Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Xavier Hutchinson

Reminds me of Mario Bailey selected by the oilers 30 some years ago.

Seems fairly close to a guy we already have on the roster, but I’m fine with this pick. By all accounts a value as a 6th rounder. Looks to be a good fit for the offense I envision. I don’t see him as a star, but as a piece of a good overall WR room. Has a fair to good chance of sticking on the 53 as a rookie and hopefully develops further.

I think what I like best is the way they have attacked their areas of obvious weakness. Everyone knew QB, DE, WR, and interior online were the areas most needed.

Nick answers that call with two WR, two interior o linemen, and potential stars at QB and DE.

It’s fair to have some different ideas on the who…but you cannot fairly criticize the what.

Seems fairly close to a guy we already have on the roster, but I’m fine with this pick. By all accounts a value as a 6th rounder. Looks to be a good fit for the offense I envision. I don’t see him as a star, but as a piece of a good overall WR room. Has a fair to good chance of sticking on the 53 as a rookie and hopefully develops further.

I think what I like best is the way they have attacked their areas of obvious weakness. Everyone knew QB, DE, WR, and interior online were the areas most needed.

Nick answers that call with two WR, two interior o linemen, and potential stars at QB and DE.

It’s fair to have some different ideas on the who…but you cannot fairly criticize the what.

This team is a legitimate contender for the division after this weekend. I did not expect that to happen coming into the draft. But adding two franchise players on day one made that possible. Sure giving up the draft ammo to get to Anderson hurts. But the chance to add a superstar defender is worth it. That accelerates the time line on Stroud’s rookie contract. One extra year added to that Super Bowl window having a QB on a rookie contract.

And add in the picks the rest of the way. The Texans have reinforced the trenches and added quality depth to the roster. They are in the mix for that AFC South banner this year. If all goes well, maybe they will be legitimate contenders while the rookie contract window is open!

I hope he works out, but the hype on some of his Draft Profiles and Twitter accounts don't match what I saw. He is pretty slow, he's pretty slow to react, he DOESN'T have great hands, and he's not going to win many contested passes. I guess besides these treats, he's a perfect pick for the Texans receiving corps.

EDIT: T,he above should have read "traits," not "treats."

Last edited:
I hope he works out, but the hype on some of his Draft Profiles and Twitter accounts don't match what I saw. He is pretty slow, he's pretty slow to react, he DOESN'T have great hands, and he's not going to win many contested passes. I guess besides these treats, he's a perfect pick for the Texans receiving corps.

Zing.

Hutchinson is a typical WCO WR that lives on slants and crossing patterns. Will block, which is important to the new Texans offense. Like the rest of the WRs corps, not a threat to take the top off the defense. Considering the inability of some the Texans WRs to stay on the field, Hutchinson will see his share of snaps as a rookie.

Hutchinson is a typical WCO WR that lives on slants and crossing patterns. Will block, which is important to the new Texans offense. Like the rest of the WRs corps, not a threat to take the top off the defense. Considering the inability of some the Texans WRs to stay on the field, Hutchinson will see his share of snaps as a rookie.
Hutchinson is comparable to the 49ers Jennings.

Guy has limitations, but he can play.

Nice pick up later in the draft. I am thinking of him as a Kevin Walter type. Not the flashiest or fastest but will make plays. He needs some polish on routes and to focus on catching with his hands all the time. His scouting reports say he has an issue at times of letting the ball attack his hands rather than snagging it with his hands. Which led to a few drops, nothing major. Just needs a little coaching in this area. Everything listed seems like it can be fixed with an NFL staff coaching him. Here is the NFL.com scouting report

Ok, this is probably BS from PFF. Since digging into him a bit more and looking at film, his attributes, and his overall production, I think he's got a good chance to make this team out of camp. Maybe he will contribute as a rookie. Jennings is a decent comp. If he can be a little higher-level Kevin Walter possession receiver and willing blocker, that's a good pick for a 6th rounder. I'm anxious to see what he can do.

