Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tunsil - Thoughts after week 5

Scooter

Funky
The fact that you think you saw more out of Charles Spencer than you've seen out of Tunsil says it all. Not that it's a be all end all but you should go check out PFF's OT ratings.

If you consider Tunsil worth a 1st and he is, then they really only gave up an extra 1st to get him. Not two 1sts.

I also think they found out pretty quickly in TC that Howard was a RT. They started him off at LG to get him some experience and the plan was to move him to RT eventually. That plan got sped up do to Henderson's suckage.
The fact that I've said the same since 2006 means that I think Spencer was next level, and I'm not the only one.

Fine, we spent a first on Tunsil, and another first on his mithril jersey.

They started Howard at LG and RG and RT and everywhere else on the line in spite of being the second lineman taken in the draft. You don't get to "that was the plan all along" by playing someone at the wrong position with our history ... unless it fits your narrative instead of reality.

I have no qualms against Tunsil, he's really good and am glad he's on our team. My only problem, and will continue to be, is how he got here. But, the detractors get a free pass now with Howard's injury.

LikeMike

Veteran
I have been looking at some PFF overall grades for some LT. Of the 10 top rated Madden ones, Tunsil has the second best grade behind Smith - that is not a complete list, a random check showed, that Castonzo is better than both of them for example, but it shows, that Tunsil has been playing real good for us, compared to the other top LTs. I would say we can be very happy with him...

Dejaview

All Pro
The fact that I've said the same since 2006 means that I think Spencer was next level, and I'm not the only one.

Fine, we spent a first on Tunsil, and another first on his mithril jersey.

They started Howard at LG and RG and RT and everywhere else on the line in spite of being the second lineman taken in the draft. You don't get to "that was the plan all along" by playing someone at the wrong position with our history ... unless it fits your narrative instead of reality.

I have no qualms against Tunsil, he's really good and am glad he's on our team. My only problem, and will continue to be, is how he got here. But, the detractors get a free pass now with Howard's injury.
So you get a free pass. Good.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
10.Laremy Tunsil,Houston Texans
The Texans traded for Tunsil to lock down their left tackle spot on the offensive line and he has done just that. He allowed two sacks and three hurries in Week 1, but since then he hasn’t allowed a single sack or hit, and allowed just three hurries on 164 pass-blocking snaps. He has really stood out the past two weeks especially, allowing zero pressure on 86 pass-blocking snaps in that span.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-offensive-linemen-rankings-through-week-5
I dunno this may have been posted earlier.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
10.Laremy Tunsil,Houston Texans
The Texans traded for Tunsil to lock down their left tackle spot on the offensive line and he has done just that. He allowed two sacks and three hurries in Week 1, but since then he hasn’t allowed a single sack or hit, and allowed just three hurries on 164 pass-blocking snaps. He has really stood out the past two weeks especially, allowing zero pressure on 86 pass-blocking snaps in that span.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-offensive-linemen-rankings-through-week-5
I dunno this may have been posted earlier.
Interesting that the 2nd rated guard and center are former Texans.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Interesting that the 2nd rated guard and center are former Texans.
I agree with Baldy on Tunsil #1 if you take out the 1st game.

The Jags/Bills games Jones wasn't very good.

Brooks has been a stud and deserves his ranking.

Incognito has been a stud this yr.

Wonder where Martin is in the center rankings? He's been much better this yr with better talent around him.

Last edited:

Texas Jake

Rookie
Kinda like Clowney
Most here have been very concerned about when Clowney's knee finally explodes. This may have been a big reason they didn't want to invest big money, long term like it would have taken to keep him. If this was the case, Gaine should have traded early, which didn't happen and by the time the Texans moved him, they were at an extreme disadvantage. I wonder how the Clowney situation played into Gaine getting a pink slip?

Looking back, from a post Gaine/post Smith perspective, I think O'Brien wants a GM who will be aggressive in getting players in the off-season. In my opinion his issue with Smith was that he was getting the wrong type of players and didn't have a plan (or a much different one than O'Brien). I think his problem with Gaine was he was two timid in free agency. We see how aggressive O'Brien has been (many would say too aggressive) without a GM in place.

