Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Viewing Franchise back on Sunday?

pittbull

Rookie
It could be early, but guess what folks, Edgerin James will not be with the Colts next year. Could he be headed to Houston? Why not? Could be a franchise back, not in the shadow of Manning and Harrison. A blocking back tot aid in his getting through holes. Could get the money he wants. Already used to the conference. A great atmosphere for a "quiet" natured guy to play in. Used to the heat (from Florida). It could become a bidding war with Miami, but I wouldn't put this type of deal past Casserly. If not this year, the Texans will be making a run at the conference title or playoffs, and he could be the missing piece on O-fense!!! :coolb:

yeah he could be a good edition, i still like davis though !, and STILL feel he is our back of the future, but i DO think james would be a good edition to our team IF Davis dont pick it up before the end of the season !

Davis isn't going to pick it up before the end of the season whether it's his fault, the line's fault, or a combination. He just isn't getting the job done. He isn't our back of the future because he isn't a franchise type player. When Manning was struggling early in his career, James carried the offense. I think he'd be a good player for our young backs to learn from and develop behind.

I think davis is fine.. if not davis then hollings. And wells hasnt exactly been terrible either.

We dont need to spend money on a back.. we have enough good backs to keep us going.

besides.. edge isnt the type of back we would need if we were going to pick up a back. he isnt a big guy.

i dont see how you can count a guy out after ONE bad season ? Wasnt Carr hury quite a bit last season ? And we didnt just drop him, he got another chance and has done VERY well, so we should give davis another year before we get rid of him or sit him on the bench !

TexansTrueFan said:
i dont see how you can count a guy out after ONE bad season ? Wasnt Carr hury quite a bit last season ? And we didnt just drop him, he got another chance and has done VERY well, so we should give davis another year before we get rid of him or sit him on the bench !
David Carr also was given 3 to 4 years to grow since he played the most important position on the field and also indured 76 sacks his rookie season, Davis had a good rookie season and said he was going to get 2,000 yards. You can not compare the two...

Well, I don't ever claim to know what's going on but it seems like Davis must be having trouble with the zone blocking. Either that or the O-Line is having trouble doing it right. People usually aren't just a good RB one season and bad the next. Some of the best RBs all have extremely talented OLines that seem to be able to plug anyone in there. (Priest, All Viking RBs, All Denver RBs) Im not trying to take away from those guy do, but our line is featuring new starters are three positions AND trying to learn a new blocking scheme. Davis might not have the durability of a long term RB but I don't think he's just forgotten what to do.

We have yet to see what Hollings can do at 100%. He looked like a frickin' bullet last week compared to Dom and Wells. I want to see him get some more game snaps!

I think he'll end up in Miami. That's his home. I would imagine they'll go out to get him too.

WWJD said:
I think he'll end up in Miami. That's his home. I would imagine they'll go out to get him too.

But would he WANT to go there.. bad year for Miami this year with Marino taking off, Ricky Marley taking off, Wanny shown the door, worse start in quite a few years... eek:

... but money does speak pretty loudly.

Because it's his home. They'll have a new coach. He'll know he'll be the offensive guy. I don't think I've ever read where he has problems with Peyton or Harrison but it must be nice to know you're THE MAN.

It just all seems like a perfect fit to me. We'll see.

Fiddy said:
David Carr also was given 3 to 4 years to grow since he played the most important position on the field and also indured 76 sacks his rookie season, Davis had a good rookie season and said he was going to get 2,000 yards. You can not compare the two...

Sure you can compare the two. Primary reason for DC's problems in 2002--bad OL. Primary reason IMO for DD's problems this year--bad OL rush blocking. Now hopefully the blocking will pick up as the season goes on and the three guys new to the OL/position on the OL gel and as the unit gets better at the zone blocking. Viewing the games I don't understand how people can not see that the OL is not consistantly opening holes and that even when they do they are not getting the second level block on the LB's that is the key to the zone blocking scheme's success a busting runners out. Let's see, same RB (averaged 4.3 last year and 3.0 this year) with a new OL in a new blocking scheme--obviously the difference must be that the RB forgot how to run. But hey, it's always the RB's fault when the rushing game is poor, right?

WWJD said:
Because it's his home. They'll have a new coach. He'll know he'll be the offensive guy. I don't think I've ever read where he has problems with Peyton or Harrison but it must be nice to know you're THE MAN.

