Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston CJ Stroud

You guys have never played ball before man. he did his job he’s supposed to set the edge and turn Richardson inside to the other guys washing down. Which is how Stewart was able to lay the hit on him that ultimately took Richardson out of the game.
I was being sarcastic. I like Stingley.

CJ had a bit of good fortune because he could have suffered a couple of interceptions.

I'm very happy, but not surprised, to see CJ playing well. He needs to improve his pocket awareness and just go down or quickly throw away the ball on some plays rather than getting hit and coughing up the ball, something he's done twice now.

The receivers are better than many folks here thought. I wouldn't call any of them elite but they can get open and make plays.

:rolleyes: I bet it killed you to say that.
I've never thought he would be a bad QB. I've said as much in the past. I just dont think he's a championship type QB. On a positive note Collins looked like a WR1 from the little bit I watched today.

CJ had a bit of good fortune because he could have suffered a couple of interceptions.

I'm very happy, but not surprised, to see CJ playing well. He needs to improve his pocket awareness and just go down or quickly throw away the ball on some plays rather than getting hit and coughing up the ball, something he's done twice now.

The receivers are better than many folks here thought. I wouldn't call any of them elite but they can get open and make plays.
Almost every quarterback I saw play today had some type of fortune on their side.

Last edited:
So far, as I said before the draft...I am SO glad we took him over the short guy. And so far, he has out played him in his 1st game (likely to do it tomorrow as well). Glad to finally be able to start to see that we indeed drafted a QB with ice in his veins, a short memory of bad plays, improves his play with each game, is amazingly accurate, football IQ is very high and a very good arm to make every throw.

I very much would not be upset if we use 1 or 2 of our top 3 picks in next year's draft. And get some OLmen who are big, nasty and don't let anything past you.

Something that carried over from last game (not that I expected a rookie to fix every issue by game 2 so don't jump down my throat) is taking unnecessary sacks. There were less today but there was a crucial one. 2nd and 2 with 4 minutes left on the Colts 20 or so and down by 11. The game is surprisingly still in reach here. Stroud has a pretty decent pocket and even more painfully has two receivers open in front of him for the first down. I'm not in the QB room I don't know the progressions but regardless Stroud decides to roll out to the left, right into a defender and takes a 10 yard sack culminating in a missed 51 yard field goal.

Plays like those are what I'll be watching this season to see if he can clean that up because while what happened today isn't anywhere close to his fault ultimately those kinds of plays are what separates the good QB's from the great QB's.

He just wont be a top 5 QB.

I don't advice better money on that. In 2 games the kid has only all but took a good 1st start with no INTs and no TDs and a 75 about QBR to a near 400yrd passing, 2TD 0INT game. He has amazing accuracy and touch that is very rare. Football IQ is super high and it would not shock likely anyone here to see less sacks due to him throwing the ball away next week. Which seems odd, but it is about the only thing that we can say he needs to work on. Past that, this kid is playing better than some top 10 QBs already...just saying

Last edited:
Top 10 would be good enough for me. Besides pat, burrow and Allen I believe the last two spots in the top 5 will change every year
I believe Hurts is going to be up there for a long time and you have next yrs QB class coming in.

Stroud's ball placement is near elite already.
And I think he throws the slant route better than any QB the Texans have ever fielded.
He’s good for another reason too. He is making his receivers better. It took a CJ to bring out the inert talent of Nico. He and Dell are just getting started. Woods has new energy. Instead of a morose Mills on the bench between series he’s up and laughing and bonding with his guys. He has a total love of football and it is really fun and interesting to watch him get more comfortable with his trade. Forget waiting yet another year for some QB that is no way guaranteed especially with some folks whining about how long we’ve been bad already. I believe we’ve got him and when this injury dam breaks the growth will go into overdrive.

