Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to the Texans, OT Laremy Tunsil.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Because they have done it before and just like you stated “ they do not want Watson getting sacked 60 times again in one season”. This is a very special case, wouldn’t you agree?
At this point I thinking some people are just poking to blame the Texans. Not meaning you TB but the circular argument around here is getting old.

I keep asking this question and it keeps getting ignored. What were they suppose to do? And nobody say “well they should have fixed the line sooner” yeah we all know and agree with that. You know what they also should have drafted a QB sooner. Maybe that Rogers guy or that guy named after a clock in London.

But they didn’t so without dragging up the past what were they suppose to do? Draft Dillard, who would not have been ready, throw him out there and hope and pray he’s a ready to go starter? Maybe break the bank on Brown even though they did make him an offer and he said the Raiders offer was a “no brainer” would that have been the answer to massively over pay for a guy that was middle of the pack at best?

Trent Williams was never on the market despite what some posted so that’s out. The Fins are hording draft picks so I doubt they would have taken any less, though there were rumors about Clowney, so you have to meet their price. If Tunsil or his agent says they aren’t signing no matter the offer because they know no matter how big it is odds are with will be bigger in 2-3 years do you call the whole thing off and start looking for a new QB?

I keeping saying this but what has upset most people is not the player it’s the fact the Texans dared to spend their picks and made draft night less fun for them. They can’t really argue against the player, he’s he best one we’ve had since Brown, and they can’t really argue against the price, because it actually does make since, so they blame the Texans for something that they could have very well had no control over.

So again I ask, if Tunsil or his agent says “We’re not signing a new deal right now” what were they suppose to do?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Far as I’m concerned, Tunsil is a bust. Given what they paid, how he has underperformed and What it will cost to keep him moving forward. Well done by GM O’Brian.
If he is a bust it’s on the coaching staff.

A major reason he is getting all those penalties is due to coaching.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
If he is a bust it’s on the coaching staff.

A major reason he is getting all those penalties is due to coaching.
Which makes it a bad decision for O'Brien the GM since he picked a player that O'Brien the HC under achieved with if that is the case. We didn't pay a normal value. We paid double.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Which makes it a bad decision for O'Brien the GM since he picked a player that O'Brien the HC under achieved with if that is the case. We didn't pay a normal value. We paid double.
We paid a premium price for a premium position. They better get his penalties under control.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
O’Brein the GM made a good decision to protect DW. Tunsil is protecting DW far better than Davenport could ever dream. O’Brein the HC will tell you coaching him is not his job, but the OL coach Mike Devlin. Devlin will be fired.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Far as I’m concerned, Tunsil is a bust. Given what they paid, how he has underperformed and What it will cost to keep him moving forward. Well done by GM O’Brian.
its distressing. "What should have they done" .. hindsight tells me they should have just played Tytus HOward at LT for this year - and vidicated themselves AND that pick. He would have fared better in run blocking, not as well in pass blocking, but it would still have been an improvement, and with a rookie who could grow into that role, and you would still have 3 high level draft picks coming up. GEez think about the 3rd given for Duke only not to use him properly. Then the 3rd given for Gareon Conley only to find out first hand that, yeah he's not that great. Crazy how fast good moves can turn into bad moves.

I can see why Miami wasnt married to Tunsil. If all he does well is pass block, then he shouldnt be paid top LT money, problem now is if the team dare not offer him that money he just walks. How would that look? LOL.

We're good at hoping players/coaches in their 5th-6th years "get better" around here ... so here's hoping that Tunsil does just that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So how much would it have cost to trade up from 23 to get a top 5 pick where Tunsil would've been picked if he was in the draft and would a rookie LT be the best pass blocking rated LT in the NFL? Two 1sts seems like a fair price to pay to properly protect WatJICson.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I don't think you know what a bust is. First of all I'm not sure how a guy can be a bust his first year with a team. Second of all Watson has been sacked 38 times this year. That's still higher than I like but its way better than last year and for a mobile QB like Watson those are actually good numbers so not sure where you are getting the underperformed either. Also Watson has shown, when they are there, more trust in his line.

I don't like the penalties and false starts but Clowney use to do that all the time, still does, and the excuse used for him was its because he is an intense player and that's the price you pay for that explosiveness getting after the ball. Well Tunsil is just an intense player and that's the price you pay for a guy that wants to get after the other guy coming for his QB.

