Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson bad play thread

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
So how do you Anti-Watson guys think this is really going down?

You guys think OB is telling him to get the ball out and to take the dump offs when they are there and Watson just keeps on ignoring that...like screw what they are talking about, I’m gonna do me...

And the guy that “got into it with Brady” is now too chickenshyt to call out his QB and goes so far as to even sign him to a huge extension while he’s doing so many things obviously wrong?

Here’s a write up from Watson’s rookie year:

Looking at the Coaches Film and studying Next Gen Stats data, Houston's aerial attack is definitely built around Watson's superb skills as a quick-rhythm passer. In the Texans' 57-14 blowout of Tennessee this past Sunday, the quick game accounted for 47.1 percent of his pass attempts -- on passes thrown in 2.50 seconds or less, Watson completed 15 of 16 tosses for 136 yards and three touchdowns. He compiled a 141.7 passer rating on those throws while displaying outstanding confidence delivering the ball to his receivers on catch-rock-and-fire passes.
Watson completed an assortment of slants, hitches and sticks to his pass catchers out of spread and empty formations vs. Tennessee. With the Texans clearing sight lines for the quarterback through the wide alignments of his receivers, Watson was able to identify and exploit the coverage with quick laser throws. This is the same concept that he used at Clemson to pick apart ACC defenses for three years, so it's sensible for the Texans to incorporate the scheme and help him find his rhythm as a pocket passer.
While some would suggest that Watson's Week 4 performance was a one-game aberration, it is important to note that he has completed 20 of his 21 quick passes over the past two games. Considering that he has completed 47 of 67 passes for 584 yards -- with six touchdowns, three interceptions and a 108.1 passer rating -- during that span, I would expect the Texans to continue utilizing the "dink and dunk" method until opponents find a way to eliminate the layups.
The Texans have also stolen pages from Clemson's playbook to enhance their running game, particularly down in the red zone. I noticed the team running more zone-read plays with Watson keying the edge defender before electing to hand the ball off on an inside run. In addition, the team has added some designed quarterback runs that have given the team a plus-one advantage at the point of attack. With most defenses failing to account for the quarterback in the running game, the selective use of QB runs eliminates the advantage of loaded boxes. Thus, Houston's running game has seen a spike in production since the rookie stepped in as the QB1, as the Texans have averaged 155.3 rushing yards in Watson's three starts.

With increased ground production leading to more attention from opposing defensive coordinators, the Texans' play-action passing game has flourished. DeAndre Hopkins, Bruce Ellington and Will Fuller have made second-level defenders pay for overreacting to play fakes on a variety of seam routes and deep crossers. Once again, these are the same routes that helped Watson torch defenders as a collegian.
Now, the Texans and Watson must be prepared to deal with defenses adjusting to their new playbook, as teams get more film and hone in on their tendencies. It typically takes about four games for defensive coordinators to compile enough data to make a comprehensive scouting report. Thus, Sunday night's Chiefs-Texans game -- which will be Watson's fifth game (and fourth start) -- should be quite interesting.
Considering how Watson has feasted on quick passes and short throws (10 yards or fewer) over the past two games while also showing spectacular playmaking skills as runner, the 4-0 Chiefs better be prepared to deal with an athletic point guard who boasts a diverse skill set and feels right at home in his college-style scheme.

So the guy that now holds the ball too long was at his best when the offense had designed quick throws and more RPO.

Why did they go so far away from the style of offense that Watson was so successful in early on instead of building on it and adding more to it? Probably because OB wants to run his stuff.

Haters will say...”OpPosSinG CoOrdINaTOrS FiGuReD hIm OuT”

Yeah, I’m sure it had nothing to do with OB’s slow transition to his “game plan” offense and concepts he’s comfortable with.

But back to the original point, why is teapot or kettle head or whatever they called him not chewing Watson out or at least showing more frustration with him? Why after Watson had a bad game last year he reached out to his personal qb coach instead of getting in the film room with his head coach and supposed qb Whisperer?

Answers to the questions I asked are obvious, but the spin can be entertaining.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
not at all impressed with 78 on that play. Did he hear a whistle or something?

I buy Watson’s “explanation” that he was looking to throw it to Fuller. That makes perfect sense.

To me, it looks like he’s looking at the safety on the left hash. That guy sits, so I would think a throw over the top to Stills is where he wanted to go. He steps forward, then takes a 2nd step forward. Pretty much saying he changed his mind & is not going to throw it to Stills.

I think he changes his mind because the guy lined up over the slot on the right side drops very fast to cover the deep middle & Stills was running right at him.

The Steelers did a good job of presenting one look before the snap & quickly morph into something completely different after the snap. I’d bet Watson was expecting a two deep safeties in qtrs coverage. But both safeties stay shallow, baiting him into the deep throw. But He saw the DB racing deep at the last minute & changed his mind.

Maybe he thought to dump it to the TE, but after that second hitch he made, he’s too close to his line & he knows he cannot trust them. I don’t know.

But the biggest fault here is that extremely rich man who got beat off the snap. His defender flashes to the outside forcing Watson to step up a little quicker than he wanted too (perhaps). Then 78 gets beat to the inside & calls it a day.

If Watson can trust that guy to play to the whistle he could have stayed in the pocket & go from Stills to Fuller to check down. Fuller would have been a good target right after he made his break.

it was really a nice combination of routes. Even the guy wide right was open at his break. Easily would have picked up 15 yards if 78 did his job.

Thank you thank you thank you. Finally someone actually looked at the entire play verses trying to only find fault in Watson. This entire offensive line group has been atrocious so for through three games. This was a very important drive in which the play calling failed us. How do you run a play that doesn’t account for one of the best DE’s in the game. TJ Watt was unblocked, who messed up on that play. But my thing is why are we running a wide receiver sweep in the first place. You could’ve dink and donk while going uptempo. It worked to perfection to close out the half.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Watch Stills in the slot come open .... Wide Open long before the protection broke down. Long before the two checkdown routes materialized.
Yes he should have thrown it to the guy that didn’t even look for the ball who was clearly not at a place in his route where he would expect a ball to be thrown to him.
Maybe if Stills has stopped and curled up in front of the safety. But he’s clearly not finished running his route and is looking downfield the entire time and running straight to the coverage that is overtop.

You want Watson to throw it to him anyways? Then y’all would have a different complaint Saying he doesn’t know the playbook and doesn’t know what routes his guys are running.

I can see it now “It’s 3rd and long! Why would he be expecting his wideout to be looking for the ball short of the sticks”

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Here’s a play where Tyreek Hill is technically open once he gets past the LB, but Mahomes didn’t throw the ball until he actually made his break because...well, that’s what they practice and it makes no sense to throw to a receiver you know is not looking for the ball at that point in their route:

Against zone coverage you will see that a lot where you look at film and think the guy is open but if the WR is not looking for the pass at that point of their route, the qb is not going to throw it there. Especially if the guy isn’t cutting his route off short and sitting in the open hole.

in the footage after hill clears the LB he Presses into the daft Etsy and the breaks out. It’s not until his break that he turn and looks for the pass. Mahomes knows hill is not going to be looking for the football until that point in his route so that is when he throws it.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
This play is a real good example of the issues of this offense and a prime example that the scheme - No One's Open - is a false narrative.

There are THREE open pass catchers on this play , two of them short and the first was deep up the near hash.

This is very much the routine , not a rarity.

No , that's where you are wrong - we're not criticizing Watson for not looking to take the checkdown first - We're criticizing him for
A) Failing to identify the first deep opening up the near hash - Long before the pressure got to him
B) for not taking the checkdown instead of forcing a very poor throw that turns into a turnover.
Take your own advice, watch what the great professionals at work, and see what they do.
I had shown all the instances where those great QBs operated just like Watson did, and you still say they were wrong?

Let me walk you back on some of those instances here.
You have access to all the games, you should be able to go find them for yourselves:

Buccaneers Broncos

3 6:49
3 16 TAM 27 Tom Brady pass complete short right to LeSean McCoy for 15 yards (tackle by P.J. Locke)
Buccs up 25-10

Buccs in 11P, TE strong left, XZ left, Y right.
3 deep routes + TE left flat, RB right flat

Broncos rushed only 3 and dropped 8 into coverage.
Brady had all the time in the world to survey the field.

TE took on the RDE squarely before releasing to the left flat, uncovered;
he was WIDE open; Brady never even gave him the time of the day.

RB was on Brady's right. He chipped the LDE to help out his RT and released to the right flat.
This is Lesean McCoy, who was also WIDE open (because as we all know, the Broncos dropped them deep, willing to give up the underneath stuff.)
But Brady waited until the last moment, just before pressure got to him, to dump off the ball.
He only went to check down just before the 6:45 second mark (nearly 4 seconds off the play clock) and got hit by the NT soon as the ball left his hand.

Brady did not go to the dump off right away.
He waited and waited to go deep but no receiver was open.

Watson knew the routes his receivers ran.
As the TE cleared away from the RB near the 2-second mark, Watson was setting up to make his throw.
Like I had said previously; he saw the RDT coming around his LG.
Watson was briefly in his throwing stance (he was climbing up the pocket in ready-to-throw position).
He saw the TE alright (regardless whether he intended to go there or not) but it was clear that he pulled the ball back.
And that can be only one of two reasons (or both) that I had stated:
(1) The deep route(s) saw a combination of coverage.
(2) The RDT's threat.
(3) The TE was his second read (at the earliest)

Brady ignored his two check downs for more than 3 seconds, and you claim Watson failed to take the check down in less than 2 seconds?

And I have no idea what that "first deep opening" near the hash "long before pressure" (that you talk about) might be.
Care to clarify that one so we know we're looking at the same thing here?

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Here’s a play where Tyreek Hill is technically open once he gets past the LB, but Mahomes didn’t throw the ball until he actually made his break because...well, that’s what they practice and it makes no sense to throw to a receiver you know is not looking for the ball at that point in their route:

Against zone coverage you will see that a lot where you look at film and think the guy is open but if the WR is not looking for the pass at that point of their route, the qb is not going to throw it there. Especially if the guy isn’t cutting his route off short and sitting in the open hole.

in the footage after hill clears the LB he Presses into the daft Etsy and the breaks out. It’s not until his break that he turn and looks for the pass. Mahomes knows hill is not going to be looking for the football until that point in his route so that is when he throws it.
Exactly.
Notice also that:
1. The RB that ran the flat route to the left was open 7 yards from the LOS, but Mahomes never looked at him.
2. Mahomes released the ball around the 3-second mark (waiting till the last moment) just before he got hit.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
You of all people should know who is but you wanted X to put those few on blast. One particular member stay on the Watson attack. Another member only post his negatives and refuses to address what he does right .
Why me of all people and what does put on blast mean? I know one particular member that finds a lot of fault with Watson but he has also said that Watson is the best QB the Texans have had and he finds fault with most everything the Texans do including the owners. He was super critical of everything long before you or Watson came around here. Why would positives be addressed when the team is 0-3? Watson get's most of the criticism because he has more control of what happens on the field than any other player on either side of the ball

76Texan

Hall of Fame
But the biggest fault here is that extremely rich man who got beat off the snap. His defender flashes to the outside forcing Watson to step up a little quicker than he wanted too (perhaps). Then 78 gets beat to the inside & calls it a day.
If Watson can trust that guy to play to the whistle he could have stayed in the pocket & go from Stills to Fuller to check down. Fuller would have been a good target right after he made his break.
it was really a nice combination of routes. Even the guy wide right was open at his break. Easily would have picked up 15 yards if 78 did his job.
That's one problem (or two) that I have with Tunsil; he doesn't play to the whistle at times.
On this particular play, he failed to redirect the RDE deep/wide, and then when the guy reverted back up inside, Tunsil was caught flat footed and just stood around doing nothing. Just a pathetic effort.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Should we talk about design or effort?
Lol... does it really have to be diaghramed out for folks how and when the qb processes his reads during a play?

The read is the safety. If he drops down or vacates that deep half, you go over the top deep to Stills on the post corner or whatever he was running....Safety continues to backpedal and/or you see something like a CB sliding underneath early to cover that deep area you come down IMMEDIATELY to the underneath stuff..in this case the route to Fuller. All this happens in milli seconds for DW4 but it happens DURING HIS DROP....Which is why the pre-snap read is so important..especially in this scenario. What DW4 got presnap was a 2 deep safety look...so you already know over the top is covered to some degree. Still, there's a chance to squeeze that post corner throw in there if the underneath area on the route is open..& this is why you still look there post-snap to confirm...which is what i have repeatedly said & what DW4 did..good for him. but no team stays in base cover 2 on 3rd and forever & there's always a wrinkle. In this case, the Steelers scouting report comes into play. The Steelers attacked personnel & specifically they attacked DW4 & his tendency of trying to force it downfield. They based this attack on what happened last week against the Ravens on the Peters int....where again he tried to force it downfield instead of taking the underneath wide open look for a minimal 4-5 yard gain. On the Ravens int, Peters fell off his man in front of him and slid underneath the deep over route DW4 tried to squeeze in to Cooks behind him. Now, whereas Peters gambled and came up with the int, The Steelers made a concerted effort through scheme and did the same exact thing on this int play to DW4 on the Stills route where the cb slid underneath the post corner to Stills..... but DW4 saw it this time, Good for him...he just didn't see it fast enough. But even though he saw it, on that side his unwillingness to take the underneath stuff still had in effect the same result..an int.

But there was a cascading effect that happened b/c of that though. He stayed on that deep route to Stills too long and as a result he missed his small window to get it to Fuller underneath...It appears he saw Fuller, but it was too late to get it to him...which i now think was the whole quick re-setting of the feet thing he did right before he started scrambling. So, he's now gone through 2 reads..........but there's still time to somewhat salvage the play..................if he just takes the check down there to Akins which is WIDE open b/c AGAIN, the Steelers were conceding it....but he goes away from that..

Nothing is wrong with the design of the play. The concept and reads of that play are universal across offenses for that particular route combo. He had a deep read (Stills) he had a medium read (Fuller) and he had a check down (Akins) All playside for him. 1 was not there, & he should've saw that fairly early. He missed the medium read underneath to Fuller for whatever reason..& He just skipped over his check down on that side in favor of the hero play & there's no excuse for that really.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That's one problem (or two) that I have with Tunsil; he doesn't play to the whistle at times.
On this particular play, he failed to redirect the RDE deep/wide, and then when the guy reverted back up inside, Tunsil was caught flat footed and just stood around doing nothing. Just a pathetic effort.
Exactly. We can focus on everything Watson did wrong on that play all day long. But That play was busted before he got to the bottom of his drop. Sure, he made his 5 steps or whatever, then stepped up to avoid the rush... but his internal clock sped up quick that going through his progression was out of the picture.

Avoiding the outside rush & recognizing the safety rotation changes everything.

It's just a 4 man rush & he can't trust his blindside to "the best young LT in the game"

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

I buy Watson’s “explanation” that he was looking to throw it to Fuller. That makes perfect sense.

To me, it looks like he’s looking at the safety on the left hash. That guy sits, so I would think a throw over the top to Stills is where he wanted to go. He steps forward, then takes a 2nd step forward. Pretty much saying he changed his mind & is not going to throw it to Stills.

I think he changes his mind because the guy lined up over the slot on the right side drops very fast to cover the deep middle & Stills was running right at him.

The Steelers did a good job of presenting one look before the snap & quickly morph into something completely different after the snap. I’d bet Watson was expecting a two deep safeties in qtrs coverage. But both safeties stay shallow, baiting him into the deep throw. But He saw the DB racing deep at the last minute & changed his mind.

Maybe he thought to dump it to the TE, but after that second hitch he made, he’s too close to his line & he knows he cannot trust them. I don’t know.

