Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

USA TODAY article on Glenn Earl

The Houston Texans believe they got a steal when cornerback Glenn Earl was still on the draft board in the fourth round.
Earl, who attended Notre Dame, likely would have been a first-round selection if not for tearing two ligaments in his left knee that sidelined him the final six games of his senior season. He worked on a limited basis during the Texans' rookie minicamp earlier this month.

"We feel extremely good about the pick," Texans coach Dom Capers said. "We're going to have to be patient. Our medical people have looked at Glenn's knee, and I think he is on the same type of schedule Tony Hollings was a year ago. As I spoke to Glenn today, he tells me he's doing well, and our medical people feel he's doing well. We think he has exceptional talent at that position in the draft."

The Texans selected Hollings in the supplemental draft last summer but used him sparingly during the season as he recovered from a torn ACL.

"It's been a grind," Earl said of his rehab. "I've been hitting it hard the last five months just to get my knee back to where it used to be. It's been a lot of hard work, but that's nothing new to me. My knee is feeling great. I'm very optimistic. I definitely see myself full-go come the season."

Earl has the size (6-1, 222 pounds), speed (4.61 in the 40-yard dash) and toughness to provide the Texans with the quality depth they are seeking in the secondary. Known as an explosive hitter and physical tackler, Earl could be yet another piece in the team's revamped puzzle on defense.

"As we moved into year three, we felt our greatest need was to try to improve our defense," Capers said. "As the draft started, our goal was to improve our pass coverage and pass rush."

NOTES, QUOTES, ANECDOTES

—Texans safety Marcus Coleman has more to deal with than just a change of positions this offseason.

Coleman, who was switched from cornerback to free safety last month, was charged with misdemeanor driving while intoxicated after damaging his car in the early morning hours May 6. He was booked into the city jail and later freed on $500 bond.

The Houston Police Department, meanwhile, has opened an internal affairs investigation into whether one of their officers gave Coleman special treatment, The Houston Chronicle reported.

—Wide receiver Toby Christensen, in rookie minicamp as a tryout, has some NFL pedigree. He is the son of former Oakland Raiders Pro Bowler Todd Christensen.

"I know his father was a great player," coach Dom Capers said. "Those bloodlines normally help because you've grown up around it and things don't seem quite as big to you as maybe to a young man that hasn't been around it."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "It's one of the toughest positions. It's physically challenging. Sometimes you're out there on an island." - Texans coach Dom Capers on first-round pick Dunta Robinson adjusting to being the starter at right cornerback.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (3): OT Jimmy Herndon; C Ben Lynch; RB Stacey Mack.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (not tendered offers): C Chris Lorenti.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (1): S Marlon McCree.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: None.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: CB Jason Bell; S Curry Burns; LB Travis Carroll; DE Jason Davis; DT Curry Dawson; DT Jerry DeLoach; LB Troy Evans; CB DeMarcus Faggins; TE Jabari Holloway; OT Garrick Jones; WR J.J. Moses; TE Matt Murphy; FB Moran Norris; LB Shantee Orr; LS Bryan Pittman; DE Corey Sears; CB Jason Simmons; DT Jeremy Slechta; CB Darrick Vaughn; DE Gary Walker; C Todd Washington.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED: TE Mark Bruener; LB DaShon Polk; DT Robaire Smith; OT Todd Wade.

PLAYERS LOST: FB Greg Comella; CB Pat Dennis; LB Steve Foley; TE Rashod Kent; DT Steve Martin; QB Mike Quinn; OT Greg Randall; S Matt Stevens.

MEDICAL WATCH: QB B.J. Symons, a seventh round pick from Texas Tech, went through abbreviated workouts during rookie minicamp while recovering from offseason ACL surgery; G Chavis Smith, signed as an undrafted free agent, failed his physical.

When I found out that he was a pre-season all-american, that really excited me. :woot: I mean, every one doest make that team, and usually the ones that make it, end up doing great, at least in college. If he comes back from the injury and is as good as he was in at the beginning of 2003, he could end up being a good NFL safety for years to come. :ninja:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
he was rated the second best safety in college behind Sean Taylor until his injury.

I thought Sean Jones was good, so when you when you have him ranked Earl ranked above him, he must be a hell of a player. :party:

Joe Texan said:
Wide receiver Toby Christensen, in rookie minicamp as a tryout, has some NFL pedigree. He is the son of former Oakland Raiders Pro Bowler Todd Christensen.

"I know his father was a great player," coach Dom Capers said. "Those bloodlines normally help because you've grown up around it and things don't seem quite as big to you as maybe to a young man that hasn't been around it."
That's pretty cool. I also remember that Todd Christensen was a pretty good announcer for NBC when they had the AFC games. He was much better than many of the lame guys the networks are using now.

kid sounds like a good risk....

Dunta likes to hit people too...

As long as we can maintain coverage, I'd love nothing more to see our secondary BLASTIN away when the opportunity presents itself. Run support, makin a guy pay over the mid, lay the wood. It all depends on the D-line though.

IMO a flat out NASTY secondary would be great.... (I wanna see blood)

Lucky said:
That's pretty cool. I also remember that Todd Christensen was a pretty good announcer for NBC when they had the AFC games. He was much better than many of the lame guys the networks are using now.
Ok, come clean. You really liked him because he used big words such as probabilistic, nomothetic, and empirical. :whistle:

To be honest, I always hated Todd Christenson as an announcer. I disagreed with him about 90% of the time. The guy may have had a wide vocabulary but he didn't bring good insight to the table IMO.

SteelBlue said:
nomothetic
I said that once and my mother made me wash my mouth with soap. :(

Edit: I'm not going to lie, I liked Dennis Miller on MNF, too. It was Michaels & Fouts freezing him out that ruined the broadcasts. Throw stones if you must.

Hey, I liked Todd Christensen too. I was just making a funny.

I'm not with TheOgre on this one...or most other issues if you look back far enough. :tiptoe: ;)

I liked Dennis Miller. I just knew he wouldn't last because too many of his comments few right over many viewer's heads.

The current team of Michaels and Madden though is awesome. Basically anyone is better than Dan Dierdorf.

I don't disagree with you on everything Vinny...I'm sure we could find one or two things we agree on. :popcorn: :fight: :popcorn:

I saw a Dierdorf broadcast not too long ago. He reminds of one of the muppets. I just can't hink which one. Anyway Glenn Earl is a great pick. I really think the Texans got the guys they wanted.

Back