to sign off and overpay those they like, those they don’t like hit the road with a chip on their shoulder. There is no talent evaluation process within this organization that’s worth a crap. Just when you think it can’t get worse, it gets worse. Right or wrong Tunsil will become the highest paid LT in the game because ownership/HC/Management was in on dumping Clowney for Tunsil then everything in the draft to get him.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think if teams know there is an issue, like us not willing to pay $20M & afraid of a hold out, it will be difficult to get even a 1st round pick.

but he’s worth a top 10 pick. Whether that works out to two low 1sts or a teams whole draft, he’s worth a top 10 pick.

but Clooney was worth a high2nd,low 1st & we basically a mid 3rd so....
The Clowney deal was handled by OB. As for Tunsil, sure the price could be low if only one team was interested......the moment 2 or 3 teams join the fray, the price is going to go up. My guess, most teams view Tunsil as a Top 3 LT and if Houston wanted to make him available, there'd be zero colluding among interested teams to drive the Texans price down.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
McNair(s) are prone to sign off and overpay those they like, those they don’t like hit the road with a chip on their shoulder. There is no talent evaluation process within this organization that’s worth a crap. Just when you think it can’t get worse, it gets worse. Right or wrong Tunsil will become the highest paid LT in the game because ownership/HC/Management was in on dumping Clowney for Tunsil then everything in the draft to get him.
Had they acted within an appropriate time frame.....the Texans probably get Tunsil for Clowney, straight up and keep their draft capital. Stills by himself, probably cost the Texans a RD5 at best. Texans were just a day late and many picks short.

Last edited:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If multiple parties are interested in Tunsil, the starting bid would be comparable to what the Texans gave up in order to acquire him with the possibility of a player in lieu of the 2021 1st rounder.
It's a strong year for OT talent in the Draft, right ? Is there a sure thing, well within shouting distance of a sure thing in this Draft at LT ? And unlike last year there's several outstanding OT prospects in the Draft, so if the Texans could get a high enough pick by moving Tunsil and at the saem time get out from under what's going to be a huge cap hit
to sign him, well I dunno ?

badboy

Hall of Fame
does the Hopkins trade change anything on Watson and Tunsil's value or possible trades? For the record I think Hop worth much more thean we appeared to get. Johnson better be a superstar.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
If multiple parties are interested in Tunsil, the starting bid would be comparable to what the Texans gave up in order to acquire him with the possibility of a player in lieu of the 2021 1st rounder.
In light of the Hopkins trade I would like to edit my opinion on Tunsil's trade value.

His value is = to what O'Brien can get for him. So.....maybe a 2021 4TH and two passes to Fiesta Texas?

badboy

Hall of Fame
It's a strong year for OT talent in the Draft, right ? Is there a sure thing, well within shouting distance of a sure thing in this Draft at LT ? And unlike last year there's several outstanding OT prospects in the Draft, so if the Texans could get a high enough pick by moving Tunsil and at the saem time get out from under what's going to be a huge cap hit
to sign him, well I dunno ?
Just me evals: Only Mekhti Becton day one starter at left tackle. Most of others should OGs or right tackle. Later picks who could end up at LT: Georgia's Thomas and Josh Jones who is incredible athlete with high ceiling if risky.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I hope everyone that has continued to support this asinine trade for Tunsil is happy with the fact that Hopkins is gone now since the Texans were always going to be desperate to get more draft capital back.

DanielTx

Veteran
And yet you were the one that guaranteed that Watson would take the Texans to the Super Bowl last year in spite of OB
I did and last year is the closest we’re ever going to come to a Super Bowl under Ob. We had JD when I made the thread but he was traded for fish sticks and mustard packets. Besides, majority of you guys picked Savage to start over watson and he’s not in the league anymore. How funny, anywho. Ob can sign 10 pro bowlers in free agency and we will still fail to reach the conference championship. He’s a conservative coach, you won’t reach the Super Bowl like that.

