Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Blake Fisher

I don't know if this pickup says anything about Tytus or not...

I mean, Texans said earlier in the process they felt like the roster was already solid and weren't drafting from a position of need. But besides that, lets say Howard can't go to start off....You placing the responsibility of helping to protect the edge of CJ with a mid round rookie? If Howard can't go, they should've brought in someone else in free agency or made a trade to at least just raise the competition for the RT spot.

I mean, Texans said earlier in the process they felt like the roster was already solid and weren't drafting from a position of need. But besides that, lets say Howard can't go to start off....You placing the responsibility of helping to protect the edge of CJ with a mid round rookie? If Howard can't go, they should've brought in someone else in free agency or made a trade to at least just raise the competition for the RT spot.
Pretty certain newly extended David Sharpe our Swing would take over RT.

Looks really good runblocking in those clips.

His pass protection worries me. Needs some work there.
Just has to get out of his stance quicker in pass pro. That can be taught.

Now they have a RT they can run behind. Put Mason/Fisher/Stover on the right side on 3rd and short with Mixon, the run game just got better.

Last edited:
To me, protection inside is more important than outside with a qb like CJ. He's pretty good at negotiating pressure off the edges, but that inside pressure is the one. There is a reason vs Pittsburgh he didn't have issues vs Watt and Highsmith

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
The truth is that all QBs including Brady have historically had problems with up the middle pass rushes........less space and time to react. The inside of the OL is too often given too little importance.

This online is now deep. The question is the play level of the likely starters, but I’m really liking the depth of the line.

Like steel, I think after putting in some research time on Fisher, the biggest thing I notice is the guy is already an accomplished run blocker. On that matter…he’s probably as good or better than Howard is today. Where Howard shines is pass pro - Fisher has a good ways to go to catch a healthy Howard…note the word healthy which is the biggest issue with Howard. But he has the tools, and pro level coaching should get him to starter level pass pro sooner rather than later.

This online is now deep. The question is the play level of the likely starters, but I’m really liking the depth of the line.

Like steel, I think after putting in some research time on Fisher, the biggest thing I notice is the guy is already an accomplished run blocker. On that matter…he’s probably as good or better than Howard is today. Where Howard shines is pass pro - Fisher has a good ways to go to catch a healthy Howard…note the word healthy which is the biggest issue with Howard. But he has the tools, and pro level coaching should get him to starter level pass pro sooner rather than later.
Plus the Fisher pick will allow Caserio/Ryans to move on from Howard if he doesn't comeback and perform to his pre-injury form at RT or better than he performed there in the past. There's going to be some real competition in TC for the OL spots. After last yr I'm all about depth on the OL. Although I would've gone a different way in the draft, it makes perfect sense if you want to improve the run game then draft Fisher and Stover and for that matter they upgraded with Jordan too.

With two of his former players now on our roster, perhaps we should find a role for him with Texans coaching?
We're kind of loaded, if not overloaded with Strausser as the o-line coach and two assistants (usually teams only have one).

That said if Strausser were ever to depart he's definitely one of the first names I would have on my list. Especially if we want to continue as a zone blocking team.

based on what?
based on getting the 5 best players on the field. Green is soft as hell. Scruggs gets pushed around like he’s on skates. Howard should never play G again. Unless Howard can’t play because of injury he’s the starting RT.

Jeffrey Simmons and T Sweat will destroy Howard or Green and Scruggs.

I would still like to see another addition via free agency or trade for the OL.
I have 7 players who will be on the 53. 8 if Howard can go. I have 3 more who could be on the bubble, one OG, Broeker, and two OTs, Heck and Sharpe. So how many OLmen do we carry? And who do bring in, a G to challenge Broeker or a T to challenge Heck?

based on getting the 5 best players on the field. Green is soft as hell. Scruggs gets pushed around like he’s on skates. Howard should never play G again. Unless Howard can’t play because of injury he’s the starting RT.

so, no way Scruggs got stronger in his first NFL year over the off-season? I am sure the team gave him some orders and I expect him at center versus guard anyway. And Kenyon Green, he may finally be fit, healthy and stronger, if not, Kendrick Green or Patterson please. We have enough guys to at least hold down the middle, and excel at OT. Good play calling, scheme, coaching and health will help as well, and two RB's that can run zone. Eventually you have to use that $$ and draft capital in other pockets. LT two round ones, Howard, one, Kenyon one, Scruggs a 2, Fisher a 2 and then they pay the OT's as well and Mason in FA. Not neglecting the OL, heck they went the other way

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised. Although Simmons and Sweat are going to be a handful for most IOL. The inbreds drafting Sweat was a worse case scenario.

