Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

This may be a stupid question about Babin, but here goes.

Hottoddie

Veteran
Would you entertain the idea of moving him to SS?

Now, before you call the people with the custom fitted white jackets to hook me up, hear me out.

While Babin is still a rookie & learning a new position, he seems to disappear completely from games. He's finally figured out that spinning to his right all the time won't work in the NFL. So, he's started spinning to the left as well.

Babin has great speed in the open field, is an exceptional open field tackler (unless, he over runs the play), & has a non stop motor.

However, he doesn't deal with traffic very well. He keeps getting jammed up & isn't very good at getting seperation from the blockers.

While Peek has been somewhat wreckless at times, the defensive line surge is definitely improved with Peek in, instead of Babin. This is not meant as an insult to Babin, just that he might be better suited playing in the open field.

Thus, my original question. Would you entertain the idea of moving Babin to the SS position? At 6'2" 259 lbs & with exceptional sideline to sideline speed, he'd make a devastating SS. He wouldn't have to deal with the traffic in the middle & his 259 lbs running at full speed, would pack a wallop everytime he laid a lick on someone. He'd revolutionize the position.

I know, it's a stupid idea. But, if it were possible, would you do it? Now, flame away. :popcorn:

He might have a lil speed but trust me its not near enough to keep pace w/ most NFL recievers ,,,so na i'd leave him where he is !

Ah, Jason Babin - everybodys favorite subject on this board if we're talking
about defensive personnel. Hott, that is a novel idea, but why stop there,
maybe you could play him at CB ?
This was a guy who had like 30 sacks in 2 years in college - that, I think, is
the main reason they drafted him. To be what we didn't (and still probably don't have), a bona fide pass rusher off the edge. Not a DB. Let's give him
a little bit more time before we train him on another new position.

If he could get into the 240's, he'd alsmost have to transform his body. i think it would be too hard to do and teams would ATTACK him since he would be going from defensive lineman, to linebacker, to saftey.

Hottoddie said:
Would you entertain the idea of moving him to SS?

Jason Babin at Short stop? No, I don't want to see that. The Texans need him and the Astros seem to be ok there so we should leave things like they are.

I am glad someone else has noticed these things. The spin move is so ineffective. He does not have the footwork for the spin. Also, if anyone noticed when he did get to mcnaire today he fell on the ground, again. I dont understand but he is always on the ground. and i might add he had ZERO tackles according to the game center, he may have had one, but still not enough. I would also mention that Peek did get some more reps today, and he did very well in coverage and against the run. He also got into the backfield and closed the pocket up rather quickly from both the left side when in for babin and then from the right when in for Wong. He also had a great play on punt coverage where they were fumbling the ball at the 2 and the went through his blocker and into the man recovering. He has shown that he is capable and its nice to see him finally getting a chance.

Babin as a DB? The main weakness in his game is his lack of coverage skills. If he was a lifetime LB, maybe. But the guy was a lineman, who is just learnin how to play LB. He is a pass rusher plain and simple.

georgewashington said:
I am glad someone else has noticed these things. The spin move is so ineffective. He does not have the footwork for the spin. Also, if anyone noticed when he did get to mcnaire today he fell on the ground, again. .

Babin got a lot of pressure this week and last. I like Peek to eventually replace Wong, but that doesn't justify interpreting everything Babin does as sucking.

As for moving Bavin to SS, aint' going to happen--he is a very fast LB, but would be a slow safety. Remember you are converting a DE to LB--right now the hardest thing he has to do is learn coverage--put him at safety and coverage is his primary responsibiliy. Look at Boulware if you want to see a NFL safety convert--whole different body type, etc.

he just needs time.

he is a competitior.. and an athlete.. and he is used to dominating and taking down QBs.

Im betting by next year he will making a big difference in our LB corps.. and 2 years down the line he will be coming into his own and we will start seeing him mentioned as one of the better LBs in the league.

I dont think he would settle for anything less.

being at the game, i can attest to what georgewashington said. babin again had a couple of chances at getting to the quarterback and then ending up on the ground. also noted that if he was out of the play, or if the play went opposite of him he would never pursue. say what you want about peek, but if you notice he is always around the ball when the whistle blows. if he isn't in the vacinity of the ball when the play starts, he hauls *** to where the ball ends up going. babin seems to be complacent to make an initial effort and then nothing after that.
it did seem that when peek was in the game, the pocket on pass plays did seem to collapse more often. there were times when he lined up as a down lineman on the end in a three man line when the nickel defense was in. i didn't notice babin doing that while he was in. i definitely liked seeing more rotation amongst the defense in general instead of the starters playing every down until they were exhausted.

What was that sound? There it goes again! Sounds like the wind. Oh it's wide receivers and most tight ends flying right by Babin @ D.B. There is nothing wrong with ideas, but I'd vote no on this one. We have basically 2 kids in Peek and Babin that need to learn.
This is a specialized position that requires a lot more than just speed. Technique has to be almost perfect to succeed at getting to QB. Sometimes just getting passed the blocker or close to the QB causes a "hurry up " decision. I think we will be ok.

Bottle-O-Bud said:
People say Babin keeps falling down, which I think is greatly exaggerated!

The guy came in 265-270 with 4.6 and now he lost atleast 10 pounds and is "falling down". Why mess with such a specimen?

That 'falling down' is the competition getting a leg away from him.. he's a great ankle grabber ... he seems to enjoy being a lasso artist. ;)

a great ankle grabber? babin had no tackles yesterday, and if its the competition having a leg up on him then maybe thats a sign he needs work. falling down has nothing to do with high motor intensity, it has to do with having footwork that causes him to fall down when he spins and gets bumped. and i would also like to agree that he has no pursuit of the ball when its not coming towards him. after his initial move, if he didnt get pressure he just stood in place and watched. thats inexcusable. you should be at least at the pile of bodies after a tackle, not at the line.

Of course he needs work, he is a rookie who is making a transition from DE to OLB in his first NFL season. I don't know what's with all of the Babin bashing going on. Was David Carr as good as he is today in his first season?

This is a league where 10 sacks is a good year. That is less than one sack a game.

Have some patience people. It took Wong a full two years to adjust to a 3-4 OLB and we are just now starting to see a guy who reacts before he thinks. Its just going to take two years of playing before he reaches his potential. Peek is still working on his game.

Patience. Babin has 6 Career starts at linebacker.

Babin at SS? That's a bit of a stretch. Like most have already said his weakness is in coverage. Thats a primary concern for a SS. As far as Babin's ability I saw him get alot of pressure on McNair. Payne was in on a few QB pressures too, and that was good to see. Most notable was his pressure put on McNair on the Kailee Wong interception. I didn't see the same discipline out of Peek that some have mentioned. He looked to get swept inside on play action plays, and then not get much of a rush on McNair. I don't understand criticizing Babin's pursuit to the ball because he's been consistantly in or around the ball in the majority of our games this year. As for the reference about when Babin got near McNair but then "fell down". The play I remember when he was near McNair was when he was coming from the behind McNair and was tackled by the OLineman. McNair has an excellent pocket awareness because Babin was literally a couple inches away from having a hold on him before he took off and ran. As Vinny mentioned he's 6 games into the season. Patience is a virtue.

My goodness. You're actually entertaining the idea of putting Babin at strong safety? First it was DE and now this? UNREAL! Babin's weakness is in coverage and you want to make him our last line of defense?

Back