Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Shaq Griffin!

Very excited about this addition! I had posted in my post draft roster prediction that my biggest concern coming into the season is the outside CB depth. Griffin not only provides that, but now there will be a legitimate competition at CB2 between him and Nelson. With the loser being quality depth. Injury insurance for Stingley as well. He has his warts as a player, but this is a great value signing with big time upside.

I think DeMeco and Undlin will be able to put him in the best position to maximize his talent. And he must agree as well. There’s a reason these vets are signing one year contracts to be on this defense. DeMeco has made a lot of different players money in his short coaching career.

This CB room is the best since the days of Jo Jo and KJ. And the most depth I can remember.

Last edited:
PFF wasn’t high on him coming out of Seattle. & the Jag fans on duvalpride were happy to see him go.

He posted a 72.1 grade in 2021 his first season with Jags. Second highest graded player on their team that season.

Played with back injury five games in 2022 before ultimately going to IR. PFF graded him at 61.8. Jags fans were frustrated he wasn’t playing up to that $15 million/year price tag. Texans get him for 1/5 the price. Different expectations/situation.

Pro bowl CB in 2019 with Seattle. This is a low risk high reward signing and best player available for outside CB depth imo. Much prefer Griffin to Kendall Sheffield or Darius Phillips.

Last edited:
@CloakNNNdagger would know more about this… but he has been “medically cleared” prior to his release because Jags had to make moves to get under the salary cap. I expect him to be an upgrade if he is medically cleared for football.
TheRealJoker...........you're keeping me busy! :)

Griffin sustained a nondisplaced compression vertebral fracture in the 2020 offseason and rested it with conservative treatments until the 1st regular season game. Most such fractures do not require surgery. He then tried to play through it for several season games missing one in the middle of that run, but pain became too limiting. He then was placed on IR in order to undergo microdiscectomy to relieve the pressure on the spinal root by a bulging disc that was causing the pain (much like was the case of Tony Romo).

The fracture itself will unlikely be the future problem. But additional trauma to the disc could be (ala JJ Watt). A CB is a significant risk for re-injury because of the repeated high impact collisions that are part of playing the position.

Griffin has allowed 109 and 110 passer ratings on targets the past 2 seasons. He hasn't had an interception since 2020. I think Griffin has always been overrated, but he definitely wasn't worth the $26 million the Jags paid him the past 2 seasons. What Griffin has going for him is familiarity with the type of defense the Texans will deploy in 2023. Will that be enough to earn snaps in front of Desmond King and/or Tavierre Thomas? We'll see.

Griffin has allowed 109 and 110 passer ratings on targets the past 2 seasons. He hasn't had an interception since 2020. I think Griffin has always been overrated, but he definitely wasn't worth the $26 million the Jags paid him the past 2 seasons. What Griffin has going for him is familiarity with the type of defense the Texans will deploy in 2023. Will that be enough to earn snaps in front of Desmond King and/or Tavierre Thomas? We'll see.

King/Thomas are nickel CBs. Griffin allows them to stay there instead of playing out of position at outside CB if injuries arise. And he pushes Nelson for the starting job in a contract year for both with the loser providing much needed outside CB depth.

L 5 vertebrae

#3 overall pick not enough investment? Multi year starter for playoff teams since he’s been in the league at CB 2 not enough investment?

Does 1 cb fill all starting roles? No it does not. Does his draft position insure a competent starter? No it does not.

Does 1 cb fill all starting roles? No it does not. Does his draft position insure a competent starter? No it does not.

Again, show me the teams that have made the investment you’re seeking and have a five deep rotation at CB…

And i’ve mentioned just three CB investments, not touching on the nickels that everybody likes (Thomas/King).

I’m a bit confused in your wording “lack of investment” at a position they’ve clearly invested in. So now I am lacking investment in continuing this exercise of answering questions with questions.

Lol

Find a team with the #5 CB that has his resume.

You compared a cut cb to a roster like it was an improvement. Maybe it was at the #5 spot. Is it for the #2 position? I hardly think so.

This is a depth move only. I'm not against it. But don't get sugar canes and super bowls stuck in your eyes.

