Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to the Texans, OT Laremy Tunsil.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Yea the length of the deal makes it just one more failure by the Texans and a big win for Tunsil who now can be a FA still in his prime at 28.
Janice had better wrest control of this franchise from those two think-skulled bozos, son Cal and O'Brien, before they ruin her late husbands football franchise.
Tunsil betting on himself... I bet if he had an agent, the agent would push for a longer term.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
For next year, the Texans have about $35 million in capspace.

They still need to sign Watson, Fuller, Cunningham and draft picks.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
For next year, the Texans have about $35 million in capspace.

They still need to sign Watson, Fuller, Cunningham and draft picks.

On the bright side, the draft picks shouldn't cost much. Do they really need to sign Fuller? Let's see if he can stay healthy for a season.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Seems like a decent deal, we knew he’d be getting what seemed like QB money only a couple of years ago, but Texans aren’t tied to him long term so he can’t slack off. Meanwhile deals at the moment seemingly cause player loyalty issues 2 years down the line so why not keep it short term.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Texans have $16 million in capspace left this year.

Does not include Bradley Roby possible LTBE incentives for 2020.
Does not include Tim Jernigan.
Does not include Michael Thomas
Waiting on confirmation on minor details of Laremy Tunsil extension

With the money and draft capital tied up on offense, this should be a top five unit, anything less is inexcusable. I'm talking to you BOB...

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Because Lane Johnson & Trent Brown got ridiculous contracts. The next Starting LT to sign a deal will sign an expensive contract.
Airballs are all you will continually throw up here. Lol!

He got a 22 Million dollar a year contract. The most before was like 17 or 18. He should have gotten just a slight bump above the last highest contract based on the ridiculous standards that the NFL abides by on FA's. That's why its pretty stupid to sign guys to those max deals and to find rookies with high potential that you can use for several years like the Cowboys did on their offensive line, and just like Miami is doing right now. By trading for Tunsil with all of those draft picks and not "immediately" resigning for him you allowed a huge amount of "leverage" to go in his direction whenever that negotiation started, because he was always going to know that he wasn't going to be traded or let go after the Texans gave away the worst compensation ever for him. He got 4 or 5 Mill over the last highest paid contract. What the hell are you arguing here honestly? This deal is atrocious.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He should have gotten just a slight bump above the last highest contract
Lane Johnson is getting $18.5M/yr

Tunsil is getting $19M/yr

That's why its pretty stupid to sign guys to those max deals and to find rookies with high potential that you can use for several years like the Cowboys did on their offensive line, and just like Miami is doing right now.
The Texans have been to the playoffs more consistently than the Cowboys & Miami. Maybe they aren’t the model for success you think they are.

What the hell are you arguing here honestly?
My argument is & has always been we’ll have to wait & see if the Tunsil trade was worth it. I further defined that if we’re in the AFCCG by 2020 with a good chance to win, I would think it was worth it.

Furthermore, I wouldn’t have made the trade. I was high on Davenport as a stopgap. But BO’b brought Matt Khalil in to start. I much prefer trading for Tunsil & Stills than starting Matt Khalil.

texan279

Hall of Fame
I didn’t say the Texans were a model for success. I said the Cowboys & Dolphins weren’t.
Cowboys did have the #1 offense in the NFL last season. Built their O line through the draft. We've got three 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks invested in the tackle position alone. Maybe there is something to learn from Dallas on building the trenches through the draft.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Cowboys did have the #1 offense in the NFL last season. Built their O line through the draft. We've got three 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks invested in the tackle position alone. Maybe there is something to learn from Dallas on building the trenches through the draft.
How'd they do in the playoffs? All they had to do was wi. 9 games to qualify.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I am finding that Dallas was #3 offense.

The Baltimore Ravens finished first in points and second in yards. The offense was led by Lamar Jackson and a terrific rushing attack, but they were also very aggressive on fourth down. Baltimore ranked first in passing touchdowns and second in rushing touchdowns.

Dallas did however have the #1 offensive line.

texan279

Hall of Fame
I am finding that Dallas was #3 offense.

The Baltimore Ravens finished first in points and second in yards. The offense was led by Lamar Jackson and a terrific rushing attack, but they were also very aggressive on fourth down. Baltimore ranked first in passing touchdowns and second in rushing touchdowns.

