Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Travis Henry...

this is a what have you done for me lately league...you gotta realize that...and the runningback is most times the first position to get this...he did great his rookie year...this year he's flat out stunk it up...avg. 2.8 yds a carry that's pathetic...fumbling about as much as he is scoring that's sad...he's lost a step if you ask me...with the possible FA at the runningback position...i can tell you that indy will keep james and continue to let their defense rot away...seattle will keep alexander...out of henry, rudi, jordon, and davis...i would take henry...but i'm not saying that's the best choice for us...the best choice for us is the draft ronnie brown out of auburn...flat out in my mind he is the best runningback in the nation...if you think davis is a franchise runningback please take a step back...take a deep breathe and look at the position from a non-texan fan's point of view...granted i want to see him get back to his old self and make me eat my words...i really do...as a fan i want to see him succeed...but realistically the texans need to draft an-every down back who can stay healthy throughout the entire season

remember that before this season started the one worry on everyones mind was can davis make it through the season...that question has been answered with a huge no

I dont think fans want to get rid of him. But as for him being the feature back, I dont think so. Draft a RB with the 1st or 2nd pick, depending on where Brown is expected to go, jk. And let him learn for the year, while we fight over who should be the RB. Then he can come in his second year and run. I think the rookie could actually take the RB spot from DD, and Hollings next year. The only thing I have confidence in our O doing, is passing.

wags said:
How about when James skips camp and trains by himself down in Miami. There is something to be said for training with your teammates, instead of hanging out in Miami with your college buddies.
Oh yeah, training with Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Andre Johnson (he went back to Miami to train this year and look what he is doing), Clinton Portis, Bubba Franks, Phillip Buhcanon, Willis McGahee, Jerome McDougle, Bryant McKenzie, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Jeremey Shockey, Dan Morgan and Mike Rumph wont help him at all... idonno:

Bottle-O-Bud said:
I would not give up on DD so quick! I think we really should fix our O-line before we even THINK of getting rid of DD!

Agreed !! Lets put some of the blame on the O-Line they havent exactly given him many holes to work with (which would make his yards per carry go down) Once the Oline establishes itself Davis will establish hiself AGAIN !!!!

I don't see Henry going for a 1st round pick, but maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Didn't Dillion go for a 2nd or 3rd Round pick?

Fiddy said:
Oh yeah, training with Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Andre Johnson (he went back to Miami to train this year and look what he is doing), Clinton Portis, Bubba Franks, Phillip Buhcanon, Willis McGahee, Jerome McDougle, Bryant McKenzie, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Jeremey Shockey, Dan Morgan and Mike Rumph wont help him at all... idonno:

Did Andre skip a mandatory mini-camp? Did he refuse to let team doctors examine an injury? Did he breach his contract? Please enlighten me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2002/04/26/colts_james_ap/

wags said:
Did Andre skip a mandatory mini-camp? Did he refuse to let team doctors examine an injury? Did he breach his contract? Please enlighten me.
Remember that the NFL is a busniess and to get what you want a player may need to go to the extreme. Skipping mandatory camps happen all the time around the league and I bet that he was welcomed back with open arms when he returned. I have never heard one of the Colts players say something negative about Edge. Plus, we will give him a new contract so there wont be a contract problem.

I think that if you look at the RB situation, it cant be argued that DD will become an all-pro in the future. He just doesnt have the tools. However, he was effective last year because he had some better holes than this year. He hasnt really put any great ankle breaking moves on anyone, nor has he been Bus like and run over that many people. He is a good quality third down back, just like he was his whole college career. The team needs a better run game, and its hard to say how to do that. Clearly the Oline needs to be helped, but that is easier to do after the first round because they generally arent the prized players (exceptions are Gallery and company). The team needs to decide if they want another high paid standout on offense to go with johnson and carr, or if they want to add someone to the defense thats a high profile play maker. Personally I think they should be mainly focused on either Dline or DB with the first pick, and then look for a RB in the second round, because there is always quality left after the first round at that position. THey could also look in the second and third for the Oline they need to improve. I really think the next draft and FA period will be what makes this team a serious playoff contender or not.

