Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to the Texans, OT Laremy Tunsil.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Since Doc let me know how harmful it was for my dog to drink beer with me, I stopped doing that. I think my dog that I really loved died at age 16 because I let her drink beer with me. We had great times and I really miss her. I also feel really guilty about that.
Yea I know C&D warned about it which is why I've never risked it by giving any beer to my schnauzer much as I'd like to drink a beer with him. Amazing how attached, the bond we forms with these dogs.
Sorry bout that as I've strayed from the thread topic.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Im surprised I was giving way for one of the bigger Tunsil fans to beat the Pro Bowl drum. Hmmm. Anywho. We now have our 2nd Pro Bowl LT in franchise history with Tunsil! Here's hoping that he keeps "progressing" next year!
This is great news, and a starter at the PB no less.
I dunno does this mean that the often ridiculed Mike Devlin is now owed an attaboy ?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I dunno does this mean that the often ridiculed Mike Devlin is now owed an attaboy ?
No, but this combined with the fact that nick Martin was also named as an alternate does show that his coaching as an explanation for the issues the Texans have had with pass pro is greatly exaggerated around these parts. Dude was largely working with garbage for the last few years.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No, but this combined with the fact that nick Martin was also named as an alternate does show that his coaching as an explanation for the issues the Texans have had with pass pro is greatly exaggerated around these parts. Dude was largely working with garbage for the last few years.
Yep,

With that said Devlin needs to go.

The OL has underachieved this yr.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I remember watching Chris Myers getting trucked by Kris Jenkins & thinking to myself, "Why was Chris Myers singled up on Kris Jenkins? "

Overall we very rarely saw Myers singled up on anyone, much less a premier tackle like Jenkins.

So on that particular play something went wrong. Coaching, blocking call, communication, execution, something.

I say all that to say while I'm happy Martin was voted an alternate, but why is he singled up on DTs so often, especially in the run game where he is so often pushed back.

edo783

Hall of Fame
Congrats Larame, those two first for you and Kenny doesn't look too bad now. You both have contributed big time in the club's success.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
So the pro bowl actually means something??? Lol

I mean i havent watched that crap since 88

All pro team is where it's at

If he makes that then sweet.

Come on guys
Freaking pro bowl

Schaub was a pro bowl MVP
Yup I said it

Texansballer74

The Marine

Come on guys
Freaking pro bowl

Yup I said it

I’m not a big fan of it but you can best believe it means something to these players.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Come on guys
Freaking pro bowl

Yup I said it
This was the point I was trying to make.

Poorly I might add.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Come on guys
Freaking pro bowl

Yup I said it
It's good for the guys who get named. The problem is that for at least the last 3 years, an average of 38 players originally named, don't go, so those 38 "alternates" who weren't originally named to the Pro-Bowl, get Pro-Bowl on their resumes. And that doesn't count the alternates that turn it down. That really waters down the prestige of being one of the best at your position that particular season.

I mean, whoever replaces Lamar Jackson because he might be playing an important game a week later, is not a Pro-Bowl worthy QB this year. Fitz, Carr, Tannehill? But he'll get that on his Pro Football Reference page.

The game itself needs to go away, and the Pro-Bowl designation as well. I mean what's the difference between being named to the Pro-Bowl and being named an All-Pro? Just combine them and do without the game. Instead just have an awards ceremony where you trot out and recognize the All-Pro/Pro Bowl players, name your MVP, ROY, DPOY and all those awards, in one big Saturday night shindig. I might actually tune in to that. Haven't watched a Pro-Bowl in years.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
It's good for the guys who get named. The problem is that for at least the last 3 years, an average of 38 players originally named, don't go, so those 38 "alternates" who weren't originally named to the Pro-Bowl, get Pro-Bowl on their resumes. And that doesn't count the alternates that turn it down. That really waters down the prestige of being one of the best at your position that particular season.

I mean, whoever replaces Lamar Jackson because he might be playing an important game a week later, is not a Pro-Bowl worthy QB this year. Fitz, Carr, Tannehill? But he'll get that on his Pro Football Reference page.
Well said.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Devlin had no time to work with Tunsil in the offseason or camp. What it means is that Tunsil is much more talented than Davenport. And someone realized that Davenport ( and whomever was on the roster at LT) was going to get the QB killed. The cost for Tunsil was outrageous. Just not as outrageous as the LT situation was for the Texans.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Instead just have an awards ceremony where you trot out and recognize the All-Pro/Pro Bowl players, name your MVP, ROY, DPOY and all those awards, in one big Saturday night shindig. I might actually tune in to that. Haven't watched a Pro-Bowl in years.
The NFL has a big awards show the Saturday night before the Super Bowl. They just don't bring out the entire All Pro team. I can't find the picture of Watt when Rodgers was accepting his MVP award. The look on J.J's face. :bat:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t know why people think this will happen. Watson and Tunsil will sign the biggest contracts when they are up. IMO we need to sign them this off-season. Another year from now the market will only be higher. Don't wait for Dak or Mahomes to sign before you do Watson.
DW4/Tunsil are going to wait for the new CBA before signing.

