Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to the Texans, OT Laremy Tunsil.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Texans are screwed in regards to this negotiation. Tunsil will wind up leaving the Texans for better money and the Texans will be standing there with their pickles in their hands trying to figure out how they will put a positive spin on what just happened.
I don't understand how this statement fits the statement you quoted. Evidently the Texans already offered to make him the highest paid OT. You say he has the Texans over the barrel because of the leverage he has. Then you say he'll go to another team for more money.

Does he have another team leveraged as badly as we are? Why would that other team pay him more than the Texans are obviously willing to pay?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Personally I think he's going to be with the Texans this season and going forward. However I wonder what the New York Giants would give for Tunsil?

Edit 1.4 and 2.36. NY moves Solder to RT replace FA Mike Remmers 67.7 PFF. They have $74 m cap IIRC.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yes.

You act like this is the way it should be. Most people don't believe the HC should be driving the whole organization.
True but we actually do not know how he will do until he does it, right? I'm known as being an optimist with huge dose of reality mixed in. If O'Brien allows Kelly to call plays and he is successful, we could see a new Bill. I'm willing to see how this develops.

banned1976

sleeper mode
You would have fired him after yr 1 and re-hired Kubiak.

This is the 1st offseason where BOB's calling all of the shots and you want to fire him after yr 2? LMAO
Why does he have to call all the shots to properly manage a game? In fact, shouldn’t he at least prove he can make proper use of timeouts before he’s given complete control of the team? Well, I’d think yes to that second question but the McNair’s obviously disagree. And I honestly believe that as long as mediocrity is met BoB remains as GM/HC. And for a lot of us that’s a damned disheartening thought.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why does he have to call all the shots to properly manage a game? In fact, shouldn’t he at least prove he can make proper use of timeouts before he’s given complete control of the team? Well, I’d think yes to that second question but the McNair’s obviously disagree. And I honestly believe that as long as mediocrity is met BoB remains as GM/HC. And for a lot of us that’s a damned disheartening thought.
It's obvious to me that Cal laid the blame for the Texans failures over the last decade at the feet of RS. He liked how BOB did more with less at QB Hoyer/Mallett/Os and gave him control in personnel along with the task of developing DW4, which will be BOB's downfall unless Kelly can work miracles.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He liked how BOB did more with less at QB Hoyer/Mallett/Os and gave him control in personnel
Man... you really do live in your own reality. BO'b didn't do more with less, Crennel's built by Rick defense got us those victories. Those offenses were crap & didn't do sht.

Nobody is looking at those offenses and saying, "He did more with less." But you.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I would try to make him an offer, and if he just keeps refusing, just franchise him. That's what a competent franchise would do so I may be asking too much.

And I know some of you will claim that he'll just sit out or whatever, but other teams will take notice of a player (Tunsil) that is being offered the highest contract in the league at their position and refuses to sign with that team. How many seasons do you think Tunsil will sit out? Then again, as seen with the Clowney situation, do the Texans brass even have the stomach to do something like that?
I believe people are getting way ahead of themselves. The franchise tag is not an option this year. Tunsil is under contract through the 2020 season. Also keep in mind that if the new CBA is passed, in 2021, teams will no longer be allowed both a franchise tag AND a transitional tag............they will have to choose between a franchise tag OR a transitional tag.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Man... you really do live in your own reality. BO'b didn't do more with less, Crennel's built by Rick defense got us those victories. Those offenses were crap & didn't do sht.

Nobody is looking at those offenses and saying, "He did more with less." But you.
Cal obviously thinks this.

I didn't say I did.

Cal would know how HIS org worked during that time and who was responsible for its shortcomings.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I believe people are getting way ahead of themselves. The franchise tag is not an option this year. Tunsil is under contract through the 2020 season. Also keep in mind that if the new CBA is passed, in 2021, teams will no longer be allowed both a franchise tag AND a transitional tag............they will have to choose between a franchise tag OR a transitional tag.
Yes and I am glad we only need one..Tunsil 2021 and Watson 2022 if he is still here.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Cal obviously thinks this.

I didn't say I did.

Cal would know how HIS org worked during that time and who was responsible for its shortcomings.
So Earl, You dont think Cal knows who has what responsibilities in HIS org? Because if that's the case then the troubles run much deeper than whay we're discussing on this MB.

Yes.

