Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Houston Texans: Jamal Hill

Im going to stick my neck out and say i think Hill is going to get quite a few snaps.

One thing that i worry about with DB to front seven conversions is the difference in physicality. Not with ball carriers, but with blockers. Can you take on an OLineman, hold your ground, shed the block, get off and make the play? You cant be in there getting washed.

Hill does not get washed. He needs to get better at it, but for a guy who started as a corner he is better than expected. I think his long arms and wingspan help. For oregon they even played him at times as the MLB in goaline situations.

Hes got some things to work on but i like this guy a lot.

Future starter! 225 x17 strong! 2023 12 pressure 2 sacks. 33 inch vertical which helps. Only an 87.9 QBR! Slot/nickle/man press or LB. He will be on field more than maybe expected and I think he will be a gunner on kickoffs allowing those to be kept within 20. I see him eventually getting some reps at safety.
I am going out on a limb and predict he could be our best value pick in this draft.

Future starter! 225 x17 strong! 2023 12 pressure 2 sacks. 33 inch vertical which helps. Only an 87.9 QBR! Slot/nickle/man press or LB. He will be on field more than maybe expected and I think he will be a gunner on kickoffs allowing those to be kept within 20. I see him eventually getting some reps at safety.
I am going out on a limb and predict he could be our best value pick in this draft.
High praise :fans:

Jag player? Idk, looks like a solid piece for depth. From the eye test, he has some fire to his game. Highlights are real short though

The kid ran a 4.41 40 at 226lbs, thats special, his speed jumps out on film, I'd assume a ST guy from the get....I like the pick

As a rookie, I see him almost exclusively on teams and will be a key ST contributor…pending injury situations. Longer term, I see some sort of big nickel coverage LB/safety hybrid type role. He’s not cut out to be a traditional LB, but I feel good about someone that has his athletic ability, if he’s willing to work his tail off.

As a rookie, I see him almost exclusively on teams and will be a key ST contributor…pending injury situations. Longer term, I see some sort of big nickel coverage LB/safety hybrid type role. He’s not cut out to be a traditional LB, but I feel good about someone that has his athletic ability, if he’s willing to work his tail off.
Yep, will be a core ST's guy while he learns how to play LB in the NFL.

National talking heads are clueless. They have very thin grasp of anything representing the actual depth of a team's roster. I doubt any of them can name off more than 10 players on any roster without a teleprompter, yet they are experts?

National talking heads are clueless. They have very thin grasp of anything representing the actual depth of a team's roster. I doubt any of them can name off more than 10 players on any roster without a teleprompter, yet they are experts?
Yeah it really kills me when they hammer a pick with the reasoning that "they really need help at position 'x'" as if some random 6th rounder is going to be a plug and play starter at any position for you.

Jamal Hill was a Safety and only recently was tried as a LB. He's reportedly a sound tackler and can cover man to man. Any chance he'll be tried at Nickle and how effectively?

I've got no idea about Hill.
For a 6th round pick, he's got a pretty good profile at Draft Buzz, as a Safety. Coachable negatives. He can make the 53 on special teams, but as a LB, he'll only be depth in a backup role. His best opportunity to contribute as a starter may be as a big Nickle.

As things stand right now, who likely will fill the Nickle role? Who would he be up against?

For a 6th round pick, he's got a pretty good profile at Draft Buzz, as a Safety. Coachable negatives. He can make the 53 on special teams, but as a LB, he'll only be depth in a backup role. His best opportunity to contribute as a starter may be as a big Nickle.

As things stand right now, who likely will fill the Nickle role? Who would he be up against?
Nickle looks like it could be Lassiter, Bryant, or King.

There are several options though and I really want Lassiter to be given a proper chance at winning the outside job.

Nickle looks like it could be Lassiter, Bryant, or King.

There are several options though and I really want Lassiter to be given a proper chance at winning the outside job.
I get this, but I think you're really underrating Okudah as a player. When healthy he's really pretty good.

I saw a Youtube video about how Caserio went into the draft trying to find players that fit a specific niche, with further all-around development being left to the coaches (I can't seem to find a link to it atm.) It mentioned that Calen Bullock could allow for more of a 3 coverage look as a ball-hawking safety (once he develops) for example.

As I thought about Jamal Hill, I think the one area that he brings right now is to play the QB spy. Against the Ravens in the playoffs Christian Harris took that role most of the time, but adding in a LB (former S) who runs a 4.4 40 could upgrade that specific niche against running QBs.

I saw a Youtube video about how Caserio went into the draft trying to find players that fit a specific niche, with further all-around development being left to the coaches (I can't seem to find a link to it atm.) It mentioned that Calen Bullock could allow for more of a 3 coverage look as a ball-hawking safety (once he develops) for example.

