Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Will Anderson

Texans did their usual blunder when they drafted Clowney. It started with their personal workouts. They were trying to determine if he could be switched from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB….they decided he could make the switch instead of drafting Khalil Mack who was an OLB.

If the Texans had switched their defense to a true 4-3 scheme and had Watt and Clowney as bookend DE’s, Texans probably have a much more productive Clowney.

There is an old Clowney thread around somewhere... I believe it's in the NFL forum where it belongs

Anytime Texans select #1 overall that pick should remain for perpetuity if only not to repeat same mistakes. Last two drafts you could bump that down to #3 overall too. These picks carry too much oxygen to ignore.
So we should revive all the old HWSNBN and Mario threads?

I don't get the delay in signing. Everything is slotted for the rookies. It must have to do with offset language in the contract.
The values are slotted but all the terms are not...as you mentioned offset language, that is just one of the terms that can be negotiated.

DM,
Rhymes with BM and that's what's going on here, a bunch of crap.
This is not surprising at all, this is what Hannah and her marketing machine signed up for. This is only the beginning. If Stroud is avg or slightly above avg you can bet this will happen again after yr 3. Good luck with that Hannah.
DM must be one helluva a problem in the NFL, here is the current signing tracker for this year's draft picks.

2023 NFL Draft Pick Signings - June 2023

There's also 14 round 2, 2 round 3, 2 round 4 and 3 round 6 yet unsigned
Don't care about those. I just care about getting the future leaders of the team signed.

Some are going to great lengths to defend DM, bottom line is the McNair's made a choice and now they will have to live with that choice.

Don't care about those. I just care about getting the future leaders of the team signed.

Some are going to great lengths to defend DM, bottom line is the McNair's made a choice and now they will have to live with that choice.

images

Nevertheless I believe that Clowney still remains as the undisputed champion of hype and elevated expectations.
Moreso than David Carr??? Clowney went to 3 Pro Bowls as a Texan.

Clowney is certainly one of the most polarizing players in Texans history. Yes, Clowney was not the best player in his draft class. Yes, he was injured often early in his career (thru no fault of his own). JD was a productive player for the Texans and one of many that got on the wrong side of Bill O'Brien. Never deserved the derision he received from Texans fans.

Last edited:
Defend what? Some are going to great lengths to smear CJ. Stroud has missed exactly zero days of practice.
One of the last guys to get signed. A staple for DM clients. Oh well, I don't care anymore, the McNair's signed up for this.

[/QUOTE]
Moreso than David Carr??? Clowney went to 3 Pro Bowls as a Texan.

Clowney is certainly one of the most polarizing players in Texans history. Yes, Clowney was not the best player in his draft class. Yes, he was injured often early in his career (thru no fault of his own). JD was a productive player for the Texans and one of many that got on the wrong side of Bill O'Brien. Never deserved the derision he received from Texans fans.
"Moreso than Carr" ?
They may have both been first overalls, but best to my recollection Carr was never heralded as a generational talent,
talked about as a player with such prodigious talent he was practically a living legend in South Carolina. Why I'm kinda surprised there wasn't an "ode to Jadeveon" floating around by the time he was drafted and arrived here in Houston.
And to this day I remain a big Clowney fan, perhaps the biggest on this MB, but alas I too must admit that he truly was an imperfect man.

They may have both been first overalls, but best to my recollection Carr was never heralded as a generational talent
Carr was the expansion team's first draft choice. #1 overall pick. There was a lot of hype, I can assure you.

Carr was the expansion team's first draft choice. #1 overall pick. There was a lot of hype, I can assure you.
I remember it well, and of course Carrs last year in town was our new HCs rookie season in the NFL while playing here for the Texans, and that was a tough 5 year stretch for all of us, most of all Carr himself.

It's 3 weeks before camp opens... what's your rush?
24 other 1st rd picks and their agents dont look at it like you homers do. Meanwhile he was out hob knobbing with the stars this weekend according to 610.

