Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tight End situation?

J-Man

Waterboy
How do you guys see the TE situation sorting out? We've got a double handful of TEs on the roster and I was trying to ponder out the depth chart was going to fill out and what is expected of the role players.

Let's see we have Billy, Bennie, and Bruener (hey, this sounds like a bad bar joke...) all with potential starting capability. I think the others remaining on the roster are Matt Murphy and Holloway...we cut Kent right?...and finally the unsung deep snapper Pittman is the emergency guy.

My guess is Billy starts, Bennie is the 2nd in the ACE set, and Bruener takes Billy's spot when we go short yardage...how's that sound?

The Billy, Bennie & Bruener group will be the headliners on opening night! Possible backup will be done by the Hollowy's.

Yet another group of Killer B's. Not Biggio, Bagwell, and Berkman this time, but Billy, Bennie, and Bruener. I think Bruener is there to provide veteran leadership and he will be the blocker. Look for Billy to make the big plays, and some crucial catches seeing as how he and Carr have a good feel for one another. Bennie should see some action and look for him to make a few big plays of his own. Maybe a TD or two. But he is still essientially a rookie so he will struggle some. Pittman is one of the best LS in the league, and to appreciate that just remember what happened to the Giants when they played the 49ers.

:fight:

Bennie's surgury was about as bad as it could be (double groin, detached from the bone...ouch) and will probably need another year before he is fully back, kind of like the two years it takes for the guys coming back from ACLs. I am looking at him as more of a spot player this year and then MAYBE to be able to start next year. According to one of the MDs on the board (CND), this is a really tough one to come back from.

As a team I think the Texans will commit to the run first. Therefore I think the tightend chart is Breuner, Billy, Bennie. Billy with play on third and long and when the Texans are losing. But Bruner will get the most playing time. I think Billy's relationship with Carr may hurt him a little. Carr tends to look at Billy before the recivers. By playing Bruner and keeping him in to block you eliminate that problem. Look for first tight end TD this year to be of the 2 yard pass variety to Bruner. Look for Billy to split out on shifts more often when they run something similar to the 4 wr set.Look for Bennie to be treated like a rookie. Getting Garbage time and learning as much as possiable. :popcorn:

I think that Benny will be the 2nd stringer in a rotating slot of TEs. On short yardage and running plays Bruener will play. On passing down Billy will play, and as a change of pase, you put in Ben who can both receive and block. But personally I think that Billy will be the starter at the beginning of the 1st game just because of the balanced Offense the Texans run(they will run or pass on any play), and because of his relationship with Carr. Remember the 1st season, Billy was the team leader in receptions. I think our TE position is one of the strongest on the team and they will make a big impact no matter who starts.

Wow--the more I read about Joppru's injury the less I like the prognosis for 2004. They might roll this guy to IR very quickly if he messes up his rehab in camp or something. I think Miller will see most of the action but depending on what we do on the O-line Bruener could get a LOT b/c of the blocking skills.

Back