Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TIME TO REBOOT AGAINST THE STEELERS WEEK 3

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Yeah he did...

Would have been extremely bold of him to turn it down. I would've applauded it since I'd like to see him on another team at some point while he's still young.
Yeah, makes me wonder what Cal would have though if no amount of money could resign his qb.....

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I'm not sure Cal thinks.
Aww come on, of course he does.

Unfortunately I have seen the movie "Multiplicity" and am starting to question if the Cal we see is really a clone of a clone and the real Cal and his other clones are on an island somewhere living it up ignoring Houston completely.

Somebody offer this man pizza or see if he calls you "Steve"

KarlK

Waterboy
Honest question here in your honest opinion how did he play anyways? I didn't watch the game and don't wanna form an opinion based on just looking at stats
You know the answer:

It's O'Brien's/the OL/the WR's fault that the 160 million dollar man couldn't lead his team to so much as a field goal in the second half, and when presented the chance to ice the game up 21-20 in Pitt territory in quarter 4, he instead threw an int. He certainly proved once again he's a once in a generation talent......lol.

He was effective in the first half when presented with an excellent pocket and no pressure. Pretty much any qb in the NFL can be effective under those circumstances, though. Once Pitt decided to attack Watson in the second half, he couldn't adjust and was completely ineffective.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Aww come on, of course he does.

Unfortunately I have seen the movie "Multiplicity" and am starting to question if the Cal we see is really a clone of a clone and the real Cal and his other clones are on an island somewhere living it up ignoring Houston completely.

Somebody offer this man pizza or see if he calls you "Steve"

lol...I didn't mean it as a big Cal diss...

I'm sure he thinks too...Maybe just not much about the Texans. This was his Dad's baby...Cal just inherited it. This may or may not even be what he wants to do with his time. I'm sure he loves the money, but he might have other passions.

Last edited:

KarlK

Waterboy
He threw the ball nine/NINE/9/ N I N E/ times 2nd half. But keep on being ignorant. Clearly you are lost and blind.
Yep, his inability to put together any kind of sustained drives lowered the number of pass attempts he had in the half. Top notch analysis there, Lombardi.

Kind of hard to throw it more than 9 times in a half when your throwing ints, taking sacks and tossing incompletions, isn't it?

Once Pitt went back to what they do best, Watson was helpless. 51 total yards and zero points.

But he's special.

Jadmakaveli

Veteran
Yep, his inability to put together any kind of sustained drives lowered the number of pass attempts he had in the half. Top notch analysis there, Lombardi.

Kind of hard to throw it more than 9 times in a half when your throwing ints, taking sacks and tossing incompletions, isn't it?

Once Pitt went back to what they do best, Watson was helpless. 51 total yards and zero points.

But he's special.
Assuming you didn't watch the game but it's cool. Continue to hate on Deshaun.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
He was effective in the first half when presented with an excellent pocket and no pressure. Pretty much any qb in the NFL can be effective under those circumstances, though. Once Pitt decided to attack Watson in the second half, he couldn't adjust and was completely ineffective.
People aren't really looking at the nuances of play calling if they say this.
It's hard to complete passes when the other team knows you're going to pass. Same thing with the run game.

Too often this team finds itself in 3rd and long because they ran the ball for minimal yardage on 1st and/or second down. They run the ball like they are really good at it or something lol. They don't even use much RPO anymore and get Deshaun involved or at least appear to be a threat to keep it. They just hand it off to a RB that is best in space and pound him between the tackles.

Then on third and long...Deshaun, make a play. Defense knows you have to pass. But I won't you to consistently make plays in those scenarios. I don't care how good of a QB you are...It makes it hard because you have to be almost flawless and no player is flawless.

And it also makes it harder on the Oline because now the defense can always pin their ears back and now your Oline loses an advantage and they need to have flawless pass protection...Whereas if the defense hesitates for a second because they are trying to diagnose then you can maybe afford a misstep or a slow ready of even a whiff in some instances.

But hell, if they know this is going to be a 5 or seven step drop almost every pass play, they are pinning their ears back.

Offense takes a lot of coordination and part of the advantage that an offense has is the element of knowing what they are doing and the defense not knowing. OB and his play calling constantly removes one of the most important and basic advantages of the offense. So now every little mistake the offense makes is magnified. Play calling leaves this team a thin margin for error.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Last edited:

Texazan

Our HOF 34
You know the answer:

It's O'Brien's/the OL/the WR's fault that the 160 million dollar man couldn't lead his team to so much as a field goal in the second half, and when presented the chance to ice the game up 21-20 in Pitt territory in quarter 4, he instead threw an int. He certainly proved once again he's a once in a generation talent......lol.

