Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston CJ Stroud

No one ever said it was a QB only issue .... All I did was give you a statistic.

You ran with it out into left field.

Absolutely No Texans fan is "against CJ".

He's our QB and we're stuck with him for better or worse - hopefully for better.

Why the unlike TB

I think this is a very fair post.

We all hope for the better.

No he was not. Nobody was on here dropping what Corrosion just posted. Exactly no one was posting this split stuff either. Especially those that are against CJ. Those are the same people doing the exact thing they did with D-Clown4.

I thought we spent all of last season and off season talking about Mills? I could be wrong?

BTW, look at Derrick now, maybe he wasn't good to begin with and BOB did a great job getting the best that he could out of that pervert?

Mills was a 3rd round pick and he's not the QB this year, why are you concerned about him?
So Purdy was at what round? What about Wilson? Need I go on.
And the point is they weren’t doing that stuff with Mills. That same crew did that crap with D-Chump 4. And they’re only doing this because they don’t like CJ.

And the point is they weren’t doing that stuff with Mills. That same crew did that crap with D-Chump 4. And they’re only doing this because they don’t like CJ.
You're just blocking out all the criticism Mills received last year. You were one of the leaders of the 'hang em' brigade. Go back and look at the Mills thread. Or accept that it's in the past and let it die. It hurts nothing if they criticize Stroud btw, their crow will just be that much more bitter if he is what we all hope.

FVCH I HATE TYPING SO MUCH...

You're just blocking out all the criticism Mills received last year. You were one of the leaders of the 'hang em' brigade. Go back and look at the Mills thread. Or accept that it's in the past and let it die. It hurts nothing if they criticize Stroud btw, their crow will just be that much more bitter if he is what we all hope.

FVCH I HATE TYPING SO MUCH...

Not my crow. I'm getting mine at Outback, with lobster.

One was working with Shanny/Slowik, the other was working with Lovie/Pep. Enough said. Not saying Mills is anywhere near as good as Purdy, but Mills didn't stand a chance of developing correctly.

One was working with Shanny/Slowik, the other was working with Lovie/Pep. Enough said. Not saying Mills is anywhere near as good as Purdy, but Mills didn't stand a chance of developing correctly.
But Some did think that pep Hamilton was going to bring the best out of mills….

No one ever said it was a QB only issue .... All I did was give you a statistic.

You ran with it out into left field.

Absolutely No Texans fan is "against CJ".

He's our QB and we're stuck with him for better or worse - hopefully for better.

Lol I ran with it into left field? No, you gave a stat with no real context but made sure to drop special emphasis on him being 32nd in dealing with pressure according to that metric while also emphasizing him being “on brand” and downplaying the challenges he’s dealing with as “excuses”. Even now..”stuck” with him? C’mon man. I think we know where you’re at…even if you don’t want to come out and admit it…it’s just a message board, it’s not that serious.

At the end of the day No one should be able to look at this kids play thus far and be as critical as a few folks in here have been. Peyton Manning wasn’t Peyton Manning after 2 games. We’ve gone from him being an OSU qb and him being destined to be bad b/c of their sorry history of qb’s……to him having Mulegheta as his agent…….. to him being dumb b/c of his supposed leaked S2 score…. to now how he deals with pressure.

this after just 2 games when the guy has LITERALLY been 1 of only 2 bright spot on this team right now. Sure he could crash and burn from here on out..i mean even Ryan Leaf won his 1st 2 starts before he did. But damn folks. Would it kill y’all to look on the bright side of things for once?

Would it kill y’all to look on the bright side of things for once?
I'm not a sunny side up person. I always question, it's my nature. I call it like I see it. But if you can't see the good in C.J. Stroud after 2 otherwise disappointing games, you have blinders on.

Knowing then what I know now, would I do same thing the Texans did in the 2023 draft and take Stroud #2? No. I'd do everything I could to move up to #1 and take C.J.

I'm not a sunny side up person. I always question, it's my nature. I call it like I see it. But if you can't see the good in C.J. Stroud after 2 otherwise disappointing games, you have blinders on.

