Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tunsil - Thoughts after week 5

People can complain about Tunsil's run blocking and looking at only him, they might have a point.
But over all the run game has been effective, so I'm not worried specifically about that one player's run blocking ability.
Pass pro is also improved overall.

I just can't nit pick on a player by player basis when the end result has been improvement in both facets of the OL, and seems likely that they can improve more as the season progresses

Tunsil ...He should reduce his false starts when he gets more comfortable in the offense and with the timing of Watson.

I tried looking up his penalties from last year, but couldn't. I did find his penalties from 2017, didn't look good.

This may not be something he can work out of.

People can complain about Tunsil's run blocking and looking at only him, they might have a point.
But over all the run game has been effective, so I'm not worried specifically about that one player's run blocking ability.
Pass pro is also improved overall.

I just can't nit pick on a player by player basis when the end result has been improvement in both facets of the OL, and seems likely that they can improve more as the season progresses

Agreed but...

Pre snap penalties are bs. If he could just average 1 false start per game vs 2 I'd be happy.

An insult? An insult to who? Certainly not Clowney because he got exactly what he wanted. Reports were they were going to sent him to Miami as part of the Tunsil trade, and maybe save us one of those 1sts people keep complaining about, but he didn’t want to go there.

Texans had two choices then either make him play on the tag or trade him to the team he wanted for whatever they were offering. They chose to trade him, maybe BoB really didn’t like him that much, maybe he was trying to do a solid for Clowney, maybe he felt it was good value. I don’t know but whatever the reason they traded Clowney to his hand picked team despite what it would cost them.

Personally I would have made him play on the tag then run him into the ground like a rental car but then I’m vindictive that way. So I’m not sure who he insulted but it certainly wasn’t Clowney.

To the bold - I probably would have done the same thing. The issue there is that he likely doesn't show up until he has to which was week 7 or 8 to get credit for the full season …

To the bold - I probably would have done the same thing. The issue there is that he likely doesn't show up until he has to which was week 7 or 8 to get credit for the full season …

I wanted to wait on him. We got peanuts in our trade. When he does finally play he goes all out for a new contract. We shouldve rode him like a mule.

Overall, after a few more weeks, what is everyone thinking of our new tweaked up offensive line. I for one am very excited about the ceiling. They had a bad game against the Ravens but have been very stout for the most part.

The Tunsil trade was absolutely the right move. Watson has played and stayed upright far more during the season. As the unit continues to gel, I see it becoming a cornerstone of the team for years and years. The Texans have been searching for a line with this type of potential for years, and now they may be ready to harness it...

Overall, after a few more weeks, what is everyone thinking of our new tweaked up offensive line. I for one am very excited about the ceiling. They had a bad game against the Ravens but have been very stout for the most part.

The Tunsil trade was absolutely the right move. Watson has played and stayed upright far more during the season. As the unit continues to gel, I see it becoming a cornerstone of the team for years and years. The Texans have been searching for a line with this type of potential for years, and now they may be ready to harness it...
We should be getting better results by now with the talent that's there. Everything points to a scheme problem to me when talented players aren't getting results. Theme of the team.

Tunsil has been a great addition, but I won't consider this a win unless one of the following happens:

1. We make it to a AFCCG this season or the next.
2. We extend Tunsil.

If Tunsil walks in 2022, and we got no team success out of it, then I'll consider the trade a bust. With that being said, I expect Tunsil will be extended this coming off-season.

Tunsil has been a great addition, but I won't consider this a win unless one of the following happens:

1. We make it to a AFCCG this season or the next.
2. We extend Tunsil.

If Tunsil walks in 2022, and we got no team success out of it, then I'll consider the trade a bust. With that being said, I expect Tunsil will be extended this coming off-season.

yes, i fully expect the Texans to sign Tunsil to a contract extension. I would anticipate the Texans don’t alienate him in any which way. But this trade should not have been seen as a rental, it’s for a 10 year franchise left tackle. And if he doesn’t get resigned, this is a colossal blunder, of epic NFL historic proportions.

