Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tim Jernigan is NOT a Texan.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Wade Philips 3-4 is not similar to Crennel's 3-4 in the way they play their DL especially.

badboy

Hall of Fame
How did Rex Ryan's 3-4 compare to RAC's/Wade's?

I'm hoping that Weaver's defense is more like Rex defense.
Buddy Ryan taught both sons his 46 D and they used variations. 46 was named after safety Plank's #. Four defensive linemen tight together with two linebackers, one either side. Two safeties up close behind virtually shutting down run game. Buddy launched rush or faked from different position being very successful using safety blitz by #46. Several Lbs were hurt IIRC. The corners pressed and had to be very good on islands. Another DB roamed backfield. This was a excellent defense for the time however Bill Walsh's West Coast offense (WCO) with quick short passes defeated the 46. Buddy Ryan's ranch used 46 and or 'blitz' for several of his race horses.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wade plays an odd 3-4, if I recall correctly you have the DLmen in the gap of OL. Meaning a smaller NT/ DT can be used like a DE. In concert with an OLB/s. The idea is to get pressure before the OL can get a body on the DL. I use to have a link to an article about it.
It's basically a 5-2 and one of the LB's drops.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Great video I love this kind of stuff!

Wade asked his DL to know the play call and be hyper aggressive at the point of attack. In his mind it was because having players play 'read and react' was putting too much on their plate. He lines up and runs some cool stunts and gets the athletes in positions to get to the passer. Look at Bruce Matthews and JJ Watt for example; Wade moved those guys into mismatches and allowed their phenomenal skill to be maximized.

Romeo Crennel asks his DL to play 2 gap; occupy space and blockers and have stud LBs that go and make the tackles, while the OLB does the majority of the pass rushing - he still asks the DL to pass rush, but their first obligation is to stopping the run. What I love about Crennels system is that he will go amoeba front when he has a guy that can walk up and down the line of scrimmage picking the gap he wants to shoot. Remember what JD used to do - he'd walk the line then last second line up in the A and wreck shop. He needs those BIG, hulking bodies on the DL to tie up the space. Its why Jernigan made sense, IF HEALTHY, the guy would be prototypical for this system as a DE opposite Watt, not sharing snaps with Dunn.

I'll be curious to see what tweaks; if any; Weaver is going to make. Hopefully he doesnt have Mike Vrabel type growing pains as a DC because he's not gifted with the requisite talent to overcome bad play calling. Fingers crossed. He might be a lamb Pharaoh Chin might throw into the fire at the end of the year.

edit: duh - Bruce Smith. I almost corrected with Bruce Willis! This quarantine is kicking my ass!

Last edited:

texan279

Hall of Fame
Tim Jernigan's Houston Texans move falls through

Former Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle is back on the free-agent market after announcing he will no longer be joining the Houston Texans.

The 27-year-old defensive tackle agreed to a deal with the Texans on April 1 but never signed a contract.

Jernigan had reportedly agreed a one-year contract worth up to $3.75m, including a guaranteed $1.25m.

Posting on social media, he wrote: "Guess I'm not going to Houston..but the show not over."

The Houston Chronicle cited an anonymous source saying Jernigan is healthy and was cleared by noted back surgeon Robert Watkins, but the newspaper reports the player never took a physical with the Texans.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The Houston Chronicle cited an anonymous source saying Jernigan is healthy and was cleared by noted back surgeon Robert Watkins, but the newspaper reports the player never took a physical with the Texans.
What's the big deal? There's still a couple of months before camp starts. Plenty of time to get a physical done. Does Jernigan not want to be here? Or do the Texans no longer want Jernigan?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
What's the big deal? There's still a couple of months before camp starts. Plenty of time to get a physical done. Does Jernigan not want to be here? Or do the Texans no longer want Jernigan?
The only thing that makes sense to me (if it's not injury related), is the Texans didn't feel they needed Jernigan anymore after drafting Blacklock. Dunn, Blackson, Watt, Omenihu, Blacklock will probably be the main rotation on the DL. Then they still have Watkins and Vanderhoes for depth.

I personally would have preferred to keep Jernigan, as we're fairly thin on DL run-stuffers.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
We need to go after Damien Harrison. We don’t have any real run stuffers.
Throughout last season, Damon was a veritable walking injury..........knee, calf, and groin. He has tried to avoid knee and groin surgery, while seriously considering retirement. Over his career until last season, he has indeed been a very good run stuffer (besides being a fine human being). Unfortunately, today, he may be more sought after as an envelope stuffer.