Knowing then what I know now, would I do same thing the Texans did in the 2023 draft and take Stroud #2? No. I'd do everything I could to move up to #1 and take C.J.

im the same way bro..but I’m objective in how I see things. I’m not gonna put something on someone until I’ve got the reasoning over evidence to.

Lol I ran with it into left field? No, you gave a stat with no real context but made sure to drop special emphasis on him being 32nd in dealing with pressure according to that metric while also emphasizing him being “on brand” and downplaying the challenges he’s dealing with as “excuses”. Even now..”stuck” with him? C’mon man. I think we know where you’re at…even if you don’t want to come out and admit it…it’s just a message board, it’s not that serious.

At the end of the day No one should be able to look at this kids play thus far and be as critical as a few folks in here have been. Peyton Manning wasn’t Peyton Manning after 2 games. We’ve gone from him being an OSU qb and him being destined to be bad b/c of their sorry history of qb’s……to him having Mulegheta as his agent…….. to him being dumb b/c of his supposed leaked S2 score…. to now how he deals with pressure.

this after just 2 games when the guy has LITERALLY been 1 of only 2 bright spot on this team right now. Sure he could crash and burn from here on out..i mean even Ryan Leaf won his 1st 2 starts before he did. But damn folks. Would it kill y’all to look on the bright side of things for once?
Well said Tex. It is clear as day.

Why didn’t you post these same stats for Mills.
I'm pretty sure they did. Mills stats against pressure was pretty good his rookie season.

That’s why they’re so keyed in on the negative.
For the record, I tried to compliment Stroud & "they" jumped on me for it.
b/c of his supposed leaked S2 score…. to now how he deals with pressure.
I've always understood the S2 to be indicative of his ability to react to pressure. I don't know (maybe they have) anyone saying he was dumb because of the S2. I know one guy who says the S2 indicates he will not be a good QB. But that's one guy who doesn't take this stuff as seriously as you.

To me, the S2 is a snapshot of what he was, has no bearing on what he's going to be. That's on Cap.

I'm pretty sure they did. Mills stats against pressure was pretty good his rookie season.

For the record, I tried to compliment Stroud & "they" jumped on me for it.

I've always understood the S2 to be indicative of his ability to react to pressure. I don't know (maybe they have) anyone saying he was dumb because of the S2. I know one guy who says the S2 indicates he will not be a good QB. But that's one guy who doesn't take this stuff as seriously as you.

To me, the S2 is a snapshot of what he was, has no bearing on what he's going to be. That's on Cap.
No they didn’t post that at all. Especially those anti Stroud fans. One particular guy stopped posting for awhile and every so often would pull a cameo appearance on here.
Another one has come up with this no excuses stuff. And claims that they treated Mills unfairly. He never brought up these stats. He also claims stats are for losers.
The other one only post negative articles on CJ.
Now as far as the C2 crap. Well that’s what it is crap. It wasn’t mentioned at all last season or any other season before that. But since it was a negative towards CJ, that group and a few others act like it’s the be all to evaluating quarterbacks.

Why are they doing this? Well because they like you didn’t want them to draft CJ. The only difference is if we drafted Levis, they wouldn’t talk down on him. You on the other would still have the same mindset. You didn’t want them to draft any quarterback.

No they didn’t post that at all. Especially those anti Stroud fans. One particular guy stopped posting for awhile and every so often would pull a cameo appearance on here.
Another one has come up with this no excuses stuff. And claims that they treated Mills unfairly. He never brought up these stats. He also claims stats are for losers.
The other one only post negative articles on CJ.
Now as far as the C2 crap. Well that’s what it is crap. It wasn’t mentioned at all last season or any other season before that. But since it was a negative towards CJ, that group and a few others act like it’s the be all to evaluating quarterbacks.

Why are they doing this? Well because they like you didn’t want them to draft CJ. The only difference is if we drafted Levis, they wouldn’t talk down on him. You on the other would still have the same mindset. You didn’t want them to draft any quarterback.
You sound like Stroud's mother

Wow. Reading the last couple of pages in this thread. I was hoping that after the Watson fiasco, we could all get behind and support the new QB. But it looks like it's the same song and dance on this forum for too many posters.

