Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What are the new challenge rules?

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I was surprised that the Jags were allowed to challenge the call on the illegal forward pass. I always thought that you couldn't challenge penalties. I get that this isn't like most penalties, but is there some kind of clear definition of what can and can't be challenged?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I believe it stems from the rule that penalties cannot be replay reviewed to determine whether or not they should or shouldn't have been handed out and therefore cannot be challenged............with the only exceptions being 12 men on the field or an illegal forward pass.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I was surprised that the Jags were allowed to challenge the call on the illegal forward pass. I always thought that you couldn't challenge penalties. I get that this isn't like most penalties, but is there some kind of clear definition of what can and can't be challenged?
I thought scoring plays were automatically reviewed and that throwing the challenge flag prevented the review from happening.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I thought scoring plays were automatically reviewed and that throwing the challenge flag prevented the review from happening.
Since it was called a penalty it wouldn't have generated an auto review. At least that's what I thought.

bigmck

Rookie
Yes, but this is strange to me. Why if a coach throws his flag should it negate a review? The Official could just tell the coach it is under review. Anyone know the reason for this?

Shishkabob

All Pro
I believe it stems from the rule that penalties cannot be replay reviewed to determine whether or not they should or shouldn't have been handed out and therefore cannot be challenged............with the only exceptions being 12 men on the field or an illegal forward pass.
I think intentional grounding is one of those as well

Shishkabob

All Pro
Yes, but this is strange to me. Why if a coach throws his flag should it negate a review? The Official could just tell the coach it is under review. Anyone know the reason for this?
umm from what I remember about it when is was called against Jim Schwartz and the Lions when they played us, if you throw the challenge flag on a play that is going to be automatically reviewed then it's a delay of game, therefor making the previous play unreviewable or something like that.