Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TheRealJoker's 2019 Texans Mock

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Basing mock off of what team thinks and what they covet in position group/scheme fits along with team needs. The fan in me wants to fit in an interior OL but the team feels differently so will only address the offensive line with round 1 pick. That being said I feel good about this draft's ability to add talented "Texans worthy" players with a history of production and good football character that can contribute in the 2019 season and beyond.

23. Cody Ford OT Oklahoma 6'4" 34" arms

Assuming the forum favorites are off the board (Jonah, Dillard, Greedy) are off the board it comes down to Ford or Risner for me. Mcgary lumped in with them as RT prospects but Texans' premium on position versatility puts Ford/Risner ahead of him. Ford gets the nod for me due to higher ceiling than Risner. Both have mean streaks I like and Ford in particular is a high effort angry blocker looking to pancake and break his opponents. Who doesn't want to add an OL who does stuff like this?

https://images.app.goo.gl/osPCFiEV9yuuEEAL7

Look forward to having Ford lead the way on 3rd and short! Texans brought in Ford for workout.

54. Jaylen Ferguson EDGE LA Tech 6’5” 271 34 ½” arms

Ferguson is a highly productive EDGE that will fall due to poor workouts. He's Duke Ejiofor minus the labrum surgery. He’s insurance not just for Clowney but for Mercilus entering his contract year. Average athleticism but ideal length for position and perhaps most importantly instinctive pass rusher that is better in pads than shorts. Texans have shown a great deal of interest bringing him in for private workout and meeting with him at the SR bowl/LA Tech pro day. Texans and Ravens have shown the most interest in him and Ravens don’t have 2nd round pick. Making me think the league expects him to go in this range of draft.

55. Sean Bunting CB Central Michigan 6' 195 31 3/4" arms 4.42 40 41" (!!!) vertical

With Bunting we add a DB with good ball skills to go with high end measurables. Fluid hips to turn and run with receivers and willing/able tackler in run support. Fits the size/length requirements of Gaine and would be a 1st round pick had he played on a better team that allowed him to be tested against better competition.

Allowed less than 39% completion rate in 2018 and when he did allow a catch that I saw he was in good position but perfect throw/catch.

86. Terry McLaurin WR Ohio State 6’ 208 31 ½” arms 4.35 40 37 ½” vertical

We know how much the offense changes when Will Fuller is out. The Texans have placed a premium on finding WRs who can take the top off the defense. Mclaurin can certainly do that. Instead of relying on unpolished raw Vyncint Smith in the event the WR room gets bitten by the injury bug again the team drafts Mclaurin as insurance to keep the defenses honest with his 4.3 speed and more polished route running than Smith. Added bonus is that he also played ST this past season even though he was a starter and 2x team captain. We know the Texans love that! Will see the field quickly on ST and allow the offense to run as designed if Fuller does not make it back healthy or gets injured again. Texans brought him in for a workout and appear to have brought in several WRs in this range which makes me think this is the spot they grab their Fuller insurance policy.

161. Will Harris S Boston College 6’1” 207 31 ¼” arms 4.41 40 36.5” vertical

Solid productive 3 year starter at Boston College with requisite height/length/speed requirements team is looking for at position. Interchangeable strong/free safety prospect and possesses measurables/college production/ceiling that Gaine mentioned in press conference as guy who can contribute as 3rd safety, contribute on special teams and maybe one day become a starter. Just a solid player all around that should still be on board in this range and good bet to make team and contribute.

195. Travis Homer RB Miami (FL) 5’10” 201 10” hands (!) 4.48 40 39.5 “ vertical

Ideal Texans 3rd down back. Strong tough runner despite his size. Probably best pass blocking RB in this draft and capable pass catching back. Contributed 8 tackles on ST units as a freshman. More athletic big play threat than Alfred Blue that checks off those little things the team covets like pass blocking and value to ST. Texans used one of 30 private visits on Homer.

https://gfycat.com/harmlesssneakyekaltadeta-homertough4qrun

220. Xavier Crawford CB Central Michigan 5’11” 187 lbs 4.48 40 37 ½” vertical

Last offseason the Texans took both starting CBs from San Jose State in Jermaine Kelly (7th round) and Andre Chachere (undrafted). This season I think they get Central Michigan’s CBs. Team has shown an interest using one of their 30 private visits on him. Allowed under 40% completion rate this year (a shame the only good part about this team were its CBs). Improved 40 time to 4.40 at pro day and like Bunting very fluid hips and agility. Crawford is a pest on the underneath routes but can be beaten deep especially against the bigger faster NFL WRs and for that reason I project him as a nickel in the NFL.

