Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Jalen Pitre

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Do you think Eric Murray and Vernon Hargreaves are on par… supposedly?
I had to google Eric Murray, didn't even know he played for us. LOL

This guy seems like a day one starter on the Texans, because our defensive backfield just wasn't that good. Whether or not he's any better than what we already got, we'll have to see. The potential is certainly there from what I've read about him.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
There are few rookies I would consider an “instant leader”. But Pitre is one of them. He is a high iq lead by example versatile stud. Texans have honey badger 2.0

This secondary got a lot more athletic and the playmaking ability has improved!

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Really like the player, just not in love with the likelihood of counting on 2 rookies to start in the same secondary.

That said contending for much of anything really isn't much on the table for 2022 so may the growing pains be swift and the DB's be legit.
lol

Super Bowl!

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Pitre is a solid, solid pick. Plays a hot position, that hybrid safety/cb your going to pay up for that alone.

Terrific instincts, quick. I’ve been wanting one of these elite safeties for years for the Texans, so guess it does pay to suck and come out other side with absolute gem.

:koolaid:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I don't see him being able to play in space as a safety. I see him mostly as a box player in the NFL. He started off as a LB. In high school, he suffered a Grade II MCL which limited his college recruitment. In 2018, he dealt with recurrent shoulder subluxation/dislocation which by early in the 2019 season, due to his shoulder instability, the decision was made to redshirt him. He required shoulder labrum repair. He has done well since. But my concern is his size going against the larger players in the NFL. He is going to need to increase his weight and muscle and strength in order to continue to do the things that he has been known for in college.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I don't see him being able to play in space as a safety. I see him mostly as a box player in the NFL. He started off as a LB. In high school, he suffered a Grade II MCL which limited his college recruitment. In 2018, he dealt with recurrent shoulder subluxation/dislocation which by early in the 2019 season, due to his shoulder instability, the decision was made to redshirt him. He required shoulder labrum repair. He has done well since. But my concern is his size going against the larger players in the NFL. He is going to need to increase his weight and muscle and strength in order to continue to do the things that he has been known for in college.
You should really be on the Texan payroll 👍

Really like the player, just not in love with the likelihood of counting on 2 rookies to start in the same secondary.

That said contending for much of anything really isn't much on the table for 2022 so may the growing pains be swift and the DB's be legit.
Not like we are competing next year. I'm guessing the Texans might stagger the field so they don't have a rook safety covering over a rook DB, but either way if the Texans go "trail by fire" like the Rockets did with their young core in a rebuild it wouldn't be the worse thing to do.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Not like we are competing next year. I'm guessing the Texans might stagger the field so they don't have a rook safety covering over a rook DB, but either way if the Texans go "trail by fire" like the Rockets did with their young core in a rebuild it wouldn't be the worse thing to do.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Not like I didn't say as much..

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Every player in the secondary is going against bigger player unless he's an old school Atwater type of safety.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I do like the speed Lovie added to his secondary in Stingley and Pitre. These guys can flat move. Now the clay is in Lovie’s hands…..looking forward to see how he’s going to mold and use the two of them.

I’d really like to see the team add DE- Cameron Thomas in RD3. Thomas and Greenard would be a nice pair of ends to help improve the heat on QB’s.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I like Pitres cover skills more than Mathieu...

Lots of people hat Tyrann as a corner coming out, but I didn't think there was any way in hell he could be an NFL corner and he had safety written all over him.

I think Pitre is a more fluid athlete with better coverage skills...
Agreed. Pitre looked really good in coverage senior bowl week. If he wasn’t so versatile he may have been a first round pick (as odd as that sounds) playing CB exclusively.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I hope he becomes a great safety. Seems like given all the needs this team has slot corner isn’t a need.

He and Stingley hopefully give us some real quality at DB.

I’m a little concerned they haven’t found a pass rusher in the draft or FA. Unless we get lucky on day 3.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I hope he becomes a great safety. Seems like given all the needs this team has slot corner isn’t a need.

He and Stingley hopefully give us some real quality at DB.

I’m a little concerned they haven’t found a pass rusher in the draft or FA. Unless we get lucky on day 3.
They added Ogbonnio Okoronkwo to fill Jacob Martin’s role in free agency. I really liked him coming out of the draft but injuries and imo poor scheme fit have limited him as a pro. If healthy being designated pass rusher in a 4-3 is his best fit.

I suspect they will add another edge in the draft. And they still might add Rasheem Green in free agency. But pass rush will definitely be improved this year because the athleticism and talent has been upgraded tremendously with the defensive selections so far.

Texansballer74

The Marine
They added Ogbonnio Okoronkwo to fill Jacob Martin’s role in free agency. I really liked him coming out of the draft but injuries and imo poor scheme fit have limited him as a pro. If healthy being designated pass rusher in a 4-3 is his best fit.

I suspect they will add another edge in the draft. And they still might add Rasheem Green in free agency. But pass rush will definitely be improved this year because the athleticism and talent has been upgraded tremendously with the defensive selections so far.
I think this was the reason why we haven’t drafted a RB as of yet. Picking up Marlon Mack in FA pretty much lesson the need for one in the draft.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
So pretty much par for the course for 95% of all collegiate players stepping up to the NFL...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Yep

Outstanding speed has been added to the CB/LB room. The defense will be much faster next yr. I'm kinda hoping Caserio adds Woolen or McCollum. Then goes all in on offense. Although Salyer or Kolar would make me very happy.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
If he can return back to form, we got ourselves a back. Big if though
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I don't think the odds are in our favor on that bet. If we're going to be a running focused team, then we need more than a big if and a random collection of guys in the RB room.

OTOH, we also need better line play. So...

Reactions: JB

mussop

Hall of Fame
True. That's why those safeties seem to have shoulder problems. Everytime i did a sim, Pitre was there and I drafted him. He's kinda like Honey Badger
That’s funny. Every time I did a mock draft PFF sim Pitre was the highest rated player available at 37 and I took him every time. Can’t remember ever being more excited about a pick. my dream scenario was trading down in the first and getting Dax hill and Pitre.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
That’s funny. Every time I did a mock draft PFF sim Pitre was the highest rated player available at 37 and I took him every time. Can’t remember ever being more excited about a pick. my dream scenario was trading down in the first and getting Dax hill and Pitre.
Yeah, me, too. It seems like every mock PFN or PFF draft sim I did, I ended up getting Pitre.