Everyone can argue who the texans would ideally get, james or alexander or whoever, but the real question is still what does the team need most and at what price.

From the Colts MB, "It really was blown out of proportion by the media. James was not just working out in Florida, he was rehabbing the knee. His doctor was in Miami as well as all his rehab. So rather than, report to mini camps and stand on the sidelines doing nothing, he wanted to stay in Miami and continue his rehab treatments/workouts. He had the blessings of the Colts Organizations. The media blew it up as some sort of disgruntlement. Notice this year, with no rehab, he reported right on time and participated just like everyone else."

texan279 said:
From the Colts MB, "It really was blown out of proportion by the media. James was not just working out in Florida, he was rehabbing the knee. His doctor was in Miami as well as all his rehab. So rather than, report to mini camps and stand on the sidelines doing nothing, he wanted to stay in Miami and continue his rehab treatments/workouts. He had the blessings of the Colts Organizations. The media blew it up as some sort of disgruntlement. Notice this year, with no rehab, he reported right on time and participated just like everyone else."

Blessing of the Colts organization? I guess the fan who posted this was not aware that the Colts front office publicly said he was in breach of contract. I realize that the NFL is a business, but don't call a guy a team player because he skips mandatory camp, breaches his contract, and delays team doctors from looking at his injury because he thinks it will hurt his value in the market.

If it was really that big of a deal, why was he not disciplined by the Colts or the NFL? Do you think the Colts and the NFL would ALLOW him to breach his contract and then come back like nothing happened?

texan279 said:
If it was really that big of a deal, why was he not disciplined by the Colts or the NFL? Do you think the Colts and the NFL would ALLOW him to breach his contract and then come back like nothing happened?

The Colts did fine him $5,000 a day.

keyfro said:
this is a what have you done for me lately league...you gotta realize that...and the runningback is most times the first position to get this...he did great his rookie year...this year he's flat out stunk it up...avg. 2.8 yds a carry that's pathetic...fumbling about as much as he is scoring that's sad...he's lost a step if you ask me...with the possible FA at the runningback position...i can tell you that indy will keep james and continue to let their defense rot away...seattle will keep alexander...out of henry, rudi, jordon, and davis...i would take henry...but i'm not saying that's the best choice for us...the best choice for us is the draft ronnie brown out of auburn...flat out in my mind he is the best runningback in the nation...if you think davis is a franchise runningback please take a step back...take a deep breathe and look at the position from a non-texan fan's point of view...granted i want to see him get back to his old self and make me eat my words...i really do...as a fan i want to see him succeed...but realistically the texans need to draft an-every down back who can stay healthy throughout the entire season

remember that before this season started the one worry on everyones mind was can davis make it through the season...that question has been answered with a huge no

RB's do suffer from the Sophmore blues more than anyone else it seems.

i'm confused on this whole blame the o-line bit...this is the same o-line we had last year the additions of wade at RT and wand at LT with pitts moving to LG...does anyone care to argue that this line is worse that the line last year?...cause if you do you clearly haven't been watching the same games i have...as for holes to run through why can Wells get a 100+ yds a game and DD can't?...Wells who we all critized after the first year as not being able to get it done has been doing just so this season...and is argueably our best runner on the team

ok 1st of all wells had 1 100 yrd game,,, not to impressive,,, second we might have the same line with a few additions but were not blocking the same way,,,yeah the zone blocking scheme ! Ok portis was great in Denver went to Washington his first game was good, and than he was in like a 6 week slump ! Davis's last performance against Denver wasnt so bad i say give him to the end of the year before ya make any evaluations, and the line can take partial blame for the running game, and 4 sacks given up against Denver :whistle: thats some strange improvment !