Watson had over 3 secs before there was any pressure. Tunsil took care of his man. By the time Tunsil's man was released, Watson had already taken off to the right (it was not in response to Tunsil's man who was behind and out of Watson's site). Watson had a significant window to take another option, if he were not bent on making the big play.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Why me of all people and what does put on blast mean? I know one particular member that finds a lot of fault with Watson but he has also said that Watson is the best QB the Texans have had and he finds fault with most everything the Texans do including the owners. He was super critical of everything long before you or Watson came around here. Why would positives be addressed when the team is 0-3? Watson get's most of the criticism because he has more control of what happens on the field than any other player on either side of the ball
Watson hasn't been given the Peyton Manning freedom to essentially run the offense in the manner he wishes. Also, Watson isn't given the freedom to look at OB/Kelly and shake off the play called. Watson, in this system with the Texans is to execute the offense and plays as called by OB/Kelly. If asked, would OB say Watson is allowed to audible out of his/Kelly's calls.

I still think the Texans players quit on OB after he came out in the second half and completely squandered the 2 defensive gems that put the Steelers on the sideline giving the offense "every" opportunity to pad their lead.

OptimisticTexan

Note to Watson.....next time you are forced to scramble towards the right sideline, cut or loop right and come back towards the left sideline b/c your entire OL will be standing there about 10 yards behind the defensive players.....get their hands off their hips and make them block again since you'll obviously be bringing those same defenders back to your protection for a second chance to do their jobs!!!!!!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So, he's now gone through 2 reads..........but there's still time to somewhat salvage the play..................if he just takes the check down there to Akins which is WIDE open b/c AGAIN, the Steelers were conceding it....but he goes away from that..
Yes & no... He knows LT78 is beat. It's only a matter of time before that guy comes up on his backside. I agree, if he could trust his OL to do what they should be able to do (4 man rush), you're right. There should be time to go through his reads. My opinion of course.

Now, he sprints to his right, buys time & Will Fuller comes open in another window. If he was actually trying to hit Fuller & the ball sailed on him, it's not a decision making or "trying to force it downfield" issue as much as poor mechanics (small hands) kind of issue.

Nothing is wrong with the design of the play. The concept and reads of that play are universal across offenses for that particular route combo. He had a deep read (Stills) he had a medium read (Fuller) and he had a check down (Akins) All playside for him.
Agreed, that was a pretty well drawn up play. Something I think is new for this offense. Hopefully they'll get all the kinks worked out & we see more of it in upcoming games.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Watson had over 3 secs before there was any pressure. Tunsil took care of his man. By the time Tunsil's man was released, Watson had already taken off to the right (it was not in response to Tunsil's man who was behind and out of Watson's site). Watson had a significant window to take another option, if he were not bent on making the big play.

Respectfully disagree. Tunsil is beat off the snap. When Watson gets to the bottom of his drop, Tunsil is not between the defender & the QB. Watson sees that & steps up, where he should be able to scan the field. He's on quick time the moment his back foot hits the ground.

He steps up & maybe sees that defender flashing around LT78 again. That clock in his head is moving fast, as it should be. He's got Stills deep, which is probably what he wanted & sees the rotating DB late. I mean I guess you can say he should have seen that earlier, but I think that's a reach. The Steelers did it that way, I think, because they want it to look like the deep route is open.

This video is a little better than the one you linked earlier. You can slide the slider with your mouse & almost watch it frame by frame.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Yes & no... He knows LT78 is beat. It's only a matter of time before that guy comes up on his backside. I agree, if he could trust his OL to do what they should be able to do (4 man rush), you're right. There should be time to go through his reads. My opinion of course.

Now, he sprints to his right, buys time & Will Fuller comes open in another window. If he was actually trying to hit Fuller & the ball sailed on him, it's not a decision making or "trying to force it downfield" issue as much as poor mechanics (small hands) kind of issue.

Agreed, that was a pretty well drawn up play. Something I think is new for this offense. Hopefully they'll get all the kinks worked out & we see more of it in upcoming games.
The throw to Akins was a simple flick of the wrist..wouldn’t have taken hardly any time or space at all to complete that pass which again was right in front of him play side after he realized he wasn’t gonna be able to get it to Fuller.

And those plays are there all the time..b/c it’s concepts...not actual plays that determine things. As the qb, you just have to be willing to take them more and pick your spots to go deep.

I’ll put up another play later where a check down to the underneath would’ve yielded a big play in lieu of what DW4 actually did.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Tunsil did what good LTs might do.,..,he carried the rusher in a circle past his QB to give him adequate time. As I posted before, no way Watson initially took off to his right in response to feeling Tunsil's man (entirely out of sight).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Watson hasn't been given the Peyton Manning freedom to essentially run the offense in the manner he wishes. Also, Watson isn't given the freedom to look at OB/Kelly and shake off the play called. Watson, in this system with the Texans is to execute the offense and plays as called by OB/Kelly. If asked, would OB say Watson is allowed to audible out of his/Kelly's calls.
Nobody gets Peyton Manning control. Peyton didn't have Peyton Manning control of the offense when he went to Denver.

But I've heard OB say there's no limits on Watson. He has the ability to run the offense they way Brady ran it in New England. The problem before, was that the offense itself wasn't as open as the New England offense, because of Bill. So far, to me, it looks much better. They're all stumbling through it right now. The OL, the receivers, the TEs & RBs. But it doesn't look like O'Briens three page playbook to me.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Nobody gets Peyton Manning control. Peyton didn't have Peyton Manning control of the offense when he went to Denver.