The cost was right on the mark and I'm tired of breaking that down for people so sure keep telling yourself it was to high but it wasn't. As far as moving forward goes you can thank the Raiders for that one because they reset the market for an average at best guy. Time to face facts LT are going to get paid like QBs now because this is a QB driven league now so a guy that can be trusted to protect his blind side is going to cost you which ever arm or leg your QB didn't cost you.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
O’Brein the GM made a good decision to protect DW. Tunsil is protecting DW far better than Davenport could ever dream. O’Brein the HC will tell you coaching him is not his job, but the OL coach Mike Devlin. Devlin will be fired.
I wish that were true but I don't see it. The one argument the "Hate OB" crowd can make that reasonably and logically no one can argue against is that BoB has kept Devlin. I've said before and I'll say again I do not blame BoB for Devlin being a bad coach, I blame BoB for Devlin being a bad coach that is still employed by the Texans.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Screw the value paid for Tunsil..tired of folks harping that as if its a big deal...its not. He's been markedly better over anyone they used last year and anyone they could've brought in via the draft or FA that would've played this year...INCLUDING HOWARD. Dillard hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire with Philly either as they've had to play him all over the place with Peters being out for a few games and then Lane Johnson missing a few; i.e. the same **** the Texans got blasted for doing with Howard early on. And as troublesome as Tunsil's false starts have been, that can be corrected. Ultimately though, he was brought in to do 1 thing...to get the sacks down..which he and the other additions have help to do significantly this year.

Fact is DW4's game is such that he's always gonna take way more sacks and hits than he should. His game is most similar to Wilson's and that dude has been top 5 in sacks every year he's been in the league..yes, even after they added a pro bowl LT in Brown and a plethora of other picks to with him.

Draft nerds need to pipe down.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I wish that were true but I don't see it. The one argument the "Hate OB" crowd can make that reasonably and logically no one can argue against is that BoB has kept Devlin. I've said before and I'll say again I do not blame BoB for Devlin being a bad coach, I blame BoB for Devlin being a bad coach that is still employed by the Texans.
Agree.

I am just tired by it all. All of us fans too.

Just the whole what do the Texans do from here.

It’s clear OB - and whatever title he is assuming - at the end of the day is responsible. Nothing has changed in during his tenure and whoever is QB. Nothing but Jekyl and Hyde stuff.

Just scrap everything and move on.

Keep the players.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Agree.

I am just tired by it all. All of us fans too.

Just the whole what do the Texans do from here.

It’s clear OB - and whatever title he is assuming - at the end of the day is responsible. Nothing has changed in during his tenure and whoever is QB. Nothing but Jekyl and Hyde stuff.

Just scrap everything and move on.

Keep the players.
I'm not against this.

But it depends on if you think the Texans can win a SB with WatJICson at QB.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I'm not against this.

But it depends on if you think the Texans can win a SB with WatJICson at QB.
I am willing to see if Watson can.

He is either going to be in a Peyton Manning type of situation, a Drew Brees, or a Dan Marino.

Either a new coach brought in to win, or a change of scenery to win, or very talented but just doesn’t get it done.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I am willing to see if Watson can.

He is either going to be in a Peyton Manning type of situation, a Drew Brees, or a Dan Marino.

Either a new coach brought in to win, or a change of scenery to win, or very talented but just doesn’t get it done.
We have to wait and hope for the best. Hopefully he becomes a Young level QB and not a Moon level QB in the playoffs. So far not so good.

mws

Rookie
I don't care what Tunsil cost. He's here. But what I do care about is his drive stopping penalties. He is supposedly elite & deserves millions of dollars but at the same time he seems unable to grasp the fact that he can't move until the ball does. One way or another this has to stop.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I don't think you know what a bust is. First of all I'm not sure how a guy can be a bust his first year with a team. Second of all Watson has been sacked 38 times this year. That's still higher than I like but its way better than last year and for a mobile QB like Watson those are actually good numbers so not sure where you are getting the underperformed either. Also Watson has shown, when they are there, more trust in his line.