Mo $$$$.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don’t know why people think this will happen. Watson and Tunsil will sign the biggest contracts when they are up. IMO we need to sign them this off-season. Another year from now the market will only be higher. Don't wait for Dak or Mahomes to sign before you do Watson.
No doubt that Mahomes will get paid a record # but the Dallas QB pobably not so much.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Seven sacks in total yesterday, not good !
Hughes was playing on the weakside of the Oline so that's where Tunsil plays.
I know for sure one time they had an extra OL and Fells out there. Fells and Rod JOhnson got whipped. Not sure anyone on OL had a good game, seemed 4 man pressure was getting to DW4 all day. Had to move the pocket it seemed. He got time for that nice shot to Nuk deep and the one he missed to Stills but he was under pressure all day

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
If this is the new standard for what a Pro Bowler is, then you might as well throw the term in the trash. I mean the game itself has been in the trash for at least a decade now.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans LT Laremy Tunsil, who leads the NFL in penalties, was asked whether he checks the list of officials before the game.‬ "Do I need to bake them a cake?"

Sarah Barshop, ESPN Staff Writer 2h ago

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I know for sure one time they had an extra OL and Fells out there. Fells and Rod JOhnson got whipped. Not sure anyone on OL had a good game, seemed 4 man pressure was getting to DW4 all day. Had to move the pocket it seemed. He got time for that nice shot to Nuk deep and the one he missed to Stills but he was under pressure all day

Think I read they only blitzed 5 times …. they got pressure all day long with their front 4.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Definitely wasn't their front four. They showed 5 & 6 man rush all day, but dropped guys into coverage rushing only 4. It wasn't always the down linemen

The point is they were getting there with regularity with only 4. That means they are able to drop 7 into coverage. That's tough for any QB to deal with.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The point is they were getting there with regularity with only 4. That means they are able to drop 7 into coverage. That's tough for any QB to deal with.
Teams have been playing that game with DW4 all year..apparently that's the book out on him & the teams that have employed it against him have had varying levels of success.

Which is why BoB has always made it a point to stick with the run & run it right in that middle area..keeps the pressure from getting home. We hate it, it makes the offense look like garbage but it has purpose.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
here ya'll go. since ya'll like to know "who to blame" here is a sack by sack breakdown of the Buffalo game from a neutral perspective.

Sack 1: -3 yards (Jerry Hughes)
Time: 10:02 in the first quarter
Situation: second-and-6, Buffalo 47-yard line

It didn’t take long for Watson to get sacked in this game. The Texans ran a play-action fake to their left side, but it went nowhere because Trent Murphy came across unblocked on the right side.

This play was doomed from the start. Though Murphy didn’t get the actual sack, he gave Jerry Hughes time to do so.

What I don’t get is how the Texans didn’t account for Murphy, who was too far to the right to be a factor in the running play that they’re faking. The issue with assigning blame for a play like this is you have to wonder what Watson’s options were before the snap. He should have been able to identify that Murphy was a problem, but then again, the coaches should have seen it, too.

Who was at fault: Playcall

Sack 2: -6 yards (Trent Murphy)
Time: 1:26 in the first quarter
Situation: third-and-3, Buffalo 40-yard line

Later in the first quarter and inside Buffalo territory, the Texans saw a promising drive end due to a third-down sack. The Bills only rushed four, but once again, Watson was under pressure almost immediately.

There’s something wrong with a running back blocking a pass rusher by himself while four offensive linemen block two guys, yet that’s what happened. Duke Johnson did his best to block Matt Milano, but he got the pressure on Watson, who escaped and was sacked by Clark’s man (Murphy).

Clark did his job on the play, and Watson had no options available downfield. So why was Johnson stranded against a pass rusher who was obviously coming? To me that’s a failure on the interior line — Fulton in particular.

Who was at fault: Fulton

Sack 3: 0 yards (Murphy)
Time: 10:09 in the second quarter
Situation: second-and-6, Houston 29-yard line

While this next play didn’t lose any yardage, it was still pretty dang ugly. It was a good decision by Watson to not throw the pass, but after the fake it all went bad.

Watson stepped into this not-throw so hard that when he reset his feet, he turned all the way around — right into Murphy. That said, the right tackle didn’t do a terrible job on this play. If Watson were stepping around the pocket like any other play, it would have been a successful block.

There’s a tendency to blame Watson when he dances around in the backfield — and you should sometimes. This, however, feels like a coverage sack.

Who was at fault: N/A (coverage sack)

Sack 4:-1 yards (Hughes)
Time: 8:23 in the second quarter
Situation: first-and-15, Houston 34-yard line

On this play, just about everything went wrong from the onset, and there’s plenty of blame to be thrown around.

Tight end Darren Fells was the one who got beat, but I really don’t like anything about this play. Bill O’Brien brought in Roderick Johnson, the swing tackle, as an extra blocker on the left side and stacked Fells next to him. However, Johnson looked like he was in slow motion here. The play action didn’t work and Watson’s dropback was too deep for any of the good blocking to matter.

There’s no reason the Texans should have looked so thoroughly overwhelmed on the play. Blame goes to a committee on this one.

