Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

"UNOFFICIAL" Texans Vs Jaguars 2 Game Day Thread

There is no way you can say Savage is better now but Brock is better long term. Both are young, one is better and cheaper. No reason Tom can't get his fair shake now

Fair enough. But they paid Brock franchise money with Tom on the roster.

That's ob's mo and what i expect out of him. If oz trots out there to start next week im f#$&ing done with this team. I literally stood up and applauded alone in my house at the tv when savage came in. If ob didn't feel the surge from the fans and more importantly the team he has no buisness being a hc.

I agree, the team had an energy it had been lacking all season when Savage came in. We would of lost if Brock had stayed in the game.

Reactions: ROO
Savage should have carried one of the cheerleaders off the field on his shoulder, like Macho Man used to do with Miss Elizabeth.

Edit:

iovKeZq.png

Last edited:
Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL 2m2 minutes ago
Brock Osweiler 'The only thing that's on my mind is we won the football game'

Brock Osweiler 'as a competitor any time you don't play well of course there's disappointment. You feel like you let them down'

Brock Osweiler 'there was some miscommunication. I made a throw I should have never made. I completely understand why coach did what he did'

Brock Osweiler 'tom played a phenomenal game'

Osweiler on benching: "It didn't surprise me." #Texans

Brock Osweiler 'As a competitor it's very tough to get pulled out of a game'

DeAndre Hopkins on Tom Savage 'He knows this offense. It showed today. He did a great job'

DeAndre Hopkins on Jalen Ramsey matchup 'I love it.'

Lamar Miller said he tweaked his ankle

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith 4m4 minutes ago
Osweiler joking: "Unfortunately I've been down this road before."

Classy Osweiler postgame. "I just wanted to be there for Tom. ... I love being a Houston Texan."

Hopkins on Savage: "He did a great job of leading this team to victory." #Texans

patrick d. starr ‏@PatDStat
"I haven't had much time to think about it." Brock Osweiler on being pulled from the game. #Texans

People keep talking about paying Brock millions... If Savage does well and we make a decent playoff run the merchandise sold, ticket prices, ect should help make that up. As far as the salary cap we have to cut him and make it work and take a loss

People keep talking about paying Brock millions... If Savage does well and we make a decent playoff run the merchandise sold, ticket prices, ect should help make that up. As far as the salary cap we have to cut him and make it work and take a loss
After next season (year two of Brock Osweiler's Texans contract) there is a very cap friendly $6 million dead money cap hit. The Texans can easily digest that if they elect to release him after the 2017 season. So the Texans are actually in a good spot if they chose to end the Osweiler tenure only two years into the big contract. It's not a contract they can't get out of. Like Brian Cushing's contract, for example.

All I've wanted since preseason was competent QB play and we got it today. Do I think Savage is the long term answer? Probably not. But it was nice seeing our QB throw for more than 100 yards in a game and throwing past the sticks.

The Texans could go 0-16 and they would still be among the most profitable teams in the NFL. The money isn't the pressing issue like you are suggesting. They are usually the fourth richest NFL franchise, year in and year out, right behind the Cowboys, Redskins and Patriots.

What is the issue? Their salary cap... Paying a backup quarterback $72 million dollars hurts them from making other moves that can help the team win games. Let's say we didn't sign Brock Osweiler. We could have improved the team in other areas, during free agency, and simply had started Tom Savage back in Week 1 with Brandon Weeden backing him up, and let's say a rookie quarterback in the mix. Dak Prescott, for example, was a fourth-round selection we could have snagged as well.

And you can't release Brock Osweiler until after the 2017 season. After his second year here he has a very cap friendly $6 million dollar dead money cap hit. Until then we have to sit on his contract.

The Houston Texans are the fourth richest and most profitable team in the entire league. Business is A-okay for Mr. Bob McNair. Until that changes I don't see winning as a top priority. It's nice if we win but McNair is making amazing profit win or lose.