I don't like the penalties and false starts but Clowney use to do that all the time, still does, and the excuse used for him was its because he is an intense player and that's the price you pay for that explosiveness getting after the ball. Well Tunsil is just an intense player and that's the price you pay for a guy that wants to get after the other guy coming for his QB.

The cost was right on the mark and I'm tired of breaking that down for people so sure keep telling yourself it was to high but it wasn't. As far as moving forward goes you can thank the Raiders for that one because they reset the market for an average at best guy. Time to face facts LT are going to get paid like QBs now because this is a QB driven league now so a guy that can be trusted to protect his blind side is going to cost you which ever arm or leg your QB didn't cost you.
Clowney had 13 penalties all of last season (8 being in the offsides/neutral zone infraction variety). This season, Clowney has 7 penalties (6 offsides/nzi).

Tunsil has 16 so far (12 false starts)!!!

Clowney was bad, but Tunsil is taking it to another level!

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Clowney had 13 penalties all of last season (8 being in the offsides/neutral zone infraction variety). This season, Clowney has 7 penalties (6 offsides/nzi).

Tunsil has 16 so far (12 false starts)!!!

Clowney was bad, but Tunsil is taking it to another level!
I never said Clowney was worse at it than Tunsil I said that he did the same thing and people on here defended it as just his style. Not everyone I grant you but a very vocal group.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Tunsil is a good player.

Would not have traded those picks for him and stills.

I'm just not a fan of bargaining from a point of desperation. I'd rather look for deals and steals and I believe with proper scouting and coaching the LT spot could have been filled adequately without spending the draft capital on a player that will also want a huge deal. That's the difference between trading up for a player and trading all those picks for a vet.

Rookie deal for a few years so if needed you can also spend in fa. Texans are not going to have the picks to add young top tier players and they are not going to have the cap space once they re-sign guys.

But he's helped keep Watson more upright than last year and he is a good player. So it wasnt a terrible trade. But I would have preferred they didnt do it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tunsil is a good player.

I'm just not a fan of bargaining from a point of desperation. I'd rather look for deals and steals and I believe with proper scouting and coaching the LT spot could have been filled adequately without spending the draft capital on a player that will also want a huge deal. That's the difference between trading up for a player and trading all those picks for a vet.

Rookie deal for a few years so if needed you can also spend in fa. Texans are not going to have the picks to add young top tier players and they are not going to have the cap space once they re-sign guys.

But he's helped keep Watson more upright than last year and he is a good player. So it wasnt a terrible trade. But I would have preferred they didnt do it.
Fair enough, although they certainly aren't barren of picks in 2020.

With the new CBA I dont think they will be in as bad of cap space issues as you think they will be. The Texans are well positioned cap wise.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Sure you know, but even with proper scouting 1/2 of 1st round picks still wind up busts & & it's a sliding scale downward from there. & you're still bargaining from a point of desperation if you're trading up for a player..In both instances, It just comes down to how bad do you want them.

I just have trouble seeing the a huge difference in the overall tone of the Tunsil deal if instead of giving up what we did to get Tunsil the Texans gave up what they did (or something close) to move up 12 spots in last years draft to get the #1 tackle in Jonah Williams.....or even Dillard. The only thing that you're really gaining is the ability to keep those guys on the cheap for 4 years. The experience, the built in development and immediate impact of sacks DW4 probably wouldn't have to take is all lost.

Secondly, what value does a rookie deal have if said rookie can't play? If anything you run the risk of setting your franchise back 2-3 years by waiting for development that may not come (Suafilo....Flowers.......Robinson....Joekel); 5-6 years or more if that rookie gets your star qb killed in the process of his development.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Tunsil is a good player.

I can respect and agree with your PoV. I wish we would have never been in the spot where we needed to shop for a LT like that but RS barely drafted Oline and then when he did Devlin couldn't coach them and BoB wouldn't fire Devlin. So the great circle of crap was complete and we get to trade two 1st for a starting LT. In reality we didn't get fleeced but I can get why it would feel that way.

This last draft wouldn't have helped us though. Dillard is being bounced around every where on the line in Philly, and it's not helping them, and William's went out with an injury in training. I'm no CnD but to my eye the type of injury it was strikes me that if it didn't happen in training it would have in game. Meanwhile Watson is still getting killed.

