DE Brandon Casavan, Wyoming

OG Andrew Martin, Northern Colorado

DT Ifo Pili, BYU

WR/KR Kendrick Starling, San Diego State

OT Brad Lekkerkerker, Cal-Davis

OT Ryan Bachman, Nebraska-Kearney

OT/TE Andrew Martin, Northern Colorado

P Nathan McKinney, Appalachian State

anyone heard of any other udfa's we might be looking at or is there some udfa's your hopeing we're looking at?

BigTex

Noob
I havent got to looking yet but these are a few I know didn't get drafted, someone please correct me if they have been signed.

Josh Buhl SS - 5-11, - 205 - Kansas State (LB)
A Possible LB Switch to S. Josh Buhl has been a player I have watched for many years, he has a good stregnth and I think he has great potential to be a S in the NFL. Size is a concern when it comes to playing the LB spot of Buhl but I think a switch to S can correct everything.

Brandon Everage - FS - 6-0, - 194 - Oklahoma (S)
I haven't looked yet but Brandon Everage has to be signed. The Kid has some Off The Field issues a reason he didnt play in some of Oklahoma's big games, but he has great upside, and I think can be an elite saftey in the NFL given time.

Andrew Shull - DE - 6-5, - 265 - Kansas State
Last but not leats, Andrew Shull is the last player the pops into my head, as Buhl Shull has get upside potential. I have also watched Shull player throughout his career I think he is someone u can take a chance on sign him to the practice sqaud and give him a shot.

Well I don't know if any of those have been signed yet but those are 3 names that standout in my mind.

-^BigTex^-

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I was digging around for something on these guys and found this on D.J. Renteria. It's quite possible that many of you have already seen it but for anyone who hasn't I thought it was a good read. Not tremendously informative but I don't think you can read it and not like the guy. I hope he makes it.

D.J Renteria story in the Albuguerque Tribune

hound

Noob
To start with Martin is down there twice. He'll be a blocking TE. The DT's from BYU and New Mexico play a 3 down linemen defense so that gives them a head start. Brad Lekkerkerker is a great pick up. He's huge. About like Seth Wand. A little stiff, needs to improve his lower body strenght. Starling is super fast, but has a Randy Moss mind set. He ran an average 4.39 forty on his pro day... in football cleats and on grass. He returns also and is probably coming in for that. He didn't have a great vertical jump and he needs to get stronger. The other OT is 6'6" 300 pounds and is supposed to be really good at pass blocking.

hound

Noob
By looking at www.draftdaddy.com and www.nfl.com you can see which undrafted free agents are still there for the taking. I was curious which guys some of you would like to see picked up by the Texans... or perhaps you are just surprised no one has taken them.

cap1

Rookie
I honestly don't see any other UDFA left. Maybe the Texans might pick up another one or two, but I doubt it.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Still haven't see anything official from the Texans, but Ourlad's has the following college FA's on the depth chart:

Brad Lekkerkerker T Cal - Davis
Chavis Smith G Tennessee
Andrew Martin C Northern Colorado
Ryan Bachman T Kearney St
Tim Gale RB Northeastern

Because I care, here's Tim Gale's bio. Dude looks like a throwback from the leather helmet days.

keyfro

Veteran
casserly hasn't made any of them offical yet...waiting on him to announce them....hopefully he's signed some more DL for the team as well

hound

Noob
I believe DeMarco McNeil and Pugh both have injuries and that is the thing that kept them from being drafted. As I was writing the original string on this I had a player I was going to mention... but then I checked again and the guy was now gone.

Clarence Farmer seems like someone Houston might have brought in. He's from Houston and runs well between the tackles.

keyfro

Veteran
mcneil and pugh might have injuries but looking at our DL depth i would say it's reasonable to take a chance that one of them might turn into something good for us...unless of course the injury is serious

Vinny

shiny happy fan
My outlook on the line is not as gloomy.

Robaire Smith is a young player entering his prime. There are TONS of teams playing guys Walker's and Payne's age on the D-line, and we have no more chance of injury than anyone else does at that position (**players get hurt all the time in the NFL and come back fine). Deloach has started over 30 consecutive games and he is now our primary back up. We have young developing players in Sears and Iaone. I just do not see the need to worry so much. I feel we have a nice 5-6 man rotation right now, and are just in need of one body, imo. I'd like to see us sign one Veteran after the June 1 cuts.

This will not be Walkers last year, nor will it be Payne’s. Players get hurt all the time in the NFL. It does not mean it will happen to them again...."just because". We can still draft a lineman to develop next year. Our old guys aren't that old.

Even after undergoing 29 medical procedures that included 20 knee surgeries, Denver Broncos guard Mark Schlereth had some kind of run. Schlereth stuck around 12 NFL seasons spanning 156 games, won three Super Bowls, was voted to two Pro Bowls
schlereth

BigTex

Noob
I agree people say our D-Line is good But "OLD" i disagree WALKER is not that old at all, i mean he has a few years under the belt but he is still a very productive player who can make another ProBowl, Robaire is yonug and same thing for payne I think D-Line is good 4 now!

clandestin

Waterboy
SteelBlue said:
My outlook on the line is not as gloomy.

Robaire Smith is a young player entering his prime. There are TONS of teams playing guys Walker's and Payne's age on the D-line, and we have no more chance of injury than anyone else does at that position (**players get hurt all the time in the NFL and come back fine). Deloach has started over 30 consecutive games and he is now our primary back up. We have young developing players in Sears and Iaone. I just do not see the need to worry so much. I feel we have a nice 5-6 man rotation right now, and are just in need of one body, imo. I'd like to see us sign one Veteran after the June 1 cuts.

