Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The 4th down conversion

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
for a 1st down was what decided this game. A very good and corageous call. I suspect the wind had something to do with it and the fact I believe they used their last time out to make that call. If they gave the ball back to the bears at that point the bears could have scored a touchdown to go ahead in the ball game. That was an excellent call and I take my hat off to the coaches. They made a necessary and good call. When you make the long one, its easier to get the short one. I hope we continue to improve, but the bears aren't the greatest challenge on the block and we were not looking that great in the 3rd qtr. This game was a lot closer than it looked on the score board.

Against a team with a better offense, I would agree with you, which would be the vast majority of the time. I thought they should have just punted a short one out of bounds by having him aim at the space between the 5 and 10 yard line. They were lucky to complete that 4th down play, in terms of how bad the pass protection was all day. They weren't doing well offensively and the opponent was nonexistent. No way Chicage gets that ball at the 10 yard line and drives all the way down field. But, they did convert and it worked out fine, so I'll shut up now, lol.

A lot of us have been critical of not going for the win and breaking the will of the other team. That's what that call was all about. They did it and that put the game away. Its like all-in in Texas Holdem.

Ibar_Harry said:
A lot of us have been critical of not going for the win and breaking the will of the other team. That's what that call was all about. They did it and that put the game away. Its like all-in in Texas Holdem.

Nice theory and all, but this was exactly the same kind of analytical play calling the Texans do every week, not some kind of testosterone aggression. The Texans were on the Bears 31. Stanley had been inconsistant all day so the odds of getting much of a field position advantage out of punting were nil. Both kickers were having problems--a field goal attempt would have been 48 yards. Miss the field goal and you put them on the 38 instead of 31--might as well pass on 4th down. It wasn't some kind of hallmark for a new attitude, it was a smart play.

Ibar, you're going to love this. Before the 4th down conversion, the Texans ran the game clock out trying to get Stanley a better angle on the coffin kick. The Bears declined the penalty, and the Texans call ed a TO to go over there options. The wind made the FGA a tough chance, and if the wind got the punt and took it in the end zone, the net gain in field position would be only 11 yards.

So the Bears really forced the Texans into going for the 1st down. Carr and Bradford came through, demoralizing the Bears D, and that was pretty much the ball game. Maybe that success will give the Texans staff the confidence to "go for it" the next time.

Lucky said:
The Bears declined the penalty, and the Texans call ed a TO to go over there options.
So the Bears really forced the Texans into going for the 1st down. Carr and Bradford came through, demoralizing the Bears D, and that was pretty much the ball game. Maybe that success will give the Texans staff the confidence to "go for it" the next time.

There's a call that came back to bite Lovie in the ace. that broke them for good.

I'm not disagreeing with any of your posts, but it was the thing to do. The downside risks were low and it was a chance to put the game away. We did it and I said I congradulated the coaches on making what I thought was the right decision. Many games in the NFL are decided on a particular play in so far as it changes the momentum and the other team never recovers. This was one of those kind of plays. My point is that the wind was blowing and 3 points was not going to put the game away. In fact a touchdown by the Bears would then have put them up by 1 if we had used the field goal option and scored. The Texans have to relax and let the players play. Its like an average Texas Holdem player playing against the best. Your best option is to go all-in. We need to play more aggressive and let the cards speak.

The game was over after we scored a TD. The Texans could have kneeled the ball and punted the rest of the game and still won with the shutout intact. The Bears offense is that bad.

i think it was a good call becasue the bears weren't going to do anything with the ball anyway, we could have given it to them on our 25 and they probably couldn't score. if we didn't have the wind then i think that we should have punted it.

Back