So it was one if those, Texans got themselves into the middle of a pile of crap and the only way out is to start shoveling and accept you are going to get crap on you as you get out. To me we should have fixed the line or at least started when they brought Osweiler in. You pay a guy that much money but then put a paper wall in front of him. Yeah that was guranteed to end badly.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Sure you know, but even with proper scouting 1/2 of 1st round picks still wind up busts & & it's a sliding scale downward from there. & you're still bargaining from a point of desperation if you're trading up for a player..In both instances, It just comes down to how bad do you want them.

I just have trouble seeing the a huge difference in the overall tone of the Tunsil deal if instead of giving up what we did to get Tunsil the Texans gave up what they did (or something close) to move up 12 spots in last years draft to get the #1 tackle in Jonah Williams.....or even Dillard. The only thing that you're really gaining is the ability to keep those guys on the cheap for 4 years. The experience, the built in development and immediate impact of sacks DW4 probably wouldn't have to take is all lost.

Secondly, what value does a rookie deal have if said rookie can't play? If anything you run the risk of setting your franchise back 2-3 years by waiting for development that may not come (Suafilo....Flowers.......Robinson....Joekel); 5-6 years or more if that rookie gets your star qb killed in the process of his development.
All valid points. And truth be told, we'll never truly know what was the correct move or not. I will say that his pass pro is a breath of fresh air, but his penalties and run blocking isn't what I would expect from an "elite" franchise LT. Maybe I'd give him more benefit of the doubt if he was a rookie, but he should be more polished as a 4th year player.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Watching Texans fans still try to defend OB's ridiculous trade moves with Clowney and Tunsil gets funnier by the minute.

I'm sure we'll continue to hear "Watson was going to die" by week 6 if OB hadn't done it. Nothing else past, present, or future mattered because Watson would have died.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Watching Texans fans still try to defend OB's ridiculous trade moves with Clowney and Tunsil gets funnier by the minute.

I'm sure we'll continue to hear "Watson was going to die" by week 6 if OB hadn't done it. Nothing else past, present, or future mattered because Watson would have died.
Lol, who are you kidding, i'm sure Beli & TB12 would've loved to have given up what we did to have Tunsil right about now.

As for Clowney, The guy we got back for Clowney literally recieves 1/2 the defensive snaps Clowney gets.........but he already has more sacks and a quarter of the FF's that elite defender has.

BoB may have gotten owned in the trade, but it looks less and less like some huge mistake was made in letting that dude walk.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
4th & 1 why aren’t we running behind our LT for one measly yard? He’s not the best run blocker, but as a coach you should show him trust that we are going your way on our most critical plays and I trust you to get it done. All the penalties aside get this guy to buy in. Tunsil is not sounding like a super happy guy right now.

if you can’t get a yard behind your franchise, all pro guy or even make an attempt what the hell is everyone doing at practice, meetings in the film room? Where is the situational stat nerd running behind OBrien with up to the minute analysis? Play success rates? One freaking yard man I’m sure you can have Tunsil fall forward and you get the first. Empower your guys it’s the only way to separate responsibility from accountability.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I wish we weren't in the situation we were in. 6 years of poor OL. I'm glad they did what they did. Much better than trying to find a place for Matt Kalil to play.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
All valid points. And truth be told, we'll never truly know what was the correct move or not. I will say that his pass pro is a breath of fresh air, but his penalties and run blocking isn't what I would expect from an "elite" franchise LT. Maybe I'd give him more benefit of the doubt if he was a rookie, but he should be more polished as a 4th year player.
Tunsil was better with the Dolphins than the Texans,.

Thanks Devlin

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Devlin needs to go.

Marrone hopefully will be the next OL coach.

He's been the top rated LT in pass pro. Hardly a bust. IMHO
Unfortunately he has hurt the Texans on the field most penalized player in the league https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Laremy-Tunsil-s-dubious-distinction-NFL-s-most-14893344.php#article-comments yet you and others want to make excuses that it’s ok. It’s not. It causes unforced errors and kills key drives in meaningful, game deciding situations.
Then get into costs. Two #1’s plus cost to extend him otherwise he walks, how is that good return on investment? Would rather run with Howard and still have those picks and contract controlled at minimum price. But no, OB has panic attack and in process lost Clowney in process who was ready to come back and start but then told he would be traded to Miami.
No this is a clusterfuk of epic proportions of which we all know a little, his underperformance on the field. Good luck with that my friend!

beerlover

Hall of Fame

Used word BUST to get reaction and spark conversation. It worked!