24 other 1st rd picks and their agents dont look at it like you homers do. Meanwhile he was out hob knobbing with the stars this weekend according to 610.
Of course you've never given any thought to the idea that the holdup might be on the Texans part

Of course you've never given any thought to the idea that the holdup might be on the Texans part

The salaries are slotted, there's no reason for the McNair's to hold things up. They sure didn't holdup the WA signing so I seriously doubt they've held up the Stroud signing. But hey, you do you and keep on making excuses for Stroud and David from the bleep.

The salaries are slotted, there's no reason for the McNair's to hold things up. They sure didn't holdup the WA signing so I seriously doubt they've held up the Stroud signing. But hey, you do you and keep on making excuses for Stroud and David from the bleep.
If it was just about the salaries all 256 rookies would be signed by now. I'm making excuses no more than you have an open mind

If it was just about the salaries all 256 rookies would be signed by now. I'm making excuses no more than you have an open mind
Explain to me why WA is signed and Stroud isn't?

Are you surprised? I'm certainly not and it's going to be much worse after yr 3 if Stroud is even avg.

Explain to me why Bijan Robinson is signed and Jahmyr Gibbs is not. Or why Tyree Wilson and WA are signed and Will McDonald is not.

Apples and Oranges, you're talking about different teams and ownerships even though draft salaries are slotted.

Explain to me why a team that picked 1-2 and 1-3 why they were able to sign 1-3 but not 1-2? Fact is the McNair's have nothing to do with Stroud not signing and frankly nobody should be surprised and expect the worst in the future, so everybody wont be surprised when things go badly. But hey, Hannah got her shiny new marketing toy and Stroud is currently living a celeb's life although he's produced absolutely nothing in his career to this point. But I gues to some it's entertaining to see your new your new QB hob knobbing with the Hollywood/Rapper crowds and entertainment is what matters most to Hannah and some fans. Enjoy and embrace

Apples and Oranges, you're talking about different teams and ownerships even though draft salaries are slotted.
Why is Broderick Jones signed and Joey Porter Jr is not? Even though Jones is a first round pick and Porter is not

Last edited:
No excuses

Apples to Oranges comparisons are not excuses, they're facts. There really should be no excuses about why he hasn't already signed. Except building his brand is more important than getting his contract done. I guess WA is a football player 1st and foremost. He's worried about what it will take to allow him to be as successful as possible in the NFL. Which is quite different than Stroud and the trash he hangs with.

Apples to Oranges comparisons are not excuses, they're facts. There really should be no excuses about why he hasn't already signed. Except building his brand is more important than getting his contract done. I guess WA is a football player 1st and foremost. He's worried about what it will take to allow him to be as successful as possible in the NFL. Which is quite different than Stroud and the trash he hangs with.
Check my edited reply and give me a good answer to that if you can even though it doesn't fit your agenda

Explain to me why a team that picked 1-2 and 1-3 why they were able to sign 1-3 but not 1-2? Fact is the McNair's have nothing to do with Stroud not signing and frankly nobody should be surprised and expect the worst in the future, so everybody wont be surprised when things go badly. But hey, Hannah got her shiny new marketing toy and Stroud is currently living a celeb's life although he's produced absolutely nothing in his career to this point. But I gues to some it's entertaining to see your new your new QB hob knobbing with the Hollywood/Rapper crowds and entertainment is what matters most to Hannah and some fans. Enjoy and embrace

Would it be fair to say that the top 5 QBs unsigned (Young, Stroud and Richardson) happens to be an apples to apples comparison and not yet a Mulughetta conspiracy? When 1.1 signs I anticipate 2 and 4 will follow suit. I am not going to waste any further mental bandwidth on this subject.

Would it be fair to say that the top 5 QBs unsigned (Young, Stroud and Richardson) happens to be an apples to apples comparison and not yet a Mulughetta conspiracy? When 1.1 signs I anticipate 2 and 4 will follow suit. I am not going to waste any further mental bandwidth on this subject.
You could, or you could also ask why the McNair's were able to sign 1-3 but not 1-2?

