Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Jalen Pitre

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Would say safety with his flexibility, intelligence and raw athletic ability one of the most coveted positions in this past draft. After Dax Hill he was considered borderline 1st rounder. Everything as advertised. His teammate @ Baylor, JT Woods is a project. While he has the speed and intelligence he lacks NFL core strength to be effective tackler, so then he is limited to back end deep safety.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Would say safety with his flexibility, intelligence and raw athletic ability one of the most coveted positions in this past draft. After Dax Hill he was considered borderline 1st rounder. Everything as advertised. His teammate @ Baylor, JT Woods is a project. While he has the speed and intelligence he lacks NFL core strength to be effective tackler, so then he is limited to back end deep safety.
Which Woods is very good at. Pitire is a foundational type player.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Which Woods is very good at. Pitire is a foundational type player.
Pitre was worth a first-round pick. Any time you draft a player and he is plug and play immediately, that's a win. Texans pulled 4 this past draft 2022. Could have possibly been 5 (Metchie) but will have to wait until next season. Would argue case for Damien Pierce.........he will be starting so that qualifies as #4. Christian Harris could come back and start #6 tba...... can't wait for the next draft, without hoping for a Texans tank job.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Pitre was worth a first-round pick. Any time you draft a player and he is plug and play immediately, that's a win. Texans pulled 4 this past draft 2022. Could have possibly been 5 (Metchie) but will have to wait until next season. Would argue case for Damien Pierce.........he will be starting so that qualifies as #4. Christian Harris could come back and start #6 tba...... can't wait for the next draft, without hoping for a Texans tank job.
Yeah, that's my philosophy. You don't have to tank to find great players, you just have to draft well. Let's hope it works out and that Caserio is a guy who drafts well.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Pitre, Stingley and Greene could start for any team, including the Rams.
Eventually, sure. But the Rams, or any playoff team, aren't pulling vet starters on day one. Especially guys not 100% like Stingley and Green. Have some perspective.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Yeah, that's my philosophy. You don't have to tank to find great players
If your team is as void of talent as the Texans, it's a lot easier, and quicker, if you do tank. And it's not like this team has a choice. Little talent from the previous regime's drafts and no cap space to get quality, game changing FAs. Are the Texans tanking, or just don't have the players to compete? What difference does it make?

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Eventually, sure. But the Rams, or any playoff team, aren't pulling vet starters on day one. Especially guys not 100% like Stingley and Green. Have some perspective.
Greene could play either OG position, beat Shelton RG or Edwards LG. They would have luxury of taking it easy on Stingley, but Stingley is dying to play after sitting out essentially two years, he could beat out David Long for that LCB position fairly easily. As for Petrie, FS or SG better than Jordan Fuller or Nick Scott. Your choice. Hell even throw in Damien Pierce to that rb rotation, probably not named starter beginning of season, but Cam Akers has injury history, just saying. And that is perspective 😎

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
If your team is as void of talent as the Texans, it's a lot easier, and quicker, if you do tank. And it's not like this team has a choice. Little talent from the previous regime's drafts and no cap space to get quality, game changing FAs. Are the Texans tanking, or just don't have the players to compete? What difference does it make?
I don't think there'll be any tanking with Lovie in charge. The part about the Texans not having the players to compete is the problem.

And no, either way it doesn't make any difference. We're on our 3rd head coach in as many years, this team needs stability as much as anything right now.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
All because you don’t have playoffs aspirations for this team doesn’t mean that’s not a goal for them. Lovie said several times already that they just watched a team go to the Super Bowl, after going 4-12 the previous year.
Absolutely zero people outside that team had the Bengals going to the playoffs. Much less the Super Bowl.

But the Bengals showed once again why the games are played instead of just talked about hypothetically amongst fans and pundits.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Lovie said several times already that they just watched a team go to the Super Bowl, after going 4-12 the previous year.
All 4 win teams aren't equal. The Bengals didn't just get the players that went to the Super Bowl. That was years of drafting, drafting high in the draft. Years of development. 15 of the Bengals 22 starters in 2021 were 27 and younger. The FA starters they signed on defense were all age 27 or younger (including DJ Reader) and ready to make an impact while the team grows.