Texas Jake

Rookie
When we traded for Tunsil, I thought we paid too much and I thought BOB was out of control. After I have had time to think about it and followed the discussion, I think it was expensive, but worth it. Lets face it, to move up in the draft high enough to get a comparable LT would cost us two first round picks and you have no guarantee how that pick will pan out. And if you think we could get a comparable LT in free agency, then you are fooling yourself. Really good LTs never make it to FA; the ones that do are second and third tier. This trade may have laid the ground work for us to become a legitimate contender for many years.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
When we traded for Tunsil, I thought we paid too much
If all we got was Laremy Tunsil I would think we gave up too much. But we also got Stills & a 2020 4th.

As a package it works. So if we get two firsts for Tunsil, retain Miami's 2020 1st & Stills, we come out ahead.

Yes we'd still be missing a LT. I don't think our line this year with Howard or RodJohnson at LT would look as bad as wedid last year. The rest of the line had been upgraded apart from Laremy Tunsil.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I wish someone would tell our HC and OC that Tunsil is a good LT and we should run behind him and Sharping instead of behind a mediocre center like Martin or behind a RT they picked up last week from the Patriots' practice squad.
Does anyone know what the success ratio has been for running Duke Johnson between the guards?

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
If all we got was Laremy Tunsil I would think we gave up too much. But we also got Stills & a 2020 4th.

As a package it works. So if we get two firsts for Tunsil, retain Miami's 2020 1st & Stills, we come out ahead.

Yes we'd still be missing a LT. I don't think our line this year with Howard or RodJohnson at LT would look as bad as wedid last year. The rest of the line had been upgraded apart from Laremy Tunsil.
You actually think that some team out there would trade us two first round picks again for Tunsil? Did I read that correctly?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
So "Jumpy" Laremy Tunsil had another what 2 false starts? One more in the red zone? SMH. How many is that so far 9 or 10 penalties?

Two. First. Round. Picks.

But hey JaDeveon Clowney was so beloved around here that nobody gave him a hard time for his infractions. Call it a wash.

Tunsil run blocking is dumpster juice too. He's a one trick pony, but thank goodness he's the best at that one trick.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tunsil is good but yeah that price is too much. Just having an elite LT doesn't make your offensive line good automatically.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So "Jumpy" Laremy Tunsil had another what 2 false starts? One more in the red zone? SMH. How many is that so far 9 or 10 penalties?

Two. First. Round. Picks.

But hey JaDeveon Clowney was so beloved around here that nobody gave him a hard time for his infractions. Call it a wash.

Tunsil run blocking is dumpster juice too. He's a one trick pony, but thank goodness he's the best at that one trick.
Clowney doesn't play here anymore

Get those panties out of a wad.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Hey Unc I miss Clowney myself but it's time for us to get over it now. He's gone and yea Billy Boy got a mere pittance for JDC, it was an insult for
how little he got for such a capable 26 year-old NFL edge stud.
Shake it off, time to move on.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Hey Unc I miss Clowney myself but it's time for us to get over it now. He's gone and yea Billy Boy got a mere pittance for JDC, it was an insult for

An insult? An insult to who? Certainly not Clowney because he got exactly what he wanted. Reports were they were going to sent him to Miami as part of the Tunsil trade, and maybe save us one of those 1sts people keep complaining about, but he didn’t want to go there.

Texans had two choices then either make him play on the tag or trade him to the team he wanted for whatever they were offering. They chose to trade him, maybe BoB really didn’t like him that much, maybe he was trying to do a solid for Clowney, maybe he felt it was good value. I don’t know but whatever the reason they traded Clowney to his hand picked team despite what it would cost them.

Personally I would have made him play on the tag then run him into the ground like a rental car but then I’m vindictive that way. So I’m not sure who he insulted but it certainly wasn’t Clowney.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I second this.

STFU about Clowney already, Dude is gone and aint coming back. Talk about relevant things that the team can do moving forward. Good luck to Clowney and wherever he goes.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
An insult? An insult to who? Certainly not Clowney because he got exactly what he wanted. Reports were they were going to sent him to Miami as part of the Tunsil trade, and maybe save us one of those 1sts people keep complaining about, but he didn’t want to go there.