All I've wanted since preseason was competent QB play and we got it today. Do I think Savage is the long term answer? Probably not. But it was nice seeing our QB throw for more than 100 yards in a game and throwing past the sticks.

This season, even when we were 6-3, I didn't feel we were getting competent QB play. Today, I actually felt I was watching a competent NFL QB.

Even when you look at Savage's incomplete deep passes, you saw touch, you saw him putting air under the ball where the WRs could actually run to the ball.

No need to cut him next year. Just a high priced back up. And we still need to see Savage survive a season

Quarterback grade:Brock Osweiler, 42.4; Tom Savage, 73.6

Savage makes most of Osweiler benching

Sometimes you earn yourself a bit of luck. Where Osweiler was picked when throwing straight to a defender, Savage saw his errant throw dropped by Malik Jackson. But given the injection of life he provided the offense, you can forgive him that. The reason he’ll get the game ball is because, without Savage, the Texans don’t win this game. Whether it was stretching the field with a deep completion on his first drive, or just getting Hopkins more involved, he made plays that you just didn’t see Osweiler making. If anything shows the composure level of the twoquarterbacks, it was against the pass-rush. Over the four times that Osweiler was pressured, he recorded a 0.0 QB rating. For Savage, that number was 101.7.

Tom Savage versus pressure in Week 15
Screen-Shot-2016-12-18-at-5.47.02-PM.png

Top offensive grades:

LT Duane Brown, 84.4

WR DeAndre Hopkins, 77.5

FB Jay Prosch, 75.3

QB Tom Savage, 73.6

RG Oday Aboushi, 73.0

Offensive does enough to win, but doesn’t provide long-term confidence

Outside of the excellent Duane Brown shutting down one side of the Jaguars’ pass-rush, this wasn’t a unit that did a lot to make you think they’ll cause problems in the postseason. The introduction of Savage certainly drew the best out of Hopkins, but the line did not do enough to takeadvantage of Lamar Miller, and the reality is that without the Jaguars being so inept on offense to keep giving the Texans the ball back, they would not have been in position to win against a tired defense.

Top defensive grades:

S Quintin Demps, 86.7

OLB Jadeveon Clowney, 84.9

CB Kareem McKenzie, 81.5

LB Benardrick McKinney, 79.3

LB Brian Cushing, 77.9

Clowney delivers like a first overall pick should

Jadeveon Clowney may not have been the most valuable player in this game, but he was definitely in theconversation. Officially credited with two sacks (one will likely come back as a designed run), he ended the day with four defensive stops, a batted pass, and five total quarterback disruptions. He doesn’t always take full advantage of his physical prowess, but when he does, Clowney has the kind of explosion that has offensive blockers beat before they even realize what is happening. He’s finishing the season strong, and if the team is to make the playoffs, he’ll need continue performing at this level.

Sometimes you earn yourself a bit of luck. Where Osweiler was picked when throwing straight to a defender, Savage saw his errant throw dropped by Malik Jackson. But given the injection of life he provided the offense, you can forgive him that. The reason he’ll get the game ball is because, without Savage, the Texans don’t win this game. Whether it was stretching the field with a deep completion on his first drive, or just getting Hopkins more involved, he made plays that you just didn’t see Osweiler making. If anything shows the composure level of the twoquarterbacks, it was against the pass-rush. Over the four times that Osweiler was pressured, he recorded a 0.0 QB rating. For Savage, that number was 101.7.

Top offensive grades:

LT Duane Brown, 84.4

WR DeAndre Hopkins, 77.5

FB Jay Prosch, 75.3

QB Tom Savage, 73.6

RG Oday Aboushi, 73.0

Outside of the excellent Duane Brown shutting down one side of the Jaguars’ pass-rush, this wasn’t a unit that did a lot to make you think they’ll cause problems in the postseason. The introduction of Savage certainly drew the best out of Hopkins, but the line did not do enough to takeadvantage of Lamar Miller, and the reality is that without the Jaguars being so inept on offense to keep giving the Texans the ball back, they would not have been in position to win against a tired defense.
I thought Nick Novak was mighty valuable too.