You act like this is the way it should be. Most people don't believe the HC should be driving the whole organization.
Count me as one who doesn't believe THIS HC should be doing it.

It's the way the Pats/ Chiefs etc... do it.

As soon as BOB's fired, I hope they have an organizational structure that allows the HC to get the players he wants from day one. Rather than 4 yrs of dysfunction.
What gives credence to OB being put in this poisition?

The profits are still great, the team is steadily hoisting division championships, the local media is relatively tame and most fans don't care about progression as long as the team has a winning record. For ownership, Bill is doing a helluva job.

So Earl, You dont think Cal knows who has what responsibilities in HIS org? Because if that's the case then the troubles run much deeper than whay we're discussing on this MB.
He knows who has what responsibilities. Does he know how to properly evaluate those who has those responsibilities as it relates to football operations.

RGV82

Random guy
According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, Tunsil, who is entering the final year of his current contract, is aiming to make $19-20 million per year, which would make him the highest-paid offensive lineman in the NFL.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Count me as one who doesn't believe THIS HC should be doing it.

What gives credence to OB being put in this poisition?

The profits are still great, the team is steadily hoisting division championships, the local media is relatively tame and most fans don't care about progression as long as the team has a winning record. For ownership, Bill is doing a helluva job.

He knows who has what responsibilities. Does he know how to properly evaluate those who has those responsibilities as it relates to football operations.
1. Cal

2. This org is and always will put profits 1st and foremost. I said from the time Gaine was hired this was a 3 yr rebuild. After Gaine got fired that set the org back a yr.

3. I guess No, however his dad did teach him how to keep cashing those checks.

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Laremy Tunsil when he signs the biggest contract in NFL history for an offensive lineman:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I’d like to compare it to what some of the top OLineman from the 80s and 90s made in today’s dollars. I wouldn’t have a clue how to calculate it.
Bad comparison, reason that positions like LTs are so highly paid is because the QB position has changed to become the nucleus of the entire offense. In the 80s and 90s QBs weren’t near as important so protecting them wasn’t as important. In fact it was more important for a lineman to block for a RB than it was protect the QB.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
This, people seem to be forgetting that it’s not just about the Texans offering him a deal he has to sign it as well and pretty much all big name players that can wait are waiting till after the new CBA. You haven’t seen guys like Mahomes sign a new deal either or Ramsey now with the Rams.

Again though worst case scenario is he’s signed for next year and we tag him for year 3. If it’s still looking like he won’t sign then you worry about finding his replacement. Most teams don’t get really worried about locking a non-QB down with till it’s tag or let walk.

RGV82

Random guy
Bad comparison, reason that positions like LTs are so highly paid is because the QB position has changed to become the nucleus of the entire offense. In the 80s and 90s QBs weren’t near as important so protecting them wasn’t as important. In fact it was more important for a lineman to block for a RB than it was protect the QB.
Yes. That’s my exact point. I wanna see the difference in value monetarily comparing OLs then vs. now. Knowing how much more valuable OLs are now, I’d like to see how that translates into their difference in pay.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Yes. That’s my exact point. I wanna see the difference in value monetarily comparing OLs then vs. now. Knowing how much more valuable OLs are now, I’d like to see how that translates into their difference in pay.
I’m honestly not sure how you could calculate that because there are so many variables it’s not even funny. For example a guy like Dillard in the last draft had great value to the Eagles because they could let him ride the bench behind a HoF LT and learn. To the Texans, however, his value wasn’t as great because they needed an immediate answer and he wouldn’t be that.

Even Tunsil he had huge value to the Texans, because of that immediate answer, but Miami is in rebuild so they would have shopped him out long before his contract was up because he was worth far more in picks than position.

Likewise linemen are less valuable to a team with a super fast release, Brady, than a team that has a laser accurate pocket passer who needs time to throw, Brees.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
. Inflation Rate, $1 from 1990 to 2020
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, today's prices in 2020 are 97.38% higher than average prices since 1990. The U.S. dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 2.29% per year during this period, meaning the real value of a dollar decreased.

In other words, $1 in 1990 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1.97 in 2020, a difference of $0.97 over 30 years.