This will not be Walkers last year, nor will it be Payne’s. Players get hurt all the time in the NFL. It does not mean it will happen to them again...."just because". We can still draft a lineman to develop next year. Our old guys aren't that old.

schlereth
I agree, I think we fans are a little bit gun shy after our injury problems last year (not that I blame anyone for it.) I wish I had more insight into why we let Steve Martin go unsigned, when I think about the type of player I'd like to add at the June 1st cuts he's pretty much it. Thought the same thing about Ryan Young though, so I'll have to defer to CC on this one.

oh and Sears is 2 years older then payne, so he's not exactly "young and developing" ;)

Vinny

shiny happy fan
clandestin said:
oh and Sears is 2 years older then payne, so he's not exactly "young and developing" ;)
Wow, I had always assumed he was younger for some reason. Come to think of it I may not have ever even looked at his profile. Thanks

pittbull

Rookie
I'm trying to find out what happen to Lousaka Pollite. This guy was a monster fB at the univeristy of Pittsburgh. Everyone had him listed as the 2nd or 3rd best Fb, but hasn't picked up a team yet. Whoever gets him will be lucky. Hard worker, smart, and can play the game. I would love to see him in a Texans uni, but I just hope the guy gets a chance.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
clandestin said:
True, but Payne is entering his 8th year in the league (6th as a starter) and Sears is entering his 6th (and has only been a starter due to injury).

keyfro

Veteran
casserly and the texans made it official today these are the nine udfa's we've signed:

OT Ryan Bachman (Kearney State)
DE Brandon Casavan (Wyoming)
FB Tim Gale (Northeastern)
OT Brad Lekkerkerker (UC-Davis)
C Andrew Martin (Northern Colorado)
NT Ifo Pili (BYU)
DE D.J. Renteria (New Mexico)
G Chavis Smith (Tennessee)
WR Kendrick Starling (San Jose State).

and we will be working out these five:

WR Toby Christensen (BYU)
WR Chris Coleman (Alabama State)
G Brandon Evans (Houston)
P Nate McKinney (Appalachian State)
DE Bryce Wyatt (LSU).

all in all a pretty nice list...some very good small school players...renteria is one of the more attractive prospects to us since he's played in a 3-4 style defense throughout his college career...hopefully some of these guys make the team and push the other players harder

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
A fix on the Brandon Casavan link.

Ifo looks like your typical stay-at-home, tie-up-blockers version of NT. If he can accomplish that on the pro level, we might have a backup nose after all. Like most BYU draftees, Pili is a little older than most rookies. Redshirted & went on a Morman mission, he's 7 years removed from his HS graduation.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Thanks for the fix Lucky. Everyone wanted a NT in the first round this year for some reason. I'm glad we took a cornerback. NT's can be developed. Heck, Payne was a late pick when he was a rook. He developed just fine.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I think Walker was also second rounder and Smith was a late rounder too and look where they ended up. I aint going to lie though, I really wanted Sopoaga but hey we got some good DBs and our DLine was and will be addressed in FA.

keyfro

Veteran
i looked up chavis smith on the nfl.com website to see his stats at the combine here they are:

5.33 in the 40-yard dash … 475-pound bench press … 600-pound squat … 325-pound power clean … 33½-inch arm length … 9¾-inch hands.

may not be the fastest gaurd but might be one of the strongest

done88

Waterboy
Looks like of the none theTexans recieved the guard out of Kansa has the most upside. How many lineman do you think the Texans will carry next year? Will Wand stat in the near future. Is Wand making as much progress as the Texans would like? :party:

texasduece

Practice Squad
I was glad to see this guy hope he is able to help us!

Ifo Pili Nose Tackle BYU

95 Ifo Pili Defensive Tackle Brigham Young
Year: Sr Height: 6-3 Weight: 325 40: 5.05 Hometown: Orem, UT
Positives: Ifo is a massive force in the middle of BYU's 3-4 defense. He is extremely effective in his role as a NT. He does not get moved off the line of scrimmage. He is really strong, especially in his lower body. He uses his hands well and plays the run very well. He has better than average feet for a man his size. His best attribute is keeping blockers off of the linebackers. He absorbs blocks.

Negatives: Ifo is not extremely quick. He is not a good pass rusher; doesn't collapse the pocket very well. He also does not have great endurance and will need to be part of a tackle rotation in the NFL. Needs to do a better job pursuing the play and moving down the line of scrimmage laterally.

Bottom Line: Ifo is an effective run stopper and keeps blockers from getting to the second level. Look for Ifo to go in rounds 5-6.

keyfro

Veteran
well renteria is actually a DE for us...the NT position battle this training camp will be between pili, ioane, and slechta...deloach of course is the first back-up for all three positions

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Right now the team is listing Slechta and Robaire Smith as DT's and Renteria as a DE.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
OK, my bad, I thought I had read somewhere that Renteria had NT experience with a college that ran a three man front.

X

xxx

Out of all the free agents, Casavan has the most potential. He had his redshirt pulled his true freshmen year, and only got to play two seasons at his natural position(DE). If he would have had a redshirt season, and would have had the oppurtunity to play DE his whole college career, he would have been first team all conference at least twice, IMO. He possesses really good spead for someone his size along with good strength

Vinny

shiny happy fan
NT's don't have to be big and fat to be effective. Seth Payne is barely 300 pounds himself.