It just all seems like a perfect fit to me. We'll see.

He may come for a visit because of the playoff factor. Miami doesn't look to be improving anytime soon with those kind of QBs they have. But you gotta expect him to go to Miami because it is where he is from. Just like alot of our guys like playing for us because they grew up around here, so will he like playing for Miami.

Either way, he will be gone from our division and that is okay with me.

JackDizzle said:
We have yet to see what Hollings can do at 100%. He looked like a frickin' bullet last week compared to Dom and Wells. I want to see him get some more game snaps!
Casserly said he was likely out until after the Green Bay game. He was scheduled to get more snaps but he pulled his hamstring.

No way we go after Edge. He is on the backside of his career and will want too much money.

infantrycak said:
Sure you can compare the two. Primary reason for DC's problems in 2002--bad OL. Primary reason IMO for DD's problems this year--bad OL rush blocking. Now hopefully the blocking will pick up as the season goes on and the three guys new to the OL/position on the OL gel and as the unit gets better at the zone blocking. Viewing the games I don't understand how people can not see that the OL is not consistantly opening holes and that even when they do they are not getting the second level block on the LB's that is the key to the zone blocking scheme's success a busting runners out. Let's see, same RB (averaged 4.3 last year and 3.0 this year) with a new OL in a new blocking scheme--obviously the difference must be that the RB forgot how to run. But hey, it's always the RB's fault when the rushing game is poor, right?
Carr also didnt have a WR corps his rookie year.

Well, LT just rewrote the record books last year and from what I heard he couldnt get a hole. Everyone was saying during the summer that Davis was going to tear up the league this year and he was our Emmitt Smith and game breaking franchise back. A franchise back is suppose to oppose will on other teams and not be denied his 4 yards per carry. And as bad as a season he is having, Clinton Portis is averaging 4 yards a carry and the Skins are missing a couple of their starting offensive lineman and opposing defenses are stacking the box since Brunell hasnt done anything this year...

I bet E. James will be with the Colts next year. I read in the paper this morning that they will do EVERYTHING possible to keep both him and Harrison. If the Colts win the SB, they just might let him go, if not, they will find a way to keep him.

Sorry Vinny, but I don't know how to do links. There is a 3/4 page article about Dungy and the Colts in todays Chronicle, and they mention the fact that James and Harrison will both be free agents.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2897230

Links are easy with this software Sandy. All you need to do is right click and copy the address in your browser address window and paste them here. You don't need to do anything else. The software should see it as a link and convert it to a hyperlink without you doing anything more than just a copy n paste.

:)

Vinny said:
Casserly said he was likely out until after the Green Bay game. He was scheduled to get more snaps but he pulled his hamstring.

No way we go after Edge. He is on the backside of his career and will want too much money.

Even discounting the knee injury, Hollings has seems to have the little DomDavis in him in regards to staying healthy. 2nd or 3rd time this year with something.

yah if our RBs keep this up.. they will soon be getting million dollar endorsement contracts from Blue Cross/Blue Shield

Davis is good but I feel that there is better out there. You just dont see very many big plays from Davis as other keys backs in the NFL do.

LT is special. He does not needs holes, or offensive lineman for that matter. However he is one of a kind. I think the Texans will continue to build thru the draft and look ahead....not the kind of situation where you want to throw a lot of money at a back who is getting older and has had some injuries in the past.

Yeah, they can't hold James, Harrison, Peyton, Wayne, and the rest of the offense and expect their defense to improve.

But where did you get your source? It's hard to think that the Colts would let a guy like that go, especially now that he's performing after recovering from that big injury. I'd let a whole bunch of guys go before James.

I would love to see Edge on our team, however I don't see it happening. I'd rather see the Texans go after FA's on the Defensive side of the ball.

No disprespect to anyone who likes Davis, Wells, and Hollings, but there is a HUGE difference between James and backup running backs. James is a feature back, who can carry the load if he has to, and has the combination of all of our backs. Yes, it may be early to give up on our backs, but if you have the chance to increase your team, you do it, and in a big way. Take for example, if T.O. or Randy Moss was available and could afford them without hurting your team, would you wait for Bradford to continue developing, or Armstrong to continue or JG? I don't think so, if you can hit a home run, why play small ball with doubles! If James is interested, best believe, Charlie C and McNair will trip over their feet trying to get to bank and their check books! :coolb:

Back