Last edited:

Texas Jake

Rookie
I did and last year is the closest we’re ever going to come to a Super Bowl under Ob. We had JD when I made the thread but he was traded for fish sticks and mustard packets. Besides, majority of you guys picked Savage to start over watson and he’s not in the league anymore. How funny, anywho. Ob can sign 10 pro bowlers in free agency and we will still fail to reach the conference championship. He’s a conservative coach, you won’t reach the Super Bowl like that.
I don't think anyone on this board thought Savage was better than Watson. What some wanted was to sit Watson on the sideline to learn before sending him to the wolves and see what we had in Savage to assess his future viability and establish trade value.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
A traditional quarterback would get killed in this system and behind this line.
Not necessarily. A traditional QB who can make a quick decision to pass or throw it away could be a commodity in this offense and help the O-Line. We lose the big splash plays, but we take what is given instead of the home run, and we can still get down field.

badboy

Hall of Fame
But Tunsil would be better. That’s very important for those that seem to believe making O’Brien GM was a good idea and Watson is holding the team back.
Just to say again I did not want O'Brien to be general manager or head coach. And I do not think Watson is holding the team back. I like a mobile quarterback but not one that scrambles as much as Watson does. Hopefully this will decrease with a better o-line, running back and our new slot receiver.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I laughed at this thread title initially, and didn't bother to open it. Now, there's not a doubt in my O'Brien would trade Tunsil if/when he can't get a deal in place. O'Brien will be insulted when Tunsil's agent rejects the magnanimous offer he and Easterly come up with, and Tunsil will be on "The List". Not a good teammate. Not Texan worthy.

So Tunsil's trade value will be a 2nd round pick, plus the Texans take on the worst contract that team has. Then, Howard moves to LT, and the O'Brien apologists will say that was the plan all along.

A traditional quarterback would get killed in this system and behind this line.
Are colleges even producing pocket QBs anymore? Like the pay phone and disposable camera, stay in the pocket QBs will soon become extinct.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I laughed at this thread title initially, and didn't bother to open it. Now, there's not a doubt in my O'Brien would trade Tunsil if/when he can't get a deal in place. O'Brien will be insulted when Tunsil's agent rejects the magnanimous offer he and Easterly come up with, and Tunsil will be on "The List". Not a good teammate. Not Texan worthy.

So Tunsil's trade value will be a 2nd round pick, plus the Texans take on the worst contract that team has. Then, Howard moves to LT, and the O'Brien apologists will say that was the plan all along.

Are colleges even producing pocket QBs anymore? Like the pay phone and disposable camera, stay in the pocket QBs will soon become extinct.
Joe Burrow is a "Pocket QB" that possesses the capability to scramble when pressured. All signs point to him being the #1 pick this year.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Joe Burrow is a "Pocket QB" that possesses the capability to scramble when pressured. All signs point to him being the #1 pick this year.
If Joe Burrow, who has 12 rushing TDs the past 2 seasons, owns a 100 yard game vs. A&M, and had 64 yds vs Bama, 41 yards vs Georgia, and 58 yards in the NC game vs Clemson, is the new definition of a pocket QB...that pretty much makes my point.

Tua would probably be a better example. Let's see how a 6 foot, not as mobile QB does in today's NFL.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

1. You really believe this? LMAO

2. Tell me how many QBs that can't throw consistently from the pocket that have won SB's?

You have guys that can run but use that as a weapon of last resort. Mahomes is a good example of this.

People have been saying what you're saying for yrs and it hasn't happened yet.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Did I say that? What we're going to see the end of are the guys that can't escape the pocket and make off schedule plays. Like a Mahomes. Like a Watson. Wilson, Prescott, Burrows, etc.

This has been the case for yrs. Even Brady moves around very well in a 5 yd area. Big Ben has escapablility.

The point is you've got to throw from the pocket consistently.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Lucky, Rico, Optimistic or any other member can you please post some videos and stats that actually shows Watson inconsistency in the pocket. Mainly the ones while the pocket was clean and a few when the pocket collapsed and Watson didn’t have any time to throw. The reason I asked, is because we all know Steel will not provide us with this data to back up his claim.

Earl , Thunder,

Last edited: