Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TheRealJoker's 2018 Texans Mock Draft

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I tried to take the info that Gaine has given us throughout the offseason both in his public statements and in his actions during FA to determine what the Texans will do this upcoming week in the NFL draft. Gaine has stated that he wants to get bigger, longer and stronger this offseason. Coming from the Parcells tree he is going to push to make the team draft based on defined predetermined traits. Aside from Honey Badger every offseason addition has had optimum height/weight/length for their position. Honey Badger being the exception because he is such an exceptional talent.

The question is, when does talent override taking a player who fulfills your predetermined traits needed for the position? I do not know that so I removed players I really like from consideration like P.J. Hall DT SHSU, Tony Adams OG N.C. State and Richie James WR MTSU. For reference I would take Hall in the 3rd and Adams/James in the 6th if available and count on them as solid contributors this season and beyond.

Also, I only selected players the team has been linked to.. whether they brought them in for a visit/workout, coached them at the Senior Bowl or interviewed them at one of the all star games or combine. History has shown there will be a couple players selected the team showed no previous interest in but for the most part the players they are interested in are usually the ones they select.

3 (68): Tarvarius Moore FS Southern Mississippi

Bonafide centerfielder with elite size/length/athleticism for position. 6’1” 190 lbs with 33” arms and 4.32 speed, 39 ½” vertical and 11’2” broad jump.. Limited experience in college drops him to 3rd round but timed speed matches play speed. Able to defend the deep ball and not afraid to mix it up in run defense. Can cover man to man when asked. Quick to diagnose and close in pursuit. Would push Hal for starting safety position year one and worst case scenario would get on the field plenty as the 3rd safety since RAC likes putting 3 safeties on the field more than most coaches while being a core special teamer.

3 (80): Ian Thomas TE Indiana

Excellent size and 11 ½” (!!!) hands with big play ability as a pass catcher. Improved throughout season as a blocker as he learned to use his hands and size more. Coachable and one of the highest upside talents in the draft at the position. Baseball glove for hands showed ability to one hand palm the ball while running down the seam for big plays this past season. Has athleticism to be moved around the formation depending on matchup. Coached by Texans in Senior Bowl.

3 (98): Will Richardson OT NC State

RT prospect meets teams “bigger, longer and stronger” offseason motto that can move pile in run game and has athleticism to get out in space. 6’6” 304 with 35 ¼” arms. Will push Henderson for starting RT job year 1. Shows strong punch and ability to finish as a blocker. Improving the mean streak on the OL. 2 DWIs in college drop him to end of 3rd round. Texans have met with him and I am sure have done their due diligence on the player. Also considering Geron Christian for swing tackle flexibility but not sure if he’ll fall here.

4 (103): Alex Cappa OT/OG Humboldt State

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft...Cappa-He-has-the-nastiest-tape-I-ve-ever-seen

Adds much needed nastiness to the Oline. Plays with a mean streak. Mike Mayock said that he had the nastiest tape he has ever watched from an OL. Performed well when moved to LG at Senior Bowl while coached by Texans’ coaching staff. Can move to LT position he played in college in a pinch but would prefer him to be at LG in pros to minimize his weakness against speed rushers and take advantage of his ability to push pile in short yardage situations.. Another prospect with excellent size/length.

6 (177): Darrel Williams RB LSU

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft...grinds-through-defenders-on-tough-16-yard-run

Team MVP for LSU last season. 230 lb bruiser that displays surprisingly soft hands in the passing game. Willing pass blocker when not asked to catch. Tends to win in short yardage situations rarely stopped at first contact. Not a lot of tread on tires due to playing behind Leonard Fournette and Derrius Guice but performed well when given the opportunity. Will provide much needed insurance for D’onta Foreman with ability to be a 3 down RB minus homerun speed. Another player coached by the Texans in the Senior Bowl.

6 (211): Greg Stroman CB VA Tech

Sticky cover CB who was 1st team all ACC last season as a CB and honorable mention as PR with 2 return tds. 6’ tall and runs well with loose hips showing ability to cover almost every type of WR. Drops to 6th due to concerns about thin frame (180 lbs) and ability to tackle at the NFL level. Adds juice to the return game and much needed competition at CB.

6 (214): Emmanuel Ellerbee LB Rice

2x 1st team all conference LB for Rice with 100+ tackles each of last two seasons. 42” vertical and 4.6 40 at his pro day. 6’ 230 lbs similar in size/athleticism to Dylan Cole. Quick to diagnose plays and fill gap against the run. Diagnoses run/pass and closes quickly. Texans get an instinctive LB that is a superior athlete to push Brian Peters for his roster spot as core special teamer.

