Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Red Zone

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
From the Texans' camp coverage on houstontexans.com:

What probably drives Capers a little more batty is that the Texans were actually one of the better teams in the league in the red zone -- the real estate where these last-minute battles are usually won and lost. Houston ranked fifth in the NFL in red zone scoring in 2003 with a 94.1 scoring efficiency. The Texans ranked eighth in the league in red zone scoring defense.

Somewhat surprising numbers to me, but should be taken in context with:

Trouble is, the Texans need to get their offense there more, and keep their defense there less. Houston tied the Raiders for the fewest trips (34) inside the red zone. The NFL average was 48. The Texans' opponents cracked the red zone 52 times.

So basically the Texans on both sides of the ball played a whole lot better from the goal line to the 20 than between the 20's--although even with all the injuries, the D was still much closer to NFL average on opportunities given in the red-zone than the O was at getting opportunities. Keep the goal line to 20 performance and improve on both sides in between the 20's and you're looking at much improved results.

How many FGs did we have in the redzone last year? Thats the key. We had around 3 redzone trips inside the redzone aginst the Dolphins, but had to settle for 3 FGs instead of 3 TDs. Look at the TD% in the redzone, which I am too lazy to find right now.

Fiddy said:
How many FGs did we have in the redzone last year? Thats the key. We had around 3 redzone trips inside the redzone aginst the Dolphins, but had to settle for 3 FGs instead of 3 TDs. Look at the TD% in the redzone, which I am too lazy to find right now.

Haven't found an easy source for TD%'s league wide. From looking at the Texans' player stats, and a little memory which may be very fallible, it appears the Texans had 34 red-zone opportunities, 2 with no score, 19 TD's (which is 56% of opportunities or 60% of scores) and 13 FG's (and by the way Brown only missed one FG inside the 50 last year).

I honestly would have thought the number of FGs to be reversed with the TD number. My perception was more FGs after stalling on the 10yrd line...things like that.

I do wonder what the league ratio of TD/FG and where we fell out in that.

I think the worst 20 yards for the Texans is from the 50 to the opponents 30. I don't know how many times we crossed midfield last year but didn't do anything with it.

Combine a defense that forced only 22 turnovers (27th in the NFL) with an offense that was 30th in 3rd down conversions gives you a team not capable of driving the length of the field, but needing to do just that to score.

A revamped O-line and more maturity as a whole should spell a major improvement in 3rd down conversions. Better pressure on the opponents QB should raise the turnover totals. The Texan FO has attempted to answer these weaknesses this offseason. That's all we could have asked from them.

Back