Silly me. I thought when a player is drafted by your favorite team, you don't have to drink the Kool-Aid, you don't have to wear rose colored glasses, you can be skeptical, but you at least support and root for these players until they have proven otherwise. The passive aggressive crap about Mills not getting a chance is weak. With the injuries on the OL, the constant harping about S2 and handling pressure is premature. The subtle shots at Stroud are transparent and unnecessary.

For whatever reason, too many posters on this forum seem to latch onto a narrative and hold on to it like a lion with a pork chop. This forum might be a reflection of society where everyone wants to rush to be right and to say, "I told you so". It's getting tiresome to wade/read through this forum. SMDH.

Wonder what the fan council will have to say?
Whatever it is, I'm listening.

That would really be a mistake.

You should take a look at that list of people on the "fan council" and realize that many of them don't know as much about football as my dog and she think's a football everything is a chew toy.

The idea that a fan council holds sway over an NFL roster is asinine.

I don't know. Maybe I'm not keeping up. I don't think I'm part of this, but since this is a forum, let me make my position clear.

I can only speak for myself on this. (And I'm about to say a lot...)

I had doubts about Stroud before the draft.

I don't watch college games. I only learn about these players in the run-up to the draft. I don't consider myself a wannabe scout or an arm-chair GM, so I lean heavily on the thoughts of internet experts and guys in the forum and look at tape here and there. If it's someone I think we might draft, I watch more and try to get more opinions. With Stroud, the various experts were concerned about his response to pressure, his ability to throw from a clean pocket, and his ability to create off-schedule. I expected our offensive line to be a shambles, and I expect the pockets to be a lot dirtier in the NFL in general than what Stroud had in college.

The S2 score was a piece of evidence against him, but not a good piece of evidence in my opinion. Although it seems to corroborate what we saw in his college days, I don't know enough about the S2, how it's done, what it actually measures, or how it's administered. I also do not have sufficient information on its historical application and/or results.

Another strike against him for me, even though I know it shouldn't be, is that he's from Ohio State. That's never ended well.

I don't care who his representation is, who he idolizes, who he models his game after, or who he spends time with. I only care that he's serious about playing at a very high level.

His game against Georgia gave me hope that his issues with dirty pockets could be something he could improve.

EDIT -- I would not have drafted him. I didn't want to draft any of the QBs this year and instead build up our defense and our o-line.

But now he's my QB.

He has so far exceeded my expectations for him. At this point, I'm looking forward to a glorious and illustrious future with him as my QB.

So, I'm sold. Let's go!

I am kind of a numbers-nerd. If I find something interesting, I'm going to pull it up and examine it, whether it makes CJ look good or bad.

CJ does have a lot of room for improvement. Given how well he's already been playing, that should scare the entire league.

So... that's where I'm at.

Extremely logical post by Pencil Neck.

I wanted BY originally, but after watching tape of Stroud he really came off to me like the NFL’s version of Steph Curry.

The accuracy is incredible. The poise, top notch. The S2 didn’t match his tape so I disregarded it. Analyst pre test results were talking about his ability to read coverages etc.

He was the safest QB prospect by far.

I’m happy to have him, and I look forward to him improving his throwing under pressure.

I will say, it does look like we may have been unfortunate to not grab Steichen, but this is all early, Stroud projections included.

Last edited:
Extremely logical post by Pencil Neck.

I wanted BY originally, but after watching tape of Stroud he really came off to me like the NFL’s version of Steph Curry.

The accuracy is incredible. The poise, top notch. The S2 didn’t match his tape so I disregarded it. Analyst pre test results were talking about his ability to read coverages etc.

He was the safest QB prospect by far.

I’m happy with have him, and I look forward to him improving his throwing under pressure.

I will say, it does look like we may have been unfortunate to not grab Steichen, but this is all early, Stroud projections included.

Everybody has their own theories, but until they're put to the test you don't know. So far, with a sample size of two games, Stroud is the leading QB from the draft this year. But what will we be saying in January? I'm hoping we found our QB. If he manages to keep standing upright I think he'll get better. Anyone who can turn Nico frigging Collins into the 5th leading receiver in the league deserves attention.

