Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

It was nice knowing you Cullen Gillaspia, FB from Texas A&M

bah007

Hall of Fame
Because he was drafted and LB was highly valued this draft class. Just saying if you want special teams depth/talent, get someone who can tackle, bigger body and near elite measureables.

Ty - 6’1 241lbs 10” hands 31 1/2” arms ran a 4.51 forty, repped 220 26 times, five more than Tytus Howard.

Devin White the 5th overall selection of Tampa Bay, is 6’0” 237lbs 9 3/4” hands 32 1/8” arms ran 4.42 forty, repped 220 22 times one more than Tytus Howard.

Devin Bush the 10th overall selection of Pittsburg, is 5’11” 234lbs, 9 5/8” hands 32” arms ran 4.43 forty, repped 220 21 times same as Tytus Howard.

Core special teams as rookie with potential to become a starter @ high impact position where injuries are common place. Production is there 317 tackles @ TCU. White had 286 tackles (3 years) and Bush had 172 tackles (also 3 years). Certainly don’t see star potential of the Devins but a quality LB with comparable measurables who can help on special teams is pretty solid for a 7th rd. pick.
And a former HS QB, which is always an attractive trait to me when scouting ILBs and Safeties.

Over 30 rushing TDs as a QB his senior year at a 6A school. Fantastic athlete. Would have loved that pick.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Because he was drafted and LB was highly valued this draft class. Just saying if you want special teams depth/talent, get someone who can tackle, bigger body and near elite measureables.

Ty - 6’1 241lbs 10” hands 31 1/2” arms ran a 4.51 forty, repped 220 26 times, five more than Tytus Howard.

Devin White the 5th overall selection of Tampa Bay, is 6’0” 237lbs 9 3/4” hands 32 1/8” arms ran 4.42 forty, repped 220 22 times one more than Tytus Howard.

Devin Bush the 10th overall selection of Pittsburg, is 5’11” 234lbs, 9 5/8” hands 32” arms ran 4.43 forty, repped 220 21 times same as Tytus Howard.

Core special teams as rookie with potential to become a starter @ high impact position where injuries are common place. Production is there 317 tackles @ TCU. White had 286 tackles (3 years) and Bush had 172 tackles (also 3 years). Certainly don’t see star potential of the Devins but a quality LB with comparable measurables who can help on special teams is pretty solid for a 7th rd. pick.
Strange he fell to 7th. Best guess why Texans didn’t take this prospect in particular is they don’t think he’d make the team given how deep they are at position and Gillaspia at least gives them idea of using FB and proven ST production (not sure how much ST Summers played at TCU).

But given his measurables and production he should have gone higher than where he was picked.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Gotta keep Aggie fans buying those tickets

That's how I see this pick.

Would've rather had Hall.
Meh, maybe.
OB likes FB's - kinda old school like that.
Hell, if it helps give us a run game, I'm all in.
Strange he fell to 7th. Best guess why Texans didn’t take this prospect in particular is they don’t think he’d make the team given how deep they are at position and Gillaspia at least gives them idea of using FB and proven ST production (not sure how much ST Summers played at TCU).

But given his measurables and production he should have gone higher than where he was picked.
This was a weird draft where a LOT of good players fell several rounds or more or even out of the draft.
This is an intriguing list of the top 28 players who didn't get drafted.
Wish we had gotten Nate Herbig and Beau Benzschawel.

Last edited:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Perhaps because he was not all that - which is probably why he was released.
Let me try this another way, since OB has had almost zero use for them in the NFL, what makes you say he likes them? Is it Penn St?

Prosch's contract expired, he wasn't released.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Perhaps because he was not all that - which is probably why he was released.
When drafted Prosch was considered the top fullback in the draft. Prosch largely played special teams and was pretty average doing so at the pro level. Our current 7th rounder projects to being kinda the same guy except he has very limited experience playing fullback, but more dynamic as a special teams player.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Let me try this another way, since OB has had almost zero use for them in the NFL, what makes you say he likes them? Is it Penn St?

Prosch's contract expired, he wasn't released.
I saw him used. Didn't you?
Good chance OB even had a say in who he wanted.

Dejaview

All Pro
Pretty sure the first time he flies down the field and levels a returner at the 15 the rhetoric here will change. I’m a Longhorn but this guy will be hyped and playing for Aggiedom. Smart pick, actually.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Pretty sure the first time he flies down the field and levels a returner at the 15 the rhetoric here will change. I’m a Longhorn but this guy will be hyped and playing for Aggiedom. Smart pick, actually.
They had to get this guy assigned the #12 to grab the PR opportunity. Somebody said that only QBs and Wrs can have that #. NP, just say he's a WR.