And he pushes Nelson for the starting job in a contract year for both with the loser providing much needed outside CB depth.
I was pleasantly surprised by Nelson in 2023.

From what I've read, Griffin ain't pushing nobody in our secondary. Looks like he's being given a final shot to stay in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if an UDFA beats him out of a spot.

The guy definitely has the talent to start, but he's wasted his opportunity so far.

From what I've read, Griffin ain't pushing nobody in our secondary. Looks like he's being given a final shot to stay in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if an UDFA beats him out of a spot.

The guy definitely has the talent to start, but he's wasted his opportunity so far.

A UDFA really? Don’t be silly…

He’s getting a 1 year contract worth up to 4.5 million. Nelson got a 2 year contract last offseason worth up to 9 million. They are competing.

Darius Phillips, the other CB recently signed on the other hand, got a 1 year 1,080,000 contract. He is likely just a camp body.

Griffin has been starting since he entered the league. This MIGHT be the first season he’s a backup. That is a quality backup.

How did a 3rd round pick former pro bowler that has been starting in the NFL for six seasons “waste” his opportunity? Geez, I thought only Stroud had tough critics on this board these days!

DeMeco may salvage him. He did fine in Seattle, maybe he'll fit better here than he did with the Jags

IMO the secondary will be the best position group of the team. Now if we can just get a pass rush, that will make the secondary even better - I expect Anderson will help with that.

The DL is much improved this season with Anderson and Rankins as starters. Also Ridgeway and Horton added as depth.

I would like to see them bring back Jake Martin to add to the competition for DL depth. You can never have too many pass rushers, just ask the Eagles!

I was pleasantly surprised by Steven Nelson last year. We'll see if Shaq has any game left, but I like the signing.

Best case, he pushes Nelson for that #2 outside spot. Worst case (if healthy), he provides a depth piece that's been around and started many times. I don't see much to complain about here unless you wanted him for 2 or 3 years. We all know how tricky Nicky operates. Unless you're a very clean, near sure thing, you're getting a 1 yr deal here and then you move on to bigger and better places. I'm not a fan of that style in such a wholesale across-the-board fashion, but it is what it is.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but his brother and he were both drafted by Seattle and his brother had one arm. Is this the guys? I remember that story and am pretty sure I'm right. A great uplifting story that stuck out at the time.

I was pleasantly surprised by Steven Nelson last year. We'll see if Shaq has any game left, but I like the signing.

Best case, he pushes Nelson for that #2 outside spot. Worst case (if healthy), he provides a depth piece that's been around and started many times. I don't see much to complain about here unless you wanted him for 2 or 3 years. We all know how tricky Nicky operates. Unless you're a very clean, near sure thing, you're getting a 1 yr deal here and then you move on to bigger and better places. I'm not a fan of that style in such a wholesale across-the-board fashion, but it is what it is.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but his brother and he were both drafted by Seattle and his brother had one arm. Is this the guys? I remember that story and am pretty sure I'm right. A great uplifting story that stuck out at the time.

Yes, twin brothers that were both studs at UCF. Then got drafted by the same team. Great story. I believe his brother Shaquem is getting a film made on his life story.

Hand not arm

The DL is much improved this season with Anderson and Rankins as starters. Also Ridgeway and Horton added as depth.

I would like to see them bring back Jake Martin to add to the competition for DL depth. You can never have too many pass rushers, just ask the Eagles!
If Martin is healthy, which I'm beginning to doubt. A patellar injury can take away the explosive 1st step which is Martin's game.

Ok thanks for the correction. Yes, now that I'm thinking about it, it was the south end of the elbow and just led to a stump near where the hand would start. I don't remember the circumstances 100% for sure, but vaguely remember it as a birth defect. Very uplifting and inspiring story.

He suffered from amniotic band syndrome.. Due to this he lived with constant pain in that hand. The pain became so unbearable that when he was a toddler his mom walked into the kitchen and caught him trying to cut his hand off with a kitchen knife. After that his parents decided to amputate the hand.

• Sad
Reactions: JB
Back