Cz_ipG4UAAA3Vrb.jpg

Johnny Football leaving NRG today.

Whenever one of yall have some freetime, please explain to me wearing a jersey of a team not playing in that game. I can understand a game in Europe or something like that, but Johnny Freaking Football, come on.

Cz_ipG4UAAA3Vrb.jpg

Whenever one of yall have some freetime, please explain to me wearing a jersey of a team not playing in that game. I can understand a game in Europe or something like that, but Johnny Freaking Football, come on.
Probably his meth dealer.

Top offensive grades:

LT Duane Brown, 84.4

WR DeAndre Hopkins, 77.5

FB Jay Prosch, 75.3

QB Tom Savage, 73.6

RG Oday Aboushi, 73.0

I don't think that we can make the excuse that our Texans took advantage of a tired Jags defense because from the onset TS looked better against a plenty rested Jags defense. Outside of a blown TD opportunity in the deep redzone our offense did quite well against a more than formidable defense. I will say the running game when used late did improve against an obviously tired Jags defensive line.

Still, it looked like the offense was born today and if Savage gets the nod against the Bengals I can see us being much more competent from the opening drive all throughtout.

I still am puzzled by the way BO'b and GG call games but I think they may open up things a bit more with TS being the QB.

Cz_ipG4UAAA3Vrb.jpg

Aggie fanboy trying (&failing) to send a message

Dont like that uniform at all.
Prefer the all blue.
But if my new best friend Savage likes that uniform then I guess I'll have to learn to love it

I actually like them. I always use this combo when I play Madden. It's unique, and stands out from the rest. I am with you on the all blue, it's my favorite. :cool:

Every pass attempted by Tom Savage today:

Consider that he has only been practicing since Wednesday after missing two weeks.

I'm going to discuss this more in that terribly titled Savage thread.

Last edited:
Dont like that uniform at all.
Prefer the all blue.
But if my new best friend Savage likes that uniform then I guess I'll have to learn to love it
None of that really matters to me but I was kind of curious why they didn't go with red end zones. Especially considering the Texans don't seem to see the blue ones too well.

I just saw this by Bob Slovak == "I'm guessing it'll be Savage -- only because Osweiler is awful at playing quarterback. For what it's worth, Osweiler did at least pick up a #QBWin on Sunday, improving his career record to 13-8." == Does anyone know how a #QBWin is figured?

I just saw this by Bob Slovak == "I'm guessing it'll be Savage -- only because Osweiler is awful at playing quarterback. For what it's worth, Osweiler did at least pick up a #QBWin on Sunday, improving his career record to 13-8." == Does anyone know how a #QBWin is figured?

That's dumb considering we were getting stomped when he got benched.

That's dumb considering we were getting stomped when he got benched.

Not quite. When Brock threw the second INT that got him benched, the teams traded 5 punts and it was 6-0 after 9 possessions and 135 total yards between the two teams. This was a tallest midget/prettiest ugly girl game.

I'm assuming he got the win either because he was the starter, played the minimum time required, or was only trailing by X points at the time he was removed from the game. Wondering if it is some combination of these factors that determines QB wins.

Another shout out to the fans who didn't show up to the game. I heard on 790 that the tickets have been selling hard to get rid of too the last few home games. I thought it was odd that there were so many empty seats yesterday - I thought we were playing in Jacksonville. That's is a good way to show the Texans organization we are done with being mediocre results.

Just watched the Savage video. Dude looks like an NFL quarterback. Completed several passes while under duress, made some really pinpoint throws, was smooth and clean, he just looked damn good. Sure, he had a couple boo-boos, but what do you expect considering his minimal playing time?

Have never really been on the Savage bandwagon before, I actually liked Weeden better, but that video shows a lot of promise. Instead of a slow wind-up gangly goober acting spastic in the pocket, he looked like an NFL QB!!!!

Back