Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wade/Smith Update

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Texans | Wade Learning Zone Blocking - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 18 May 2004 19:24:19 -0700

Carter Toole, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans OT Todd Wade is still learning the Texans' offensive line's zone blocking system after playing four seasons for the Miami Dolphins, who almost exclusively use a man blocking system. "I'm trying to get this offense down," Wade said. "It's been a little shaky going from a man running offense to a zone. It's all zone, whereas in Miami it was a lot more man -- we might have had one zone play. But it's progressing pretty well. In a week or so, I should have everything down."

Texans | R. Smith Adjusting to New Defense - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 18 May 2004 19:12:42 -0700

Carter Toole, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans DL Robaire Smith will line up as the Titans' right end next to the nose tackle in the team's 3-4 defensive scheme. Smith, who played in a 4-3 defense the past four season as a member of the Tennessee Titans, believes the new system will allow him to apply more pressure to the opposing quarterback. "I can definitely bring that (pass-rush) attitude," Smith said. "There are a lot of guys out here with that in them, it's just a matter of all of us getting on the same page."
Well they are definitely working on zone blocking for the O-line. Smith's attitude sounds good.

Chance_C

All Pro
Carter Toole, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans DL Robaire Smith will line up as the Titans' right end next to the nose tackle in the team's 3-4 defensive scheme.
I didn't know he went back to the Titans and they are changing to a 4-3..... :crazy:

aj.

All Pro
I had worked up a Q&A for Pendry for my next Voice column (zone blocking for dummies) but I just got turned down. He didn't want to leak any state secrets. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
On a 610 am sound bite, Wade just said he thought the line was going to be great and that once they had the zone blocking down "no one is going to be able to stop us." Good to hear the enthusiasm--sounds like O-line is liking the zone blocking.

Porky

Hall of Fame
infantrycak said:
On a 610 am sound bite, Wade just said he thought the line was going to be great and that once they had the zone blocking down "no one is going to be able to stop us." Good to hear the enthusiasm--sounds like O-line is liking the zone blocking.
Ya, I am glad to see they are taking to this like a fish to water. Zone blocking I do believe tends to favor quickness, and athletism over size, bulk, and muscle. I think that fits us pretty well. Mckinney is one guy that is a guaranteed starter that I can see this blocking scheme helping. All I know is look at Denver. If we get results close to what they have gotten over the years, I'll be one happy camper. :~ :banana:

TEXANS84

Staff member
Just read a report that fox26 reported that Walker and Wade got into it today. It was broken up by McKinney.

TexSon

Veteran
Again? I know they got into it yesterday as well. Good to see they are both going hard this early... I like the intensity.
On a related note, I am really stoked that Walker re-signed... he brings that nasty attitude we need on our D.

I am sure they will work it out. I think that the zone blocking should improve the situation on the OL. The OL needs to be more consistant this year.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I like the Oline really taking to the zone blocking but I sure hope DDavis is able to read it well. I really want him to have a great year this year and judging his sophmore year would have to take this new blocking scheme into consideration.