Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Juice Scruggs

I like that Strausser was on the zoom calls with center prospects. Presumably talking scheme and figuring out if the player has the intelligence for the role. Good to hear that the OL coach signed off on the pick. Strausser is extremely experienced with a track record of success. If he wanted Scruggs as his center then that’s good enough for me.

I don't know. Wypler and Stromberg were both still on the board and Denver picked a WR and LB with their next 2 picks. And even if the Broncos took Scruggs, the Texans still would have been able to get one of those 2. I get that it's easy to say after the fact, and if Scruggs was their best rated of what was left then so be it. And hell, Wypler is still there. It just doesn't feel like good value there to me. No biggie though.
I dont follow college football (at least until Manning gets to UT) but I read a few scouting reports. The biggest difference I see between Wypler and Scruggs, and I never heard of Scruggs or Wypler before this year, is a negative on Wypler is that he can get shoved back on a bull rush whereas nobody moves Juice back. After years of watching our centers getting tooled that said it all for me. Wypler is reported to have better lateral quickness but I don’t want to see the pocket collapse ever again. I love that the Texans are taking this new attack approach seriously. Haven’t heard Dell speak yet but CJ, Will and Juice speak like the men Demeco edit, and NC demands.

And even if the Broncos took Scruggs, the Texans still would have been able to get one of those 2. I get that it's easy to say after the fact, and if Scruggs was their best rated of what was left then so be it. And hell, Wypler is still there. It just doesn't feel like good value there to me.
you're thinking like a mock drafter & not like an NFL team. One guy is not the same as the next guy, or the next guy.

There are guys you want on your team & guys you don't.

Looking at what really happened it tells me, maybe Denver would have taken Scruggs if he was there. He wasn't. There were three other guys they'd rather have on their team than Wypler. Every other team, even though they could use a Center has acted the same way.

There is something about these guys, that we don't know, that teams do.

I don't know that the Texans had to trade up to get Scruggs. But I know they wanted him & they got him. We'll never know if they could have gotten Scruggs had they waited. We also don't know they would have taken Wypler if Scruggs was gone.

So far the theme of this draft is the Texans are going and grabbing guys theyve specifically targeted.

They arent sitting back and waiting and hoping this guy or that guy is there when they pick. They have identified guys they want and they went and got them.
Feels like they have a sense of urgency to improve this team now.

Maybe shortsighted, we'll see.

I like that Strausser was on the zoom calls with center prospects. Presumably talking scheme and figuring out if the player has the intelligence for the role. Good to hear that the OL coach signed off on the pick. Strausser is extremely experienced with a track record of success. If he wanted Scruggs as his center then that’s good enough for me.
I agree but as with Caserio all pressure should be on Strausser: praise or boos.

you're thinking like a mock drafter & not like an NFL team. One guy is not the same as the next guy, or the next guy.

Looking at what really happened it tells me, maybe Denver would have taken Scruggs if he was there. He wasn't. There were three other guys they'd rather have on their team than Wypler. Every other team, even though they could use a Center has acted the same way.

I don't know that the Texans had to trade up to get Scruggs. But I know they wanted him & they got him. We'll never know if they could have gotten Scruggs had they waited. We also don't know they would have taken Wypler if Scruggs was gone.
Patriots just took center Jake Andrews over Wypler.. something out there we don't know.

No, I get it, but let's not act like that just because teams have it rated differently, have more info and they like who they like, means they get it more right than anybody else. They are wrong way more often than not, otherwise there would never be busts or guys like Brady or Arian Foster getting passed up.

No, I get it, but let's not act like that just because teams have it rated differently, have more info and they like who they like, means they get it more right than anybody else. They are wrong way more often than not, otherwise there would never be busts or guys like Brady or Arian Foster getting passed up.

They may get it wrong but the fan at home playing arm chair GM gets it wrong more than them.

Wypler only just went @ 190 to Cleveland.
They desperately needed a Centre, take away positional importance and it was maybe the most glaring need on this team, they didn’t have one on the roster. Now they’ve traded up to take the one they wanted.

Exactly. Makes sense to me to get the guys you want & try your best.

I'm not saying they got the better player, or even the better prospect. Only that they got the guy they wanted.

You'll see me criticizing Caserio a lot. I'm not at all pleased with him as a GM.

I don’t disagree with any of that. I’m just saying that just because armchair GM has a different view, it doesn’t warrant the condescending “oh, and you know better than the team” bullshit. I mean unless we’re talking about one or a couple of the trolls around here. Then by all means fire away at them.

I know the word "Juice" isn't on his birth certificate. What's his real name?

He better bring it.

I don’t disagree with any of that. I’m just saying that just because armchair GM has a different view, it doesn’t warrant the condescending “oh, and you know better than the team” bullshit. I mean unless we’re talking about one or a couple of the trolls around here. Then by all means fire away at them.
Then the armchair GM shouldn't be saying "they should be taking my guy here" bullshit. It's one thing to not like the pick but another to go on a diatribe about how the team is wrong unless you're just trolling

Wypler only just went @ 190 to Cleveland.
They desperately needed a Centre, take away positional importance and it was maybe the most glaring need on this team, they didn’t have one on the roster. Now they’ve traded up to take the one they wanted.
And another with Jarret Patterson with injury history but he protects well.

So far the theme of this draft is the Texans are going and grabbing guys theyve specifically targeted.

They arent sitting back and waiting and hoping this guy or that guy is there when they pick. They have identified guys they want and they went and got them.
Which whether right or wrong is a change for the better down on Kirby.

I was never impressed with Wypler; I just didn't want to press the matter on the board as many of you guys seem to like him.

I had stated my preference for JMS, who was off the board shortly before our pick.