On the other hand, we have the Texans. The Texans have 2 starters drafted prior to 2021. They have 3 reserves that were drafter prior to 2021, but we expect 2 to be cut (Scharping and Blacklock). The Texans can't afford the mid level FAs the Bengals signed like Hendrikson ($15 mil AAV) and Reader ($12 mil AAV). The Texans projected roster has 9 age 30+ players (not including the long snapper).

You want to compare the Texans to the 2021 Bengals? Then wait until they start acting like the 2021 Bengals. Keep your draft choices and use them wisely. Stop signing 30 year old players, expecting them to play as if they're 27. Stop wasting salary cap. The 2022 Texans look nothing like the 2021 Bengals. They were not overnight sensations and the Texans certainly won't be.

Texansballer74

The Marine
All 4 win teams aren't equal. The Bengals didn't just get the players that went to the Super Bowl. That was years of drafting, drafting high in the draft. Years of development. 15 of the Bengals 22 starters in 2021 were 27 and younger. The FA starters they signed on defense were all age 27 or younger (including DJ Reader) and ready to make an impact while the team grows.

On the other hand, we have the Texans. The Texans have 2 starters drafted prior to 2021. They have 3 reserves that were drafter prior to 2021, but we expect 2 to be cut (Scharping and Blacklock). The Texans can't afford the mid level FAs the Bengals signed like Hendrikson ($15 mil AAV) and Reader ($12 mil AAV). The Texans projected roster has 9 age 30+ players (not including the long snapper).

You want to compare the Texans to the 2021 Bengals? Then wait until they start acting like the 2021 Bengals. Keep your draft choices and use them wisely. Stop signing 30 year old players, expecting them to play as if they're 27. Stop wasting salary cap. The 2022 Texans look nothing like the 2021 Bengals. They were not overnight sensations and the Texans certainly won't be.
Nobody and I mean nobody thought the Bengals would make the playoffs let alone make it to the Super Bowl. Yes it finally paid off but the point is we do not know how this season will unfold. And you can not say they don’t have aspirations to making the playoffs. Every teams goal going into the season is to make the playoffs and having a shot to win it all. Not only that it doesn’t always take a long time to rebuild.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Nobody and I mean nobody thought the Bengals would make the playoffs let alone make it to the Super Bowl. Yes it finally paid off but the point is we do not know how this season will unfold. And you can not say they don’t have aspirations to making the playoffs. Every teams goal going into the season is to make the playoffs and having a shot to win it all. Not only that it doesn’t always take a long time to rebuild.
Time to see how big the fight is in the dawg

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
a pretty good looking draft to me.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
the point is we do not know how this season will unfold.
If I gave two scenarios, 1) the Texan finish with one of the 5 worst records in the league or, 2) the Texans make the playoffs, which one would you believe in the most? Not what you want to believe. Which one would be more accurate?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If I gave two scenarios, 1) the Texan finish with one of the 5 worst records in the league or, 2) the Texans make the playoffs, which one would you believe in the most? Not what you want to believe. Which one would be more accurate?
Normally by now I'd have a decent feel about how much dysfunction there is in the league. But this preseason I just don't know.

I want to see what the other teams look like weeks 1 & 2, especially the Colts & Titans before I make that prediction.

As far as just looking at the Texans I see a 6 win team, which to me means anything from 4 to 8 wins.