7 (222): Jullian Taylor DT Temple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzzQzU30Fq8

Team captain at Temple 6’4 290 lbs 4.83 40 and 29 reps on bench. Injured throughout college career finally played 12 games this season and made 41 tackles 11 for loss. Excellent football character who only falls to 7th round due to injury concerns. High motor DL fulfills “bigger, longer and stronger” initiative who comes ready made with above average quickness and handfighting to disengage from blocks/split double teams to make tackles behind the LOS.

Last edited:
Obviously there are still holes that need to be filled on this team. Need another Edge to backup Clowney/Merci and another WR threat. That 68 overall pick I feel can fill either of those needs but I felt like Moore was both BPA and fills the position of greater need. I was not able to find someone that I wanted more in that range later in the draft that I felt had as good a chance of making the team as my 6th/7th rounders. I think that everyone in this class can not only make this roster but also contribute on game day.

Also, I did not get a classic LT candidate because I think if Davenport doesn't work out or gets hurt we are better off THIS season sliding over Kelemete or Jeff Allen than one of the rookie prospects available. Unless maybe Geron Christian falls. However, as a RT I like Richardson more than Christian. And I think RT is the greater need than LT... a lot of faith in Davenport I know.

Reactions: JB
Tagged two of my favorite prospects, Ian & Alex so you know I like it!

• When I watch tape of Tarvarius his play speed does not match up with his timed speed. Which means he is slow to diagnose and read coverages. He does have good length, frame and plays physical. Better in run support than coverage. Meh
• Thomas is probably shorter and more compact than Texan ideal measurable but great movement skills and sticky hands.
• Richardson maybe more ready to start than any of these 2nd tier tackles which could drive this pick. Just don’t see high ceiling for him, but would cross off need and revisit in 3-4 years.
• Cappa is just opposite, not ready to start but high ceiling to excell and make roster for 10 plus years.
• Williams is kinda like Foreman isn’t he? Big body hits the hole hard maybe less explosion second level but good pad level and balance cutting between lanes.
• Stroman reminds me of Hall coming out, very competitive good football player who could crack roster.
• Ellerbee is type of 7th/undrafted prospect you can add to special teams and develop. Very good athlete and smart.

Thanks BL! I will concede that I am maybe higher on Moore than most. But the plus side with that is we have Hal who is a solid starter while Moore gets coached up if he has to get acclimated to the NFL.

Have you checked out the 7th rounder Taylor out of Temple? I think his best football is yet to come. Well all my prospects really haha but moreso him due to being injured every year except his senior season. Uses his hands very well for a 7th round/UDFA DL.

Thanks BL! I will concede that I am maybe higher on Moore than most. But the plus side with that is we have Hal who is a solid starter while Moore gets coached up if he has to get acclimated to the NFL.

Have you checked out the 7th rounder Taylor out of Temple? I think his best football is yet to come. Well all my prospects really haha but moreso him due to being injured every year except his senior season. Uses his hands very well for a 7th round/UDFA DL.

He is a sleeper for sure, question is how he comes back after two acl tears on his left knee? Would have no problem taking him as high proiity undrafted free agent.

He is a sleeper for sure, question is how he comes back after two acl tears on his left knee? Would have no problem taking him as high proiity undrafted free agent.

I think his senior season and pro day numbers get him drafted. But if he's undrafted I hope Texans have them at the top of their list! Could be this year's Dylan Cole.

I tried to take the info that Gaine has given us throughout the offseason both in his public statements and in his actions during FA to determine what the Texans will do this upcoming week in the NFL draft. Gaine has stated that he wants to get bigger, longer and stronger this offseason. Coming from the Parcells tree he is going to push to make the team draft based on defined predetermined traits. Aside from Honey Badger every offseason addition has had optimum height/weight/length for their position. Honey Badger being the exception because he is such an exceptional talent.

The question is, when does talent override taking a player who fulfills your predetermined traits needed for the position? I do not know that so I removed players I really like from consideration like P.J. Hall DT SHSU, Tony Adams OG N.C. State and Richie James WR MTSU. For reference I would take Hall in the 3rd and Adams/James in the 6th if available and count on them as solid contributors this season and beyond.

Also, I only selected players the team has been linked to.. whether they brought them in for a visit/workout, coached them at the Senior Bowl or interviewed them at one of the all star games or combine. History has shown there will be a couple players selected the team showed no previous interest in but for the most part the players they are interested in are usually the ones they select.