I like this pick; he's going to give Deiter a run for the money.

interesting!

I believe Dieter is better than Q but comments I’ve seen suggest it’s not a significant difference. Would you consider Juice’s floor to be inline with those players? Would you consider him developmentally to have greater potential?

interesting!

I believe Dieter is better than Q but comments I’ve seen suggest it’s not a significant difference. Would you consider Juice’s floor to be inline with those players? Would you consider him developmentally to have greater potential?

Last year, Q was graded a low 36.6 by PFF, allowing 7 sacks.

In 2021, Deiter started 8 games with a grade of 60.6, allowing just 1 sack.

I was listening to one of the analysts shows about the Juice Scruggs pick. Apparently he was in a horrific car accident (thrown from the car) early in his college years. They weren’t sure if he’d ever be able to play again. He worked hard to come back and make the team, and made significant growth between his junior and senior years.

My guess is the coaching staff are hoping to build on that high growth curve and become a legitimate starter at the C position for years to come.

I was listening to one of the analysts shows about the Juice Scruggs pick. Apparently he was in a horrific car accident (thrown from the car) early in his college years. They weren’t sure if he’d ever be able to play again. He worked hard to come back and make the team, and made significant growth between his junior and senior years.

My guess is the coaching staff are hoping to build on that high growth curve and become a legitimate starter at the C position for years to come.
And chose not to have surgery but to let it heal naturally. Wore a back brace during the healing process.

I love the pick. Being a University of Michigan fan, I saw multiple games he played. Should be at worst a rotation player on the OL. But, I think he might start. He was rock solid in school and if he looks good in TC he could potentially push someone out of a starting position on the OL. Time will tell. Overall a solid pick

And chose not to have surgery but to let it heal naturally. Wore a back brace during the healing process.
I've been surprised how little attention this has received. That was the first thing that I thought about when his name was called. It was a one-car accident that occurred a week before his March 2019 . He wasn't wearing his seatbelt and was thrown out his side window. His actual fracture site was L3 (3rd lumbar vertebra). It was borderline unstable (instability is a sign for surgical stabilization). He would have been told that if he chose to repair with hardware, his football career would definitely be over. When a conservative approach is appropriate, back bracing is typically not needed beyond 3 months. The severity, type and location of the fracture ended up with him requiring a significantly longer than normal bracing.............much longer..............8 months continuouslly and then an additional 9 months intermittently while going through rehab. During that time, since prolonged standing or walking was not possible, he required a scooter to get around.

He came back during the 2020 season to play 7 games, then played 13 games each in 2021 and last season. Last year, he held his own, but did not light it up. If he can avoid seeing the later aftereffects of his lumbar fracture, he could find himself to be a good asset for the Texans. Keep in mind that his injury is likely to be accompanied by chronic pain, progressive arthritic changes and increased risk for further fracture.

I've been surprised how little attention this has received. That was the first thing that I thought about when his name was called. It was a one-car accident that occurred a week before his March 2019 . He wasn't wearing his seatbelt and was thrown out his side window. His actual fracture site was L3 (3rd lumbar vertebra). It was borderline unstable (instability is a sign for surgical stabilization). He would have been told that if he chose to repair with hardware, his football career would definitely be over. When a conservative approach is appropriate, back bracing is typically not needed beyond 3 months. The severity, type and location of the fracture ended up with him requiring a significantly longer than normal bracing.............much longer..............8 months continuouslly and then an additional 9 months intermittently while going through rehab. During that time, since prolonged standing or walking was not possible, he required a scooter to get around.

He came back during the 2020 season to play 7 games, then played 13 games each in 2021 and last season. Last year, he held his own, but did not light it up. If he can avoid seeing the later aftereffects of his lumbar fracture, he could find himself to be a good asset for the Texans. Keep in mind that his injury is likely to be accompanied by chronic pain, progressive arthritic changes and increased risk for further fracture.
What a story. He came “back” still in recovery to help coach his OL teammates. Next season starting guard, then finishing strong as Penn State starting Center (neutralizing Mazi Smith in Michigan game) his natural position. Think Texans put extra emphasis on overcoming adversity.

Last edited:
I've really turned around on this pick and I wouldn't be surprised if others have also. Looks really solid and comes across as incredibly football intelligent in interviews. Which I think is the major reason he was taken as high as he was and why outside talent evaluators and fans thought it was a reach because we don't get to do the interview process. His smarts are incredibly important in this system as he makes the protection calls plus his overall play has been really good.

I recall people saying Luke Wypler should have been the pick but after seeing how they each handled Mazi Smith it's not even close.

I think we've got a real one here.

Last year, Q was graded a low 36.6 by PFF, allowing 7 sacks.

In 2021, Deiter started 8 games with a grade of 60.6, allowing just 1 sack.
I'm not a fan of PFF, but obviously Q sucked. Best thing that ever happened to this OL was Q getting hurt.

Kinda like with the Stros, the best thing would be for Maldy to get hurt. Not that I'm wishing injury on anybody.

I'm not a fan of PFF, but obviously Q sucked. Best thing that ever happened to this OL was Q getting hurt.

Kinda like with the Stros, the best thing would be for Maldy to get hurt. Not that I'm wishing injury on anybody.
I still don't think that Q was going to be the starter. He was awful last year and clearly the coaching staff like Scruggs a lot coming into the draft. Q got hurt very early on in TC and I think would have been moved down the depth chart by now even if healthy.

I still don't think that Q was going to be the starter. He was awful last year and clearly the coaching staff like Scruggs a lot coming into the draft. Q got hurt very early on in TC and I think would have been moved down the depth chart by now even if healthy.

Agreed. Even Will Anderson was taking second team reps at this point in camp and he was the best defensive player on this team as soon as he was drafted.

Back