The 1990 inflation rate was 5.40%. The current inflation rate (2019 to 2020) is now 2.49%1. If this number holds, $1 today will be equivalent in buying power to $1.02 next year. The current inflation rate page gives more detail on the latest official inflation rates.

zshawn10

All Pro
Texans left tackle Laremy Tunsil has fired his agency, CAA, which had represented him since the Dolphins selected him in the first round in 2016. Tunsil is in process of selecting new representation per league sources. He's expected to become highest paid tackle this offseason
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) March 3, 2020
Tunsil has yet to hire a new agent and is contemplating his options, which could include the nontraditional path followed by Chargers offensive tackle Russell Okung operating as his own agent while having a group of advisors assist him. The Texans and Tunsil haven’t opened negotiations toward a long-term contract extension at this time, but are expected to at some point this year.

Tunsil, a Pro Bowl selection last season, could become the highest-paid offensive lineman in the NFL and top Eagles tackle Lane Johnson’s $72 million deal that includes $55.845 million guaranteed and averages $18 million per year. Tunsil is expected to aim for a deal averaging at least $19 million to $20 million per year, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly. He is entering the final year of his rookie contract with a current $10.35 million base salary for 2020.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I really hope his labrum wasn't the root cause for his league leading false starts....lol. Get better big guy, we'll need you soon enough.
Shouldn't you be hoping it was the cause?
When your shoulder can't sustain repeated heavy duty torquing of your left arm back as a LT in order to contain an outside rusher............you subconsciously compensate compensate the arm/shoulder weakness and pain, and try to avoid being beaten by reacting quicker than usual (many times, too quickly) in order to square up with that rusher (a position that will minimize torque on that arm/shoulder.

I would be very surprised if this did not factor into his unexpectedly high false start numbers.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
When your shoulder can't sustain repeated heavy duty torquing of your left arm back as a LT in order to contain an outside rusher............you subconsciously compensate compensate the arm/shoulder weakness and pain, and try to avoid being beaten by reacting quicker than usual (many times, too quickly) in order to square up with that rusher (a position that will minimize torque on that arm/shoulder.

I would be very surprised if this did not factor into his unexpectedly high false start numbers.
I don’t recall seeing him listed on the injury report. Was he even listed once for the shoulder?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I don’t recall seeing him listed on the injury report. Was he even listed once for the shoulder?
He was on the Injury Report on week 9, limited all week, Questionable and did not play week 9..........and would have been on the Injury Report week 10 and would not have been able to play if it were not the Bye...........but it was the Bye.............then he was on the Injury Report and limited the entire next week, and was Questionable for week 11...........he did end up being able to play week 11.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club

I never heard of it until a few days ago. It's supposed to take 2 to 3 months to recover from the surgery, (Doc might want to correct that), but I'm curious as to they didn't operate 2 months ago. That would certainly explain why he was the most penalized player in the league last year !

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I never heard of it until a few days ago. It's supposed to take 2 to 3 months to recover from the surgery, (Doc might want to correct that), but I'm curious as to they didn't operate 2 months ago. That would certainly explain why he was the most penalized player in the league last year !
Makes sense. Dude was up for a big pay day. You don't want to be leaking injury & surgery info right around the time you're vying for a new deal.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I would have to say that 2-3 months is an unrealistic expectation to return to play. I would expect closer to 5-6 months........and actually closer to 6 months. I would also expect him to have ~90% chance of coming back at all............and ~90% chance to return to pre-injury level.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Either they overpay him and screw the cap and lose him for a comp pick.

Great job everyone!

Texansballer74

The Marine
There's a chance it could snow in June when the moon is blue

There's no need to be a smart ass dude. I was not attacking you or your post. Just stating something a lot of players have done when they didn't get what they wanted when they wanted it.

Last edited:

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
B/c he is 1 of the best in the game at what he does, What part of "he was going to be overpaid anyway" don't you understand?
If "he was going to be overpaid anyway" the we should find other players. Tunsil isn't the only good offensive lineman in the entire world.

Texansballer74

The Marine
If "he was going to be overpaid anyway" the we should find other players. Tunsil isn't the only good offensive lineman in the entire world.
He’s going to be paid big time. Hopefully he doesn’t turn out like Solders and Brown. Both of these players didn’t perform up to those massive contracts they received. Two players a few on here wanted so badly.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He’s going to be paid big time. Hopefully he doesn’t turn out like Solders and Brown. Both of these players didn’t perform up to those massive contracts they received. Two players a few on here wanted so badly.
And if he's going to get overpaid then that SHOULD make him less valuable to acquire in trade