Why is Broderick Jones signed and Joey Porter Jr is not? Even though Jones is a first round pick and Porter is not
If you notice there are more unsigned 2nd rd picks than 1st rd picks. Could be because mgmt is concentrating on getting 1st rd picks signed and agents of the 2nd rd picks are waiting on the 1st rd picks to sign before they get deals done with the 1st rd picks. You still haven't answered why they were able to get WA done but not Stroud done. If we're honest I think we know what the issue is.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Congratulations. Save that bandwidth for training camp. I expect this silly, transparent narrative to continue through late July.

You still haven't answered why they were able to get WA done but not Stroud done.
Perhaps they are trying to get an extension with Howard done and that is where the focus is. Perhaps they wanr to clear cap room in another way. They only have ~ $13M. They will need $8M to sign Stroud and then have money left for injuries and other signings. I don't know and neither do you. To claim otherwise makes you sound like a petulant child

Perhaps they are trying to get an extension with Howard done and that is where the focus is. Perhaps they wanr to clear cap room in another way. They only have ~ $13M. They will need $8M to sign Stroud and then have money left for injuries and other signings. I don't know and neither do you. To claim otherwise makes you sound like a petulant child
Then why did they sign WA if they needed this?

yep

Non issue really

Dudes gonna sign even if it’s right before training camp

Exactly. Anyone without an agenda knows that it's not simply about the money on these rookie contracts. It's also about the signing bonus terms and even the offset language.

For anyone interested in the details. Here is a good article on the contract negotiations:

Agent's Take: 2023 NFL rookie contract projections for key Round 1 picks, with a rookie wage scale explainer - CBSSports.com

"Generally, quarterbacks have been more successful in getting signing bonus paid in its entirety shortly after signing. In addition to Lawrence in 2021, Zach Wilson and Trey Lance, the second and third overall picks, got their $22,924,132 and $22,163,824 signing bonuses paid in a lump sum by the Jets and 49ers, respectively. Receipt of the money was in a similar timeframe as Lawrence.

The first two picks in 2020 had lump sum signing bonus payments. First overall pick Joe Burrow's $23,880,100 signing bonus was paid within 15 days of signing his contract with the Bengals. Second overall pick Chase Young got his $22,697,160 signing bonus from the Commanders within 30 days of signing.

Prior to that, 2018 third overall pick Sam Darnold's entire $20,078,324 signing bonus was payable by the Jets within 15 days of inking his deal. 2019 second overall pick Nick Bosa got a lump sum payment from the 49ers. His $22,421,356 signing bonus was payable in the same timeframe as Darnold's.

It will be interesting to see whether Bryce Young will be able to extend the lump payment to four straight years with the first overall pick when the Panthers sign him. Carolina has had top 10 picks in each of the last three drafts. None of the players have gotten their signing bonus in a lump sum. For example, 2022 sixth overall pick Ikem Ekwonu received $12,060,644 of his $17,299,492 signing bonus within 30 days of executing his contract. The remaining $5,168,848 wasn't payable until April 1, 2023.

Signing bonus payment could be also a sticking point with second overall pick C.J. Stroud. Three of the last four players selected second overall (Wilson, Young and Bosa) have gotten lump sum signing bonus payments. Aidan Hutchinson didn't last year. Half of his $23,153,372 signing bonus was paid by the Lions within 30 days of signing. The other half was received in the middle of September. Hutchinson's payment schedule was essentially the same as 2021 seventh overall pick Penei Sewell had with the Lions.

The Texans didn't give 2022 third overall pick Derek Stingley Jr. his $22,385,464 signing bonus in a lump sum. He got $17,908,372 within 15 days of signing. The other $4,477,092 was paid on Dec. 15, 2022.

Conceding the signing bonus payment issue to Stroud could be more problematic for the Texans than it would be for the Panthers with Young. The Texans traded up to the third overall pick to select Will Anderson Jr.. Anderson's representation will surely insist on a lump sum payment if Stroud gets one."

Back