“the chance to ice the game” in the first half?? Hilarious. DW wasn’t perfect but he wasn’t the issue today. Not even close.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Yeah he did...

Would have been extremely bold of him to turn it down. I would've applauded it since I'd like to see him on another team at some point while he's still young.
Although this sounds good. In reality, if he turns it down, they would have just franchised him. He should have gotten a couple of "baby momma" impersonators. That appears to be the quickest way to get traded.

KarlK

Waterboy
“the chance to ice the game” in the first half?? Hilarious. DW wasn’t perfect but he wasn’t the issue today. Not even close.
Who said anything about icing the game in the first half. My quote:

“It's O'Brien's/the OL/the WR's fault that the 160 million dollar man couldn't lead his team to so much as a field goal in the second half, and when presented the chance to ice the game up 21-20 in Pitt territory in quarter 4, he instead threw an int.

Reading comprehension.....learn some before you open your cakehole and make a fool of yourself again.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
On 15 2nd down plays, only 2 were with 5 yards or less to go. 11 were with 8 or more yards to go.

12 3rd down plays, only 3 were 5 yards or less to go, 7 were 8 or more yards.

Hard to have consistency when you’re always behind schedule like that.

BTW, Pittsburgh had 23 2nd down plays, 9 were 5 yards or less, 10 were 8 yards or more.
19 3rd down plays, 11 were 5 yards or less, only 6 were with 8 or more yards to go.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The Texans ran for 29 yards.
David Johnson was 13 for 23, many of the runs (into a brick wall) was on first down in the second half, leaving the Texans with third and long as X said above.
OBrien was trying to turtle the game and it backfired.
Oh, I forgot.
Procise also ran once for a yard, and Watson scrambled for 5 on another attempt.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Who said anything about icing the game in the first half. My quote:

“It's O'Brien's/the OL/the WR's fault that the 160 million dollar man couldn't lead his team to so much as a field goal in the second half, and when presented the chance to ice the game up 21-20 in Pitt territory in quarter 4, he instead threw an int.

Reading comprehension.....learn some before you open your cakehole and make a fool of yourself again.
Presented with a chance?

:corrosion:
Holly crap, I want some of what you're smoking.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Let’s recap our 2nd half on offense

1st Drive: run for little gain on 1st and 2nd down. On 3rd and 7, pass to Johnson on third for 3 yard gain

2nd drive: 1st down, pressure but scrambled and threw a 5 yard pass. 2nd down run for 1 yard. 3rd and 4, Fulton gets beat like a drum immediately, Watson gets sacked.

3rd drive: 1st dow, run for -1 yard. We went on a passing frenzy and moved the ball at will for a bit. It was 1st and 10 when we called a ridiculous WR screen and lost 5 yards. The next pass was incomplete making it 3rd and 15. This is where Watson threw the pass to Stills that was picked. We were in no mans land, desperate for a play, Stills had an opening that he didn’t attack. Can you honestly not see why Watson took a chance?

Last drive: Watt goes unblocked and Watson is sacked for -11 yards on first down. 2nd down was incomplete to Cooks. False start Akins, 3rd and 26, Watson completes a 15 yard pass. We punt and never see the ball again

Where was Watson supposed to put his Superman cape on and will us to victory?

Jadmakaveli

Veteran

1st Drive: run for little gain on 1st and 2nd down. On 3rd and 7, pass to Johnson on third for 3 yard gain

2nd drive: 1st down, pressure but scrambled and threw a 5 yard pass. 2nd down run for 1 yard. 3rd and 4, Fulton gets beat like a drum immediately, Watson gets sacked.

3rd drive: 1st dow, run for -1 yard. We went on a passing frenzy and moved the ball at will for a bit. It was 1st and 10 when we called a ridiculous WR screen and lost 5 yards. The next pass was incomplete making it 3rd and 15. This is where Watson threw the pass to Stills that was picked. We were in no mans land, desperate for a play, Stills had an opening that he didn’t attack. Can you honestly not see why Watson took a chance?

Last drive: Watt goes unblocked and Watson is sacked for -11 yards on first down. 2nd down was incomplete to Cooks. False start Akins, 3rd and 26, Watson completes a 15 yard pass. We punt and never see the ball again

Average QB crowd ain't interested in hearing the truth, He was supposed to superman this game regardless of the situation at hand. It's why I can't take any of them serious, only a couple of them those so minority none the less.

Decim8

Veteran
This

This offense could be great......if everyone does their job. The problem is, everyone has to be 100% perfect at it lol