Last edited:
After doing this exercise I feel comfortable with the idea of trading one of those 2nd round picks if we can lock in Jonah Williams or Dillard. Moving 23 and 54 should get us to that 13 range with Dolphins (who are in rebuilding mode and stockpiling picks). Texans have a glaring hole on roster and need to protect DW4 because if he is out this team goes down into the cellar as we've seen. We have to fix that glaring problem and after doing this exercise I feel they can still add quality players that will help the team out while still accomplishing the number one goal of offseason (get a franchise LT). OL is upgraded tremendously and second biggest need (upgrading DBs) can still be accomplished. At DB in this draft we've added a much needed infusion of height/length/athleticism/TALENT. Two biggest needs of offseason can still be accomplished trading up.

But if they stand pat i'm happy with this haul :)

Basing mock off of what team thinks and what they covet in position group/scheme fits along with team needs. The fan in me wants to fit in an interior OL but the team feels differently so will only address the offensive line with round 1 pick. That being said I feel good about this draft's ability to add talented "Texans worthy" players with a history of production and good football character that can contribute in the 2019 season and beyond.

23. Cody Ford OT Oklahoma 6'4" 34" arms

Assuming the forum favorites are off the board (Jonah, Dillard, Greedy) are off the board it comes down to Ford or Risner for me. Mcgary lumped in with them as RT prospects but Texans' premium on position versatility puts Ford/Risner ahead of him. Ford gets the nod for me due to higher ceiling than Risner. Both have mean streaks I like and Ford in particular is a high effort angry blocker looking to pancake and break his opponents. Who doesn't want to add an OL who does stuff like this?

https://images.app.goo.gl/osPCFiEV9yuuEEAL7

Look forward to having Ford lead the way on 3rd and short! Texans brought in Ford for workout.

54. Jaylen Ferguson EDGE LA Tech 6’5” 271 34 ½” arms

Ferguson is a highly productive EDGE that will fall due to poor workouts. He's Duke Ejiofor minus the labrum surgery. He’s insurance not just for Clowney but for Mercilus entering his contract year. Average athleticism but ideal length for position and perhaps most importantly instinctive pass rusher that is better in pads than shorts. Texans have shown a great deal of interest bringing him in for private workout and meeting with him at the SR bowl/LA Tech pro day. Texans and Ravens have shown the most interest in him and Ravens don’t have 2nd round pick. Making me think the league expects him to go in this range of draft.

55. Sean Bunting CB Central Michigan 6' 195 31 3/4" arms 4.42 40 41" (!!!) vertical

With Bunting we add a DB with good ball skills to go with high end measurables. Fluid hips to turn and run with receivers and willing/able tackler in run support. Fits the size/length requirements of Gaine and would be a 1st round pick had he played on a better team that allowed him to be tested against better competition.

Allowed less than 39% completion rate in 2018 and when he did allow a catch that I saw he was in good position but perfect throw/catch.

86. Terry McLaurin WR Ohio State 6’ 208 31 ½” arms 4.35 40 37 ½” vertical

We know how much the offense changes when Will Fuller is out. The Texans have placed a premium on finding WRs who can take the top off the defense. Mclaurin can certainly do that. Instead of relying on unpolished raw Vyncint Smith in the event the WR room gets bitten by the injury bug again the team drafts Mclaurin as insurance to keep the defenses honest with his 4.3 speed and more polished route running than Smith. Added bonus is that he also played ST this past season even though he was a starter and 2x team captain. We know the Texans love that! Will see the field quickly on ST and allow the offense to run as designed if Fuller does not make it back healthy or gets injured again. Texans brought him in for a workout and appear to have brought in several WRs in this range which makes me think this is the spot they grab their Fuller insurance policy.

161. Will Harris S Boston College 6’1” 207 31 ¼” arms 4.41 40 36.5” vertical

Solid productive 3 year starter at Boston College with requisite height/length/speed requirements team is looking for at position. Interchangeable strong/free safety prospect and possesses measurables/college production/ceiling that Gaine mentioned in press conference as guy who can contribute as 3rd safety, contribute on special teams and maybe one day become a starter. Just a solid player all around that should still be on board in this range and good bet to make team and contribute.

