Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Vince Wilfork to Houston - **signed**

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
NT Vince Wilfork
(on Chiefs rookie center Mitch Morse and game planning for him) “I mean, we watch a lot of film on these
guys. At this point in the season at the beginning, you’re going to have some things where you really can’t
cover all the basics off of film work just because it’s the first game of the season, then you have new guys
and switching positions and stuff, moving back and forth, it’s a bunch of moving parts going on right now.
So I think most important thing for us is to understand how they want to attack us and sometimes that could
happen in the game. They’re going to show us some things that we haven’t practiced, so I think this game
is going to come down to making some sideline adjustments, how well we can do that, and then come in at
halftime and make adjustments from what they’ve shown us or what they’ve given us new. Besides on the
film. It’s going to be interesting, but at the same time, I know how explosive these guys can be, especially
at the skill position, have a big offensive line, they’re happy with what they have, so I know a couple of
injuries occurred up there, but I’m pretty sure (Head Coach) Andy Reid will get these guys fired up. It doesn’t
take much to get that bunch going, it’s a great team we’re playing so we we’re going to get tested right off
the bat. We have to be ready, we have to be prepared for it. We actually have to make sure we protect our
house, playing at home, make that an advantage of us. We have our work cut short for us, but I think we’ll
be ready to rock and roll.”

(on feeling similar to DE J.J. Watt, like he’s a caged animal ready to finally play in a game) “Absolutely, we
look forward to coming back and playing football. When you go to training camp, you’ve been off for all this
while then all of the sudden, no preseason games so you’re kind of biting at the bit a little bit and eager to
get going. I’m pretty sure there’s going to be a lot of emotion for myself and J.J. and (Johnathan) Joseph,
without playing preseason, but we’ve been practicing our tails off. We’ve been healthy. It’s just going to be
a lot of excitement going into the first game being able to play home, for me, being able to play in a different
crowd. I heard how crazy they get so I’m looking forward to that. At the end of the day, it’s football. We’ve
been playing football all our lives. I’ve been playing football since I was four, so one thing I do know how to
do is play football so I’ve just got to let the game come to me and just go out there with a relaxed mind and
prepare well and be okay.”

(on if it’ll be strange to play here after spending his entire career in New England) “I mean it’s something
different. I don’t think it’s strange because it’s football. Football is a business and at the same time, it’s
something that we love to do. I’ve been very blessed and fortunate to play this game for a long time. To
play for two organizations, really awesome organizations, 11 years in New England and now here, just the
little time I’ve been here I see how special it is to play here. Different uniform but at the same time, it all
boils back down to playing football and I was born to do this.”

(on how much it’s helped him to not have played in the preseason) “I mean you always want to play, but
sometimes coaches have some different mindset of going into games and stuff like that, so you have to
respect the coaches’ decision. But I think the way we practice, it’s like a preseason game. We practice hard
here. Between the weather and how we attack practice, the pressure he puts on us in practice, puts us in
game situations, I think being out for the preseason games, it really didn’t play a big factor in us as preparing
because of the way we practice. But it’s always good to get the season going, and everything counts now,
so it’s fun to get that going.”

(on if anything about DE J.J. Watt has surprised him since he’s been here) “No, you know what, I was on
the outside looking in for a while, but now I’ve got a chance to see him up close and personal every day.
Just to see how he works, the energy he has in practice, I think he attacks practice like it’s a game, and
that’s one thing a lot of guys can learn from is just seeing a guy like that work. It’s not a mistake that he is
who he is, it’s not a mistake, but if you see the way he works, and the way he practices, and the way he
carries himself, you’ll understand how successful he’s been in his career. He’s got a long way to still go, so
I’m going to be excited to see when he's eight, nine, 10 years in where his career is. It’s going to be very,
very exciting to see.”

(on what he’s thought of OLB Jadeveon Clowney) “My little son, little baby brother, he’s everything. You
know what he’s a hard worker, and that’s one thing I can respect about this team, not just JD, but I know a
lot of times we have to talk to him because he’s so eager, we wants to play, he wants to get out, he wants
to do all this, but I told him, ‘There’s steps you have to take.’ He’s learning, he’s learning, he’s still young,
but at the same time, he’s the first pick, he wants to be out there with us, so he’s going to get his moment
and I just told him, ‘When you get that moment, just make the best of it.’ But he’s been working his tail off
all camp, on the practice field, off the practice field, in the film room, off the field in all the things he’s been
through right now to come here and be a professional the way he has, it shows a lot about how much he’s
grown over the year. Sometimes you have to tell guys that because guys like that you have to make sure
you stay on and just keep positive influences in their lives. I think in this team he has everything he needs
in this team.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Vince looked fat and old. I watched him the entire game, and he never pushed the LOS and never looked like he was anything but an average NT.

Perhaps there is a reason why NE was okay with letting him go...

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Vince looked fat and old. I watched him the entire game, and he never pushed the LOS and never looked like he was anything but an average NT.

Perhaps there is a reason why NE was okay with letting him go...
The Pats are one of the smartest and most savvy organizations out there. Them letting an organizational stalwart like Wilfork walk was a huge red flag. He's almost 34 now and is nowhere near the player he once was.

That being said, he's still far superior to any player we have ever fielded at the NT position.

Scooter

Funky
Definitely not a good game for Vince. IMO being out preseason hurt him, he wasn't lined up properly a few times (by my own assumption) and was needing to have his assignment repeated to him by a linebacker. It was a bad matchup when your nose tackle is trying to read screen first, but that's no excuse. I expect more from the big man, and expect we'll get it as the season goes on.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Definitely not a good game for Vince. IMO being out preseason hurt him, he wasn't lined up properly a few times (by my own assumption) and was needing to have his assignment repeated to him by a linebacker. It was a bad matchup when your nose tackle is trying to read screen first, but that's no excuse. I expect more from the big man, and expect we'll get it as the season goes on.
I agree that Wilfork looked somewhat rusty, and I have to think that a good deal of that was due to seeing no live action in the preseason. But also, if you didn't notice, KC seemed to design most of their plays to avoid the middle and turn to the outside.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Our veterans looked old, slow, and rusty on that side of the ball. Offenses benefit from practice and defenses seem to benefit more from live reps. I didn't think any of our offensive vets looked like they were hurt by rest but the defense looked out of position and out of sync. I think it will get better and I think Vince can play better.