So you know I hate to nitpick our players, especially the ones making a lot of money, but look at this with me. Start at 1:08

This is an RPO. What is LT doing?

I get it, looks like he wants to block someone... he's a LT, blocking people is his job. I get it. But this play is an RPO. If he is able to engage with the defender like he appears to want to, it's a penalty. He's already 3 yards beyond the LOS. Shouldn't he just slide to his left & wait for the defender to engage him?

It's not like he's trying to stay in front of the runner with what he is doing.

So you know I hate to nitpick our players, especially the ones making a lot of money, but look at this with me. Start at 1:08

This is an RPO. What is LT doing?

I get it, looks like he wants to block someone... he's a LT, blocking people is his job. I get it. But this play is an RPO. If he is able to engage with the defender like he appears to want to, it's a penalty. He's already 3 yards beyond the LOS. Shouldn't he just slide to his left & wait for the defender to engage him?

It's not like he's trying to stay in front of the runner with what he is doing.
That was not great lol

It looks like he's assigned to block Leonard no matter what the cost

This is the reason the RPO's work in college but not so much in the NFL. Different rules
It would work fine here if he slides to his left, the motion of the run, & not step forward... or in this case, three steps forward. If he is doing what he is told to do, then once again we have to question what the heck Devlin is doing.

Who do you guys think was better at this point of their careers, Duane Brown or Tunsil?

I remember watching Brown in his 5th year, just entering his prime, I was thinking... he will eventually be the best tackle in football. He was so dominant in both aspects of the game, pass pro and run blocking.

I see the talent in Tunsil, but once in a while, you see him get beat by an edge rusher (which I very very rarely saw from Duane). He's also very mediocre in run blocking. Now there's a very very good chance Tunsil hasn't reached his full potential yet, because of Devlin. I'm holding onto that hope.

What are the chances this is a fake, to sell the run more? I doubt it, but wondering.
It's an RPO. When the ball is snapped, no one on the OL knows if Watson is going to throw it, or keep it. He starts off running to the Left (I loved seeing that he's been keeping it more often on the RPO & at least starting to run... move the pocket & lets the defense know, he can still run it).

Had Watson kept it the entire time & turned it upfield, that's ok. no problem. Tunsil is blocking (except he whiffed) like he should.

But Watson didn't. He stopped & threw it. It is now a passing play & you can not block past one yard on a passing play.

Tunsil, imo, needs to know this. He should not be firing off the line three yards on an RPO. A zone read, yes... & maybe it was supposed to be a zone read & Watson changed his mind.... so you're right (I just talked myself into it). He might have been doing what he was supposed to.

Who do you guys think was better at this point of their careers, Duane Brown or Tunsil?

I remember watching Brown in his 5th year, just entering his prime, I was thinking... he will eventually be the best tackle in football. He was so dominant in both aspects of the game, pass pro and run blocking.

I see the talent in Tunsil, but once in a while, you see him get beat by an edge rusher (which I very very rarely saw from Duane). He's also very mediocre in run blocking. Now there's a very very good chance Tunsil hasn't reached his full potential yet, because of Devlin. I'm holding onto that hope.

Tunsil is better than DB was at pass pro, although DB was very good.

DB was a great run blocker. Tunsil is merely adequate. But he's still young and has the talent to improve with better coaching.

Devlin vs Gibbs

Hmmm.
Coaching matters

The new GM should TRADE Tunsil for 2 Round 2s and maybe a 3 or 4
Absolutely not! I'm not against trading left Tackle but you better get something to start in his place. Eating his dead $ would be hard to swallow. If I were Miami I would definitely trade their round two and the one we gave them for laremy tunsil.

Now if you can guarantee me Najee Harris and wide receiver Terrace Marshall with Dolphins picks and Carmon Jackson from Clemson with our third, I'm listening. Dolphins 4th?

Bears give us 2.08 for Watt I am listening much harder. That's a whole lot to guarantee though but I appreciate your thought process.

Back