Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to the Texans, OT Laremy Tunsil.

I’m honestly not sure how you could calculate that because there are so many variables it’s not even funny. For example a guy like Dillard in the last draft had great value to the Eagles because they could let him ride the bench behind a HoF LT and learn. To the Texans, however, his value wasn’t as great because they needed an immediate answer and he wouldn’t be that.

Even Tunsil he had huge value to the Texans, because of that immediate answer, but Miami is in rebuild so they would have shopped him out long before his contract was up because he was worth far more in picks than position.

Likewise linemen are less valuable to a team with a super fast release, Brady, than a team that has a laser accurate pocket passer who needs time to throw, Brees.
I'm Miami, I trade high round two for Derek Carr, 1.5 LT Becton, 1.19 best WR & 1.26 best RB. That could out them into middle pack with two firsts and two seconds 2021. I would also consider trading those this year due to deep talent or to trade up 2021 for QB Trevor Lawrence.

Tunsil and his agent may want 20M per year on a 5 year deal but his 2021 Market Value per Sportrac has him at:

5 Years / 91M / 18.2M Per Year

Trent Williams on the other hand would come cheaper and on a shorter contract. His 2021 Market Value per Sportrac has him at:

3 Years / 46M / 15.3M Per Year **His age and medical concerns will be a factor**

AVERAGES4.3$70,000,000$16,470,58827.5
PLAYERLENGTHVALUEAVG. SALARYAGE WHEN SIGNED
Lane Johnson (RT) EAGLES4$72,000,000$18,000,00029
Trenton Brown (RT) RAIDERS4$66,000,000$16,500,00025
Taylor Lewan (LT) TITANS5$80,000,000$16,000,00027
Nate Solder (LT) GIANTS4$62,000,000$15,500,00029

Taylor Lewan is the highest paid NFL LT at the moment. His contract in general terms breaks down as follows:
CONTRACT TERMS: 5 YRS / $80,000,000SIGNING BONUS: $11,000,000AVERAGE SALARY: $16,000,000GTD AT SIGNING: $34,000,000TOTAL GTD: $50,000,000FREE AGENT:
2024 / UFA

If I could move Tunsil to the Redskins in a trade for Trent Williams......the contract numbers should work out in the Texans favor. Not to mention, I'd push for a swap of RD3 picks. The Texans would get the Redskins RD3-02-66 and the Redskins would receive the Texans RD3-26-90 pick.

A major precursor, Cal and OB would have to get TW a new contract as part of the deal so they don't find themselves in the Tunsil situation come 2021.

In the bigger picture, getting TW's off the books when the Scharping would need a new deal could be great timing in 2022. Howard would come around in 2023. A new RG in the 2020 NFL Draft would come around in 2024. A new LT in the 2022 NFL Draft would be solid through 2027. Somewhere along the way a new Center would be brought on board. This could be a way to see the Texans keep their developed OL together.

Tunsil and his agent may want 20M per year on a 5 year deal but his 2021 Market Value per Sportrac has him at:

Trent Williams on the other hand would come cheaper and on a shorter contract. His 2021 Market Value per Sportrac has him at:

3 Years / 46M / 15.3M Per Year **His age and medical concerns will be a factor**

Taylor Lewan is the highest paid NFL LT at the moment. His contract in general terms breaks down as follows:

CONTRACT TERMS: 5 YRS / $80,000,000SIGNING BONUS: $11,000,000AVERAGE SALARY: $16,000,000GTD AT SIGNING: $34,000,000TOTAL GTD: $50,000,000FREE AGENT:
2024 / UFA
If I could move Tunsil to the Redskins in a trade for Trent Williams......the contract numbers should work out in the Texans favor. Not to mention, I'd push for a swap of RD3 picks. The Texans would get the Redskins RD3-02-66 and the Redskins would receive the Texans RD3-26-90 pick.

A major precursor, Cal and OB would have to get TW a new contract as part of the deal so they don't find themselves in the Tunsil situation come 2021.

In the bigger picture, getting TW's off the books when the Scharping would need a new deal could be great timing in 2022. Howard would come around in 2023. A new RG in the 2020 NFL Draft would come around in 2024. A new LT in the 2022 NFL Draft would be solid through 2027. Somewhere along the way a new Center would be brought on board. This could be a way to see the Texans keep their developed OL together.

Trent Williams is seeking a 20 million a year contract as well.

Ok but that's what afford means in the larger context. They should have known what was coming this off-season.

Apparently, they didn't.

Remember when I said they were acting out of desperation? Getting rid of their GM like they did at the last moment. Bill O’Brien had to make some bold moves imo to keep his job. Plus the Patriots blocking our attempt to acquire ole buddy.

So of course they didn’t look into the future. A lot of their plans backfired.

I think the bigger question the Texans should ask themselves; can we assemble enough talent fast enough to take advantage of the current players still playing under reasonable contracts, core players coming up for new contracts and Watt who might be done as a player in the next 2 seasons?