3 (68): Tarvarius Moore FS Southern Mississippi

Bonafide centerfielder with elite size/length/athleticism for position. 6’1” 190 lbs with 33” arms and 4.32 speed, 39 ½” vertical and 11’2” broad jump.. Limited experience in college drops him to 3rd round but timed speed matches play speed. Able to defend the deep ball and not afraid to mix it up in run defense. Can cover man to man when asked. Quick to diagnose and close in pursuit. Would push Hal for starting safety position year one and worst case scenario would get on the field plenty as the 3rd safety since RAC likes putting 3 safeties on the field more than most coaches while being a core special teamer.

3 (80): Ian Thomas TE Indiana

Excellent size and 11 ½” (!!!) hands with big play ability as a pass catcher. Improved throughout season as a blocker as he learned to use his hands and size more. Coachable and one of the highest upside talents in the draft at the position. Baseball glove for hands showed ability to one hand palm the ball while running down the seam for big plays this past season. Has athleticism to be moved around the formation depending on matchup. Coached by Texans in Senior Bowl.

3 (98): Will Richardson OT NC State

RT prospect meets teams “bigger, longer and stronger” offseason motto that can move pile in run game and has athleticism to get out in space. 6’6” 304 with 35 ¼” arms. Will push Henderson for starting RT job year 1. Shows strong punch and ability to finish as a blocker. Improving the mean streak on the OL. 2 DWIs in college drop him to end of 3rd round. Texans have met with him and I am sure have done their due diligence on the player. Also considering Geron Christian for swing tackle flexibility but not sure if he’ll fall here.

4 (103): Alex Cappa OT/OG Humboldt State

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft...Cappa-He-has-the-nastiest-tape-I-ve-ever-seen

Adds much needed nastiness to the Oline. Plays with a mean streak. Mike Mayock said that he had the nastiest tape he has ever watched from an OL. Performed well when moved to LG at Senior Bowl while coached by Texans’ coaching staff. Can move to LT position he played in college in a pinch but would prefer him to be at LG in pros to minimize his weakness against speed rushers and take advantage of his ability to push pile in short yardage situations.. Another prospect with excellent size/length.

6 (177): Darrel Williams RB LSU

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft...grinds-through-defenders-on-tough-16-yard-run

Team MVP for LSU last season. 230 lb bruiser that displays surprisingly soft hands in the passing game. Willing pass blocker when not asked to catch. Tends to win in short yardage situations rarely stopped at first contact. Not a lot of tread on tires due to playing behind Leonard Fournette and Derrius Guice but performed well when given the opportunity. Will provide much needed insurance for D’onta Foreman with ability to be a 3 down RB minus homerun speed. Another player coached by the Texans in the Senior Bowl.

6 (211): Greg Stroman CB VA Tech

Sticky cover CB who was 1st team all ACC last season as a CB and honorable mention as PR with 2 return tds. 6’ tall and runs well with loose hips showing ability to cover almost every type of WR. Drops to 6th due to concerns about thin frame (180 lbs) and ability to tackle at the NFL level. Adds juice to the return game and much needed competition at CB.

6 (214): Emmanuel Ellerbee LB Rice

2x 1st team all conference LB for Rice with 100+ tackles each of last two seasons. 42” vertical and 4.6 40 at his pro day. 6’ 230 lbs similar in size/athleticism to Dylan Cole. Quick to diagnose plays and fill gap against the run. Diagnoses run/pass and closes quickly. Texans get an instinctive LB that is a superior athlete to push Brian Peters for his roster spot as core special teamer.

7 (222): Jullian Taylor DT Temple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzzQzU30Fq8

Team captain at Temple 6’4 290 lbs 4.83 40 and 29 reps on bench. Injured throughout college career finally played 12 games this season and made 41 tackles 11 for loss. Excellent football character who only falls to 7th round due to injury concerns. High motor DL fulfills “bigger, longer and stronger” initiative who comes ready made with above average quickness and handfighting to disengage from blocks/split double teams to make tackles behind the LOS.
Richardson & Kappa are a couple good OLine prospects though I think Kappa ends up playing at guard.

Richardson & Kappa are a couple good OLine prospects though I think Kappa ends up playing at guard.

I have him playing guard in the pros. Also think he could be that sixth OL in the package OB likes to run with an OL playing TE.

I’ll feel a lot better in short yardage situations when we’re at Gillette opening day and it’s 3rd and 2 with Richardson/Kappa pushing the pile when OB calls the handoff to Miller :)

Back