Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Juice Scruggs

Clean prospects so far. Thought the team would have targeted Stroud’s college teammate. A little high based on media rankings but was mentioned as a riser on team draft boards and if we know anything about this draft its that there is variance amongst the evaluations across the board. I hope he holds down the center spot and solidifies the OL!

A 6 and a 7.

giphy.gif

When you have 11 picks, likely gonna group some to get your guys. the 6th and 7th are similiar to UDFA. NC does seem a little impatient though, must have had a real delta between Wypler and Juice or he could have sweat it out. He says trades are about the players, so they must have wanted Tank/Juice over other similiar options.

Very detailed and balanced evaluation. Potential 8-10 year starter that could have been a bargain in the 4th Round (as the video hints at). Sounds like they were surprised he went so soon. Obviously his medicals must be OK. Anyway, interesting watch.

Agree 100% with the analysis that he is built to play center. He seems like a true Oline Center captain.
I'm optimistic about him. Seems like there is a lot of untapped potential there. Seems to fit the mold for an outside zone based scheme.

I also found this video and the guy seems very sharp when it comes to on field schemes and protections. I'm always impressed when Olinemen talk about other positions on a play because it means they understand the entire picture and how everyone is supposed to fit into any given play:

Scruggs comes off the board before Ohio State’s Luke Wypler after producing 67.5 and 71.5 PFF grades in each of the past two seasons. The 138th-ranked player on the PFF big board, there’s still plenty of development needed, and he is likely scheme dependent. He produced a 72.6 PFF run-blocking grade on zone plays and a 62.9 PFF grade on gap plays.
PFF

The Texans favored Scruggs highly on their draft board, and had made their intentions clear early in the evaluation process. Scruggs said he had a couple Zoom calls with newly hired Texans offensive line coach Chris Strausser. They “had a good talk,” Scruggs said, and it was the only communication he’d receive from the Texans until he received the draft call on Friday night.

“He said that he was interested,” Scruggs said of Strausser. “He liked the way I played and (said) if he has a chance, he’s going to take me. It’s just an unreal moment when you actually get that call. I’m just ready to go.”

There was a time when Scruggs didn’t know if he’d ever play football again. Back in 2019, back when he was a redshirt freshman at Penn State, he was flung from his vehicle in a spring break car accident. He suffered a fractured vertebra and a concussion. He was hospitalized for a week. Another week in his bed at home. He spent the 2019 season wearing a back brace and scootering to class, wondering if he’d ever return to the field.

“It went through my head,” Scruggs said. “At the same time, I wasn’t going to let that be the end of my career. I just knew it was going to be a long road, and I was just ready to do whatever I needed to do get back on the field again.”

Now, Scruggs is a formidable force, a lineman with a self-described “nasty” mentality.

People seem to be all over the map on this pick. I just wonder if the Texans really had to give up what they did to move up 3 spots to get him.

Denver also needed a center, I think they felt they had to jump them

I don't know. Wypler and Stromberg were both still on the board and Denver picked a WR and LB with their next 2 picks. And even if the Broncos took Scruggs, the Texans still would have been able to get one of those 2. I get that it's easy to say after the fact, and if Scruggs was their best rated of what was left then so be it. And hell, Wypler is still there. It just doesn't feel like good value there to me. No biggie though.

I feel like for OL guys especially it's such an intricate knowledge thing that you just kind of have to trust that OK they know who they wanted and who this guy is.

So far the theme of this draft is the Texans are going and grabbing guys theyve specifically targeted.

They arent sitting back and waiting and hoping this guy or that guy is there when they pick. They have identified guys they want and they went and got them.

So far the theme of this draft is the Texans are going and grabbing guys theyve specifically targeted.

They arent sitting back and waiting and hoping this guy or that guy is there when they pick. They have identified guys they want and they went and got them.

Absolutely. Going back to FA. They had specific needs they want to fill in the draft based on how FA went and they are going out and getting the guys they targeted to fill those roles.

There are now no glaring needs on the roster. Excited to see who they have as BPA the rest of the way.

Back