Dallas did however have the #1 offensive line.

Dallas had most yards per game average per ESPN.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The point is none of it really matters unless you make it to the big game, and none of them did. Those AFC South champ banners are basically toilet paper.
There's toilet paper & then there's toilet paper. The Texans are one kind, the kind that does it's job, win games. The Cowboys & Dolphins are the kind that leaves you with crap on your hands.

You want to hold Dallas & Miami up as a standard, fine. Just don't make sense how you can complain about Houston.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The point is none of it really matters unless you make it to the big game, and none of them did. Those AFC South champ banners are basically toilet paper.
By that line of thinking only two teams each year ever do anything right. If SB is the the only acceptable standard for a good season then yeah 30 teams suck every year and of the last two only one would be good and the other decent.

texan279

Hall of Fame
There's toilet paper & then there's toilet paper. The Texans are one kind, the kind that does it's job, win games. The Cowboys & Dolphins are the kind that leaves you with crap on your hands.

You want to hold Dallas & Miami up as a standard, fine. Just don't make sense how you can complain about Houston.
I complain about Houston because it's been nothing but losing and mediocrity since day one. We haven't even sniffed a conference championship visit in what 17 years now? And I will hold Dallas' offense up as a standard all day compared to Houston's offense.

texan279

Hall of Fame
By that line of thinking only two teams each year ever do anything right. If SB is the the only acceptable standard for a good season then yeah 30 teams suck every year and of the last two only one would be good and the other decent.
You're taking it to the extreme. But isn't the super bowl every NFL team's goal? Is there really anything a team can brag about if they don't make it there?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Airballs are all you will continually throw up here. Lol!

He got a 22 Million dollar a year contract. The most before was like 17 or 18. He should have gotten just a slight bump above the last highest contract based on the ridiculous standards that the NFL abides by on FA's. That's why its pretty stupid to sign guys to those max deals and to find rookies with high potential that you can use for several years like the Cowboys did on their offensive line, and just like Miami is doing right now. By trading for Tunsil with all of those draft picks and not "immediately" resigning for him you allowed a huge amount of "leverage" to go in his direction whenever that negotiation started, because he was always going to know that he wasn't going to be traded or let go after the Texans gave away the worst compensation ever for him. He got 4 or 5 Mill over the last highest paid contract. What the hell are you arguing here honestly? This deal is atrocious.
And you are making ridiculous claims based upon annual average which no one looks at to compare contracts except as bragging rights of players and agents. GTD $ is priority. Looking at this most OTs fully GTD has increase by 4 to 5 million. Tunsils's 40 fully GTD took step
I complain about Houston because it's been nothing but losing and mediocrity since day one. We haven't even sniffed a conference championship visit in what 17 years now? And I will hold Dallas' offense up as a standard all day compared to Houston's offense.
But it hasn't been losing every year despite what you claim the record shows differently. And that is why Cal McNair is letting OBrien do his thing. If you want to talk about team improvement not being enough, we are on same page.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Since 2002 the Texans have been the model of success compared to Dallas & Miami.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
You're taking it to the extreme. But isn't the super bowl every NFL team's goal? Is there really anything a team can brag about if they don't make it there?
So you said I’m taking it to the extreme after saying that nothing matters except making to the super bowl and even in this post a team can’t brag about anything if they don’t make it. How is anything I said different from what you’ve said twice now?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
:spit:

So a team that has had one playoff appearance in 10 years and last conference championship in 24 years is better than the Texans track record? You really have a double standard.

By the way since you also mentioned Miami their last playoff appearance was in 2016, last win was in 2000 and last conference championship appearance was in 1984.

But sure Miami and Dallas are far better teams and Houston is the one that is nothing but losing and mediocrity. I don’t even know where to go with that.

texan279

Hall of Fame
And you are making ridiculous claims based upon annual average which no one looks at to compare contracts except as bragging rights of players and agents. GTD $ is priority. Looking at this most OTs fully GTD has increase by 4 to 5 million. Tunsils's 40 fully GTD took step

But it hasn't been losing every year despite what you claim the record shows differently. And that is why Cal McNair is letting OBrien do his thing. If you want to talk about team improvement not being enough, we are on same page.
Re-read what I posted. Losing AND mediocrity. And I never said "losing every year".

texan279

Hall of Fame
:spit:

So a team that has had one playoff appearance in 10 years and last conference championship in 24 years is better than the Texans track record? You really have a double standard.

