Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Dameon Pierce

With Pierce and Robinson in our backfield, we would suddenly have a new identity - a run first team and a fearsome one at that. It would take a whole bunch of pressure off any QB and open up his passing game. It would take top tier defenses to tame our run game and even then they aren't going to stop it entirely.
There is nothing sweeter than watching your team run it down an opponents throat and they are powerless to stop it. Pound 'em into the dirt.
IMHO, I think Ryans would be all about that. Having those two backs would force every defense to have to honor the run game for 3 downs. 3 years to decide which one you keep is an added bonus. Running to establish the passing game is exactly what got the Eagles to the Super Bowl and I prefer actual RBs over running QBs any day.

Having both of those guys on rookie contracts would be awesome. It might make for a difficult decision in a few years, but that's a good problem to have. Not sure what you mean by different direction/philosophy though. Both backs would be ideal in a ZBS offense.
It's going to be interesting to see Texans schemes going forward - this team is going to be very different and I predict very competitive.
One thing about having a pound and ground rushing attack is it not only helps the QB, but the Oline as well. Not being forced to throw helps out lesser QB's.
Speaking more specifically to the zbs, they often employ a fullback - a role that BR could fulfill as he is a decent blocker as well.

I would love to have him, but I doubt we take him. It's a different direction and philosophy to where I think Texans go.
We would have one of the best rushing attacks in the league.
We can still get some good ones lower down.
Achane, Gibbs, Charbonnet and Spears (and others) also have nice potential.
Interesting, can you expound on why Bijan would be a different direction/philosophy as from my understanding he 100% fits their direction of pounding the ball and using RB as safety dumps for QB. Thanks.

Interesting, can you expound on why Bijan would be a different direction/philosophy as from my understanding he 100% fits their direction of pounding the ball and using RB as safety dumps for QB. Thanks.
Previously, I thought Texans ran a Earnhardt/Perkins style offense, but that is not to say any team doesn't value a good ground attack, just that it relies heavily on a good passing game.

Bijan is clearly the best but other day two runners are very similar.

Man, I’m really liking RB- Zach Charbonnet (UCLA) as a true change of pace compliment to RB- Dameon Pierce. Charbonnet (6-1 @ 220 lbs), like Pierce (5-10 @ 218 lbs) is a physical runner who can get through arm tackles while delivering punishment to would be tacklers. He’s a strong downhill runner who has decent hands as a receiver. Charbonnet may be one of the more complete backs in the draft since he’s willing to pickup blitzes and deliver a solid punch on defenders. His blocking could use a little improvement, but he’s already on the right path.

I’d have zero issues with adding RB- Sean Tucker (Syracuse / 5-10 @ 205 lbs) later in the draft. Tucker is an interesting RB that’s a former champion in the 55, 100, and 200 meters. I’m very curious to see what this former track star may run at the Combine. He put up pretty good numbers at Syracuse as both a runner and decent receiver out of the backfield.

Ryans wants to emphasize the running game…..adding Charbonnet and Tucker to the backfield would certainly take a load off Pierce

Last edited:
Man, I’m really liking RB- Zach Charbonnet (UCLA) as a true change of pace compliment to RB- Dameon Pierce. Charbonnet (6-1 @ 220 lbs), like Pierce (5-10 @ 218 lbs) is a physical runner who can get through arm tackles while delivering punishment to would be tacklers. He’s a strong downhill runner who has decent hands as a receiver. Charbonnet may be one of the more complete backs in the draft since he’s willing to pickup blitzes and deliver a solid punch on defenders. His blocking could use a little improvement, but he’s already on the right path.

I’d have zero issues with adding RB- Sean Tucker (Syracuse / 5-10 @ 205 lbs) later in the draft. Tucker is an interesting RB that’s a former champion in the 55, 100, and 200 meters. I’m very curious to see what this former track star may run at the Combine. He put up pretty good numbers at Syracuse as both a runner and decent receiver out of the backfield.

Ryans wants to emphasize the running game…..adding Charbonnet and Tucker to the backfield would certainly take a load off Pierce
I like pairing Pierce with a burner and 3rd down back like Tucker or Achane. Need some free big plays and these guys can take it to the house, thunder and lightning

I like pairing Pierce with a burner and 3rd down back like Tucker or Achane. Need some free big plays and these guys can take it to the house, thunder and lightning
The problem with that is that you're telegraphing you play calls with whichever back is in the game. I'd prefer Robinson, from Texas, even at 1.12. That dude can be a hall of fame player and you have no idea what the play call will be. Both can run the rock or catch it out of the backfield.
Pierce and Robinson would be the best backfield in the NFL and really open up the passing game. The Texans offense would never see dime coverage outside of 3rd and very long. Nickel coverage wouldn't stand much of a chance, either. A WCO/ZBS offense would be almost unstoppable with those two, if the Texans can add a top C and RG between FA and the draft. If the Texans drafted a QB like Richardson, then the Texans would have a new version of the Triplets and put a ton of pressure on defenses.

The problem with that is that you're telegraphing you play calls with whichever back is in the game. I'd prefer Robinson, from Texas, even at 1.12. That dude can be a hall of fame player and you have no idea what the play call will be. Both can run the rock or catch it out of the backfield.
Pierce and Robinson would be the best backfield in the NFL and really open up the passing game. The Texans offense would never see dime coverage outside of 3rd and very long. Nickel coverage wouldn't stand much of a chance, either. A WCO/ZBS offense would be almost unstoppable with those two, if the Texans can add a top C and RG between FA and the draft. If the Texans drafted a QB like Richardson, then the Texans would have a new version of the Triplets and put a ton of pressure on defenses.
I have said I think Bijan may be the best player in the draft, him and Mayer most likely the can't miss guys. RB's don't always last, and can get a good not great version of some of these guys lower and with our holes, feels like Bijan at 12 is a luxury. I would not be disappointed though as he is a stud. Really depends on the offensive philosophy we run. Achane would not telegraph as much as he has proven he can take a real load and not just run outside

I didn't realize Tucker had this kind of speed. How are his hands? I haven't checked him out since he went to Syracuse, I will do a deeper dive into him. What is your opinion of him and how are his hands/blocking skills. You know that I think Charbonnet is the 2nd best all around RB in the draft. Somebody's going to get a steal in the late 2nd/early 3rd.

I didn't realize Tucker had this kind of speed. How are his hands? I haven't checked him out since he went to Syracuse, I will do a deeper dive into him. What is your opinion of him and how are his hands/blocking skills. You know that I think Charbonnet is the 2nd best all around RB in the draft. Somebody's going to get a steal in the late 2nd/early 3rd.

I posted a highlight video of Sean Tucker. His cut-n-go really has some remnants of Tony Dorsett. His hands looked nice, and he appears to be a strong runner after the catch. He’s going to need work on his blocking, as this may be his biggest weakness. If he has no fear and a willingness to pick up the nuances of blocking….he could become effective at that as well.

I still believe Charbonnet is the most complete RB in the draft. He can do it all and has the NFL size to make his impact felt from Day 1.

Texans may truly be set in the backfield if they had Pierce, Charbonnet, and Tucker on the roster.

Back