He’s good for another reason too. He is making his receivers better. It took a CJ to bring out the inert talent of Nico. He and Dell are just getting started. Woods has new energy. Instead of a morose Mills on the bench between series he’s up and laughing and bonding with his guys. He has a total love of football and it is really fun and interesting to watch him get more comfortable with his trade. Forget waiting yet another year for some QB that is no way guaranteed especially with some folks whining about how long we’ve been bad already. I believe we’ve got him and when this injury dam breaks the growth will go into overdrive.
We will see after yr three when David from the inner city comes calling.

After two games Stroud has the 4th highest total yards passing in the league, but is in the bottom half of the league as far as his rating goes. No interceptions so far.

The Texans are 28th in the league in rushing yards, which should be no surprise considering what we've seen so far. What's surprising is there are 4 teams with less rushing yards. Steelers have run for 41 yards in two games.

After two games Stroud has the 4th highest total yards passing in the league, but is in the bottom half of the league as far as his rating goes. No interceptions so far.

The Texans are 28th in the league in rushing yards, which should be no surprise considering what we've seen so far. What's surprising is there are 4 teams with less rushing yards. Steelers have run for 41 yards in two games.
There are still 4 teams who are yet to play including the Steelers. That might have something to do with it. We need the starting Oline back in a big way. Pass blocking was at best barely serviceable against the Colts and the run blocking was awful.

Steelers' second game is tonight.

LOL. Reading your posts on these last couple of pages, I was thinking you have done a 180 and then realized, you kept going and it's actually a 360. Always ending up where you started.
Hey his quarterback threw 2 interceptions, one touchdown and 185 yards.

You know why they do that right? So he can say I’ve given him his props. I was somewhat pulling for him to do well. Lol

The Texans are better in the yardage department, but not so good with the points (on either side).

Surprisingly, their TOP is not the issue.
They had nearly the same TOP as the Ravens and had 9 more minutes TOP against the Colts.

The D can't say that they're gassed, especially considering how we thought the D should carry the team this year and more injuries on the Offense.

The Steelers haven't played their second game, yet. We've got two MNF games tonight.

Reactions: JB
The Texans are better in the yardage department, but not so good with the points (on either side).

They had nearly the same TOP as the Ravens and had 9 more minutes TOP against the Colts.

The D can't say that they're gassed, especially considering how we thought the D should carry the team this year and more injuries on the Offense.
Small sample size but it begs the question how important is Pitre to the defense. In the 2 quarters he was in we gave up 7 points. In the 6 quarters he’s missed we’ve given up 48 points. Again small sample size could be nothing but a coincidence but those are the numbers.

The D is gassed from chasing all those guys open in the middle of the field.

I didn't even see Mills yesterday. The broadcast would show Stroud on the bench with Kennum and the QB coach looking at the tablet. Didn't see Mills with them.
I seem to remember them all talking together several times during the telecast... Case, Mills, and Stroud. I was actually impressed with Mills because it looked like he was trying to teach/tell Stroud something.

I seem to remember them all talking together several times during the telecast... Case, Mills, and Stroud. I was actually impressed with Mills because it looked like he was trying to teach/tell Stroud something.
I'm going to re-watch the game sometime this week. I'll look for that.

I believe Hurts is going to be up there for a long time and you have next yrs QB class coming in.

Next year's class has some good QBs in it no question. But, Young on paper was supposed to be somewhat better than CJ. So far he hasn't looked better. He plays tonight and I think CJ will have the better stat line after the game. The rookies next year might play well from day 1 or might look bad in the NFL. Time will tell. At his present progress. CJ will be ahead of them likely for a year or 2. Plus, of say 4 rookies next year 1 or 2 arena going to live up to the hype. 2 may, but will have to develop over a season. And maybe a pick in the 2nd or 3rd round could be better than the 1st round grades. Still, they are going to have to develop. What we know now is in 2 games CJ has gotten better and he is ranking in I think I saw top 10 QBs already. Can and will he keep it up? I think so, but we shall see.

Back