Personally, the Texans just weren't built in the proper manner. Whether it was Smith, Gain, or O'Brien's fault (actually it's all their faults).....this situation is not going to move forward favorably.

I just don't get the warm and fuzzies thinking about OB assembling the final pieces of the puzzle to push this team to the top. The Texans 2020 FA class is presenting its very own challenges and by 2021 the Texans FA class could prove to be a heartbreaker. When considering this, a team in the Texans shoes would lean heavily on the draft to plug holes but the Texans possess little draft capital to work with. At best, they'd be losing players and could only hope the COMP Pick scales lean in their favor......again, that's not the way to build or keep a team afloat.

No one could stop the Texans from following the Astros recipe and build from the bottom up. As I've mentioned on numerous occasions......this is a message board and all thoughts can be tabled as if we were all sitting around enjoying a beer and exchanging ideas. With that being said, I'd be behind a sell-off of talent while lining the coffers for 2020 and 2021 with as many draft picks as possible. If the Texans hired a mentor for Cal, a new GM, and a HC who could assemble a staff of successful teachers......then I'd be ok with rooting for a young team as they take their licks during the rebuilding process.

At the moment, the Texans are built to break our hearts and sink themselves deep enough in the draft that the measly few picks they have in 2020 and 2021 may prove to be wasted with an inexperienced GM and talent evaluator like OB calling the shots.

With the talent available in the 2020 NFL Draft.....a team like the Dolphins could really turn their team around with a solid draft. They could get ahead of the Texans in a hurry.

He’s going to be paid big time. Hopefully he doesn’t turn out like Solders and Brown. Both of these players didn’t perform up to those massive contracts they received. Two players a few on here wanted so badly.

Brown performed well until he got hurt.

Check it out Laremy Tunsil found the cure for Corona Virus!!! (weed smoke optional)

gas-mask.ashx

2024 / UFA

I like your thinking but I would not trade Tunsil for TWill and only swap 3rd round pick. Tunsil value much higher. I need 1.2 somehow in that swap. A larger overall deal as I've discussed would bring 1.2 and 3.66 plus Haskins for Tunsil plus a WR like Will Fuller would get my attention.

I'm rubber and you are glue. What bounces off me sticks to you! My daddy's bigger than yours. I'm not you are! Mom, he's looking at me!

Whoops. Slipped back into first grade for a minute..carry on.

There were a lot of fans of the Tunsil deal as it happened — I’m not surprised by this, because the bill has not even begun to come due. But I wonder if you’d told those same fans that Hopkins would be dealt because of the Tunsil trade how much the reactions would change.
When you see these two trades as interconnected, and you realize how badly the Texans got wiped in the exchange, the idea that there’s some grand plan here is laughable. Just based on the merits of the players as they have played on the field, I wouldn’t trade Hopkins for Tunsil straight up. Yet because the Texans made a trade for Tunsil and hijacked their future cap space with it, they didn’t feel they could properly negotiate a contract for Hopkins. So, they settled for an inferior receiver, giving up (not the exact pick but) the only excess asset they got out of the Hopkins trade in the first place.
That’s straight from the GM’s mouth. There’s no speculation here.

We've been through this 1,000 times. The trade compensation was fair.

They knew Tunsil was going to get top $$$$ when his contract time came up. You know like all 25 yr old Pro Bowl LT's get paid. Why? Because he's really good and his best football is ahead of him.

They knew Tunsil was going to get top $$$$ when his contract time came up. You know like all 25 yr old Pro Bowl LT's get paid. Why? Because he's really good and his best football is ahead of him.

Should have negotiated the contract as the trade was being finalized just like every other responsible front office would have done. Tunsil would have settled for a lot less money if he had to sign the extension at the time of the trade instead of afterward when he has 100% of the leverage.

Should have negotiated the contract as the trade was being finalized just like every other responsible front office would have done. Tunsil would have settled for a lot less money if he had to sign the extension at the time of the trade instead of afterward when he has 100% of the leverage.

Maybe Tunsil's agent told Tunsil not to do a new deal until after the new CBA was done. If this was the case I still would've done the deal

Maybe Tunsil's agent told Tunsil not to do a new deal until after the new CBA was done. If this was the case I still would've done the deal

Knowing the CBA was expiring, he would have been foolish to sign an extension

With that in mind, our compensation in the trade should have reflected the uncertainty of his contract. I’m fine with what we gave up in the trade assuming an expensive but reasonable extension. I’m not fine with it for a rental or getting bent over a barrel on the contract after we already got bent over on the trade.

But in typical OB fashion, we made a decision on a transaction without any consideration at all about what comes next. Always a step behind. That’s what happens when the coach on the hot seat is also managing the roster.

He does not care what happens tomorrow as long as his ass is safe today.

With that in mind, our compensation in the trade should have reflected the uncertainty of his contract. I’m fine with what we gave up in the trade assuming an expensive but reasonable extension. I’m not fine with it for a rental or getting bent over a barrel on the contract after we already got bent over on the trade.