I don't know. Maybe I'm not keeping up. I don't think I'm part of this, but since this is a forum, let me make my position clear.

I can only speak for myself on this. (And I'm about to say a lot...)

I had doubts about Stroud before the draft.

I don't watch college games. I only learn about these players in the run-up to the draft. I don't consider myself a wannabe scout or an arm-chair GM, so I lean heavily on the thoughts of internet experts and guys in the forum and look at tape here and there. If it's someone I think we might draft, I watch more and try to get more opinions. With Stroud, the various experts were concerned about his response to pressure, his ability to throw from a clean pocket, and his ability to create off-schedule. I expected our offensive line to be a shambles, and I expect the pockets to be a lot dirtier in the NFL in general than what Stroud had in college.

The S2 score was a piece of evidence against him, but not a good piece of evidence in my opinion. Although it seems to corroborate what we saw in his college days, I don't know enough about the S2, how it's done, what it actually measures, or how it's administered. I also do not have sufficient information on its historical application and/or results.

Another strike against him for me, even though I know it shouldn't be, is that he's from Ohio State. That's never ended well.

I don't care who his representation is, who he idolizes, who he models his game after, or who he spends time with. I only care that he's serious about playing at a very high level.

His game against Georgia gave me hope that his issues with dirty pockets could be something he could improve.

EDIT -- I would not have drafted him. I didn't want to draft any of the QBs this year and instead build up our defense and our o-line.

But now he's my QB.

He has so far exceeded my expectations for him. At this point, I'm looking forward to a glorious and illustrious future with him as my QB.

So, I'm sold. Let's go!

I am kind of a numbers-nerd. If I find something interesting, I'm going to pull it up and examine it, whether it makes CJ look good or bad.

CJ does have a lot of room for improvement. Given how well he's already been playing, that should scare the entire league.

So... that's where I'm at.
Good stuff

Everybody has their own theories, but until they're put to the test you don't know. So far, with a sample size of two games, Stroud is the leading QB from the draft this year. But what will we be saying in January? I'm hoping we found our QB. If he manages to keep standing upright I think he'll get better. Anyone who can turn Nico frigging Collins into the 5th leading receiver in the league deserves attention.

What he did in college has already translated to the NFL field. Reads coverage, progresses through them, throws with anticpation, is poised in the pocket.

When it comes to being a pure pocket passer, you could argue he is a similar prospect to Joe Burrow coming out.

My only worry would be if he does lose his poise by getting sacked so much, but the man is a competitior and doesn't lack confidence. I expect him to keep getting better.

Anyone know if Laremy is playing? If he plays, I’m hopeful CJ isn’t just totally destroyed back there. And then in a couple weeks, we will get Howard back.

I’m not sure how Juice figures in at this point. I suspect he will be a backup to start and they will slowly work him in. We’ll see who the three best interior guys are over the longer haul.

In any event…point is CJ will be getting help and reinforcements soon.

Anyone know if Laremy is playing? If he plays, I’m hopeful CJ isn’t just totally destroyed back there. And then in a couple weeks, we will get Howard back.

I’m not sure how Juice figures in at this point. I suspect he will be a backup to start and they will slowly work him in. We’ll see who the three best interior guys are over the longer haul.

In any event…point is CJ will be getting help and reinforcements soon.
He has been ruled out

What impresses me most is that it's evident he wasn't a product of the players around him. His oline and receiver corps in college were significantly better than what he has right now yet he looks like the exact same guy back there.

He makes guys look better, that's already evident.

I actually like Mills and still think he's a top level backup and someone who could benefit a lot of NFL teams right now, but that's the major difference between Mills and Stroud. Mills is as good as the talent around him - Stroud has the ability to elevate the talent around him.

Stroud will also undoubtedly have some bad games in the future because everyone does and I'm sure the same boo birds will come out from their holes to talk about their criticisms ad nauseum again but I'm fully in the believer camp with Stroud. This kid is legit. God bless Hannah McNair making one of the smartest NFL moves that this franchise has potentially ever made.

Back