As I thought about Jamal Hill, I think the one area that he brings right now is to play the QB spy. Against the Ravens in the playoffs Christian Harris took that role most of the time, but adding in a LB (former S) who runs a 4.4 40 could upgrade that specific niche against running QBs.
Agree. Harris ran a 4.40 forty

Completely forgot about this guy. For once I might sit through an entire preseason game…well most of one. Will be my luck (bad) that Texans games will be blacked out again in San Antonio, however.
SA really needs to embrace the Texans more...hate when they dont air our games...really is sad that its heavy cowgirl country.

Jamal will likely be a special teamer this season for sure.

After that I really hope he can develop into a Demeco LB.

One thing I really noticed about Demeco LBs and LBs in general is year one they're often quite terrible to be blunt. I looked at some of the 49ers Lb corps and even our own Harris and To'oTo'o and they all had rough rookie years. Which means I won't be expecting much from Hill this season but it's given me a little more optimism about To'oTo'o who I really want to like but who I was not at all impressed with last year.

Unfortunately, I think we will never have a chance to see my prediction come true, however I think Jamal would be an excellent safety if allowed to focus on that position. He is a step too slow off the line to play cornerback although he did that fairly well at Oregon. His stats were not good because quarterbacks chose not to target him. I think it was a mistake that he was moved to linebacker. My hope Is Demico will agree and give him some training his rookie year. I actually think that he could start in 2025. His pro day 40 speed was 4.
41 which would have been second at the combine among safeties and number one iirc of linebackers. He needs to focus on one position but I think Ryan's has him marked down as a lineback
er.

Unfortunately, I think we will never have a chance to see my prediction come true, however I think Jamal would be an excellent safety if allowed to focus on that position. He is a step too slow off the line to play cornerback although he did that fairly well at Oregon. His stats were not good because quarterbacks chose not to target him. I think it was a mistake that he was moved to linebacker. My hope Is Demico will agree and give him some training his rookie year. I actually think that he could start in 2025. His pro day 40 speed was 4.
41 which would have been second at the combine among safeties and number one iirc of linebackers. He needs to focus on one position but I think Ryan's has him marked down as a lineback
er.
I have absolutely no problem with a LB who can stay on the field in a Safety role, or a LB who can cover TE/slot receiver. I think the Safety/LB tweener is a position that should be further developed for todays NFL.

I have absolutely no problem with a LB who can stay on the field in a Safety role, or a LB who can cover TE/slot receiver. I think the Safety/LB tweener is a position that should be further developed for todays NFL.
I agree. I'm just not certain that Jamal Hill can cover tight ends physically.

It seems to be the type Demeco goes for and develops.

Disagree. That is like saying a cornerback isn't very good if he can't stop the run.
What are you talking about? A safety is supposed to be able to cover TEs. Especially the strong safety who is more likely to be a tweeter.

What are you talking about? A safety is supposed to be able to cover TEs. Especially the strong safety who is more likely to be a tweeter.
He can handle most RBs and some TEs but not the big boys. Hill would be a WRs and smaller backs opponent.
Although we have seen lighter type safeties as you mentioned get defeated by tight ends. I would have Hill at the free safety if we truly utilize that position. That is why I don't think Ryan will play him there.
Edited

Not always. Safety is such a multifaceted position at this point with so many different types. Even saying strong or free doesn't really cover it at this point.

There's even top safeties like Budda Baker who aren't really coverage guys.

Maybe not as a rookie, but maybe as a 2nd yr player.

In the meantime he can become a ST's Demon.
Given that he's only recently an LB convert and previous history with Demeco LBs (they all seem to take at least a year to develop) I'm mentally giving him somewhat of a two year development grace period.

I do expect him to be a ST guy out the gate as well though. We've actually done a really good job of picking up a bunch of ST ace's this offseason like Skowronek, Ford, Phillips, etc. so it will be interesting to see who amongst them makes the team.

He can handle most RBs and some TEs but not the big boys. Hill would be a WRs and smaller backs opponent.
Although we have seen lighter type safeties as you mentioned get defeated by tight ends. I would have Hill at the free safety if we truly utilize that position. That is why I don't think Ryan will play him there.
Edited
Not too many Strong safeties or linebackers can guard the Kelce type tight ends.

Edited
I wouldn't think a Free Safty would convert to LB. Sounds like a kid who ate himself out of a job. A Strong side guy, like Pitre getting too heavy, I can see moving him to LB.

Not too many CBs can guard Kelce type TEs.

Not too many CBs can guard Kelce type TEs.
those types are mismatches for most defenders generally too big for safeties/CB and too athletic for Lbers

as for the general discussion on Hill teams usually move speed down and inside...better to have a fast and a little light LBer than a big and average speed/quickness safety

those types are mismatches for most defenders generally too big for safeties/CB and too athletic for Lbers

as for the general discussion on Hill teams usually move speed down and inside...better to have a fast and a little light LBer than a big and average speed/quickness safety
According to Hill it was suggested he try a different position and he added weight w/o losing any of his speed which was a concern of his, but now he's stronger, thicker, and still just as fast as he was at a lighter weight.
It will be interesting to see how he does in training camp and pre season

Back