Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Watt out for season - Now What?

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
Tunsil has been a positive, and Watson alive had to be our priority if we had any chance
this year. The negative of that trade will be abundantly clear the next 2 drafts. I hated the deal initially but I'm leaning toward worth it. Just quit with the Gd false starts already.

Seeing coutee drop off and knowing fuller would get hurt makes Stills worth it. We've already seen him play really well. I wouldn't call him dr jeckle and Mr hyde. I'd call him good at times and average at his worst. Stills was someone I thought of as a throw away in that trade. I was wrong - i like him.

I like Hyde and think he's better then Miller. He may not have the long speed to bump his ypc average but he grinds out tough yards Miller never could. I agree Duke isn't utilized correctly and if we dont start using him right it was a bad trade. I'm guessing he'll have a couple of huge plays this year to prove me wrong but I wont hold my breath.

The Clowney trade was an absolute disaster. I put it right up there with the oz trade. Mishandled, misplayed, and humiliating. We got a mid to late 3rd round pick and a couple of struggling jags for clowney. - it's not forgivable. To make matters worse we lost watt for the season. How's that for salt in our wound?

The Conley trade was forced by injury and it's to early to tell I think.

That said, we probably are middling. Not because of the trades ,but because of the injuries on defense and stupid game management.This offense has had great moments I've never seen before and I believe the trades played a big part in that.

Jmo ofcourse.
I just wanted this out there after today's game.

Yes the team would be screwed without Stills and Tunsil/Hyde/Duke.

Conley is a very talented guy who fits RAC's scheme and it's doubtful that they could find a CB as good as Conley late in the 3rd rd. Good news is Conley is still under contract for 2 more yrs after this yr.

I didn't like the Clowney trade either but I understand why it was made. They took a mid/late 3rd rather than risk Clowney blowing out his knee this yr and getting nothing for him. Not what I would've done, but I understand the move.

thunderkyss

It's good to be me... again.
Staff member
I didn't like the Clowney trade either but I understand why it was made. They took a mid/late 3rd rather than risk Clowney blowing out his knee this yr and getting nothing for him.
I really don't think the knee factored into it. Someone is going to pay him big money. Not us. We had been fielding offers since the draft. Missed out on the KC deal. & BO'b just rather move forward without him than sideways with him.

Can you imagine the leverage he'd think he had with Jj out for the season?

Cool dude. Good football player. Gonna get a huge contract. Just not here. Wish him all the best & all that. But bye

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
I really don't think the knee factored into it. Someone is going to pay him big money. Not us. We had been fielding offers since the draft. Missed out on the KC deal. & BO'b just rather move forward without him than sideways with him.

Cool dude. Good football player. Gonna get a huge contract. Just not here. Wish him all the best & all that. But bye
I dont think he's going to get the $$$$ that he thinks he's going to get.

Mack/Donald type $$$$.

mws

Veteran
Really,

6-3 going into the bye would suggest otherwise.
I agree that the trades are a contributing factor but we were 6-3 going into the bye last year without any of them.

In my opinion the most important common denominator the last 2 years is Watson.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
I agree that the trades are a contributing factor but we were 6-3 going into the bye last year without any of them.

In my opinion the most important common denominator the last 2 years is Watson.
Agreed, without your QB your nothing.

This team has alot more potential due to a much improved OL/depth at WR after WFV gets hurt again/I think there's going to be much better depth in the secondary. Hyde/Duke as a tandem are better than Miller/Blue.

In short this team has better depth to withstand injuries than last yrs team did and the OL is actually quite good and has much room to improve, compared to last yrs putrid OL.

PapaL

Loose Screw
He could have had a probowl season, broke the sack record, broke the INT record this season, and any other wild accomplishment but we still could have franchised him again. This time his trade value would have been than what we got for him. Only leverage JDC had was when OB said he'd trade him after signing his tender.