Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Charles Omenihu DE from Texas

mussop

Hall of Fame
I don’t understand al the reader love. He didn’t have a great year. In fact I would say he was disappointing.

Texansballer74

The Marine
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/texans/amp/Texans-encouraged-by-rookie-defensive-lineman-14017852.php

The orientation of Texans rookie defensive end Charles Omenihu involves a lot of moving parts.

The Texans are working to get the former University of Texas standout and Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year up to speed on everything from his stance, pass-rushing moves and defensive philosophy.

The early returns on Omenihu, a fifth-round selection, are encouraging with the obvious caveat that he still has a lot of room to grow.

At 6-5, 280 pounds with long arms and good mobility, Omenihu has the versatility to line up inside or outside.

"He's very raw, but he's got a bunch of tools to work with," Texans defensive line coach Anthony Weaver said. "So, we're just trying to mold him right now to get him how we want him to be, to be a Texans defensive lineman and hold that standard that we have that's really high at this point.

"He has the right approach to work. He comes in every day with the right mindset, so I think he'll get there."

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Speaking of Anthony Weaver his career cut short by injury, was a good, now even better as assistant coach pick-up, when Texans signed him as free agent.

Got to thinking, who were best free agent pick-ups by Texans.

Back to topic, Omenihu has all the tools to be great. Let’s hope Anthony is the right coach at the right time to do it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This kids an impressive pick by the Texans former GM and could turn out to be a better value in the fifth round than Justin Reid was in the third round from last year.
Where would you play him? How would you play him?

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
At first, I thought I was watching a video of Thorn trying to get home from the grocery store after spending all his gas money on the devil's lettuce.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
McClain: Charles Omenihu working on Version 2.0
John McClain , Houston Chronicle May 30, 2020 Updated: May 30, 2020 5:04 p.m.

Defensive end Charles Omenihu is undergoing a transformation he believes will help him earn more playing time and become a more productive player in his second season with the Texans.

Omenihu, a fifth-round pick in 2019, knows most NFL players make their biggest improvement between their first and second seasons. He went into the offseason with a plan to make a big jump by improving in every area.

As a rookie, Omenihu appeared in 14 games off the bench, contributing three sacks, two forced fumbles and two pass deflections. He expects to increase each of those statistics and become more effective against the run, too.

“One of my goals during the offseason was to reinvent myself physically to become a better athlete and a better player,” he said. “I’ve put on some weight and dropped some body fat.

“I expect to be a better version of myself from the player I was last season (because of) the work I’ve been doing. I want to put myself in position to expand my role and my playing time. I want to be better than the role I had last year.”

Barring injury, it’ll be difficult for Omenihu to become a starter in a three-man front over ends J.J. Watt and Angelo Blackson. But he could earn more playing time in passing situations.

Imagine a line of Watt and rookie Ross Blacklock on the inside and Omenihu and Whitney Mercilus on the outside. Or sub outside linebacker Jacob Martin on the outside and let Mercilus stand up and rush from the middle. Third-year outside linebacker Duke Ejiofor also figures in the equation.

“We’ve got a bunch of talented rushers,” defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver said recently. “We have a bunch of guys who are dependable, tough, smart and passionate about ball.

“They’re excited about some of the new things we’re going to do and the places we’re going to put them.”

Omenihu, 6-5, 280, doesn’t turn 23 until August. He’s been residing in Austin and participating daily in the Texans’ virtual offseason program.

“It’s been good, and I’m learning a lot, but I’m ready to play,” he said. “I’m ready to get back on the field and get things going.

“I have high expectations for myself. I want to do more to help the team win. I want to capitalize on the opportunities I missed last year. I want to double up on what I did as a rookie.”

At the University of Texas, Omenihu was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year in 2018. As a rookie, he learned under Weaver. During his interview sessions with the media last season, Weaver was quick to praise Omenihu’s talent and work ethic. But Weaver always pointed out how much better he thought Omenihu could be.

“He really helped me understand the importance of my run technique,” Omenihu said. “He had me working on both aspects of my game so I can become the best player I can be.

“He also helped me with my mentality as how I should approach the game. He told me I had the ability, but I had to learn how to go out there and use it.”