Dejaview

All Pro
They had to get this guy assigned the #12 to grab the PR opportunity. Somebody said that only QBs and Wrs can have that #. NP, just say he's a WR.
I had to think about this pick awhile. But giving a ST wrecking machine extra incentive is probably illegal in blue states.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’m glad you’re optimistic about all the Texans rookies, but it’s difficult sticking in the NFL. The odds are against Cullen G of making the squad. Right now the Texans 3rd QB has a better chance of making the team of off his ST’s play than the former “12th” man.

Dejaview

All Pro
I’m glad you’re optimistic about all the Texans rookies, but it’s difficult sticking in the NFL. The odds are against Cullen G of making the squad. Right now the Texans 3rd QB has a better chance of making the team of off his ST’s play than the former “12th” man.
Hope makes you live longer.

Dejaview

All Pro
Hope makes you live longer.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
So he likes FBs like he likes TEs?
If he will just use this FB, his red zone offense will improve at least 50%. When you will give the ball to the FB or run behind him, your short yardage game is for real. We like to tell jokes about the Aggies, but when they hit you, you stay hit.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
If he will just use this FB, his red zone offense will improve at least 50%. When you will give the ball to the FB or run behind him, your short yardage game is for real. We like to tell jokes about the Aggies, but when they hit you, you stay hit.
Sorry but I dont buy it.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Don't get me wrong from our earlier exchange, I love a good FB. Hence my frustration at OB not seeking out and using one. This guy looks STs for quite a while before being a plus FB. Hopefully not.
Yeah special teams demon for sure. I just hope he rushes and blocks so well OB can't resist trying him out and he rocks.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
The FB as goal line back is almost so rare it is a trick play and has been for a couple decades. Ask Moose who should have had the ball, him or Emmitt. But lead blocking is another matter. Innocuous safety valve. Mobile squat tank in pass pro. Lots of reasons to love a FB. Just not carrying the ball.

Number19

Hall of Fame
A couple of tidbits in Aaron Wilson's Sunday column.

Back on draft day I put out the unanswered question asking about Gillaspia's blocking skills. Wilson answers this, writing that he is a "bruising lead blocker" and "his blue collar work opening up holes for All-Southeastern Conference running back Trayveon Williams."

Also, Gillaspia was brought to NRG stadium for a work out and interviews and "impressed the coaches and scouts",

Finally, Gillaspia was contacted by Jacksonville, Oakland and Los Angeles as well as Houston. Although Houston was his dream team, there were no assurances that Houston could or would have signed him as a UDFA.

This pick reminds me of Vince Papale, the Philedelphia Eagle walkon who made the team as a special team standout.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
A couple of tidbits in Aaron Wilson's Sunday column.

Back on draft day I put out the unanswered question asking about Gillaspia's blocking skills. Wilson answers this, writing that he is a "bruising lead blocker" and "his blue collar work opening up holes for All-Southeastern Conference running back Trayveon Williams.

Also, Gillaspia was brought to NRG stadium for awork out and interviews and "impressed the coaches and scouts",

Finally, Gillaspia was contacted by Jacksonville, Oakland and Los Angeles as well as Houston. Although Houston was his dream team, there were no assurances that Houston could or would have signed him as a UDFA.

This pick reminds me of Vince Papale, the Philedelphia Eagle walking who made the team as a special team standout.
Yeah the "bruising lead blocker" bit caught my eye too.
I saw this about a week ago and thought that this just might have "3rd and 1" or goalline situation written all over it.
How many times did this offense stall on 3rd and 1 last season - or the season before that?
Pick up a handful or so more of those in a season and it could mean an extra win or two.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Pats running game finished 5th overall last season. Interesting side note: Seahawks finished first overall. Maybe Carl Smith will help OB add some of those philosophies, particularly how they threatened Wilson on read-option.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So you think the intent in drafting him was strictly as a special team's gunner? You don't think there will be any short yardage plays in the playbook where a lead blocker is utilized?
I'm still confused as to why they drafted him. But O'Brien was averse to using FB when he got here... he showed he has no idea how to use one. He finally got away from them altogether. Doesn't make sense he'll draft one in the 7th round & design him back into the offense.

I could be & most likely am wrong. But no, it doesn't make sense that we would draft a FB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I'm still confused as to why they drafted him. But O'Brien was averse to using FB when he got here... he showed he has no idea how to use one. He finally got away from them altogether. Doesn't make sense he'll draft one in the 7th round & design him back into the offense.

I could be & most likely am wrong. But no, it doesn't make sense that we would draft a FB
lessons learned?