Plus the Fisher pick will allow Caserio/Ryans to move on from Howard if he doesn't comeback and perform to his pre-injury form at RT or better than he performed there in the past. There's going to be some real competition in TC for the OL spots. After last yr I'm all about depth on the OL. Although I would've gone a different way in the draft, it makes perfect sense if you want to improve the run game then draft Fisher and Stover and for that matter they upgraded with Jordan too.

Agreed on all points. Admittedly, I would have have gone def tackle there. But that’s with the understanding that Howard is on track to be healthy enough to hold down RT all year. Point of fact - that seems like a stretch, so in that case…I see plenty of support to take a guy with a relatively high upside in Fisher. I don’t see an array of elite traits…but I do see a really solid future starting RT. He just seems solid across the board. He may be able to play left, or even G, but I see him as more of a true RT. As a rookie, he’s likely to get cross-trained at 4 positions…but long term, this guy needs to be planted at RT.

I think ideally, he’s your 2025 RT after a year of seasoning. Which means Howard is traded or released. Probably released given his medical.

"getting the 5 best players on the field" is exactly how you get players out of position and how you get someone like Howard at guard in the first place.

Put guys in their best positions first and then put them out there. Don't shoe horn someone in who will play out of position and poorly.

"getting the 5 best players on the field" is exactly how you get players out of position and how you get someone like Howard at guard in the first place.

Put guys in their best positions first and then put them out there. Don't shoe horn someone in who will play out of position and poorly.
Horses for courses.

I have 7 players who will be on the 53. 8 if Howard can go. I have 3 more who could be on the bubble, one OG, Broeker, and two OTs, Heck and Sharpe. So how many OLmen do we carry? And who do bring in, a G to challenge Broeker or a T to challenge Heck?
We should only bring in a player who can beat out not challenge a backup.

I have a bit higher opinion of Heck than most here. Going back to his '21 and '22 seasons, his pass blocking grade is adequate, in the 70's. It's his run blocking which is pathetic, in the 40's.

If Howard can't go, which is my expectation, then Heck is the presumed starter going into camp.

If Fiaher can do a possible job in pass blocking, I'm hoping, with an expected better job at run blocking, he can win the starting position this year at RT. Heck can be the swing tackle. If Howard can come back but less than 100%, perhaps he can come back as the swing tackle until we can unload from his contract.

Going back to his '21 and '22 seasons, his pass blocking grade is adequate, in the 70's. It's his run blocking which is pathetic, in the 40's.
You put way too much weight into PFF grades. Watch the games! Heck's pass blocking is atrocious! Beyond pathetic even

You put way too much weight into PFF grades. Watch the games! Heck's pass blocking is atrocious! Beyond pathetic even
Everybody uses PFF. It's a standard metric for the game. What you seem to discount is that most people don't watch and breakdown games and grade players to the extent you imply.

I’m fine with Heck opening the season if Howard needs a few weeks, but if Howard can’t go or it will be deep into the season, we need a better candidate. Going strictly by what I read, Blake may not be that guy for 24. I think they pull off a move for a vet journeyman like they did last year if Howard can’t go.

Not to the extent you do. Most people don't subscribe
Point taken. Poor choice of words. I was referring to individuals, news media and others who write or report on the game and players. There are 32 teams and each team has 53 players. PFF is a go to source. There are others, such as the NFL rankings and stats. Teams are also well aware of how PFF grades players.

Point taken. Poor choice of words. I was referring to individuals, news media and others who write or report on the game and players. There are 32 teams and each team has 53 players. PFF is a go to source. There are others, such as the NFL rankings and stats. Teams are also well aware of how PFF grades players.
PFF graders are just fans watching the game and have no knowledge of the playcall or player responsibilities

Everybody uses PFF. It's a standard metric for the game. What you seem to discount is that most people don't watch and breakdown games and grade players to the extent you imply.
Then those that consider PFF can be the Holy Grail are misinformed.

BTW, I know this won't be a popular opinion, but if you watch Notre Dame's games, there's not much difference between Alt and Fisher.

Let’s see what a year of pro training will do. Absolute worst case barring injury or something major… he ends up being a high level backup swing tackle. A bit disappointing for a late 2nd, but still brings value to any team, especially one like the Texans.

Best case, he shows great progress this year, and makes Howard expendable and moves right into RT in 2025 and doesn’t let it go for years.

Why is it a disappointment? He's being compared to the first OT taken at 5th overall

You don’t draft a tackle at thst spot unless you believe he’s your future starter. Not to mention the lost opportunity cost of missing out on possibly drafting a true starter at a different position of need, such as DT. If he fails to be the answer at RT, that s amiss and at least a mild disappointment imho. Nothing to do with Alt specifically.

Back