Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The difference in the game (IMHO)

RTP2110

All Pro
I think the difference in the game that caused us to lose was GB's ability and our disablilty to creat pressure with a 4 man rush. I saw numerous times in the 2nd half where Carr was under severe pressure coming from only a 4 man rush. I think that allowed GB to drop alot of guys into coverage, and it killed our passing game.

lilled our passing game ,,,it was dead david carr only atempted 10 passes in the second half and completed 6 of them,,,, we ran the ball 85% of the time in the 2nd half ! Kind of hard to kill something when its already dead !

TexansTrueFan said:
lilled our passing game ,,,it was dead david carr only atempted 10 passes in the second half and completed 6 of them,,,, we ran the ball 85% of the time in the 2nd half ! Kind of hard to kill something when its already dead !

Carr threw it 11 times and completed 5 passes. He ran once and was sacked twice. That's 14 pass plays. We ran the ball 11 times in the second half. So we actually called pass 56% in the second half and ran it 44%.

well dang man i was just estimating,,,but good job,,,none the less when our running games not working,,thats still to many running play !

Carr threw it 11 times and completed 5 passes. He ran once and was sacked twice. That's 14 pass plays. We ran the ball 11 times in the second half. So we actually called pass 56% in the second half and ran it 44%.

Carr threw terrible pass routs, like the team has not practiced all week!

RTP2110 said:
I think the difference in the game that caused us to lose was GB's ability and our disablilty to creat pressure with a 4 man rush. I saw numerous times in the 2nd half where Carr was under severe pressure coming from only a 4 man rush. I think that allowed GB to drop alot of guys into coverage, and it killed our passing game.
agreed. that has been hurting us all season. Another key for me is their 3rd down effeciency 8 of 17 with the big one being 3rd and 15 and they pick it up on the drive for their TD.

I really think what killed us was our determination to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down throughout the fourth quarter. I would have liked to have seen us mix it up and get some first downs. Didn't we go 3 and out our last 3-4 times we touched the ball?

I didn't get to watch much of the game but the GB LB # 59 sure played well in the parts I did see. He was all over the field.

TheOgre said:
I really think what killed us was our determination to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down throughout the fourth quarter. I would have liked to have seen us mix it up and get some first downs. Didn't we go 3 and out our last 3-4 times we touched the ball?

Three and out the last three times.

Do you remember first and ten at the GB 34? We are leading 13-3.

First down: incomplete pass to AJ

Second down: end around to AJ for -9 yards

Third down: Carr sacked -11 yards

Turning point of the game. If ever there was a good time to go 2 or three straight runs up the middle, this was it. Kick a field goal go up 16-3. :violin

ok ok so we had one bad series when we threw the ball and got nothing, instead of running it ,,,but i saw more running on 1st and 2nd down in the fourth quater than i have ever seen !!! I knew what they were gonna do before they even got to the line of scrimage,,,so if i know i'm sure defenses have picked up on it as well !!!!! Our OC is getting to predictable,,,pretty bad when fans can call what plays we're gonna run next !

We held Green Bay's offense to 16 points, including one heck of a good and close kick to end the game. I'd say our defense did very well--although I'm still not seeing enough pressure on the QB. Watching that game, I got the impression that pressuring Farve is extremely difficult anyway, because he seems to get rid of the ball quickly, while still managing to throw deep. The guy's just good. They got no help at all from our offense in the 4th quarter. Otherwise, they might have held the Pack to even less.

Offensively? 13 points in a big game at home? 4th quarter equals 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out? This was a bad game offensively. I did see a few situations where I would not have attempted running and they did it anyway. It's almost like the coaches sometimes say, "Hey, guys, we're not going to win a lot of games if we can't run, so we're going to run RIGHT NOW. I don't care if it specifically costs us this particular game. We're gonna run." At some point, late in a game like this, you have to realize that running is just a waist of a down. That's all it is. I know that running is very important. I know that they need to try to run in every game, but there comes a time when you must admit that you just can't do it, successfully I mean.

At the same time, I must say that it is, and was against GB also, very freaking obvious that this team needs a running game in the worst way. The passing game is hurting A LOT because there is no running game, but they have to do something and running is only good for resting the receivers at this point. I don't know if it's more because the line can't run block well enough, they're not used to the new scheme, Davis is not used to it, or Davis just isn't that great. I suspect it's a LOT of all of the above. Well, except that Davis does have talent, if he can stay healthy--which I doubt myself.

I must also say that Carr is (as everyone knows) is consistently audibling pass plays into run plays, which are presently useless--so the coaches can't be blamed every time we get 1.1 yds. and a cloud of dust. I hope he's not doing this because of a scary blitz package right into the lane he expects Davis to run through, because that's what it sometimes looks like. "Hey, they're gonna blitz so lets give DD the ball and have him run right into the whole freakin lot of 'em! That'll teach 'em!" I'm sure Carr isn't stupid, but how about audibling to a pass to a receiver or tight end who would've normally been covered by one of those same LBs that is now blitzing (in that area behind the D-line)? Why does every audible have to be a run play and isn't that like telling the defense, "Hey, we're gonna run in right up the gut--right where you're all gonna be, so get ready!"

But, it's all starting with a decrepit run game. Our run game sux. They can focus on the pass all day long and also get a consistent pass rush with 4 down lineman (sometimes 3). I don't know exactly what this team needs to do to fix the run game, but I know that that is our problem--and they need to stop pretending that it's gonna work after it's failed all day long.

I must also say that Carr is (as everyone knows) is consistently audibling pass plays into run plays, which are presently useless--so the coaches can't be blamed every time we get 1.1 yds. and a cloud of dust. I hope he's not doing this because of a scary blitz package right into the lane he expects Davis to run through, because that's what it sometimes looks like. "Hey, they're gonna blitz so lets give DD the ball and have him run right into the whole freakin lot of 'em! That'll teach 'em!" I'm sure Carr isn't stupid, but how about audibling to a pass to a receiver or tight end who would've normally been covered by one of those same LBs that is now blitzing (in that area behind the D-line)? Why does every audible have to be a run play and isn't that like telling the defense, "Hey, we're gonna run in right up the gut--right where you're all gonna be, so get ready!"QUOTE]

well considering its the coaches that tell carr the plays to audible to it has nothing to do with carr. Its still the coaches call its not like manning with the colts when he can change it to a hail mary if he wants !! They dont trust Carr with the offense yet. I dont trust Capers or the OC with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suspected that he wasn't allowed to do what I'm asking for, but I just didn't know for sure.

I just want to also point out that we just lost a very close game to a very good team, so I'm not as upset as I probably sound. I sure would like to see DD (or somebody) break out with a few 120 yd. and 4.? aypc games, though, and this team is not where they should be in the win/loss column at this point. 4-6 would have been good last year. It's a little dissappointing this year. They need to win half of their games this year.

Back