Support and keep Texans Talk going. Make a donation here.

Tytus Howard given 5th year

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

Mild surprise for me, so I thought it thread worthy

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's not my money, but I would spend this money elsewhere in FA. Howard has done nothing to deserve the 5th yr option. Of course I have a different opinion of Howard than most here do. Cant wait to see what injury he gets next yr. You cant depend on him.

Texian

Hall of Fame
It's not my money, but I would spend this money elsewhere in FA. Howard has done nothing to deserve the 5th yr option. Of course I have a different opinion of Howard than most here do. Cant wait to see what injury he gets next yr. You cant depend on him.
Just another case of the Texans failing to prepare and plan for more than the season at hand.

michaelm

vox nihili
I'm hopeful that Lovie and Pep won't shuffle the OL incessantly like in the past, and set a freaking starting five and let them get some cohesiveness.
I think the addition of Green, some positional consistency, and a simplified scheme can help this line to be at the very least, solid this season.

Cautiously optimistic

michaelm

vox nihili
Just another case of the Texans failing to prepare and plan for more than the season at hand.
Just another case of you misstating facts.
Howard is signed through 2023, so that in itself is for more than "the season at hand".

Tunsil signed through 2023.
Britt signed through 2023
Cann signed through 2023
Heck signed through 2023
Green rookie contract
Deculus rookie contract

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The plan should've been to let him walk and use that money in FA next offseason. Then either draft a RT or go with Heck. Obviously they feel differently about Howard than I do. They're the professionals and I hope they're right, I hope they dont have to learn the hard way. This is a Warhop call.

welsh texan

All Pro
He’s been a victim of poor coaching from the outset. His rookie season they were moving him around trying to make him versatile. The OL coaching under OB was awful. Campen last season didn’t manage to turn it around.
Hopefully Warhop with some investment in Green next door to him will be good.

2 years left of his rookie deal and he’s not a lost cause, yet.

Toro Bravo

Waterboy
He’s been a victim of poor coaching from the outset. His rookie season they were moving him around trying to make him versatile. The OL coaching under OB was awful. Campen last season didn’t manage to turn it around.

Agreed, as well as a pitiful offensive scheme. Provide him with good coaching, a good offensive scheme and leave in the same position the entire year and we will see what he really is.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Just another case of you misstating facts.
Howard is signed through 2023, so that in itself is for more than "the season at hand".

Tunsil signed through 2023.
Britt signed through 2023
Cann signed through 2023
Heck signed through 2023
Green rookie contract
Deculus rookie contract
That still looks kind of alarming. But we knew when Caserio came in and started signing guys on one- or two-year contracts that there would be big turnover for a couple or more years. That's how much damage Easterby and O'Brien did.

Texian

Hall of Fame
The plan should've been to let him walk and use that money in FA next offseason. Then either draft a RT or go with Heck. Obviously they feel differently about Howard than I do. They're the professionals and I hope they're right, I hope they dont have to learn the hard way. This is a Warhop call.
He must have 34" arms.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

I dunno but you seem to think that the rookie Green will play RG next to Tytus instead of playing LG next to Tunsil ?
Sure about that ?

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
AJ Cann has been a RG, Green played most snaps at LG. I would suspect they start Tunsil, Green, Britt, Cann, and Howard as the mix they want to see first. Let Heck be swing and Deculous can start learning guard. Morrissey backup center. No reason to play guys out of position
Didn't Tytus mostly play RT in his last year of college because his team featured a southpaw @ QB ?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
What I don't get is, Kenyon Green never struggled playing LG, RG, RT or LT, but yet the excuse for Howard is he's been move around too much? Both Texan First Round Picks.

One thing I do know is Howard will be much better playing RT with Green playing RG.

Can you say the same thing about Tunsil?

Therein may lie your answer

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What I don't get is, Kenyon Green never struggled playing LG, RG, RT or LT, but yet the excuse for Howard is he's been move around too much? Both Texan First Round Picks.

One thing I do know is Howard will be much better playing RT with Green playing RG.

Can you say the same thing about Tunsil?

Therein may lie your answer
If Tunsil is better then you have an all pro player. Would you consider that to be a good thing? BTW, Everybody says Howard isn't a LG (I agree) so do you think playing Howard next to Tunsil could've made Tunsil look worse than he really is? After seeing how Caserio made moves this offseason, this appears to be Caserio's line of thinking.