Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston CJ Stroud

michaelm

vox nihili
Stroud might be the most accurate passer to ever put on a Texans uniform.
I've been critical of his performance under pressure, but hopefully he can develop in that area. From everything I've seen, he should be extremely coachable.
If he can be even average under pressure, we might have a franchise QB on our hands.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I hate starting DeMeco's clock with a QB without a team surrounding him to make his job easier, but, they must have faith.
He’s got an all pro LT, a top 10 TE and a RB that would have gone over 1000 yards and won offensive rookie of the year had he not gotten hurt. This isn’t the David Carr expansion Texans. Stroud has pieces to work with (and will add more throughout this draft).

Welcome to the H... blast off & ride or die... OoooOuu-weee!
Hope you and Anderson are a duo synonymous in Houston sports history that can be discussed in the same conversations as can Bagwell+Biggio / Altuve+Springer, Watt+Johnson, Olajuwon+Drexler or Thorpe.
Learn our hospitality/culture, dont succumb to the traps & enjoy the ride!

zshawn10

All Pro
https://theathletic.com/4459451/2023/04/27/nfl-draft-picks-grades-round-1/

2. Houston Texans: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

The Texans ranked last in yards per play and 31st in total offense last season. Houston needed a quarterback, and after significant posturing and speculation, the Texans did the smartest thing possible: they drafted a quarterback and it was the right one.

Much was made about C.J. Stroud’s lack of running ability, but that’s somewhat overrated because he could do far more damage through the air. Stroud posted national highs in touchdowns (41) and yards per attempt (9.5) while completing 66.3 percent of his throws. At Ohio State, Stroud (6-3, 214) was surrounded by some of the best receivers in college football history, and he let them make plays.

Stroud has great touch, and the Texans now can build around him. Though the Houston brass might have preferred a defender for defensive-minded head coach DeMeco Ryans, drafting Stroud is a step in the right direction. And they didn’t wait to get defensive help, either.

Grade: B+

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
He’s got an all pro LT, a top 10 TE and a RB that would have gone over 1000 yards and won offensive rookie of the year had he not gotten hurt. This isn’t the David Carr expansion Texans. Stroud has pieces to work with (and will add more throughout this draft).
I'm also expecting Singletary to be all over the field this season. R Woods will probably be mostly blocking, tons of TEs still in the draft, and lots of options for discount WRs. The offense has already improved by virtue of the scheme change. If Stroud plays poorly, then it won't be because of who is around him.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am hoping for the CJ versus Georgia but last time I hoped for a QB to start a season as he ended the previous year was.. Davis Mills.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
From the highlights I've seen...

He doesn't ZIP and overpower throws. Maybe he doesn't have to? Great touch and arc on his passes hitting 2nd and 3rd levels over defenders. Extremely accurate and in rhythm so he doesn't have to "gun" his passes.

I DO realize what I've seen is highlights. His stats indicate he has trouble with pressure and that's troubling. He'll need to master the offense and weekly game plans to compensate.

Ie, he'll need to pass Sunday tests.

Texans need to get a legit center to minimize dl penatration.

Slowik, do some Purdy magic.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
From the highlights I've seen...

He doesn't ZIP and overpower throws. Maybe he doesn't have to? Great touch and arc on his passes hitting 2nd and 3rd levels over defenders. Extremely accurate and in rhythm so he doesn't have to "gun" his passes.

I DO realize what I've seen is highlights. His stats indicate he has trouble with pressure and that's troubling. He'll need to master the offense and weekly game plans to compensate.

Ie, he'll need to pass Sunday tests.

Texans need to get a legit center to minimize dl penatration.

Slowik, do some Purdy magic.
Maybe it was Slowik who wanted Stroud and DeMeco certainly wanted Anderson. Awesome it got done as it did.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I'm happy with this evening's haul so I'm scared to say this, but...

I think cj's ceiling is a top 8-12 qb in the league. He's the kinda guy who can get you to the playoffs, but he'll need a superior cast and coaching staff to do more.