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately he has hurt the Texans on the field most penalized player in the league https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Laremy-Tunsil-s-dubious-distinction-NFL-s-most-14893344.php#article-comments yet you and others want to make excuses that it’s ok. It’s not. It causes unforced errors and kills key drives in meaningful, game deciding situations.
Then get into costs. Two #1’s plus cost to extend him otherwise he walks, how is that good return on investment? Would rather run with Howard and still have those picks and contract controlled at minimum price. But no, OB has panic attack and in process lost Clowney in process who was ready to come back and start but then told he would be traded to Miami.
No this is a clusterfuk of epic proportions of which we all know a little, his underperformance on the field. Good luck with that my friend!
I agree the penalties need to stop but to me the biggest stats to consider is that Watson has taken 38 sacks this year. For a mobile QB like him that’s actually pretty good. Howard was not ready and would have not been ready, even more so with Devlin as his coach. I mean look at Dillard in Philly, they at bouncing him all around and Philly actually has a competent Oline coach.

As far as Tunsil walking, let’s say he absolutely says I’m walking no matter what, he won’t but for the sake of argument. We still have him on his contract next year and can then tag him after that if we so chose.

You can call it a panic attack if you want and you might be right but they did try about everything they could before. They tried Howard, he wasn’t ready, they tried a Kalil, he was on roller skates, they tried the returning players and they sucked just as bad as last year. There wasn’t much else they could have done.

Used word BUST to get reaction and spark conversation. It worked!
:tiphat:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Damn I couldn't like this post enough times.

Very well put.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Here’s how I see it either Tunsil sucks and we were bamboozled or Tunsil was worth the price but the coaching has been bamboozling us for years.

Tunsil was arguably an elite LT before arriving on Kirby. That leaves one option imo.

It's coaching. This line in week 15 is still having big time issues with stunts and blitz schemes. Communication between that unit is piss pour.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Glad we've got Tunsil because Howard is on IR and not a LT to begin with. He's a 10 yr starter at RT and there's value in this. Tunsil is a stud, or atleast he was in Miami. That speaks to coaching and Devlin should've been fired 2 yrs ago. For this reason I would be OK if BOB was fired after this season too. Same issues Kubiak had with Richard Smith/Bush etc....

Without Tunsil, Clark would be protecting DW4's blindside and we've seen how this play turns out the last 2 seasons. Punctured lung/Broken ribs/Torn ACL.

Let me know when your off and meet me in the Livable forsest at my buddies craft beer bar. They've got a bourbon aged stout I think you would really like. Atleast I know I like it alot.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
They've got a bourbon aged stout I think you would really like. Atleast I know I like it alot.
I dunno is that the one your dog also drinks with you or is he more of an IPA dog ? And that beer doesn't bother your canine buddy ?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Double post
Since Doc let me know how harmful it was for my dog to drink beer with me, I stopped doing that. I think my dog that I really loved died at age 16 because I let her drink beer with me. We had great times and I really miss her. I also feel really guilty about that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That sounds lovely honestly. How was it? Do we have a craft beer thread?
Sorry for the side track.
It is wonderful.

If you like these kinds of beers the Lakewood temptress (Nitro) out of Dallas is yummy and the 512 porter out of Austin is really good too.

I dont know about a Craft beer thread but if there's one lets go there and talk beer. Beerlover is awesome to talk beer with also.

austins23

Hall of Fame
I dunno is that the one your dog also drinks with you or is he more of an IPA dog ? And that beer doesn't bother your canine buddy ?
That sounds lovely honestly. How was it? Do we have a craft beer thread?
Sorry for the side track.
It is wonderful.

If you like these kinds of beers the Lakewood temptress (Nitro) out of Dallas is yummy and the 512 porter out of Austin is really good too.

I dont know about a Craft beer thread but if there's one lets go there and talk beer. Beerlover is awesome to talk beer with also.
Here you go fellas. I like a good beer as much as the next guy.....

disaacks3

Staff member
It is wonderful.

The two things Beerlover is my go-to on - Draft Research and Beer Brewing!