Texans had two choices then either make him play on the tag or trade him to the team he wanted for whatever they were offering. They chose to trade him, maybe BoB really didn’t like him that much, maybe he was trying to do a solid for Clowney, maybe he felt it was good value. I don’t know but whatever the reason they traded Clowney to his hand picked team despite what it would cost them.

Personally I would have made him play on the tag then run him into the ground like a rental car but then I’m vindictive that way. So I’m not sure who he insulted but it certainly wasn’t Clowney.
I doubt that JD Clowney could care less if the Texans got a third rounder or two first round picks for him. He just wanted out of town, which he got.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I doubt that JD Clowney could care less if the Texans got a third rounder or two first round picks for him. He just wanted out of town, which he got.
He actually didn't which is the sad part.

At least we got two guys named Bark and Mingo

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Which comes back to the question, an insult to who? I agree he didn’t care what they got for him but if he just wanted out of town he would have gone to Miami. Still would have made his ass play every down this year if I was BoB.

Uncle Rico

He actually didn't which is the sad part.

At least we got two guys named Bark and Mingo
LOL its really a marvel to see how guys spin things around here in order to suit the preferred debate. So now JD Clowney "wanted out of town" and "got what he wanted" LMAOOO really? Is that where this board is at in terms of facts and actual occurrences? Do we need to start barking out "fake post"??

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/seattle-seahawks-jadeveon-clowney-opens-up-on-his-exit-from-the-houston-texans/

"I Thought I Was Going to be in Houston"
its a shame how far some guys will go to diminish and crap on players who have left, or who in this case were kicked off the team practically. To have guys further the ignorance by saying Clowney "should have accepted the trade to Miami and save us a 1st round pick" is just asinine, and has not grasp on human relations and how upper management and symbiotic relationships work. Just more excuses for why O'Brien is the next coming of Vince Lombardi for "them".

Funny thing is that as close as all of the games have been this year, how far the run defense has dropped, how far the rush has dropped, and overall defensive play, one could argue that having Jadeveon Clowney on this team could have been the difference from a 4-3 record and a 5-2 record.

You guys who dont like to listen about Clowney and get continually reminded how your great coach botched yet another personnel move can ignore me and save yourself the stress because I will not stop bringing up the comparisons, or you know complain to the Mods since they do such a good job of keeping this place clean and have them move the post.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
LOL its really a marvel to see how guys spin things around here in order to suit the preferred debate. So now JD Clowney "wanted out of town" and "got what he wanted" LMAOOO really? Is that where this board is at in terms of facts and actual occurrences? Do we need to start barking out "fake post"??

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/seattle-seahawks-jadeveon-clowney-opens-up-on-his-exit-from-the-houston-texans/

its a shame how far some guys will go to diminish and crap on players who have left, or who in this case were kicked off the team practically. To have guys further the ignorance by saying Clowney "should have accepted the trade to Miami and save us a 1st round pick" is just asinine, and has not grasp on human relations and how upper management and symbiotic relationships work. Just more excuses for why O'Brien is the next coming of Vince Lombardi for "them".

Funny thing is that as close as all of the games have been this year, how far the run defense has dropped, how far the rush has dropped, and overall defensive play, one could argue that having Jadeveon Clowney on this team could have been the difference from a 4-3 record and a 5-2 record.

You guys who dont like to listen about Clowney and get continually reminded how your great coach botched yet another personnel move can ignore me and save yourself the stress because I will not stop bringing up the comparisons, or you know complain to the Mods since they do such a good job of keeping this place clean and have them move the post.

Its time to STFU about Clowney, because he isn't here and all you're doing is trolling the board with this ad hominem nonsense.

You're just looking for reasons to ***** and saying the same things over and over that everyone already knows how you feel, but nothing is going to change. There isn't a single person on this board arguing that it was a great trade and no one is even arguing about that, yet you just want to spew about it in every football thread as if it is going to somehow bring Clowney back to this roster.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Its time to STFU about Clowney, because he isn't here and all you're doing is trolling the board with this ad hominem nonsense.