But I've heard OB say there's no limits on Watson. He has the ability to run the offense they way Brady ran it in New England. The problem before, was that the offense itself wasn't as open as the New England offense, because of Bill. So far, to me, it looks much better. They're all stumbling through it right now. The OL, the receivers, the TEs & RBs. But it doesn't look like O'Briens three page playbook to me.
This has been reported numerous times, yet there are those that excuse Watson at every turn as being significantly "handcuffed." Watson was given a $160 million contract. And with it major control and the major responsibility for the outcomes of games and where the team ultimately goes.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Tunsil did what good LTs might do.,..,he carried the rusher in a circle past his QB to give him adequate time. As I posted before, no way Watson initially took off to his right in response to feeling Tunsil's man (entirely out of sight).
That's not the way good LTs do it. The defender is coming flat to Watson at the bottom of Watson's drop. Watson steps up & the defender spins on 78, flashing again on his front side. I think it's that 2nd flash that gets Watson sped up.

I could be wrong Doc, I'm just a guy in front of a computer (on my phone), but Watson takes two steps forward before he loads up. That's telling me the first step up was to avoid the rush, which he wouldn't have to do if 78 had good position on the outside rusher (which he didn't). Then he's loaded up to throw deep to Stills when Fuller is in his 1st window. By the time he comes off Stills, it's too late to hit Fuller.

Believe me I’m not in the “Watson can do no wrong” crowd. He’s not perfect. But that was a good defensive ploy by Pittsburgh & Tunsil screwed the pooch. Watson was not the only problem on that one.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That's not the way good LTs do it. The defender is coming flat to Watson at the bottom of Watson's drop. Watson steps up & the defender spins on 78, flashing again on his front side. I think it's that 2nd flash that gets Watson sped up.

I could be wrong Doc, I'm just a guy in front of a computer (on my phone), but Watson takes two steps forward before he loads up. That's telling me the first step up was to avoid the rush, which he wouldn't have to do if 78 had good position on the outside rusher (which he didn't). Then he's loaded up to throw deep to Stills when Fuller is in his 1st window. By the time he comes off Stills, it's too late to hit Fuller.

Believe me I’m not in the “Watson can do no wrong” crowd. He’s not perfect. But that was a good defensive ploy by Pittsburgh & Tunsil screwed the pooch. Watson was not the only problem on that one.
I definitely don't believe that you are of the "Watson can do no wrong" crowd. You may not believe that I am not of the "Watson can do no right" crowd, but I'm not...............and that's why we can have civil discussions, even if we are in disagreement concerning how we might see things.

OptimisticTexan

This has been reported numerous times, yet there are those that excuse Watson at every turn as being significantly "handcuffed." Watson was given a $160 million contract. And with it major control and the major responsibility for the outcomes of games and where the team ultimately goes.
So that was Watson audibling into the running plays to start the second half. Sorry, I did not know this.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I respect everyone’s opinions but my thing is why aren’t those few selective members dissecting Watson’s good plays. Those same members did this same exact thing with Rick Smith. They only highlighted his down fall and never talked about what he did good for this organization. Why aren’t these same people dissecting everything every other player mistakes?
'eh, it's just opinions, man. We just have to appreciate the diversity of perspectives even when we disagree and/or they annoy us.

I'm sure folks are tired of my belly-aching about the groundhog owner, but it is what it is. :shades:

Speaking of Watson's good plays, you should start that thread. I'd love to see a thread dedicated to the positives in his game.

I guess we can argue this till the cows come home. I don't think this is the defining moment in the game. I think it defines dw instead.
Someone used the term "hero ball" about Watson recently and it is appropriate. We saw HWSNBN do the same thing (less talented, of course) once he started hearing phantom footsteps because he did not trust his line and did not believe in the scheme & playcalling.

What we are seeing is the patented Houston Texans QB Deconstruction 2.0®.

First, you use a 1st round pick on a QB, then, you fail to consistently protect him and find an offensive system that forces that square peg QB into that round scheme hole. Boil, then simmer for a couple of seasons. Viola! A fresh baked broken QB ready for his next team's bench.

:joker:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So that was Watson audibling into the running plays to start the second half. Sorry, I did not know this.
I don't know if it was an audible or not. But even if it were the called play, it's on Watson to see if it's a good play or not, from the LOS. If it's not, then he should get out of it, or adjust the formation to get it in our favor.

After they break the huddle, whatever the coach called is irrelevant because Watson can change whatever needs to be changed &/or call a time out. IF we go forward with a bad play, that's on Watson.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We saw HWSNBN do the same thing (less talented, of course) once he started hearing phantom footsteps because he did not trust his line and did not believe in the scheme & playcalling.

What we are seeing is the patented Houston Texans QB Deconstruction 2.0®.
Very possible.

Or we're still working in a new playcaller & two primary receivers without a preseason.

OptimisticTexan

What we never see is DW4 audibling us into a run play that exposes the defence.

That's a staple of top level qbs.
39 yards rushing might make me a little apprehensive. Now, if I'm working the passing game at all levels and finally have the defense on their heels and not loading the box, maybe I start with a draw play or some quick screens to keep the defense honest. OB's big problem.....he'll sink the ship before he gives up on the run or make an in-game adjustment to use the passing game to set-up the running game.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
One particular member is obviously Anti-Watson. He believes DW4 is not a good QB, and will NEVER be a good QB regardless of that HC. Sometimes makes ridiculous statements like Jacoby Brissett is better, or Fitzy/Hoyer ran the offense better. That's my definition of Anti-Watson.

Others are critical of his play for various reasons, but are at least open to the idea that DW can succeed in this league. I don't consider those guys Anti-Watson.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Very possible.

Or we're still working in a new playcaller & two primary receivers without a preseason.
Yep. There's probably lots of reasons for it. Heck, HWSNBN lost his OC just two games into the 2005 season. Buy 2006, Kubiak tried to fix him, but it was too late.