Exactly, its a combination of the two, not only has the run blocking been bad, but hopefully they arent slipping back into the get david carr sacked 40 times a season mode. And i agree that from what i have seen wells has been more productive, but he hasnt been given as many chances as davis. Either way neither one of them is a true feature back, but i would rather see wells in there right now.

i dont know about wells in there, during the Broncos game i saw Davis running like he did last year, and he seemed more productive than he was earlier this season ! If he can just get his YPC up to around 4 yards now !

If our running game is clicking, I would like to see us stick to it a little more. After we got within 3 this last game we almost abandoned the whole running game all together.

My problem is the whole Davis can't hold up and keeps getting hurt deal....Does anybody else watch sports news, or maybe I'm the only one who's taken notice of the fact that a ton of running backs are getting hurt this season...Stephen Davis, Priest Holmes, Edge, Travis Henry, Deuce Staley, Fred Taylor, Cris Brown, Tatum Bell.......I could go on. We should feel lucky that he gets a little banged up and hasn't been seriously hurt. The guy comes in and runs for over 1000 yds in what 13 games? The next season we throw a completely different blocking scheme at the offensive line and they don't seem to execute...For those of you who say well it's dd and not the line, maybe you need to watch a few of the games a bit more.....I've seen dd getting hit in the backfield ten times more than last year and that's definitely not his fault that he's taking one step and getting wrapped up. My personal opinion after last year was if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would like to see how things would be had we not changed up the scheme. For the person who said wells hasn't gotten any chances after his 100+ yard game....He had the whole first season to prove something and now if he can't straighten his arse up on special teams why would I want him running for me? Davis did have a problem with fumbling at the beginning of the year but shoulda, woulda, coulda it's over and we all need to move on. At some point and time every running back goes through a funk, it's just his came alot sooner than expected. Our running game isn't where we would like it to be but I feel we have three very capable backs...any one of them could produce for 100 yards in a game if the blocks are executed in the fashion their meant to be. Holy **** this is looking like an editorial. Well just wanted to put my two cents in. I like dd, wells and hollings but the offensive line does need to be looked at before we point our fingers at the running backs, whether it be any one of them.

doug,

Question: Ever work with some who is a good person and works well , but always has something going on (legitimately) from kids with the flu, car problems, etc, frustrating as heck...part dependability in sports is the ability to line-up and play at close enough to full strength to do your job...Unfortunately, Davis has all or portions of at least 3 if not 4 regular season games and has really looked healthy enough to perform at a top level maybe 2 of the remaining games. yeah, staying healthy in the NFL for a RB is tough, but it is Davis job to do so.

That makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm an *****.....Please emphasize. What I got out of it was it's Davis' job to stay healthy? Let me know if I'm getting it before I comment any further.

Doug said:
That makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm an *****.....Please emphasize. What I got out of it was it's Davis' job to stay healthy? Let me know if I'm getting it before I comment any further.
Yeah, pretty much. It's a part of the deal. He is not a solid big time running back to begin with and on top of that he can't stay on the field.

Doug said:
My problem is the whole Davis can't hold up and keeps getting hurt deal....Does anybody else watch sports news, or maybe I'm the only one who's taken notice of the fact that a ton of running backs are getting hurt this season...Stephen Davis, Priest Holmes, Edge, Travis Henry, Deuce Staley, Fred Taylor, Cris Brown, Tatum Bell
Stephen Davis had 1500 yards last year. Holmes is a TD machine. Edge has led the league in rushhing. Staley has led his team to one of the best records in football. Fred Taylor has made 30 consecutive starts and averages 5 yards a carry. Chris Brown leads the league in runs over 20.

Davis playing hurt, doesnt help the team. He has played hurt most of the season and is averaging 3 yards a carry. Not effective...

Doug said:

I did not even mean imply that it is really fair, but part of judging a RB is his ability to stay healthy even though a good portion of injuries bad luck/not the RBs fault.

Back