You're just looking for reasons to ***** and saying the same things over and over that everyone already knows how you feel, but nothing is going to change. There isn't a single person on this board arguing that it was a great trade and no one is even arguing about that, yet you just want to spew about it in every football thread as if it is going to somehow bring Clowney back to this roster.
Its not about Clowney to them. Kdog was talking in another thread about how we should regret getting rid of Colvin even though he was pretty much to blame for the saints game. Its just like how they won't admit that Tunsil has greatly improved the roster and yes was worth two 1sts. Its all about the anti-Bill O'Brien agenda as if anyone actually cares. For Kdog and Rico BoB could win the SB and they would go on about how now he has screwed the team because those players will all want high dollar contracts after winning and will go to other teams. Its not about facts or discussion, its about the narrative.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Its not about Clowney to them. Kdog was talking in another thread about how we should regret getting rid of Colvin even though he was pretty much to blame for the saints game. Its just like how they won't admit that Tunsil has greatly improved the roster and yes was worth two 1sts. Its all about the anti-Bill O'Brien agenda as if anyone actually cares. For Kdog and Rico BoB could win the SB and they would go on about how now he has screwed the team because those players will all want high dollar contracts after winning and will go to other teams. Its not about facts or discussion, its about the narrative.
I didn't say Tunsil was bad, I said we overpaid.

I didn't say colvin was good, but that's it's dumb to cut a guy when we have no replacement for him and are now playing guys worse than him

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Its all about the anti-Bill O'Brien agenda as if anyone actually cares.
I'm anti-O'Brien but I love getting Tunsil, Stills, Hyde, Johnson, & Conley.

I'm not a big fan about how we went about getting them but I think it's way to early to complain about it.

I didn't like the situation we were in. Like this situation a bit better.

LikeMike

Veteran
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-data-study-finding-the-best-young-tackles-in-the-nfl

I am not a subscriber to pff so I can't read the whole article, but reading that Tunsil has the best pass blocking grade since after week 1 (and the second best if you include week 1) sounds pretty good to me. He should reduce his false starts when he gets more comfortable in the offense and with the timing of Watson. Well worth the price and the extension, which will make him the best paid LT in the league...

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I will take being the league leader in false starts with no sacks vs bring the league leader in giving up sacks with no false starts.
Last season Davenport wasn't far off the league leader in both! Joint 2nd most penalised OL in the league with 12 (Moses of Washington had 14).
Rivers McCown charted him at fault for 11 sacks.

God knows what the combined "LT" figure was.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Laremy Tunsil updated PFF run block grade = 71.6!

Cut down the penalties!!
What are you trying to say here? Tunsil isn't doing a good/great job? Watson is being protected well and I'm sure the penalties will go down as Tunsil and the OL plays together more.

Uncle Rico

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-stats-to-know-week-8-2019

11. AFTER A TOUGH WEEK 1, LAREMY TUNSIL IS SHINING ON THE TEXANS’ LINE
Five pressures surrendered in Week 1 didn’t deter Laremy Tunsil from finding his groove this season. In his past four games, Tunsil has allowed a single quarterback hurry on 180 pass-blocking snaps. And in Week 7, his no-pressures-allowed performance earned an elite 90.3 pass-blocking grade.
His biggest deficiency coming into this trade was run blocking. He has steadily improved in that department to where he is today. His pass blocking has never been in question. Getting flagged for 7 false starts has nothing to do with continuity with his linemates, maybe with QB cadence, but ultimately it just comes down to Tunsil being more focused. 2 of those false starts happened in the red zone, with one nullifying a potential TD.

He's getting there.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-stats-to-know-week-8-2019

His biggest deficiency coming into this trade was run blocking. He has steadily improved in that department to where he is today. His pass blocking has never been in question. Getting flagged for 7 false starts has nothing to do with continuity with his linemates, maybe with QB cadence, but ultimately it just comes down to Tunsil being more focused. 2 of those false starts happened in the red zone, with one nullifying a potential TD.

He's getting there.
Look at Devlin go!