HWSNBN has even talked about being shell-schocked on his NFLN gig. A QBs mental state is as important as his physical abilities.

Coaches don't have to deal with it. To them, these players are just commodities. Disposable chess pieces in the end.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Hard to blame Tunsil on this one (we all know I'm pretty critical of him too) ....

He had his man backside and completely out of the play - the ball should have been gone long before that guy was able to get back into the play and put any pressure on Watson.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Hard to blame Tunsil on this one (we all know I'm pretty critical of him too) ....

He had his man backside and completely out of the play - the ball should have been gone long before that guy was able to get back into the play and put any pressure on Watson.
Go back and watch the Mahomes' throw to Hill that was posted earlier.
This is the long version.

It was mentioned that Mahomes drifted back 14 yards behind the LOS, and took nearly 4 seconds to throw the ball.

Now go back and watch Deshaun Watson.
He was only able to drop back about 9 yards before he had to climb up the ladder already in around 2 seconds.

If you go back to the Mahomes tape and compare, move Mahomes up 5 yards closer to the LOS like where Watson was, he'd be a dead duck shortly after 2 seconds.
The Niners had a stunt on, but Buckner didn't manage to get there until after 4 seconds.

The only way Watson can get the ball off "long before" is to throw it away, and that would still be a punt.

Also, look at the width of the field, and see where Tunsil and the RDE were during the play, and compare it with Taylor Lewan at the 2:55 mark in this video.
This video is easier to watch since the QB is straight in the middle of the field with the hashmarks on either side.
Look how Lewan had total control of the rusher and kept him outside the hashmark all the way back to the 9-yard depth and could have continued on if the defender decided to go on.

Tunsil, on the other hand, was manipulated almost into Watson, forcing him to step up sooner than he would have like.

Like night and day.

That's bad LT play, especially for a guy that earns top dollar.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

As promised, here is another instance of DW4 trying to force the ball a little further downfield than he really has to. 2nd qtr, ball is in Pitt's red zone on the 11. We have twins right with an unbalanced TE look on the left. DW4 has a single safety up top.

1601597615261.png

Just before the snap, we send Akins who is the TE lined up off the LOS, in motion to the left...most likely to create a little more space in the middle for the route combo coming.
BD3B547A-2BE8-4308-8A46-90A6BFC1D550.png

At the snap, we have Fells run a fade off the hash with DJ31 running a texas route right behind him. The read here is the LB's & you get easy an high low read. In zone, if the LB's drop too deep, you hit DJ31 in the middle for an easy 5 yard or more gain. If they don't drop at all &/or shift up towards the other hash, you hit Fells over the top of them on the fade with a bullet.
6088AF98-4112-4CB6-A88A-C9E8D7EF0454.png

Fells' route is a fade b/c he's fading away from the safety which makes it harder for him to get over the top to defend it. The off safety has to stay centerfield b/c he has to protect on a potential slant from the WR in the slot up top. It’s somewhat a moot point b/c the Steelers tried to disguise it as zone, but they are in fact in man coverage.
2AEB317D-6501-4AC2-8E1C-384EC2C2B93F.png
at the snap the play works to perfection. Fells' fade route helps to clear the middle of the field even more as his man follows him... DJ31's man is well out of position and he is frantically trying to get over to cover DJ31 as he thinks he's running to the flats..then the 2nd leg of that texas route kicks in, DJ31 reverses directions into the middle of the field which is WIDE OPEN. His man was completely out of position. Yet DW4 attempts to push it downfield to Fells who is covered up pretty well by Bush. No significant pressure. No obstructed passing lanes, it appears he just predetermined where he wanted to go with the ball b/c it came out pretty fast. This is yet another instance of him trying to push it down the field & he didn't need to do that. DJ31 probably walks in if he reads it out & gets it to him on time.

The scheme/playcall provides opportunities..DW4 has to be better in seizing them.

Taking the underneath here to DJ31 should've been where he went with the ball

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Go back and watch the Mahomes' throw to Hill that was posted earlier.
This is the long version.

It was mentioned that Mahomes drifted back 14 yards behind the LOS, and took nearly 4 seconds to throw the ball.

Now go back and watch Deshaun Watson.
He was only able to drop back about 9 yards before he had to climb up the ladder already in around 2 seconds.

If you go back to the Mahomes tape and compare, move Mahomes up 5 yards closer to the LOS like where Watson was, he'd be a dead duck shortly after 2 seconds.
The Niners had a stunt on, but Buckner didn't manage to get there until after 4 seconds.

The only way Watson can get the ball off "long before" is to throw it away, and that would still be a punt.

Also, look at the width of the field, and see where Tunsil and the RDE were during the play, and compare it with Taylor Lewan at the 2:55 mark in this video.
This video is easier to watch since the QB is straight in the middle of the field with the hashmarks on either side.
Look how Lewan had total control of the rusher and kept him outside the hashmark all the way back to the 9-yard depth and could have continued on if the defender decided to go on.

Tunsil, on the other hand, was manipulated almost into Watson, forcing him to step up sooner than he would have like.

Like night and day.

That's bad LT play, especially for a guy that earns top dollar.

Mahomes throw has Zilch to do with what I said - The ball should have been gone. Protection was fine until Watson passed over three opportunities to chuck it.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
As promised, here is another instance of DW4 trying to force the ball a little further downfield than he really has to. 2nd qtr, ball is in Pitt's red zone on the 11. We have twins right with an unbalanced TE look on the left. DW4 has a single safety up top.