Who was at fault: Playcall, Fells, and Johnson

Sack 5: -7 yards (Tremaine Edmunds)
Time: 14:23 in the third quarter
Situation: third-and-9, Houston 26-yard line

This is an excellent example of Watson taking more sacks than he should, despite initial pressure coming his way.

At first, it looks like Watson got swarmed here. On closer inspection, it shows that when he stepped up following Fulton getting Jordan Phillips turned around, there was enough time to set his feet and look downfield.

Instead, he rolled out to his left and looked like he was trying to run for it. Edmunds closed fast and sacked him for a big loss. Watson absolutely could have avoided this sack.

Who was at fault: Watson

Sack 6: -2 yards (Hughes)
Time: 11:43 in the fourth quarter
Situation: third-and-3, Buffalo 21-yard line

Once again I am puzzled by how the Texans continued to let unblocked defensive ends through the line. It’s understandable if there’s a stunt or a delayed blitz from a linebacker, but a defensive end who is clearly not going anywhere else? Yeesh.

Though it wasn’t Murphy who wound up getting the sack, he was the guy who forced this play to go off the rails. Tunsil had his issues with Hughes, but if Murphy had been blocked initially, then Watson could have stepped up and through the rush from Hughes.

Clark and Fulton were both engaged with one guy when Murphy came around unblocked. Clark turned around slowly and saw Watson about to get crushed but could do nothing about it. On plays like these, you have to blame the outside lineman for being clueless and the coach for not recognizing it.

Who was at fault: Playcall and Clark
Dumb Watson. Why cant he block the free edge guy, AND THEN throw the pass. duh.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Sack 7:

Sack 7: -9 yards (Siran Neal)
Time: 7:43 in overtime
Situation: second-and-9, Houston 28-yard line

Finally, we’ve come to the first sack where I felt like the Bills actually did something worthy of tripping up a good coach, line, or quarterback. Until now, these were all very basic pass rushes the Texans failed to handle for one reason or another. This one was a defensive back blitz that Watson reacted to poorly.

Blaming the quarterback when somebody comes in unblocked is tough, but if the coach is calling a passing play with an empty backfield and zero extra blockers, then the quarterback has to be able to get the ball out quickly. As soon as Watson finished his dropback, that pass should have been coming out. He had one receiver on either side of him who had a shot at catching a pass, or he could have chosen to throw it out of bounds. Instead, he acted very un-Watson-like in his escape and took the sack.

I don’t like calling this play in overtime and on second down. After allowing six sacks, going into an empty backfield for anything other than a timing route in this situation is just ... bad. Why O’Brien called this play will forever mystify me. Fortunately for Houston, Watson converted a pass on third-and-18 to extend the drive. The Texans later kicked the game-winning field goal.

Who was at fault: Playcall
edit: how'd I miss this? LMAO

Still, more than anything, the Texans were let down by their coaching. That’s probably not news to anyone who consistently saw O’Brien and the Texans outcoached this season, including in the Bills game.....

Either way, it’s clear there’s far more at play here for the Texans than a shoddy offensive line or a quarterback who holds onto the football for too long.

Last edited:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
What's crazy to me is how people have such a hard time realizing that Tunsil's penalties are just like giving up sacks. You're taking a loss of yardage on offense and putting the team in a much more difficult position to sustain the drive. The only difference is that the QB isn't getting hit, but there is still a loss of yards that takes place which is the same thing as a sack as far as negative yardage goes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What's crazy to me is how people have such a hard time realizing that Tunsil's penalties are just like giving up sacks. You're taking a loss of yardage on offense and putting the team in a much more difficult position to sustain the drive. The only difference is that the QB isn't getting hit, but there is still a loss of yards that takes place which is the same thing as a sack as far as negative yardage goes.
At least you don't lose the down

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
30 yr old coach Paul Alexander broke down the tape and said only 1/2 sack (Fulton) was on the ol.

Kirwan, a long time coach/fm agreed with him.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
30 yr old coach Paul Alexander broke down the tape and said only 1/2 sack (Fulton) was on the ol.

Kirwan, a long time coach/fm agreed with him.
I still don't understand how you have 4 pass rushers, but the 5 OL only blocks three of them... allowing one to go free at the QB. How is that the way it was drawn up??? Serious question. Did Alexander or Kirwan mention anything?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I still don't understand how you have 4 pass rushers, but the 5 OL only blocks three of them... allowing one to go free at the QB. How is that the way it was drawn up??? Serious question. Did Alexander or Kirwan mention anything?
They basically said Watson should have thrown the ball away on 3 sacks fells missed a block, Duke missed a block etc...

I'm sure the podcast is up

Whatever day I posted about this is the day they talked about it

dream_team

Hall of Fame
They basically said Watson should have thrown the ball away on 3 sacks fells missed a block, Duke missed a block etc...

I'm sure the podcast is up

Whatever day I posted about this is the day they talked about it
I looked for the podcast the day you originally posted, but couldn't find it. I'll try again.

But if the OL screws up, and there's a sack because Watson doesn't throw the ball away, I don't see how that should remove at least partial blame on the OL???