Ok, this is probably BS from PFF. Since digging into him a bit more and looking at film, his attributes, and his overall production, I think he's got a good chance to make this team out of camp. Maybe he will contribute as a rookie. Jennings is a decent comp. If he can be a little higher-level Kevin Walter possession receiver and willing blocker, that's a good pick for a 6th rounder. I'm anxious to see what he can do.

Beat me by a minute. Lol 😆

If he has a Kevin Walter career he’s a home run for a 6th round pick.

This kid actually has the ability to be really good. He seems to improve, as stated in the report, from one game to another. Him letting the ball attack his hands vs attacking the ball is the only true issue that could lead to issues for a while.

#10 ranked WR according to Lindys Pro Football Draft magazine. He has everything you want. Only issue is that he let's some passes attack his hands instead of him attacking the ball. Making some of his catches not as good as they could be. However, if he puts in work on the juggs machine and kicks that behavior. He is going to be better than many expect.

20230511_080820.jpg20230511_080829.jpg20230511_080834.jpg

This is a short video of things X can do. I admit it is not the top DBs. I don't think the top 6 or so DBs were at the senior bowl. But, shows he has some very good ability. I'm not sure from the film if the scouting reports were correct about his "not attacking the ball but rather letting the ball attack his hands". As it sure does seem he is attacking the ball.

This is a short video of things X can do. I admit it is not the top DBs. I don't think the top 6 or so DBs were at the senior bowl. But, shows he has some very good ability. I'm not sure from the film if the scouting reports were correct about his "not attacking the ball but rather letting the ball attack his hands". As it sure does seem he is attacking the ball.

Looks like a possible big slot to me.

As long as he’s catching the ball and that’s all that matters. And he’s not using his body to catch the football.

These jokers are always making up stuff lol. I bet some of them probably never played football before.

I only watched first reception and he did NOT attack the ball . Every thing else looked very good!

As long as he’s catching the ball and that’s all that matters. And he’s not using his body to catch the football.

These jokers are always making up stuff lol. I bet some of them probably never played football before.
I don't know about this guy. But a similar thing was said about Will Fuller & if you watched his games... he had trouble catching the ball.

But he worked on it. By the time of the combine, he had some of the best hands I had ever seen.

Loved watching WFV have some soft hands way down the field, right before some minor move or impact knocked him out for the season.
How about when he flew past the CB on a deep route only to drop the perfectly thrown pass for a TD?

Can't believe I forgot about Hutchinson going to the Texans.
I really like this kids play and while I am NOT about to say he's going to have some crazy All Pro career, there is a player I see in him when watching him run routes. Chad Johnson. Yeah, yeah, of course I see a Bengals player in him, but I watched and loved Chad for many years with the Bengals and no one thought that about a kid who wasn't really even a one year wonder. Hutchinson has more quickness than straight line speed, just like Chad who ran a 4.58 40 at the Combine, but was quick with his feet. Hutchinson needs some work, but by all accounts, he has the opportunity to do just that. He doesn't need to be a #1 WR either, he just needs to complement the corps and make plays when given the chance. I think his ceiling is high and certainly in comparison to some other late round WR's taken this year.

Can't believe I forgot about Hutchinson going to the Texans.
I really like this kids play and while I am NOT about to say he's going to have some crazy All Pro career, there is a player I see in him when watching him run routes. Chad Johnson. Yeah, yeah, of course I see a Bengals player in him, but I watched and loved Chad for many years with the Bengals and no one thought that about a kid who wasn't really even a one year wonder. Hutchinson has more quickness than straight line speed, just like Chad who ran a 4.58 40 at the Combine, but was quick with his feet. Hutchinson needs some work, but by all accounts, he has the opportunity to do just that. He doesn't need to be a #1 WR either, he just needs to complement the corps and make plays when given the chance. I think his ceiling is high and certainly in comparison to some other late round WR's taken this year.
JuJaun Jennings?

Back