But in typical OB fashion, we made a decision on a transaction without any consideration at all about what comes next. Always a step behind. That’s what happens when the coach on the hot seat is also managing the roster.

They didn't get bent over in the trade. If Tunsil was in this draft and you wanted to trade for him you would have to trade up to the NYG's at #4.

What would be the cost to move from #27 to #4?

Tunsil was always going to be the highest paid FA LT when the time came, 20 mil a yr seems like a fair deal for both sides. I bet Tunsil gets around 20-21 mil per yr for 5 yrs with 50-60 guaranteed.

I explained this up and down 100 times to many and some will hold onto this until the end of time out of fear of admitting they were wrong and didn't see the rest of the fallouts from it. A few months later and Hopkins is getting traded and all types of other moves are being made while the team has no draft picks this year or next. Whatever they do have, OB is likely to trade when he gets a chance.

well that's one way of looking at it. But most of his article I disagree with. Not worth my time to go through what's already been said before

Or he’d still be a Dolphin & we’d be mad at BO’b for Kalil’s contract, benching him after one series, ruining Howard & Scharping by shuffling the line every week & Watson getting sacked 72 times and not 44 times.

I don’t believe BO’b knows what he’s doing. But Hopkins was gone regardless. If it were Rick Smith or Brian Gaine as GM I’m sure we’d have got a better return.

But they’d have replaced him with Damarius Thomas & Jarius Wright. Or some 4th round never done nothing but talented nobody off somebody’s practice squad.

Hey SteelB I bet you watch your money pretty closely don't you because you are a businessman who has to consistantly turn a profit to
remain a going concern, right ?
O'Brien paid a huge price for Tunsil which included two first round picks but that's not the sum total of the compensation that
O'Brien paid for Tunsils servicies. What O'Brien did in addition to handing two first round picks was to hand over to Mr Tunsils a blank check !
If you had a manager doing that in your business dealings as a professional insect/pest exterminator, I'll bet that guy would be in the unemployment line the next day after that kind o transaction.
Obviously we can't accurately evaluate the Tunsil transaction until we know the terms of his new contract with the Texans, or the kind of compensation we receive if we are unable to reach a new deal with him where O'Brien might end up trading Tunsil for a fifth round pick
to another NFL franchise ?

Hey SteelB I bet you watch your money pretty closely don't you because you are a businessman who has to consistantly turn a profit to
remain a going concern, right ?
O'Brien paid a huge price for Tunsil which included two first round picks but that's not the sum total of the compensation that
O'Brien paid for Tunsils servicies. What O'Brien did in addition to handing two first round picks was to hand over to Mr Tunsils a blank check !
If you had a manager doing that in your business dealings as a professional insect/pest exterminator, I'll bet that guy would be in the unemployment line the next day after that kind o transaction.
Obviously we can't accurately evaluate the Tunsil transaction until we know the terms of his new contract with the Texans, or the kind of compensation we receive if we are unable to reach a new deal with him where O'Brien might end up trading Tunsil for a fifth round picku
to another NFL franchise ?

If I needed a piece of equipment that would not only help me do my job better, but help me land new jobs (This has happened recently) then I spent the $$$$. Gotta stay ahead of the competition and spend $$$$ to make $$$$. I get your point though and generally agree with you.

They knew about what the cost was going to be for Tunsil in FA when they did the trade. I'm just glad they're adding really talented guys to the roster. Posters are p!ssed off because they traded draft picks for Tunsil and traded Nuk to create room to re-sign Tunsil. Plus they dont like the fact that Nuk's trade value wasn't as high as they thought it should've been.

If I needed a piece of equipment that would not only help me do my job better, but help me land new jobs (This has happened recently) then I spent the $$$$. Gotta stay ahead of the competition and spend $$$$ to make $$$$. I get your point though and generally agree with you.

They knew about what the cost was going to be for Tunsil in FA when they did the trade. I'm just glad they're adding really talented guys to the roster. Posters are p!ssed off because they traded draft picks for Tunsil and traded Nuk to create room to re-sign Tunsil. Plus they dont like the fact that Nuk's trade value wasn't as high as they thought it should've been.
I beg your pardon my friend, because they don't know even know now what Tunsil is going to cost them and they won't until he fills in the part of the blank check that says "Amount"

I beg your pardon my friend, because they don't know even know now what Tunsil is going to cost them and they won't until he fills in the part of the blank check that says "Amount"

Somehere between 20-21 mil per yr over 5 yrs. I'm guessing they're haggling over the guaranteed $$$$ and I've got no doubt they will get this worked out before the season starts.

I'm ok with the deal. Was expecting him to get ~20mil, so what's another 2?

I am a bit concerned it's just a 3 year deal, was hoping for a 5 year.
Yea the length of the deal makes it just one more failure by the Texans and a big win for Tunsil who now can be a FA still in his prime at 28.
Janice had better wrest control of this franchise from those two think-skulled bozos, son Cal and O'Brien, before they ruin her late husbands football franchise.

Back