Support and keep Texans Talk going. Make a donation here.

Welcome to Houston David Culley, Head Coach

hot pickle

Canada Eh
Logged on after god knows how many years to lament how far this team has fallen. God we suck.

I guess I can wait to be pleasantly surprised but this feels like a dark age for Houston sports. Least the Ags don't suck
looks like I’m not the only one. Sheesh.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

Well, surprisingly Florio doesn't blame Easterby

The Texans are working toward a deal that will make David Culley their next head coach, according to multiple reports.

Culley remains in Houston after a long day of interviews. Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier was the only other candidate who got a second interview with Texans General Manager Nick Caserio and team chairman Cal McNair.

Culley, 65, is a surprise hire to most, but he will become the second minority coach to get a head coaching job this cycle, the first Black coach. The Jets hired Robert Saleh.

The fact that Culley blew away the Texans in his virtual and in-person interviews is not a surprise to all who know him. He served as the assistant head coach for Andy Reid and for John Harbaugh and worked for Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh.

Culley currently is the Ravens’ assistant head coach/passing game coordinator and receivers coach and received a strong endorsement from Harbaugh.

Culley has never served as a coordinator in his 27-year coaching career, which makes him “an outside-the-box” choice as John McClain of the Houston Chronicle put it.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
And I'll tell you one thing further. I hope Culley comes in and works to establish a proper culture and attitude, and I hope that he makes strides and builds the foundation. And since he's already 65, I can easily envision them setting McCown to take over for him in the future once he decides to retire.

Hookem Horns

Texan in Tampa Bay
Staff member
That wasn't his 1st coaching job. It took him awhile, but he Coached Arizona 1st
Yeah, I loved the hire of Arians. He’s actually pretty funny too. My comment was solely based on age. Arians is only going to be around 2, 3 maybe 4 years. It obviously worked out here as I was not expecting a Super Bowl trip in his second year. He’s says no but if we win he might retire. If that happens it still paid off.

The Texans aren’t 2 years away but you guys probably know better than me. My point is I wouldn’t want to start a rebuild with a 65 year old coach. Most coaches are given 5 years and he’ll be 70 then. However, he might be vegan and that won’t be an issue. :)