View attachment 6724

Just before the snap, we send Akins who is the TE lined up off the LOS, in motion to the left...most likely to create a little more space in the middle for the route combo coming.
View attachment 6726

At the snap, we have Fells run a fade off the hash with DJ31 running a texas route right behind him. The read here is the LB's & you get easy an high low read. In zone, if the LB's drop too deep, you hit DJ31 in the middle for an easy 5 yard or more gain. If they don't drop at all &/or shift up towards the other hash, you hit Fells over the top of them on the fade with a bullet.
View attachment 6727

Fells' route is a fade b/c he's fading away from the safety which makes it harder for him to get over the top to defend it. The off safety has to stay centerfield b/c he has to protect on a potential slant from the WR in the slot up top. It’s somewhat a moot point b/c the Steelers tried to disguise it as zone, but they are in fact in man coverage.
View attachment 6728
at the snap the play works to perfection. Fells' fade route helps to clear the middle of the field even more as his man follows him... DJ31's man is well out of position and he is frantically trying to get over to cover DJ31 as he thinks he's running to the flats..then the 2nd leg of that texas route kicks in, DJ31 reverses directions into the middle of the field which is WIDE OPEN. His man was completely out of position. Yet DW4 attempts to push it downfield to Fells who is covered up pretty well by Bush. No significant pressure. No obstructed passing lanes, it appears he just predetermined where he wanted to go with the ball b/c it came out pretty fast. This is yet another instance of him trying to push it down the field & he didn't need to do that. DJ31 probably walks in if he reads it out & gets it to him on time.

The scheme/playcall provides opportunities..DW4 has to be better in seizing them.

Great breakdown ...

You probably need to do about a hundred more of these and maybe people won't think we're crazy anymore - and there are at least that many plays you could pick apart between this season and last.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

View attachment 6724

View attachment 6726

View attachment 6727

View attachment 6728

When the Texans sent Akins 88 into motion to the left, the DB followed him; that's a pretty sure sign of man coverage.
Watson has his money man in the red zone in Fells from last year, and that was where he was going to go to.
Never hesitated for a moment.
The ball was right there.
Fells caught it, too.
He just couldn't hold on to the ball.

Also, Watson most probably saw the blitzer coming at him on play side.
And he also knew there's a safety in the middle, where the RB was going to.
That RB is likely going to disrupt the safety's thought for at least a fraction of a second, even if DJ was covered.
DJ was running toward the safety after all.

That was exactly where the ball was going to go to.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Mahomes throw has Zilch to do with what I said - The ball should have been gone. Protection was fine until Watson passed over three opportunities to chuck it.
Respectfully disagree.
Like I said, there was NOWHERE to go with the ball.
I wish you could ask Watson what his thought was on that play.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
They based this attack on what happened last week against the Ravens on the Peters int....where again he tried to force it downfield instead of taking the underneath wide open look for a minimal 4-5 yard gain. On the Ravens int, Peters fell off his man in front of him and slid underneath the deep over route DW4 tried to squeeze in to Cooks behind him. Now, whereas Peters gambled and came up with the int,
I asked Leebig about that INT against the Ravens, and his thought was that our motion man failed to sell the route in the flat.

I thought it was an ill-conceived play design.
Sending the receiver across the formation only gave Peters the opportunity to check out the formation and confirm it further.

The Texans had run a play from the same formation earlier, but they ran the ball then.

If you watch very carefully, Peters looked back at the Y and he can see that the Y would run a crossing route.
And when Peters came past the X, he can see that this guy was going to run a crossing route, too.

The Texans had run this play a few times in the past; it really is a fairly route combo in many offenses.
A veteran like Peters surely had seen it when he studied film.

Knowing his own defensive call (single deep safety), Peters knew exactly where the ball was going to go to.
He was looking for it all the way.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Yes he should have thrown it to the guy that didn’t even look for the ball who was clearly not at a place in his route where he would expect a ball to be thrown to him.
Maybe if Stills has stopped and curled up in front of the safety. But he’s clearly not finished running his route and is looking downfield the entire time and running straight to the coverage that is overtop.

You want Watson to throw it to him anyways? Then y’all would have a different complaint Saying he doesn’t know the playbook and doesn’t know what routes his guys are running.

I can see it now “It’s 3rd and long! Why would he be expecting his wideout to be looking for the ball short of the sticks”
Puh-lease. Do not doubt people in front of their computer screens watching all 22 in slow mo, telling you a ball should have been thrown to that guy at frame 17. Doesn’t matter if that’s the read or if the receiver is looking, or that the play is moving at lightning speed with 300 pounders barreling down on you. Because you can clearly see it in frame 17.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
As promised, here is another instance of DW4 trying to force the ball a little further downfield than he really has to.
I never argued this point.

I never argued this point

I agree. However, this is DW4’s third game with DJ31. Maybe in the future he will trust DJ31 to be there in instances like this.

I don’t know what he was thinking, but I’m not going to fault him for favoring Fells (who he has history with) in the Red Zone.

That was a bullet, perfectly placed. The fault there was with the catch, not the throw.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
When the Texans sent Akins 88 into motion to the left, the DB followed him; that's a pretty sure sign of man coverage.
Watson has his money man in the red zone in Fells from last year, and that was where he was going to go to.
Never hesitated for a moment.
The ball was right there.
Fells caught it, too.
He just couldn't hold on to the ball.

Also, Watson most probably saw the blitzer coming at him on play side.
And he also knew there's a safety in the middle, where the RB was going to.
That RB is likely going to disrupt the safety's thought for at least a fraction of a second, even if DJ was covered.
DJ was running toward the safety after all.