Watt watched Omenihu develop last season. They’re on daily conference calls with Weaver. At some point, they’ll be on the practice field working together like they did last season.

“Chuck’s working hard,” Watt said. “He wants to make a big jump this year. That’s his goal. I know he’s putting in the work to do that, and I’m looking forward to seeing him progress.”

Even though Weaver was promoted to defensive coordinator, he’ll continue to coach the linemen.

“I was extremely happy for him,” Omenihu said. “I told him how excited I was for him. He’s well-versed in coaching all three levels of the defense. He’ll be able to handle everything that comes with the job and the responsibilities that come with it.
“Weave played the game, and he played the game at a high level. He knows how we feel in every situation because he’s been there. He can relate with the players. He gives us the kind of insight we can respect because he played the game.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I have high hopes that ejiofor will be our Clowney of the future and Omenihu our JJ Watt. Eji needs to return to his final season stats at Wake Forest as a Junior.
I hope Ejiofor can be a true edge rusher that we haven't had in Houston for a long time.

Chuck, he'll never be Jj, maybe he can be our Strahan.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think Antonio Smith might be a more realistic comparison
perhaps but JJ and omenihu had very similar stats their last year of college football. That's not much of course but if I am per chance to dream, why not dream greatly?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
perhaps but JJ and omenihu had very similar stats their last year of college football. That's not much of course but if I am per chance to dream, why not dream greatly?
Yup, that would be a really great dream! But setting my expectations realistically, I like the comparison to Antonio Smith. If Omenihu can be the interior pass rusher Smith was, then that's a big win in my eyes.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Yup, that would be a really great dream! But setting my expectations realistically, I like the comparison to Antonio Smith. If Omenihu can be the interior pass rusher Smith was, then that's a big win in my eyes.
Smith averaged 6 sacks per season when with the Texans............I'd certainly not complain if Ejiofor could pull those numbers. All depends on how he comes back from his injuries.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Texans OLB coach likes that DE Charles Omenihu plays with a chip on his shoulder

Training camp has been a reunion for a position coach and a young player.

For the first time since the Houston Texans hired Chris Rumph as outside linebackers coach, the former Texas Longhorns assistant coach for defense/defensive line was able to reunite with a kid he recruited from Rowlett High School in 2014, Charles Omenihu.

“What a wonderful young man,” Rumph said. “Besides being a really good football player, he’s a great young man who comes from a really, really good family. I’m excited to get back with him. When I saw him for the first time the other day, I was just amazed at how much he’s grown.”

Full Article
I really liked reading this part:

Said Rumph: “Once you get to this level here, you have to have something that is pushing you every day and something that is pushing you towards that goal. Not only being the best on the team but being the best in the league. I think Charles, along with a bunch of other guys, have that ‘why.’ I’m glad that he does have that chip on his shoulder and I’m glad to see that he is pushing towards his goals and his dreams.”

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Depends on your expectations. Wilfork didn't have 'great' years here either, but he was loved by most

Some people just don't have an appreciation for what those big guys do ... particularly in the 34 scheme. That guy in the middle is the key to not only stopping the run but the pass rush as well. Those outside rushers don't put up the numbers without that guy and the LBers get washed out.

I think Reader will have a few more fans after the first couple games of this season when they see the difference.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Some people just don't have an appreciation for what those big guys do ... particularly in the 34 scheme. That guy in the middle is the key to not only stopping the run but the pass rush as well. Those outside rushers don't put up the numbers without that guy and the LBers get washed out.

I think Reader will have a few more fans after the first couple games of this season when they see the difference.
Paragraph one..yep!
Paragraph two..Reader had and has plenty of fans. Not so many fans of paying him $31.75 m for 2020 and '21 with over $9 m dead money going into 2022. DJ is right where he needs to be.

I am not so quick to give up on Blacklock and Weaver.

badboy

Hall of Fame
that guy looks really good tonight. every time he gets pushed back hes able to turn around and run down the chiefs running back. built like a de and i like what i see. is he the young de from ut im hearing good things about?
Yes. I expect a huge Year from him. I've gone out on a limb and predicted he will be JJ Watt replacement eventually.