By the way since you also mentioned Miami their last playoff appearance was in 2016, last win was in 2000 and last conference championship appearance was in 1984.

But sure Miami and Dallas are far better teams and Houston is the one that is nothing but losing and mediocrity. I don’t even know where to go with that.
First, I never mentioned Miami. Second, I'm talking about today, right now, 2020. Not ten years ago. And yes, Dallas' O line is one that should be modeled after.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
First, I never mentioned Miami. Second, I'm talking about today, right now, 2020. Not ten years ago. And yes, Dallas' O line is one that should be modeled after.
You are correct, got my "Tex" mixed up. As far as Dallas goes, yes they have had a good Oline but where has it gotten them? I will take the Texans win-lose record over Dallas's offense stats and Oline any day of the week. Also today, right now, 2020 Dallas is just coming off a season where they missed the playoffs in a division that was so bad that 3 out of 4 HCs were fired pretty much as soon as the season ended and they are now in a fight with their supposed franchise QB. You may think division championships are toilet paper and that's your right but Dallas would desperately love to have some toilet paper right now because they been sitting around on the toilet for over two decades without any.

texan279

Hall of Fame
You are correct, got my "Tex" mixed up. As far as Dallas goes, yes they have had a good Oline but where has it gotten them? I will take the Texans win-lose record over Dallas's offense stats and Oline any day of the week. Also today, right now, 2020 Dallas is just coming off a season where they missed the playoffs in a division that was so bad that 3 out of 4 HCs were fired pretty much as soon as the season ended and they are now in a fight with their supposed franchise QB. You may think division championships are toilet paper and that's your right but Dallas would desperately love to have some toilet paper right now because they been sitting around on the toilet for over two decades without any.
Yea, I'm talking just O line. I'm taking Watson over Prescott every day of the week. And Ezekiel over anyone we have at RB on our roster.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Yea, I'm talking just O line. I'm taking Watson over Prescott every day of the week. And Ezekiel over anyone we have at RB on our roster.
Notice how they've now had to pathetically attempt to frame this conversation to a point of comparing it to the Cowboys or the Dolphins overall record or team or all of these other things that are irrelevant. We were taking about he offensive lines of the Cowboys and how it was built along with the situation Miami was in and how they are now as far as their OT situation goes. They know Miami fleeced us. They just don't want to throw the towel in on these egregious defenses for such a terrible trade by O'Brien. They'd rather keep digging in their toes. Ego is pesky thing.

Last edited:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

:spit: You still defending Bob's disruptions on this salary cap and the draft capital?

Again go look at what Miami is paying their OT right now. They didn't have to reach. They just had to call the Texans to get all of their draft picks for the next few years where they could rinse and repeat with Tunsil once they knew his contract was coming up and that Bob was available to be taken for a ride. San Fran having Staley wait to to announce his retirement so that they could pull the wool all over the league's faces to land Williams was brilliant. Something your GM Bob will never do, but could have. But you'll remain here mansplaining his negotiations of desperation all day long. Meanwhile, he is probably yelling at someone right now like he was on draft day trying to figure out how San Fran did what they did.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well that's the problem, that is not the argument you jumped into. None of those are.

texan279

Hall of Fame
& what has it got them? It's all about the Super Bowl, first & foremost. Winning next. The best O Line in the league somewhere after.
Number one offense in the NFL (YPG), and they didn't have to trade away tons of draft capital on a LT. It gets them a QB who was only sacked 23 times last season (Prescott) versus being sacked 55 times (Watson), which was most in the NFL. It gets your running back the 4th most rushing yards in the NFL (Elliot). The Texans have three 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks tied up in three offensive tackles alone. And one of them was the most penalized player in the NFL last season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I was talking offensive line, and you jumped into the playoffs...

View attachment 5982
That's not where the argument started.

That's why its pretty stupid to sign guys to those max deals and to find rookies with high potential that you can use for several years like the Cowboys did on their offensive line, and just like Miami is doing right now.
The Texans have been to the playoffs more consistently than the Cowboys & Miami. Maybe they aren’t the model for success you think they are.