That was exactly where the ball was going to go to.
This is pure unadulterated garbage and excuse making from you as usual. For 1, Akins going in motion to the left...Akins was the only guy out there on that side, what were the Steelers going to do NOT send anyone out there to align with him? Of course the CB went with him. It isn’t really as good of an indicator of man coverage as it normally would be.

2nd, the Steelers only sent 5...so technically, not a blitz..just an overload on 1 side..1 that the o-line handles pretty well.

the rest is purely speculative on your part and has no real basis in play design, qb reading or anything.

the only thing you get a cintilla of cred on is DW4’s familiarity with Fells in this situation vs DJ31. But even with that, Fells isn’t so much of a mismatch or that much better than the defender holding him that trying to squeeze a tight throw in to him was a better and more preferable option than to go to a wide open DJ31 in this instance. DW4 needed to read the play out and if he had he would’ve had probably an easy TD toss to DJ31.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

View attachment 6724

View attachment 6726

View attachment 6727

View attachment 6728

"For 1, Akins going in motion to the left...Akins was the only guy out there on that side, what were the Steelers going to do NOT send anyone out there to align with him? Of course the CB went with him. It isn’t really as good of an indicator of man coverage as it normally would be."

Texans in 12P shotgun, RB to the left of the QB , both TE stacked to the left, YZ to the right

LCB on man (on the Y)
Steelers in 52 Front (the 5th man on the line is the blitzer from the right side of the defense; this is the play side so Watson can see him easily .)
Slot CB off-man (on the Z);
Single deep safety
DB 22 follows Akins
It doesn't really matter what the Steelers shows as far as coverage is concerned.
The Texans sent (RB 31 DJ) out on the route immediately (no ball fake).
Watson can see the two inside LBs heading straight to their man (Fells and DJ) right in front of his eyes, just as the blitzer coming in .
When the D send 5 men to rush, zone coverage does not make much sense with only 6 defenders; I don't think I ever heard of such a thing.

2nd, the Steelers only sent 5...so technically, not a blitz..just an overload on 1 side..1 that the o-line handles pretty well.

"a blitz back then was always defined as sending five or more rushers" - Greg Cossell
https://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/07/17/cosell-talks-the-evolution-of-the-zone-blitz/

the rest is purely speculative on your part and has no real basis in play design, qb reading or anything.
the only thing you get a cintilla of cred on is DW4’s familiarity with Fells in this situation vs DJ31. But even with that, Fells isn’t so much of a mismatch or that much better than the defender holding him that trying to squeeze a tight throw in to him was a better and more preferable option than to go to a wide open DJ31 in this instance. DW4 needed to read the play out and if he had he would’ve had probably an easy TD toss to DJ31.

2 12:22 2 9 PIT 11 Deshaun Watson pass incomplete short left intended for Darren Fells (defended by Devin Bush)
Devin Bush Jr - LB, 5'11 - 234lb
Darren Fells - TE, 6-7, 270lb

You leave a 5'11 LB on my 6'7 TE, I'll go to him all day.

Look at this play at the 3:00 mark of the video
Watson doesn't even bother to look to his right side where there was a wide open man;
he got the match up he wanted (Fuller on 31 Leshaun Sims - a second year 5th rd CB),
no hesitation. take the snap, 3 step drop, fire, boom.
Touch Down

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
......no....No....NO!!! That's not the narrative!!! Only Watson makes those mistakes. All other NFL QB's (31) are successful and cognizant of their position.....only 1 fails to do the job on 9 of his passes. I really hope the Houston Watsons figure this out before it gets out of hand and someone possibly loses their job.
You got this right, according to some they're the Houston Watson's. Just look at some of those old threads.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
B
"For 1, Akins going in motion to the left...Akins was the only guy out there on that side, what were the Steelers going to do NOT send anyone out there to align with him? Of course the CB went with him. It isn’t really as good of an indicator of man coverage as it normally would be."

Texans in 12P shotgun, RB to the left of the QB , both TE stacked to the left, YZ to the right

LCB on man (on the Y)
Steelers in 52 Front (the 5th man on the line is the blitzer from the right side of the defense; this is the play side so Watson can see him easily .)
Slot CB off-man (on the Z);
Single deep safety
DB 22 follows Akins
It doesn't really matter what the Steelers shows as far as coverage is concerned.
The Texans sent (RB 31 DJ) out on the route immediately (no ball fake).
Watson can see the two inside LBs heading straight to their man (Fells and DJ) right in front of his eyes, just as the blitzer coming in .
When the D send 5 men to rush, zone coverage does not make much sense with only 6 defenders; I don't think I ever heard of such a thing.

"a blitz back then was always defined as sending five or more rushers" - Greg Cossell
https://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/07/17/cosell-talks-the-evolution-of-the-zone-blitz/

2 12:22 2 9 PIT 11 Deshaun Watson pass incomplete short left intended for Darren Fells (defended by Devin Bush)
Devin Bush Jr - LB, 5'11 - 234lb
Darren Fells - TE, 6-7, 270lb

You leave a 5'11 LB on my 6'7 TE, I'll go to him all day.

Look at this play at the 3:00 mark of the video
Watson doesn't even bother to look to his right side where there was a wide open man;
he got the match up he wanted (Fuller on 31 Leshaun Sims - a second year 5th rd CB),
no hesitation. take the snap, 3 step drop, fire, boom.
Touch Down
BTW, these instances are just what "presnap recognition" is all about.