Texansballer74

The Marine
We don’t know because the season haven’t started yet. We should have a clear cut understand after week 9 on what type of team we have.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
We don’t know because the season haven’t started yet. We should have a clear cut understand after week 9 on what type of team we have.
"We" is you. I have an opinion, now. I don't need to wait until week 9 to state it.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Honestly for me its a bit of a toss up as I can see either one happening. Its not just how bad or good the Texans are but also the Dolts, Tits and Drags and I haven't seen any of them light the world on fire either. The Jags are the Jags and they may get better true but they also just had two years of 1:1 draft picks in a row. The Titans, we seem to make a habit out of pissing in their cornflakes and as for the Colts they are so hot and cold season to season that who knows what they will look like. So given the way that the NFL structured in that there must be a team in the playoffs from the AFCS I can possibly see it. Now if you ask me if we have any business being there or any prayer of success that's a different story.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Sure, but some of that was because they were drafted by the least talented team in the league that doesn't have playoff aspirations.
Meant to post days ago but got busy with work. Heard this on Sirus/XM NFL Channel that on average for past 20 years less than 5% of drafted players start as rookies. Texans start 4 the average is under 3. I get your point about least talented roster comment but 3 of those could start for any team including example given of Rams. RB is a tough one because its usually by committee however, if Pierce stays healthy, Lovies offense will run through him and Cooks, therefore reflecting NFL starting caliber RB, that's four. Unfortunate injury and illness befell Methchie and Harris otherwise it could be 6. Tough call to take those two players and say per fact they would crack Rams starting roster so I won't. Its just damn nice to have some high picks for a change and put them to good use, slightly above league average.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Meant to post days ago but got busy with work. Heard this on Sirus/XM NFL Channel that on average for past 20 years less than 5% of drafted players start as rookies. Texans start 4 the average is under 3. I get your point about least talented roster comment but 3 of those could start for any team including example given of Rams. RB is a tough one because its usually by committee however, if Pierce stays healthy, Lovies offense will run through him and Cooks, therefore reflecting NFL starting caliber RB, that's four. Unfortunate injury and illness befell Methchie and Harris otherwise it could be 6. Tough call to take those two players and say per fact they would crack Rams starting roster so I won't. Its just damn nice to have some high picks for a change and put them to good use, slightly above league average.
Slightly above league avg, with an above avg chance to be a lot more.

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO

I agree with thought. It took a very long time and much suffering as a fan to get to last year. We have an owner that finally started giving power (roster decisions, contracts, etc.) to someone other than himself. We brought in a new coach, who was not able to properly hire a competent coaching staff his first year and most thought was going to flop. For the first time in the team's history, they actually went out in free agency and paid above average players to come to the team. Then you have to consider what part "Luck" played a part. They actually stayed put and took Burrow #1 overall, despite all of the offers which were pouring in. Then Burrow goes down with a horrific knee injury and they end up sucking again. This put them in the position to draft Chase, and they did just that, despite everyone telling them to protect Burrow in the drafting of Sewell. THEN, they happen to have one of the healthiest seasons in their entire existence last year. Far from "overnight" and very lucky, fortunate or whatever someone wants to label it. That's exactly why 2022 will be such a challenge for them to get back to the Super Bowl, despite me feeling they will.

The Texans in 2022 ?? No, you don't need time to have an opinion that they are probably going to suck more than not. Now that opinion may be proven wrong, but I would find it hard to believe even the most homerish of fans look at the Texans roster and think they are competing for a Super Bowl, let alone the playoffs. I wish it wasn't that way and hope to be proven wrong very much, but nonetheless, here we are.

The "Hope and Pray" method sucks by the way. The Bengals have been utilizing that approach forever.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You know i didnt watch this kid at all in college & he wasnt on my radar for the texans to draft early…just b/c i didnt think they should draft a safety until later. but when we did draft him, i naturally went and looked at some highlight stuff….and man, Hes one of the few players that i can say popped immediately when i watch him on tape for the 1st time. he’s a certified dog…instinctive like polamalu & berry but closer to honey badger in size.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Pitre at 4:

im all for the rookie getting his flowers…but him at 4…….along with the other 2 guys just before him ……ahead of Minkah Fitzpatrick at 5? The nfl website is fishing for clicks and are trolling with this list. Fitzpatrick is an all-pro. Dobt care what criteria they used Anyone not names Derwin James being ahead of him is absurd.

Doc108

Waterboy
Been happy with him. He hasn’t been perfect in the pass game but pretty good I’d say.

Biggest knocks would be there’s 1-2 plays every week where he’s out of position in the run game and we’ve seen some missed tackles.

But for every missed tackle there’s a play where he comes up and stuffs a run at the LOS so a lot to be happy about