195. Travis Homer RB Miami (FL) 5’10” 201 10” hands (!) 4.48 40 39.5 “ vertical

Ideal Texans 3rd down back. Strong tough runner despite his size. Probably best pass blocking RB in this draft and capable pass catching back. Contributed 8 tackles on ST units as a freshman. More athletic big play threat than Alfred Blue that checks off those little things the team covets like pass blocking and value to ST. Texans used one of 30 private visits on Homer.

https://gfycat.com/harmlesssneakyekaltadeta-homertough4qrun

220. Xavier Crawford CB Central Michigan 5’11” 187 lbs 4.48 40 37 ½” vertical

Last offseason the Texans took both starting CBs from San Jose State in Jermaine Kelly (7th round) and Andre Chachere (undrafted). This season I think they get Central Michigan’s CBs. Team has shown an interest using one of their 30 private visits on him. Allowed under 40% completion rate this year (a shame the only good part about this team were its CBs). Improved 40 time to 4.40 at pro day and like Bunting very fluid hips and agility. Crawford is a pest on the underneath routes but can be beaten deep especially against the bigger faster NFL WRs and for that reason I project him as a nickel in the NFL.
I have been thinking Ford will realistically be our pick for a couple months. I would be delighted if it happens.
Another name I have not seen tied to Texans but keeps haunting me is Jachai Polite who I think falls as far as us. Not super keen on him but he would be a starter I think.

Nostradamus or inside source?

Where is the IDL pressure help that both Gaine and OB have stated is a need?

Nostradamus or inside source?

Where is the IDL pressure help that both Gaine and OB have stated is a need?

Based on team history and list of positions team has brought in for evaluation old curmudgeon.

Ejiofor has had more success rushing inside than outside due to his vast array of moves combined with length. Watkins was drafted in 4th round due to ability to create pressure inside. The team has answers to increase IDL rush on team. Only get so many picks and with those picks (especially in late round) need to evaluate importance of 4th down (ST) to team. Sealy is on record stating due to rule changes OL/DL backups not valued as highly due to inability to contribute on ST.

I have been thinking Ford will realistically be our pick for a couple months. I would be delighted if it happens.
Another name I have not seen tied to Texans but keeps haunting me is Jachai Polite who I think falls as far as us. Not super keen on him but he would be a starter I think.

Honestly all of the OTs we’ve been talking about at 23 would be upgrades and I wouldn’t be upset with any of them. Just Jonah and Dillard I think can play LT which is harder to find. Ford has highest ceiling of the RTs projected to be available at 23 but could see him taken ahead of us by a team like the Vikings who want to put an emphasis on running game as well as protecting their high priced QB.

Risner and Mcgary most likely at 23. Ford I think 50/50 depending on Vikings. So 50/50 is good enough for me to take him 23!

Based on team history and list of positions team has brought in for evaluation old curmudgeon.

Ejiofor has had more success rushing inside than outside due to his vast array of moves combined with length. Watkins was drafted in 4th round due to ability to create pressure inside. The team has answers to increase IDL rush on team. Only get so many picks and with those picks (especially in late round) need to evaluate importance of 4th down (ST) to team. Sealy is on record stating due to rule changes OL/DL backups not valued as highly due to inability to contribute on ST.

So your bold prediction of what the team thinks is based on a second year 6th round pick and a 3rd year 4th round pick with a combined 2 career sacks over what has been publicly stated by both GM and HC numerous times?

So your bold prediction of what the team thinks is based on a second year 6th round pick and a 3rd year 4th round pick with a combined 2 career sacks over what has been publicly stated by both GM and HC numerous times?

I know your M.O. is to be a grouch and general old curmudgeon that can’t provide constructive forum conversation. I’d like to see you try something different if you have the intellectual capacity:

Offer YOUR opinion on prospects you would rather have at selections I made. I eagerly await YOUR contribution to Houston Texans draft talk! :)

I know your M.O. is to be a grouch and general old curmudgeon that can’t provide constructive forum conversation. I’d like to see you try something different if you have the intellectual capacity:

Offer YOUR opinion on prospects you would rather have at selections I made. I eagerly await YOUR contribution to Houston Texans draft talk! :)

Just commenting on your assertive statement of what the Texans think as if it were fact instead of opinion. Attacking post instead of opinion which is supposed to be a rule of this MB, which apparently you neither know or care. IDGAS of either your opinion of me or your opinion of the Texans.

And imo you have no business talking about intelligence

Just commenting on your assertive statement of what the Texans think as if it were fact instead of opinion. Attacking post instead of opinion which is supposed to be a rule of this MB, which apparently you neither know or care. IDGAS of either your opinion of me or your opinion of the Texans.

And imo you have no business talking about intelligence

So you just know positions instead of prospects? Good talk. Enjoy ignore you angry old curmudgeon.

Think Carolina will be targeting Cody Ford now. Daryl Williams RT missed almost all of last season and former 2nd round pick Taylor Moton solid OT. Think they go Ford and move him inside. With Paradis signed an interior of Ford/Paradis/Turner would be quite nice.

Possibility Dillard could fall to 23 if Bengals or Dolphins pass on him. Will Texans take that chance?

Back